Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lassr

Re: Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

Post by Lassr »

I can't play at the moment, may be a few days where I will be away and will miss my turn. I am up for another game next week hopefully

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Sent out invites.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Japan in my online tournament game attacked my US navy with his whole Japanese naval and air force. Fortunately I moved a surviving UK sub in with the US navy (it made good armor if nothing else).
Japan: 1 AC, 2 fighters, 2 bombers, 1 BB, 1 DD, 3 transports
US: 2 AC, 4 fighters, 1 cruiser, 1 DD, 1 sub, 1 transport

He left with his BB and 3 transports, back to Japan. He loaded the transports up with 6 infantry. He built a sub.

I had 2 AC, 1 cruiser and the transport. I attacked with those and a DD that was able to join. He sunk the DD. Lucky rolls for me, I sunk his whole fleet, including the 3 transports with 6 infantry. No clue why he loaded the infantry while he was still in the Japan sea zone. But hey, I'm not complaining, it was a helpful turning point.

Allies own all the islands (worth points) other than Japan in the Pacific. Which is good, Japan has India, a factory in Indo-China and 6 largely unopposed tanks on the mainland.

Germany might take Russia this round, but guessing he won't go yet. He has to retake France (he keeps leaving it nearly undefended, along with Italy, but I haven't been able to take out his AC in the area yet). But this turn, I'll be able to move UK 2 tanks, 2 art, 4 infantry to mainland Europe (unless his whole 4 fighters and 1 bomber are able to sink my 2 DD's, AC and 2 Fighters to take out all the transports (which are not carrying troops)).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just played a single player campaign as the Allies. Semi-hilariously, on the first turn the Japanese AI built a factory in Manchuria, then attacked China with his available infantry, apparently getting terrible rolls and getting wiped out. That left the new factory in Manchuria defended by a single fighter. So China / the U.S. attacked Manchuria with two infantry and the Chinese fighter, and took it. Russia reinforced across the border, so that meant starting on turn 2 the U.S. had a factory available and cranking out troops in China. Made the Pacific front much easier.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Started another online tournament game last night, as the Axis this time.

The Russian player did 2 things I've never seen before. Built a bomber on turn 1 (and 4 infantry). And attacked not only Western Russia (he won) and BeloRussia (he lost, no hits on me), but also whatever that is next to them (Ukraine?) where the bomber gets moved to in the tournament rules. He won, killed my bomber and fighter (3 infantry, 1 tank and 1 artillery as well). Only lost 2 infantry for it.

Adding insult to injury, my 2 fighters and 2 subs attacked the UK navy (the Russian sub was not moved to join them, but over to Greenland where it was safe). I lost. Got the DD, 1 hit on the BB - so he's got his BB and transport still. The other German sub I sent after the Cruiser of Gibraltar, lost there too.

Not a really great opening. At least my land offensives went better.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Is it just me, or does everyone get the "The Battle has Begun Without You" email notice followed by a Game Start email whenever a game starts even though you properly in the game?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

stessier wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:16 am Is it just me, or does everyone get the "The Battle has Begun Without You" email notice followed by a Game Start email whenever a game starts even though you properly in the game?
Didn't originally, but have been the last few games. Not for tournament games though. Thought I'd just missed some invite or something, but I figured I couldn't have missed that many, glad you pointed it out.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:13 pm
stessier wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:16 am Is it just me, or does everyone get the "The Battle has Begun Without You" email notice followed by a Game Start email whenever a game starts even though you properly in the game?
Didn't originally, but have been the last few games. Not for tournament games though. Thought I'd just missed some invite or something, but I figured I couldn't have missed that many, glad you pointed it out.
Same here - I hadn't received it before, but just got it for this game.

Anyway, I took my turn, fighting off the fascist hordes.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I tried to expand the Vaterland. It went okay. The British navy was a bit more problematic than I'd hoped...
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

stessier wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:35 pm I tried to expand the Vaterland. It went okay. The British navy was a bit more problematic than I'd hoped...
They're good at that. :)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Started a new tournament game as the allies. Russia's first turn... totally crappy rolls. Doesn't bode well for the rest of that game.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Just played a single player as the Allies and Russia took Germany! I've said it before the AI is not aggressive if you have a sizeable force defending. I was able to take Norway and reinforce it with the US (and I didn't screw up any of my non combat moves). The UK took France and then lost it, but then the US took it and held. Germany had all it's armor in Karelia protecting against my Norway Force and I was able to take Berlin the next turn as UK and the territory between Karelia and Berlin thus blocking his 10 tanks from blitzing into Berlin. US did nothing in the pacific, and UK lost India but had 8 infantry in the territory next door so I kept them there and let the Japanese attack and they lost leaving them with no troops nearby, I took my 2 remaining infantry and marched back into India. Then the US took Italy and it was game over.

