Playstation 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Playstation 5

Post by malchior »

I ended up getting one on 3/31 from Target. My wife really was pushing for me to get it so she could upgrade to the PS4 Pro. I was following drops on Discord and have since left it running. Since that date there have been one or two tiny drops. Unless these guys totally have fallen apart the PS5 supply has almost completely dried up. The global chip shortage may have found its way to Sony. Another note is the rumor mills are not all that accurate. There is no good inside information. There were rumors over and over about a big Amazon drop. It never happened and pretty much amounted to click bait.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Guess I'll just aim for next year at this point. I have no interest in trying to hunt one down. GT Sport won't come out until next year and MLB The Show is on the PS4 anyway. Is the Xbox easier to find? The gamepass thing is really making it a good deal, but I love me my playstation.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:59 am I ended up getting one on 3/31 from Target. My wife really was pushing for me to get it so she could upgrade to the PS4 Pro. I was following drops on Discord and have since left it running. Since that date there have been one or two tiny drops. Unless these guys totally have fallen apart the PS5 supply has almost completely dried up. The global chip shortage may have found its way to Sony. Another note is the rumor mills are not all that accurate. There is no good inside information. There were rumors over and over about a big Amazon drop. It never happened and pretty much amounted to click bait.
Grats! That's been my experience too. Last week was barren as far as drops went.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Thanks - pure luck with Target. You have to put it in your cart and literally spam the checkout 100s of times. It's an ... ahem ... interesting way to sell a product. Anyway, there was apparently a small PlayStation Direct drop within the last hour.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Yeah, I was in on that. Every time I start out with a queue wait over an hour. Whenever there is a drop, the Tweeter I follow has a poll of who got one, and it's always right around 7-10%
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Gamestop has bundles up. The bundles suck so easy pass for me.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:19 pm Gamestop has bundles up. The bundles sucks so easy pass for me.
FYFM
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Finally managed to snag a disc edition through Sony Direct. :horse:

I have a backlog of now upgraded PS4 games I want to play through (God of War, Control, Spiderman) before buying any PS5 only titles. When I do it will most likely be Returnal. Also very much looking forward to Horizon: Forbidden West.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nice I really want one but I'm lazy to hunt for it. Someday in 2022 there will some on the shelves. ;)

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:42 pm Finally managed to snag a disc edition through Sony Direct. :horse:

I have a backlog of now upgraded PS4 games I want to play through (God of War, Control, Spiderman) before buying any PS5 only titles. When I do it will most likely be Returnal. Also very much looking forward to Horizon: Forbidden West.
Hoping to get Returnal for my birthday. The PS5 has been a joy for the very little I have been able to use it with. I can't wait for more HZD. One thing I've noticed is the controllers charge doesn't last as long as I am used to with my PS4. I guess there is a price for the haptic feedback stuff.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Really? The PS4 controllers never seemed to hold charge for very long so that's kind of disappointing. I usually just ended up using them wired as it was so frequently dead.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Maybe my PS4 controllers were better than yours. I got my PS4 late in the cycle so maybe there were changes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Definitely feels like the PS5 controllers drain faster than PS4.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'll let you know what I think in 2022. ;)

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Octavious wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:48 pm I'll let you know what I think in 2022. ;)
Me as well. Especially since they delayed Gran Turismo (the game I'm really waiting for) til 2022 anyway.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya that's actually the one game I was waiting for. So it hasn't been nearly as painful knowing that was delayed. I really want to play Demon Souls, but aside from that there isn't anything I'm super missing yet. I would like to use it as a 4k player. I refuse to buy a separate one.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Jag wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:39 pm Definitely feels like the PS5 controllers drain faster than PS4.
Same. I probably get four or five hours on my controller before getting the low battery message. It seemed like my PS4 controllers would get almost double that.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

well considering the controllers do more than the ps4 i would expect it to last less if they are using the same size\rated battery.

We plug ours in every few days so it's not a big deal for us.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Now that you all mention it, the controller does seem to drain somewhat quickly, but I keep my spare charging and just swap out. So I hadn't really noticed impact other than switching them more.

Only PS5 game I'm playing is MLB The Show. I think the NBA 2k21 I played was the PS4 version (as I don't like that game enough to shell out the full price for it, and I was mainly biding time until baseball season anyway). I have Miles Morales, but haven't played it. I like that and the other Spiderman games, but there are just other things I enjoy playing more. So thus far, I'm not really getting much out of the next gen yet.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Today Sony Direct had another restock. I was able to buy another even though it said in bold letters if I bought it from them before I would be ineligible. My sister in law's boyfriend has been trying to get one since launch. A few days ago I got an email saying I was selected even though I didn't sign up again. So I went through the motions, used his credit card and had it sent to him under my profile. It's being delivered tomorrow.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Does anyone know if this is this similar to how MS does it? A co-worker explained how MS is doling out XBOX series X to me the other day. The way he described it was he put in a reservation through his old console. A couple of months later the dashboard notified him that he could buy one if he wanted to.
naednek

Post by naednek »

malchior wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:20 am Does anyone know if this is this similar to how MS does it? A co-worker explained how MS is doling out XBOX series X to me the other day. The way he described it was he put in a reservation through his old console. A couple of months later the dashboard notified him that he could buy one if he wanted to.
sony doesn't do that. You sign up to enter a lottery at sony's website.

