Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Post by Max Peck »

Early Access is no available on Steam. Until 13 April, there is a 10% discount, with an additional 10% if you have a prior version of M&B in your Steam library.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Post by coopasonic »

The about this game text on Steam is a little hard to read...
尊敬的各位《骑马与砍杀2:霸主》的玩家们:
非常抱歉,由于文件更新上的失误,目前的《骑马与砍杀2:霸主》所使用的简体中文翻译是数个版本之前的未完全版本。我们会竭力尽快修复这一失误,预计将在24-48小时内将《骑马与砍杀2:霸主》的简体中文文件更新至最新版本。
再次因我们不周全的失误向所有中文玩家致歉,同时感谢各位参与《骑马与砍杀2:霸主》中文化的玩家们的辛勤付出。
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:46 am The about this game text on Steam is a little hard to read...
非常抱歉,由于文件更新上的失误,目前的《骑马与砍杀2:霸主》所使用的简体中文翻译是数个版本之前的未完全版本。我们会竭力尽快修复这一失误,预计将在24-48小时内将《骑马与砍杀2:霸主》的简体中文文件更新至最新版本。
I'm not seeing that.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:46 am The about this game text on Steam is a little hard to read...
Google Translate wrote:Dear players of "Riding and Hacking 2: Overlord":
Sorry, due to a mistake in updating the document, the current simplified Chinese translation used in Riding and Chopping 2: Overlord is an incomplete version before several versions. We will do our best to fix this mistake as soon as possible, and we expect to update the simplified Chinese file of Riding and Chopping 2: Overlord to the latest version within 24-48 hours.
Once again, we apologize to all Chinese players for our inadequate mistakes, and thank you all for your hard work in participating in the culture in Horse Riding and Chopping 2: Overlord.
Microsoft Translator wrote:Dear players of Horse riding and chopping 2: Overlord:
We're sorry, because of a file update, the Chinese Simplified translation used in the current Ride and The Killing 2: Overlord is an incomplete version of several versions. We will try to fix this error as quickly as possible and expect to update the Chinese Simplified files of Horse riding and beheading 2: The Overlord to the latest version within 24-48 hours.
Once again, i apologize to all Chinese players for our incontotaled mistakes, and thank you for the hard work of the players who participated in the Chinese of "Horse riding and chopping 2: Overlord".
The real question seems to be "Why does Steam think you're in China?"

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It has changed now. Either way I am looking forward to Riding and Hacking 2: Overlord!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

"Horse Riding and Chopping" pretty much sums up my experience with the original Mount & Blade.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:30 am "Horse Riding and Chopping" pretty much sums up my experience with the original Mount & Blade.
Mine too. Until I learned how to actually use a lance. Then it was more "horse riding and spearing". :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pike to the head, na na!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:07 am Pike to the head, na na!
Was that a "Boot to the head" reference, or is my pop culture radar getting old?

Got furloughed from work for 2 weeks pending arrival of the bailout funds, so nice little pre-birthday (which will be spent in lockdown) present for me to finally see this released and actually have time to play it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:24 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:07 am Pike to the head, na na!
Was that a "Boot to the head" reference, or is my pop culture radar getting old?
It is.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Game seems awesome so far for what it's worth.

Few/very minor bugs despite being early access, and so far it's Mount & Blade, but better in every way... better UI, better graphics, better quests, but still M&B at heart.

Not sure if it's 10 years worth of polish, or however long it's been now, but it's certainly better all around.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Similar to games you've played:

Mount and Blade Warband
and
Factorio

uhhh, what?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:27 pm Similar to games you've played:

Mount and Blade Warband
and
Factorio

uhhh, what?
Extremely successful early access games?

I've got a few hours of Bannerlord in today, and haven't run into anything which feels "uncooked". No bugs noticed and lots of fun gameplay. I've only really scratched the early game stuff in one small area of the world however, and there's lots more to the game that I haven't attempted.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Still only working as a mercenary for one of the Empire factions, but accompanied the Emperor on my first siege last night:

I haven't been in control of any sieges yet, but it looks like there are some new mechanics based around the besieger and the besieged both building siege engines to defend and assault the fort. Overall sieges seem much more functional than they were in 1. AI attacker know where they need to go and how to get there, there are light defenses attacking missile troops can use for counter fire so they aren't instantly slaughtered, rams and siege towers can be brought up to make things easier on the attackers if they have them.

