Playstation 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: Playstation 5

Post by Octavious »

So um a bunch of reviewers are reporting major hardware issues. The ACG dude had it completely die. I hope that's not widespread because it would be a bummer to see them kill the momentum they had for the last cycle.

Way too early obviously and could be something silly, but we all remember the red ring of death. :)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Octavious wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:36 am So um a bunch of reviewers are reporting major hardware issues. The ACG dude had it completely die. I hope that's not widespread because it would be a bummer to see them kill the momentum they had for the last cycle.

Way too early obviously and could be something silly, but we all remember the red ring of death. :)
Don't forget that a lot of the shortages for launch were driven by chip manufacturing quality issues. It could well be that while they caught some issues, there were others that were missed. Hoping no OO'ers get bit.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I haven’t seen any widespread reports of hardware issues; Googling generally brings up articles from months ago.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

My ps5 was delivered early today. Its a lot bigger than expected.Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Got our ps5 today. Straight into cupboard for xmas for the kids unfortunately:(
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Stefan Stirzaker wrote:Got our ps5 today. Straight into cupboard for xmas for the kids unfortunately:(
You should really test it out to make sure you don't have a defective unit...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I watch you all quietly, and with jealousy.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:09 am
Stefan Stirzaker wrote:Got our ps5 today. Straight into cupboard for xmas for the kids unfortunately:(
You should really test it out to make sure you don't have a defective unit...
and download any/all patches ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

My Ring doorbell just let me know that my PS5 was delivered. Too bad I can't get home for at least another 4 hours.
FTE
naednek

Post by naednek »

sometimes I feel like I should do a mic test. "Is this thing on" :P
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

naednek wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:57 pm sometimes I feel like I should do a mic test. "Is this thing on" :P
No we saw your post. It was a perfect dad joke.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Instantly sold out on BB. Shocking. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scraper wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:50 pm My Ring doorbell just let me know that my PS5 was delivered. Too bad I can't get home for at least another 4 hours.
I'll be at you porch in three.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:24 pm
Scraper wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:50 pm My Ring doorbell just let me know that my PS5 was delivered. Too bad I can't get home for at least another 4 hours.
I made sure to set my traps this morning. Good thing the FedEx guy knows how to get around them.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scraper wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:27 pm
I made sure to set my traps this morning. Good thing the FedEx guy knows how to get around them.
No worries. I have a bullwhip and a bag with 14lb, 10oz of sand (that's the weight of a PS5 box, plus two ounces that I can take out at the last second.)
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Stupid Walmart made me think I was able to order one and then of course it just crashed at the very end :evil:

Edit: now it says they will restock in a couple of hours wtf
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

rittchard wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:40 pm Stupid Walmart made me think I was able to order one and then of course it just crashed at the very end :evil:
Check your credit card's website. My walmart order crashed at the last order process loading screen, but when I checked my credit card I could see I did get charged for the PS5. Hopefully you're golden, otherwise good luck if you try again in 2 hours.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

naednek wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:57 pm sometimes I feel like I should do a mic test. "Is this thing on" :P
I laughed but I had nothing else to say and didn't want to post to just say lol.

But since I'm here now...lol.
I no longer post here.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:21 pm
I laughed but I had nothing else to say and didn't want to post to just say lol.

I thought it was funny, but I couldn't tell for sure if it was an air purifier or a space heater and it got too complicated trying to come up with a followup joke.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:43 pm
Paradroid wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:21 pm

I thought it was funny, but I couldn't tell for sure if it was an air purifier or a space heater and it got too complicated trying to come up with a followup joke.
I'm going with dehumidifier
FTE
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I had one in my cart at Target at 12:10am, but when I went to Paypal, it showed it being delivered to a store in MN. I went back and checked I had the right store and I did. I proceeded to Paypal and it showed the right store this time. When Paypal dumped me back to Target, it was out of stock :(
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

rittchard wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:40 pm Stupid Walmart made me think I was able to order one and then of course it just crashed at the very end :evil:

Edit: now it says they will restock in a couple of hours wtf
I had one in the cart too.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Missed out on Walmart's 3pm dump.
naednek

Post by naednek »

mine comes in today. (For real) and I managed to get the day off tomorrow. Only had 1 meeting tomorrow which I was able to move to this afternoon!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ok for reals

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Noice.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:34 pm
No worries. I have a bullwhip and a bag with 14lb, 10oz of sand (that's the weight of a PS5 box, plus two ounces that I can take out at the last second.)
BH: $iljanus! Give me the whip!

$iljanus: Throw me the PlayStation! No time to argue. Throw me the PlayStation, I'll throw you the whip!

Both look forlornly at the heavy PlayStation as it falls a bit short and plummets into the pit...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:50 pm

$iljanus: Throw me the PlayStation! No time to argue. Throw me the PlayStation, I'll throw you the whip!