So the ps5 was supposed to be deliverd on Friday. UPS delayed to Monday. We're going on vacation. He now has it on hold till Friday. He's not happy
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Considering how hard it is to get I think he'll live. I really should sign up for that and keep ok forgetting. It's the low effort way of getting it which is totally my jam.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Octavious wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:59 pm Considering how hard it is to get I think he'll live. I really should sign up for that and keep ok forgetting. It's the low effort way of getting it which is totally my jam.
I've looked for places to sign up for it, but can't actually find one. Anyone got any advice?
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:04 pm
Octavious wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:59 pm Considering how hard it is to get I think he'll live. I really should sign up for that and keep ok forgetting. It's the low effort way of getting it which is totally my jam.
I've looked for places to sign up for it, but can't actually find one. Anyone got any advice?
I'm guessing this is talking about the Playstation Direct stuff. Every once in a while a lobby opens, you sign in and then everyone is randomly placed in queue and if you are in the front, you can get one. I am guessing that's the lottery they are talking about. There are some guys in my office that used to announce when the lobby opened in our main videogame slack channel. There are also some twitter accounts that announce it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:04 pm
I'm pretty sure the window to register has expired. I did it months ago and haven't heard anything yet.

edit: I did not have notifications turned on, so maybe that was why.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I haven't tried very hard to find one due to the simple fact that there really still isn't much out there to play that I can't do elsewhere. Mlb the show is pretty much identical except for the stadium creator. Demon Souls does smart a bit but I can wait.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

GameStop had bundles up around noon. I could have grabbed one but it had 3 games I didn't want. I wonder if the games come unsealed so you can't return them. ;)

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:20 pm GameStop had bundles up around noon. I could have grabbed one but it had 3 games I didn't want. I wonder if the games come unsealed so you can't return them. ;)
Are you sure you could have grabbed one? That's never a sure thing until you get an order confirmation.

You don't want Ratchet and Clank?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The had the 3 game bundle available for sure. Maybe I would have gotten dumped out I'll never know. And honestly no I'm not dying to play that game. I actually probably would never buy any of those three games especially not at full price.

Eh... I'm picky.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Adding to cart is just the first shot of a prolonged battle.

FWIW, I bet you could easily get rid of R&C and Spiderman here.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya if I see it again I may just do that. I'm going on vacation in a week so I was also worried it would ship when I'm not home. I tend to make life way more difficult than it needs to be. ;)

naednek

Post by naednek »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:39 pm Ya if I see it again I may just do that. I'm going on vacation in a week so I was also worried it would ship when I'm not home. I tend to make life way more difficult than it needs to be. ;)
If you end up getting it with Ratchet and Clank, and spiderman let me know I'd buy it for a reduced price if you up for it :)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I finally scored one from Walmart. Delivery is by 09.24 and Walmart has had some problems with fulfilling orders, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I got an Xbox Series S in the meantime and love it. I may just wait out until next year at this point as there's nothing I'm super dying to play aside from Demon Souls. And the thing is freaking huge. Maybe a slim will come out next year? Sure... ;)

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Octavious wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:48 pm I got an Xbox Series S in the meantime and love it. I may just wait out until next year at this point as there's nothing I'm super dying to play aside from Demon Souls. And the thing is freaking huge. Maybe a slim will come out next year? Sure... ;)
The Digital is slimmer if you don't need an optical drive.
Formix

Post by Formix »

I got the R&C/Spiderman bundle from Gamedump. I followed the Twitter dude as well, and it worked like a charm. I now haz surprise x_mas gift for mini-me. I may need to look into this Demon Souls y'all mention. Any recommendations for couch co-op for 3-4 players?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Amazon did a drop today for Prime members and I finally got one!
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:13 am Amazon did a drop today for Prime members and I finally got one!
Where does one get notified of such things?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:30 am
pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:13 am Amazon did a drop today for Prime members and I finally got one!
Where does one get notified of such things?
Twitter, there are specific users you follow to get notifications. I think @Wario64 is still the popular one, but he was too spammy for me. I think I used @PS5StockAlerts .
-Coop
Black Lives Matter