Again, if I was facing a human I doubt Russia would have broken out like they did without a LOT of really bad rolls.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:14 pm
stessier wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:35 pm I tried to expand the Vaterland. It went okay. The British navy was a bit more problematic than I'd hoped...
They're good at that. :)
And remains problematic. Argh!
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Imperial Japanese Naval ships and marines were able to sweep the sea and secure India on turn 2 of the new domination game.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:46 am Started another online tournament game last night, as the Axis this time.

The Russian player did 2 things I've never seen before. Built a bomber on turn 1 (and 4 infantry). And attacked not only Western Russia (he won) and BeloRussia (he lost, no hits on me), but also whatever that is next to them (Ukraine?) where the bomber gets moved to in the tournament rules. He won, killed my bomber and fighter (3 infantry, 1 tank and 1 artillery as well). Only lost 2 infantry for it.

Adding insult to injury, my 2 fighters and 2 subs attacked the UK navy (the Russian sub was not moved to join them, but over to Greenland where it was safe). I lost. Got the DD, 1 hit on the BB - so he's got his BB and transport still. The other German sub I sent after the Cruiser of Gibraltar, lost there too.

Germany is sucking hard in this game. The UK has a sizeable Atlantic navy, 3 transports, and little I have been able to do to slow them down. Turn 4 and the Russians built a tank, getting somewhat offensive and I have haven't taken much of theirs with Germany yet. We were losing Africa too, so I sent some units there to take back a territory, and slow his offensive. Then I tried a gamble to deal with the the sizeable UK fleet in the Baltic with free reign (he's got a DD, Cruiser, Battleship, Aircraft Carrier, 2 fighters and 3 transports). Put all my money into subs, 6 of them in the Baltic. If he moves out and comes back w/ reinforcements, he'll probably slaughter them, but hoping they take at least a few out with them. The alternate plan was to build 4 fighters, but I figured the subs, he has to keep his DD or his planes can't fight and my hits are sneak attack/first hits, so he'll have to sac more expensive units instead. If he doesn't come back/stick around to fight them, I will attack him with them. Might be able to use the couple fighters I have left to help. Then see what's left of Germany in Europe (got Germany, France and NW Europe reasonably well guarded; the Eastern front is ready to be steamrolled all along the borders).

Fortunately, the Japanese are doing OK (not great, UK navy's gone, stalemate with the US navy, but think they're a bit out of position at the moment). They are making some progress towards Russia, have all the US China, but India is a no go and might break out.

Either the subs do miraculously well, Japan does insanely good or I am toast.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:34 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:46 am Started another online tournament game last night, as the Axis this time.

Germany is sucking hard in this game. The UK has a sizeable Atlantic navy, 3 transports, and little I have been able to do to slow them down. Turn 4 and the Russians built a tank, getting somewhat offensive and I have haven't taken much of theirs with Germany yet. We were losing Africa too, so I sent some units there to take back a territory, and slow his offensive. Then I tried a gamble to deal with the the sizeable UK fleet in the Baltic with free reign (he's got a DD, Cruiser, Battleship, Aircraft Carrier, 2 fighters and 3 transports). Put all my money into subs, 6 of them in the Baltic. If he moves out and comes back w/ reinforcements, he'll probably slaughter them, but hoping they take at least a few out with them. The alternate plan was to build 4 fighters, but I figured the subs, he has to keep his DD or his planes can't fight and my hits are sneak attack/first hits, so he'll have to sac more expensive units instead. If he doesn't come back/stick around to fight them, I will attack him with them. Might be able to use the couple fighters I have left to help. Then see what's left of Germany in Europe (got Germany, France and NW Europe reasonably well guarded; the Eastern front is ready to be steamrolled all along the borders).

Fortunately, the Japanese are doing OK (not great, UK navy's gone, stalemate with the US navy, but think they're a bit out of position at the moment). They are making some progress towards Russia, have all the US China, but India is a no go and might break out.

Either the subs do miraculously well, Japan does insanely good or I am toast.
Japan had a semi-decent turn.

Took Alaska, got a tank there. He can move a tank to attack me or a tank and infantry to block me (plus whatever he buys). If nothing, I could rol right into Western US. Wiped out 3 infantry w/ no losses to take whatever the Russian territory immediately west of China is. Sunk 3 dd's the US had built in the Pacific for the cost of a sub.

