Playstation 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Playstation 5

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think the Xbox Series X and PS5 will be pretty comparable, performance wise, but I’m not sure we’ll know for sure until we can do side-by-side comparisons. But I don’t think there’s any doubt that the PS5 is more powerful than the Xbox Series S.
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:19 am I keep hearing that the Xbox outshines the PS5 this go round.
What Ralph said. They are extremely close in specs. Xbox x has more cuda cores, but the PS5s HD is faster. So the reality is they'll be damn near the same in performance. The series S is the one that surprises me, its nowhere near as powerful as the 5 or x. And i wonder if that will hurt Series x games. Having to develope 2 different specs for the Xbox system could cause headaches for devs.
FTE
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The dimensions have been released and it will fit horizontally in my console spot with 1/8" to spare. I really hope no space is required on the sides, or that it's already designed into the unit.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:19 am I keep hearing that the Xbox outshines the PS5 this go round.
In what way?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Scraper wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:13 am
What Ralph said. They are extremely close in specs. Xbox x has more cuda cores, but the PS5s HD is faster.
I'm much more interested in seeing what devs can do when they can load game data from the disk nearly instantly than I am with incremental graphics improvements.

The size of the SSD is going to make itself felt pretty quickly, I think, especially seeing some of the install sizes of PS5 games.
Last edited by Alefroth on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:There definitely aren’t a bunch of games at or near launch that I’m interested in (maybe the Demon Souls remake) but for me I think it’s worth it right now just for the improved load times on PS4 games. For instance, I’ve wanted to get Pillars of Eternity 2 on the PS4 but the load times are supposed interminable. If the PS5 can cut those down to say, 20 seconds, rather than a minute, that’s a probably enough to warrant a purchase of the game. And since I know I would get one within the first year anyway, why not get it right away?
Did you ever put an ssd in your ps4?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Scraper wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:13 am Having to develope 2 different specs for the Xbox system could cause headaches for devs.
Might lead them to develop purely for the PS5.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The PS4 didn't win the last generation on technical specs or graphics. They won because the XBone team made a bunch of terrible decisions (they whole 'borrowing a game' debacle, for instance), launched it at a higher priced, and couldn't compete with what Playstation was offering online at the time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I like the option to buy a NVMe SSD to expand storage in the future. XBone will also have expandable storage but it's going to be a proprietary product.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Pyperkub wrote:Did you ever put an ssd in your ps4?
Nope. Just using an unmodified base PS5.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:33 pm I like the option to buy a NVMe SSD to expand storage in the future.
For sure. That's a big plus.

I just bought an SSD that I'll run my PS4 games from on the PS5.
Last edited by Alefroth on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Blackhawk wrote:The PS4 didn't win the last generation on technical specs or graphics. They won because the XBone team made a bunch of terrible decisions (they whole 'borrowing a game' debacle, for instance), launched it at a higher priced, and couldn't compete with what Playstation was offering online at the time.
And, in my opinion of course, the exclusives were much better on the PS4 than the Xbox.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

I was able to preorder the PS5 from Sony today with a breeze. Other than a delayed start on their end, I got placed in the queue, and waited about 5 minutes and placed my order.

I wasn't planning on buying but I signed up on a whim thinking I wouldn't get selected. Sure enough I got an email yesterday stating I was selected. Somehow convinced the wife and the rest is history.

I told her I'd sell my PS4 slim and the PS4 Pro to help pay for the PS5. So if anyone is interested, let me know. I'm keeping the PS4 Pro until the PS5 arrives since my son would go through serious fortnite withdraws if I sell it now :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If nobody bites on the ps4 I'll buy threw PS5 off you :) Sony didn't invite me. :(
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

naednek wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:57 pm I was able to preorder the PS5 from Sony today with a breeze. Other than a delayed start on their end, I got placed in the queue, and waited about 5 minutes and placed my order.

