Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zenn7

Re: Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:52 pm
Redfive wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:19 pm Moscow has finally fallen in my game with Zenn7. That was touch and go...soo many fighters in Moscow. I just needed a round where my first salvo could get through to the fighters and that finally happened. And not a turn too soon because I would have been in a world of hurt in the Fatherland. It is still a fight but I think Germany is going to prevail.

I'll happily eat crow if the allies can pull it off though.
Think you had some pretty danged good luck there. Thought they'd hold out til the UK turn. Then I was going to put 2 more fighters there to hold out through the Japanese turn. Then I didn't figure you were going to be able to put out enough to really continue w/ the UK and US moving in.

But I did buy at least 1 more turn to turn the tide.
Tried to take Germany, 4 tanks, 4 infantry, 2 fighters against 6 infantry, 1 arty, 4 fighters. It was a bit of a desperate move. But even then, it could have gone much better. Round 1, with 7 2's to potentially roll, Germany hit with 6. The fighters finished off the tanks, attack over.

At this point, I think I need some miracle rolls like that to turn this around.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:59 am
Redfive wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:19 pm Moscow has finally fallen in my game with Zenn7. That was touch and go...soo many fighters in Moscow. I just needed a round where my first salvo could get through to the fighters and that finally happened. And not a turn too soon because I would have been in a world of hurt in the Fatherland. It is still a fight but I think Germany is going to prevail.

Think you had some pretty danged good luck there. Thought they'd hold out til the UK turn. Then I was going to put 2 more fighters there to hold out through the Japanese turn. Then I didn't figure you were going to be able to put out enough to really continue w/ the UK and US moving in.

Tried to take Germany, 4 tanks, 4 infantry, 2 fighters against 6 infantry, 1 arty, 4 fighters. It was a bit of a desperate move. But even then, it could have gone much better. Round 1, with 7 2's to potentially roll, Germany hit with 6. The fighters finished off the tanks, attack over.

I was just coming to post that I think we still have a pretty good game going even with Moscow in German hands. Before your turn above I would have said I was cautiously optimistic. Not knowing how many of my units died in Germany, I'm not sure but I would agree that it looks significantly better for me now. I'll be reinforcing the coasts and pushing the UK out of Karelia / Scandanavia (hopefully).

I like the move to take the factory in East Asia. That could have caused some real problems but I think with my 2 INF and 4 fighters I can push to take it back.

This has been a good game however it turns out.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Redfive wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:05 am

I was just coming to post that I think we still have a pretty good game going even with Moscow in German hands. Before your turn above I would have said I was cautiously optimistic. Not knowing how many of my units died in Germany, I'm not sure but I would agree that it looks significantly better for me now. I'll be reinforcing the coasts and pushing the UK out of Karelia / Scandanavia (hopefully).

I like the move to take the factory in East Asia. That could have caused some real problems but I think with my 2 INF and 4 fighters I can push to take it back.

I had hoped for better roles in Manchuria too, but you got moderately lucky (not Germany level of luck or I would have lost). Now I have to get really lucky (though I guess if you're willing to waste enough fighters, no amount of luck is going to fix that).

It has been a good game, very close before. My gamble on Germany was my best hope of turning it around. Winning there would have put me in a good position to turn this around. Thought about reinforcing Karelia, but I just didn't think that would be worth it. Would have taken 2 turns to get that army to Russia (maybe one for just the tanks if I could keep a path cleared), but even 1 more turn would have let you fortify Russia and Germany enough to make that fail.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Stupid Russian tanks - dodged my shots for three straight rounds to make the combat a draw. Grrrr.

I think it will end after the American's turn.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:17 pm Stupid Russian tanks - dodged my shots for three straight rounds to make the combat a draw. Grrrr.

Yup, over now. Nothing notable on the American turn other than liberating Iran, strategic bombing India, and finishing the rebuild of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.

Kind of interesting that (per the war summary) Japan still had more "attack power" (which I assume is aggregated attack of all units on the board) than any Allied power. Though far less than the Allies combined, and it was close (Japan 81, UK 78, US 65, Russia 19, or something like that).

Good game.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:32 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:17 pm Stupid Russian tanks - dodged my shots for three straight rounds to make the combat a draw. Grrrr.