Screwed up and built a transport. If my sub would have beat his sub I attacked, all would have been well. But since my sub got sunk, he's going to sink the undefended transport I have there next turn. He could, in theory, try for Japan with offshore bombardment, 2 infantry and 2 planes (don't think his bomber can make it). I have 2 infantry and 2 fighters for defense. As I sort of hope to turn this around, I hope he doesn't, but as I think I'm going to lose, I wouldn't be so upset to be put out of my misery (not that taking Japan will be an immediate win, but I could forfeit with grace if my turns do not go exceptionally well rather than drag it out).

EDIT: OH! And the sub gambit paid off! Sunk his BB, DD, Cruiser, Aircraft carrier, 1 transport with an art and inf in it! Lost 5 of the 6 subs, but UK currently has no offensive navy in the Atlantic. Assuming the US will sink the sub with the 2 DD's he's got. Otherwise, I'll sink the UK's 2 loaded transports if the US doesn't provide defense. That could be the break Germany really needs!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:14 am
EDIT: OH! And the sub gambit paid off! Sunk his BB, DD, Cruiser, Aircraft carrier, 1 transport with an art and inf in it! Lost 5 of the 6 subs, but UK currently has no offensive navy in the Atlantic. Assuming the US will sink the sub with the 2 DD's he's got. Otherwise, I'll sink the UK's 2 loaded transports if the US doesn't provide defense. That could be the break Germany really needs!
the best strategies live or die with the dice. The dice God's smiled upon you.

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

That attempt at Japan was waay closer than I would have ever guessed it would be. I honestly didn't think you would take the shot and it very nearly paid off. That would have been the ball game if it had worked.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

be nice to be able to observe games.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Redfive wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:02 am That attempt at Japan was waay closer than I would have ever guessed it would be. I honestly didn't think you would take the shot and it very nearly paid off. That would have been the ball game if it had worked.
Losing my fleet and only taking out two submarines in the process doesn't make that pill any easier to swallow.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

In my ranked play game above where I'm the allies, Russia fell to Germany. Same turn, UK took Germany - so all the IPC the Germans got from Russia were raided along w/ all of Germany's regular IPC. :)

Damn shame I couldn't keep Germany. But currently, they have no navy, Japan has no navy, US navy in the Pacific is ruling strong and about to take the Philippines, then they or UK will get Borneo (whatever the 4 IPC island is to the SW). UK put a factory in the other 4 IPC island over there w/ all their IPC (120!) - 3 fighters in India (should help prevent India from falling for this turn at least). Atlantic fleet is getting build up (couple of destroyers, but all that IPC got us a BB, Aircraft Carrier and 2 fighters. :)

Unfortunately, India is the only ally controlled mainland territory in all of Europe, Asia and Africa at the moment (OK, the UK took NW Europe, with 1 Infantry, and the US is going to put a tank and Infantry in undefended Italy; but expecting Germany will retake both on their next turn and then they will spend their 72 IPC to build something up to stop me).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:24 pm
Redfive wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:02 am That attempt at Japan was waay closer than I would have ever guessed it would be. I honestly didn't think you would take the shot and it very nearly paid off. That would have been the ball game if it had worked.
Losing my fleet and only taking out two submarines in the process doesn't make that pill any easier to swallow.
Yeah, the Allies are straight up doomed at this point.

As a side note, I think Russia is the least interesting power to play as, at least in this version. Russia has some interesting strategic choices to make on turn 1, maybe turn 2, but after that it's largely "build more infantry and artillery, attack the weakest spot in the German line, wait either for the U.S. and U.K. to bail you out or for the cold embrace of death."
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Germantown, MD has been liberated!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:50 am Germantown, MD has been liberated!
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that's *bad* for the Allies.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The invaders have been eliminated.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:50 pm The invaders have been eliminated.
But not before they made off with all your IPCs!!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Well that sucked. Russia hit 5x with 5 rolls of 2 and 2 rolls at 3. And then I messed up my non-combat moves. The Wehrmacht is not operating at a very high efficiency. Sigh.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:50 am Well that sucked. Russia hit 5x with 5 rolls of 2 and 2 rolls at 3. And then I messed up my non-combat moves. The Wehrmacht is not operating at a very high efficiency. Sigh.
That may give me another turn to live.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

:angry-cussingblack:

My tournament game where I'm the allies and have all the islands, had a plan and transports/troops (4 artillery and 4 infantry with 2 fighters for support; though he'd probably just plow people into Russia and defend it easily) to take the territory north of Russia next turn and see if I could liberate Russia. Probably wouldn't have worked, but it was worth a shot. Except I forgot to do my non-combat move w/ the bulk of my navy. Now all I can do is all or nothing against Germany. If I won, that would greatly improve my odds of winning (mega IPC boost, no construction for a turn for him, and that's assuming I don't hold it, which I probably won't). Don't think my odds are so good, and that's assuming he didn't reinforce this turn.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, that's the end for Russia. At least I successfully kept the Germans out of Moscow.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

If the Axis win this game, it's not going to be for my lack of trying to throw it. Geesh.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

If?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm up for a new game, as the one I'm in is effectively over. Anyone else interested?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'll play in another but only if no one else wants the spot.