Large field battles are also a different beast now. For one thing, when a high lord forms an army, other lords can fully join with them and they become one large unit on the map, so less of the weirdness of 40 separate parties trying to join a large battle together. On the field, you can view where all the units are and the order interface is much smoother which makes command much easier. The AI generals also more competent now. For one thing if you're close to them you can hear enemy generals yelling out orders, but if you are selected to command a unit of the larger army in battle, you will also get periodic updates from your commander with orders as the battle goes on. They seem to know how to position infantry on strongpoints on the battlefield, they can hit and fade with cavalry, charge if they see an advantage. Pretty impressive when you're in the thick of it now, and it feels much different than the smaller skirmishes you fight in.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Nice first day:
Enlarge Image

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It has been a long ass time since I have played the original, but felt pretty at home here right away. I haven't gotten much play time in, but what I have feels good... and I am still pretty awful at mounted combat. I watched Cohh play a little bit this morning and he is a bit further in and much better at the combat. He actual wins tournaments (on the second or third try anyway)!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

It took a day, but my hundreds of hours of M&B 1 are starting to come back to me. :)

I've always been mediocre with a blade, but I finally got a couch-able lance and a mount that can gallop at a good clip a bit ago, and now I'm starting to be able to tear it up on the battlefield.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My character is good at polearms (screw you spell check, that is a word!)... and I have been using a sword this whole time. Never mind the limited reach of a sword from horseback.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I restarted to try to build my character a different way (more charming/leaderly - less murdery) and I just don't know what to do. I guess I should join a faction or start a shop or both. I just don't know how to pick. Maybe I'll just keep watching videos of other people playing.

I really like the tactical play but need to understand it more. There are so many options when it comes to giving orders.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Party is maxxed at 49 troops/companions. How do I increase party size? I didn't quite understand the google search answers I was finding.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Raise your leadership skill to increase party size.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Actually leadership isn't a big factor in party size in 2, at least until you almost have it maxed out. Leadership raises party morale and garrison size, and once you get it up to near max there are perks that will give you increased party size, but the main factor now is clan rank and stewardship.

If you go to the party screen and mouse over your party size, a tooltip will tell you all the factors going into it, and the stewardship bonus actually shows up as "quartermaster" and can be raised even further by perks in the steward line. Clan rank until you get much stronger is actually the largest factor, and you can raise it by getting more renown. I think you can also assign another party member as Quartermaster, and it will use his stewardship instead of yours to calculate the bonus.

Still really enjoying this, but pulling back a bit for them to get it patched up a little. Finally started seeing a lot of bugs in my first game, mostly AI quirks causing factions to be a little easy to beat at times which made the later campaign weird.

Will probably start a new game once the patches start slowing a bit.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

What's the substantial draw to this over Mount & Blade: Warband with a kingdom mod attached to it? It looks like a lot of the visual and combat mechanics are almost identical. If there's a big jump between the two, I haven't read about it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Having barely dipped my toes in, all I can say it that it's prettier and the UI is much improved. Apparently the siege battles are also much better, but I haven't participated in one yet.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Paingod wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:00 pm What's the substantial draw to this over Mount & Blade: Warband with a kingdom mod attached to it? It looks like a lot of the visual and combat mechanics are almost identical. If there's a big jump between the two, I haven't read about it.
I touched on that in my impressions post, but it's definitely not a revolutionary game, however it is a significant improvement over M&B1 in every way. Deeper mechanics, better UI, smarter AI, better performance, better graphics, etc.

Some of the M&B mods will surely still have some more depth to them than M&B2 at this point, but there are already mods for 2 flooding out including some nice balance mods, and a cool voice command mod.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I saw a Twitch streamer using voice control (via Voice Attack) to give commands to his troops. It seemed to work quite well.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:50 pm I saw a Twitch streamer using voice control (via Voice Attack) to give commands to his troops. It seemed to work quite well.
Man that would kill over my start of combat spiel...