Yup, over now. Nothing notable on the American turn other than liberating Iran, strategic bombing India, and finishing the rebuild of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.

Kind of interesting that (per the war summary) Japan still had more "attack power" (which I assume is aggregated attack of all units on the board) than any Allied power. Though far less than the Allies combined, and it was close (Japan 81, UK 78, US 65, Russia 19, or something like that).

Good game.
I bought 7 subs on my last turn because why not? That might have had something to do with it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Wish it would keep the game for a while so you can look at the final map before it disappears.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Post it in the Steam forums. I got a response from the devs when I made a suggestion.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lassr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:40 pm Wish it would keep the game for a while so you can look at the final map before it disappears.
Yeah, it should keep a log of your previous games that would just show results and final map.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Ranked tournament game, I'm allies. I have a fleet parked between Japan and Manchuria (having just taken Manchuria.

1 BB, 1 Cruiser, 1 AC, 2 DD, 2 Subs, 2 fighters.

Japan attacks with 2 BB's, 1 AC, 5 fighters, 2 bombers.

Japan wins, with ZERO losses.

I expected I might lose. I didn't expect to lose quite THAT badly.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:45 pm Ranked tournament game, I'm allies. I have a fleet parked between Japan and Manchuria (having just taken Manchuria.

The dice can be fickle and I expect that is a major reason these kinds of games aren't very popular in the current board game environment. You can try to mitigate the luck factor but it will still bite you in the butt often enough.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Redfive wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:31 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:45 pm Ranked tournament game, I'm allies. I have a fleet parked between Japan and Manchuria (having just taken Manchuria.

The dice can be fickle and I expect that is a major reason these kinds of games aren't very popular in the current board game environment. You can try to mitigate the luck factor but it will still bite you in the butt often enough.
You just have to play the averages, and in general things will balance out over time. You're definitely going to wind up with a game every now and then where you get hosed by the dice at critical times, but that's how it goes.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

We up for another group game here?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:42 pm We up for another group game here?
I can play again
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sure
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

New game set up and invites sent to everyone who was in the last game (Lassr, Steisser, Red5 and the Guap).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Today's highlight in stupidity...
Ranked game as Axis. German turn round 3. While looking back at what the other nations had done, came back and hit end phase, think it was production phase and I'd picked my stuff.

It was the combat move phase... no combats this turn. :doh: :grund:

Somebody's likely getting an easier win now.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:36 pm New game set up and invites sent to everyone who was in the last game (Lassr, Steisser, Red5 and the Guap).
This is becoming like the werewolf games we played. Accuse  Stessier 

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So stessier....you planning on going?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Woah, sorry. I spent the weekend gardening and wasn't on the computer to see the game started. I was thinking I'd see on my phone when I got the email announcing the start...which I did, but I just missed it. I should be good now.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:32 am
Redfive wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:05 am

I had hoped for better roles in Manchuria too, but you got moderately lucky (not Germany level of luck or I would have lost). Now I have to get really lucky (though I guess if you're willing to waste enough fighters, no amount of luck is going to fix that).

It has been a good game, very close before. My gamble on Germany was my best hope of turning it around. Winning there would have put me in a good position to turn this around. Thought about reinforcing Karelia, but I just didn't think that would be worth it. Would have taken 2 turns to get that army to Russia (maybe one for just the tanks if I could keep a path cleared), but even 1 more turn would have let you fortify Russia and Germany enough to make that fail.
Redfive - I forfeited our game. There is no chance for me to do anything else to possibly come back before the end, figured we could skip Japan and the US going.

Good game!
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm pretty disappointed Leningrad fell so easily. :?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:03 am I'm pretty disappointed Leningrad fell so easily. :?
Leningrad is totally indefensible at the start of the game. I usually wind up leaving it defended by just 1 infantry as a result.
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

USA seems stuck in the mobilization phase. I think it did this with El Guapo in the previous game.

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:14 am
stessier wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:03 am I'm pretty disappointed Leningrad fell so easily. :?
Leningrad is totally indefensible at the start of the game. I usually wind up leaving it defended by just 1 infantry as a result.
This.