I'm also fine if people would prefer to end the current game, although I'm not at all confident I won't find a way to lose it.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

We don’t need to play it out unless we want a Man in the High Castle reenactment.

I’m always up for a game, even if it’s 1v1, just send an invite.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'll admit that I don't totally understand the value of "total domination" victory conditions, as it seems like it's going to be very rare for one side to hit the normal victory conditions cities but not go on to win under total domination.

New game:

El Guapo
RedFive
Stessier
Zenn7

Also Redfive, I'd be interested in a one on one game as well, probably using the Alternate (Larry Gencon) set up. Would you have a preference on side?
Last edited by El Guapo on Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:20 pm I'll admit that I don't totally understand the value of "total domination" victory conditions, as it seems like it's going to be very rare for one side to hit the normal victory conditions cities but not go on to win under total domination.

New game:

El Guapo
RedFive
Stessier

Also Redfive, I'd be interested in a one on one game as well, probably using the Alternate (Larry Gencon) set up. Would you have a preference on side?
No, I'm fine with either.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:20 pm I'll admit that I don't totally understand the value of "total domination" victory conditions, as it seems like it's going to be very rare for one side to hit the normal victory conditions cities but not go on to win under total domination.

New game:

El Guapo
RedFive
Stessier

I'm happy to join another game (if I haven't worn out my welcome).

As for the existing game, UK has 1 last hail mary play. Which, even if it succeeds is probably just going to buy us another couple turns. So I'm OK with ending if my allies are. I'd say grats to the Axis, but mostly, it looks like grats to Japan. :p
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:39 pm :angry-cussingblack:

My tournament game where I'm the allies and have all the islands, had a plan and transports/troops (4 artillery and 4 infantry with 2 fighters for support; though he'd probably just plow people into Russia and defend it easily) to take the territory north of Russia next turn and see if I could liberate Russia. Probably wouldn't have worked, but it was worth a shot. Except I forgot to do my non-combat move w/ the bulk of my navy. Now all I can do is all or nothing against Germany. If I won, that would greatly improve my odds of winning (mega IPC boost, no construction for a turn for him, and that's assuming I don't hold it, which I probably won't). Don't think my odds are so good, and that's assuming he didn't reinforce this turn.
I believe Germany was hopelessly well fortified (didn't have 4 transports, only 3, so couldn't move the full force) so I went for Kralia (sp?) in an effort to get to Russia. Got West Russia, then they wiped out most of my forces (just an infantry/art in Finland, they retook Kralia).

Now, UK is surrounded by the mighty German navy - the UK Navy is trapped in the Baltic. US sub forces were unable to significantly dent the German Navy. UK has deployed 4 to go after the second German fleet (he put a factory in France, put a transport, AC and 2 DD's, prepping to invade UK and win). 4 subs deployed there, though it doesn't matter much, he will be able to move wherever he wants before the actual fight.

Probably should have just gone w/ the Germany plan and let it fail there. Had I somehow won, it might have given me a chance.

We're currently advancing through Africa w/ the remaining US forces that were deployed there, on their way to India (they will get cut off, only moving to Egypt this coming turn), and fighting in SE Asia to maintain a beachhead. Japan still has no navy. Gathering up all those odd infantry units on islands out in the Pacific to supplement my limited production.

We're on turn 12. UK just finished. I have to think it will take him at least 2 more turns to take me out (though I supposed in theory, he might get me w/ 4 Fighters, 3 Bombers, 1 tank, 1 infantry against 3 inf/art and AA gun in UK this turn - he's also got 2 BB's for offshore bombardment).

This person will definitely have earned his victory here! I kept thinking here or there I might be able to do something, but just can't get anything to land and stick.

I'm now wondering what the longest number of turns played in a game of this is. :)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Redfive wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:50 pm

New game:

El Guapo
RedFive
Stessier

No, I'm fine with either.
After Guap's game is set up with you, let me know which side you are. if you want another 1v1, I'll take you on and let you play the other side for variety.