Both look forlornly at the heavy PlayStation as it falls a bit short and plummets into the pit...
Later, as I lay in the lawn, clutching the PS5 in my hand.

Scraper: Mr. Hawk. Again, we see there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:03 pm
$iljanus wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Later, as I lay in the lawn, clutching the PS5 in my hand.

Scraper: Mr. Hawk. Again, we see there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away.
Scraper makes a hand gesture across his neck and a horde of feral remote schooled children chase Blackhawk out of the neighborhood with makeshift spears and blowguns.
Black lives matter!

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Got mine tonight. Set up was pretty painless, though for some reason when I turned it on for the first time it hard reset my tv. Played Astro for a bit. The vibrations and haptic feedback on the controller really is cool. Hopefully games will make use of those features. Only complaint so far is that my wrist hurts a bit after about an hour of playing. I tend to have some carpal tunnel issues, but only had issues with the PS4 controller in certain games that require a lot of button mashing (like Diablo 3). Hopefully Astro is just one of those games and this isn’t indicative of how my wrist will react to most games with the PS5 controller...
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

If you plan on transferring content from your ps4 to ps5 do via eternity and save yourself at of time. Took me about 25 minutes to copy.

Now I gotta figure out why I can't get hdr to work. My tv supports it. It says to use input1. My soundbar is using that and i thought it passes through.

I really don't want to take down the TV off the mount to fiddle around

Last edited by naednek on Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Maybe I misunderstood you, but your soundbar is the ARC HDMI port. So, the PS5 would need to use another one.

At least, my setup is like that. HDM1 is the AppleTV, HDMI2(ARC) is the sound bar, and HDMI3 is the console(s).
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

naednek wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:19 am If you plan on transferring content from your ps4 to ps5 do via eternity and save yourself at of time. Took me about 25 minutes to copy.

Now I gotta figure out why I can't get hdr to work. My tv supports it. It says to use input1. My soundbar is using that and i thought it passes through.

I can't get HDR to work at the same time as 4K resolution. The PS5 says my TV doesn't support both at the same time. Which is false because the PS4 Pro had no problem with it and my 4K BluRay player has no problem with it either.

I should add that I run everything into my stereo receiver, with one HDMI cable going to the TV. I even tried switching the PS5 HDMI cable to the same input that the PS4 used and it still won't let me use both HDR and 4k at the same time.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

As for everything else the PS5 is impressive. I did test plays on Borderlands 3, Demon Souls, Sekiro and the pack in controller game.

The ps4 games were definitely improved running on the PS5. I have no idea what FPS Sekiro was getting, but the load times were significantly better, the game itself looks crisper and the action just feels a little bit tighter (probably because of the higher FPS).

Borderlands load times are SOOOO much better and the texture loading issue that this series has always had is completely gone on the PS5. I also found it interesting that the opening splash screen is actually viewable for the first time. Before on the PS4 when the game first started up you would hear this gearbox screaming but the screen would be blank. Now on the PS5 you actually get to see the cinematic.

As for Demon's Souls, the game is absolutely beautiful, I only played about 20 minutes of it, but if this is a launch game then I can't wait to see what games look like 5 years down the road.
FTE
naednek

Post by naednek »

Scraper wrote:
naednek wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:19 am If you plan on transferring content from your ps4 to ps5 do via eternity and save yourself at of time. Took me about 25 minutes to copy.

I can't get HDR to work at the same time as 4K resolution. The PS5 says my TV doesn't support both at the same time. Which is false because the PS4 Pro had no problem with it and my 4K BluRay player has no problem with it either.

I should add that I run everything into my stereo receiver, with one HDMI cable going to the TV. I even tried switching the PS5 HDMI cable to the same input that the PS4 used and it still won't let me use both HDR and 4k at the same time.
Thanks for confirming I wasn't crazy. I recall seeing my ps4 pro was able to do it and I hadn't changed anything other than the console.

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

naednek wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:10 am
Scraper wrote:

Thanks for confirming I wasn't crazy. I recall seeing my ps4 pro was able to do it and I hadn't changed anything other than the console.

Yeah I suspect this is a firmware issue either on my TV or the PS5 itself.
FTE
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I’m hopeful that relatively soon there will be sites comparing load times on the PS5 for a bunch of PS4 games. There were a couple of recent games I’ve been interested in (e.g. Wasteland 2 and PoE 2) but both were supposed to have awful load times in the PS4.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I’ve read some reports of system crashes and systems being borked when external hard drives are attached. Seems especially to happen when coming back from rest mode with a hard drive attached. So might want to hold off on that if anyone was planning to use an external drive.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Godspeed, first adopters! The rest of us who will be getting their PS5s months from now appreciate your beta testing!
Black lives matter!

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I’m still alive and got a PS5!

My PSN tag is CaptCaveOO. Please add me because right now my only friends are Ralph Wiggum (ugh) and my 10 year old nephew.

Hope all of you are doing well