Survey battlefield
F1 - 1 - click spot
2 - click higher spot
3 - F6
4 - F6
Right-click
Start controlling my character and hope the engagement isn't over already. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

After 45 hours I think I am going to put it aside and let it stew for a bit. I heard that the main quest and the game go to hell at a certain point and there's nothing you can do about it because the story stuff isn't done. The fact that I already got 45 hours of enjoyment in the first days of early access. It has been updated 9 times in the few days I've been playing it, which is impressive. I'm certain it will only get better.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think I’ll just chase this one group of looters for another 20 or 30 hours, then do the same.
Covfefe!
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:26 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:50 pm I saw a Twitch streamer using voice control (via Voice Attack) to give commands to his troops. It seemed to work quite well.
Man that would kill over my start of combat spiel...

Survey battlefield
F1 - 1 - click spot
2 - click higher spot
3 - F6
4 - F6
Right-click
Start controlling my character and hope the engagement isn't over already. :D
My battle orders are:
F6 [let the segeants dictate the flow, so i dont have do a damn thing]
Couch my lance,
Be the battle beast

-honestly, F6 pretty much tells the sergeants to control the troops so i can run around and try to lance people to death. That to me is sooooo worthwhile,. because the meat and potatoes of this game for me is the jousting. I can do that for hours, and hours on end. Just give me a good horse, a nice lance and let me try to fumble my way to a few kills. [baseball swing w/ lance is effective, surprise, surprise].
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

OK, I'm a bit flummoxed on the whole couching bit. I gallop fast enough to get the couching symbol...then what? Whenever I click the attack button it draws it back into the normal lunge attack motion, when I right click it blocks, and if I leave it alone, which is what I used to do in M&B 1, nothing happens.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Hyena wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:21 am OK, I'm a bit flummoxed on the whole couching bit. I gallop fast enough to get the couching symbol...then what? Whenever I click the attack button it draws it back into the normal lunge attack motion, when I right click it blocks, and if I leave it alone, which is what I used to do in M&B 1, nothing happens.
Once you see the symbol hit "X" to couch. Then it works like it did in 1.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:23 am
Hyena wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:21 am OK, I'm a bit flummoxed on the whole couching bit. I gallop fast enough to get the couching symbol...then what? Whenever I click the attack button it draws it back into the normal lunge attack motion, when I right click it blocks, and if I leave it alone, which is what I used to do in M&B 1, nothing happens.
OK, this will be a game-changer for me. I have been so focused on archery (I'm a damn sniper, btw) because I couldn't figure out how to use that darn thing.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Interesting, I didn't know that. I'll have to try the X on my next play through.

I had been able to get kills by holding hte left click button [once couch icon pops] then trying to aim and hit the target. I do get kills [ playing on very easy] not a lot, but i can end a battle w/ 2-10 kills depending. I have been messing w/ R [camera toggle] to try to get a closer FP view on it.

I still enjoy the battles....specifically zooming across the field and trying to nail things. That to me is everything right now, and I can easily forget the other issues surrounding the game. Sieges dont seem to deep yet. I just hang around and scope out the battle field. Horse combat am decent at, hand to hand, not so much.

TIP - on the lower right of the screen that bottom menu with data can be expanded to included SPEED [horse icon]. Hover over that for a breakdown of your speed factors.

So my game right now is centered around the following: i have joined the southern kingdom and while the others are sieging castles. I patrol around the sieges and try to take out groups that are "trying" to prevent the siege. I usually see em coming in in smallish groups 50-110. Small enough for my 80 man squad to take down the groups. So far nice loot and gives me the field battles which I love.

Gripes
Kingdom mngmt is not fully fleshed out and is very minimal right now. Has an interesting skeleton but no tactical value outside of a money generator from what i can see.

-how slow the leveling process is. Its so damn slow it feels like. Some skills take forever to level up it seems. [hello scouting] Some go w/ out anything [ hello steward].

Catching other parties - On the campaign map, its a PAIN IN THE ASS to try to catch other parties on the map. Have to pay careful attention to your party speed [ best way to ameliorate is make sure every foot soldier has a horse (i verify the numbers of horses w/ the number of troops) and make sure you have a faster speed. Pay careful attention you dont have too many horses and prisoners. I have been able to get my speed up to 6.5 i think, maybe a scoch higher.