When I play Russia I do the same.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Lassr wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:41 am USA seems stuck in the mobilization phase. I think it did this with El Guapo in the previous game.
Weird. I can't check until I get home today but I will.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Redfive (and anyone else who wants to) - up for another 1 on 1 game?
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:10 pm Redfive (and anyone else who wants to) - up for another 1 on 1 game?
Sure, flip sides?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Redfive wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:23 pm
Lassr wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:41 am USA seems stuck in the mobilization phase. I think it did this with El Guapo in the previous game.
Still shows it stuck in Mobilization. I see the numbers 4 in the US and off the coast where you placed the infantry and transports.

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Lassr wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 pm
Still shows it stuck in Mobilization. I see the numbers 4 in the US and off the coast where you placed the infantry and transports.
Yeah, I placed my units and then must have hit exit :oops:

I just had to hit end turn, apologies.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Redfive wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 pm
Lassr wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 pm
Yeah, I placed my units and then must have hit exit :oops:

I just had to hit end turn, apologies.
No problem, was wondering if we had found a bug.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Redfive wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:58 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:10 pm Redfive (and anyone else who wants to) - up for another 1 on 1 game?
Sure, flip sides?
Works for me. :)
stessier

Post by stessier »

German infantry are dead-eye shots. First round, I managed to cobble together three hits from 2 infantry, 1 artillery, and 3 tanks taking down all three German infantry present. The three infantry managed to all hit on their turn. Grrrrrrrr.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:52 am German infantry are dead-eye shots. First round, I managed to cobble together three hits from 2 infantry, 1 artillery, and 3 tanks taking down all three German infantry present. The three infantry managed to all hit on their turn. Grrrrrrrr.
duplicate post...board is really slow this morning.
Last edited by Lassr on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:52 am German infantry are dead-eye shots. First round, I managed to cobble together three hits from 2 infantry, 1 artillery, and 3 tanks taking down all three German infantry present. The three infantry managed to all hit on their turn. Grrrrrrrr.
Russians are too nervous. they are afraid if they do not perform well they'll be shot in the back by their own men. Germans are as cool as cucumbers...and as deadly as Pickle Rick.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:38 am
Russians are too nervous. they are afraid if they do not perform well they'll be shot in the back by their own men. Germans are as cool as cucumbers...and as deadly as Pickle Rick.
They aren't in the ranked online game I won overnight as (allies forfeited after Russia fell). Japanese attack a lone Russian infantry in the tundra, 3 units of infantry and a fighter.
Round 1 - 3 Japanese Infantry and a Fighter - all misses.
1 Russian Infantry - hit.
Round 2 - 2 Japanese infantry and the fighter - all misses.
1 Russian Infantry - hit.
Round 3 - 1 Japanese infantry and the fighter - finally get a hit!
1 Russian infantry - hit.
Russia got to keep that territory a few more turns (wasn't worth the fighter to take it).

EDIT: that was an online axis game, but not the one the other player forfeited. That was a game where I was the allies and I thought I was likely to lose. Russia and India fell, but the US had taken Manchuria (and the Japanese factory they built there) and whatever that Japanese victory city on the cost below Manchuria is.
Last edited by Zenn7 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I'm feeling like the allies are off to a bad start in this game.

Though the UK navy in the Pacific is doing better than anticipated (most likely at the cost of India falling too soon).
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:11 pm I'm feeling like the allies are off to a bad start in this game.

Though the UK navy in the Pacific is doing better than anticipated (most likely at the cost of India falling too soon).
Check in game messages.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Redfive wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:25 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:11 pm I'm feeling like the allies are off to a bad start in this game.

Check in game messages.
Replied and another note besides for your reading pleasure.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:03 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 am I believe the IsgCq game just saw the largest cost of units destroyed that I've ever seen. I believe that the Japanese and UK accounted for ~100 IPC of units each.
Well, you said India could produce Battleships instead of tanks... the British Pacific fleet is probably having it's best game ever here.

Just hope Germany isn't going to run away with the game while I'm at it. Russia has at least 1 more turn before it's an issue.
Playing an online ranked game - I'm axis. The allied player built a Battleship and 2 infantry in India for turn 1, a battleship and 2 subs for turn 2. The US Pacific fleet is unopposed after a turn 1 strike on the Hawaii fleet, can't get enough concentrated naval power to take this UK fleet down.