-Battle commands are sorely lacking I feel. The UI is not that intuitive (ie there should be a mouse a button option, rather than the F-F10 keys). Though to be honest, I hit F6 and leave the battle commands to the AI. They seem to do a decent job right now, and all I care about it the field combat.

-Diplomacy interface - wish it was easier seeing who was at war with whom and any data revolving around it.
Bayraktar!!!!

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Hyena wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:40 am
Sepiche wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:23 am
OK, this will be a game-changer for me. I have been so focused on archery (I'm a damn sniper, btw) because I couldn't figure out how to use that darn thing.
My go-to in Mount & Blade: Warband (well, every version) was always the Horse Archer. I'd find the fastest horse I could ride with the strongest bow I could use. Every battle opened with me saying "Alright guys, form up here in a nice line and hold. Archers behind the Berserkers. Whatever makes it past me is up to you." and then I'd ride off alone with as many large quivers of arrows as I could carry. Enemy ranks might try and form up, but I'd get nasty with headshots - even from extreme distances. After kiting the enemies around for a while I'd lead the ragged remainders back to my group for a mop-up. Armored knights were the hardest, but often head-shotting their mounts neutered them and made them easy prey for my team.

Does this sort of tactic still work?

I found couching and lancing was a great way to trim edges off formations but put me at too much risk of random hits and being knocked off my horse. I never did it for very long, but it was seriously rewarding to score those perfect 200+ hit point crushing blows on enemies.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Newcastle wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:03 am Gripes
Kingdom mngmt is not fully fleshed out and is very minimal right now. Has an interesting skeleton but no tactical value outside of a money generator from what i can see.

-how slow the leveling process is. Its so damn slow it feels like. Some skills take forever to level up it seems. [hello scouting] Some go w/ out anything [ hello steward].

Catching other parties - On the campaign map, its a PAIN IN THE ASS to try to catch other parties on the map. Have to pay careful attention to your party speed [ best way to ameliorate is make sure every foot soldier has a horse (i verify the numbers of horses w/ the number of troops) and make sure you have a faster speed. Pay careful attention you dont have too many horses and prisoners. I have been able to get my speed up to 6.5 i think, maybe a scoch higher.

-Battle commands are sorely lacking I feel. The UI is not that intuitive (ie there should be a mouse a button option, rather than the F-F10 keys). Though to be honest, I hit F6 and leave the battle commands to the AI. They seem to do a decent job right now, and all I care about it the field combat.

-Diplomacy interface - wish it was easier seeing who was at war with whom and any data revolving around it.
Some of this is apparently addressed in the current beta line (video).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Awesome thanks Meal!
Bayraktar!!!!

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Paingod wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:57 am Does this sort of tactic still work?

I found couching and lancing was a great way to trim edges off formations but put me at too much risk of random hits and being knocked off my horse. I never did it for very long, but it was seriously rewarding to score those perfect 200+ hit point crushing blows on enemies.
Yes. It works just like it used to in my experience - the one man Mongol roundup. I'm not a lance man (maybe its my peasant ancestry). I find myself taking 2 quivers of arrows and a 2-hand weapon in Bannerlord. After vigorous arrow delivery I "shave" of the edges of the mob with fast pass L-R cutting sweeps of a Glaive (or some-such), 2-hand sword, etc. In this way I am not terminating my cavalry charge inside of a group of 20 enemies with only an unwieldy lance in my hands. By passing the edge (like you) I don't have as much risk. By using the cutting tool I can usually extract myself in short order if some footman with a hay fork stops my charge dead.

The combat is just as fun (my poor old PC gets hotter than a SCAG muffler in August), the ruler-ship aspects are not fleshed out fully. Buy you can sure jump on a pony and cause a ruckus just like before.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I've had a good time with Bannerlord for the past couple of weeks, but I think I'm going to put it away for a while. While the core gameplay is in place and fun, there's fair bit of work still be done before this is ready to move out of early access.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

AWS260 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:15 am I've had a good time with Bannerlord for the past couple of weeks, but I think I'm going to put it away for a while. While the core gameplay is in place and fun, there's fair bit of work still be done before this is ready to move out of early access.
Having just spent some time with it... this remains true almost two years later. It is still in early access, and has a quite a few things that need to be cleaned up before it will be a good game.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)