I wasn't planning on buying but I signed up on a whim thinking I wouldn't get selected. Sure enough I got an email yesterday stating I was selected. Somehow convinced the wife and the rest is history.

I told her I'd sell my PS4 slim and the PS4 Pro to help pay for the PS5. So if anyone is interested, let me know. I'm keeping the PS4 Pro until the PS5 arrives since my son would go through serious fortnite withdraws if I sell it now :P
Damn, I forgot that was happening today and missed out again.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:42 pm
Blackhawk wrote:The PS4 didn't win the last generation on technical specs or graphics. They won because the XBone team made a bunch of terrible decisions (they whole 'borrowing a game' debacle, for instance), launched it at a higher priced, and couldn't compete with what Playstation was offering online at the time.
And, in my opinion of course, the exclusives were much better on the PS4 than the Xbox.
Yeah, the exclusives are why I've always preferred the Playstation. God of War, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc, the hits keep coming.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Man... I really want a PS5 but the preorders continue to be a mess. I've got the Series X preorder secured. Come on Sony -- get your crap together.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

This is the first time I've been interested in a console at launch. Are there usually units released for review before launch date? I'll get one regardless, but I would like to have a look at the UI
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

There's supposedly a third wave coming which is bigger than the second, but no word yet on the date.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

For those still wishing they could find a preorder:

I've been following a reddit megathread. Target has been allowing TINY numbers of people to still preorder -- presumably through cancelled orders and payment bounces. The trick is that you need to have it saved in your cart for this to work. "Saved for later".

Anyway.. someone on there wrote a script for tampermonkey. So you download tampermonkey for Chrome and create the following script:
// ==UserScript==
// @name TargetPS5AutoSnag
// @namespace http://example.tld
// @version 0.1
// @description TargetPS5AutoSnag
// @author You
// @match https://www.target.com/co*
// @grant none
// ==/UserScript==

var triedToBuy = false;

setInterval(function(){
var ps5saved = document.querySelectorAll("[data-test='moveSFLToCartBtn']");
var ps5inCart = document.querySelectorAll("[data-test='checkout-button']");
var ps5readyToOrder = document.querySelectorAll("[data-test='placeOrderButton']");

if(ps5inCart.length){
ps5inCart[0].click(); // Attempt to checkout
} else if (ps5readyToOrder.length && !triedToBuy) {
triedToBuy = true;
ps5readyToOrder[0].click(); // Attempt to place order
} else if (ps5saved.length) {
ps5saved[0].click(); // Attempt to add to cart
}
}, 250);

setInterval(function(){
var content = document.body.textContent || document.body.innerText;
var hasText = content.indexOf("Item(s) currently unavailable")!==-1;
var needRefresh = content.indexOf("Due to a temporary issue")!==-1;
var need2 = content.indexOf("Something went wrong")!==-1;
if(hasText || needRefresh || need2){
window.location = "https://www.target.com/co-cart";
}
}, 1400);
You then get to your cart screen with your PS5 'saved for later' and then you execute this script.

I just ran this thing since mid-morning until now. I was on the couch watching netflix with my wife and suddenly a confirmation email from Target popped in. I now have a PS5 preorder.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It has liquid metal as thermal compound!

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:10 am It has mimetic polyalloy as thermal compound!
What the hell is that?!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:16 am
Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:10 am It has mimetic polyalloy as thermal compound!
What the hell is that?!
Keeps the EPS plasma conuduits from ionizing the tritanium in the hull.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:06 am
wonderpug wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:16 am
What the hell is that?!
Keeps the EPS plasma conuduits from ionizing the tritanium in the hull.
Sounds like Skynet to me. It's a backdoor for them to start Armageddon.
FTE
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Finally, a look at the UX-

Some pretty cool looking social features (which I'll probably never use), and an in game hint system for PS+.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

msduncan wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:54 pm For those still wishing they could find a preorder:

I've been following a reddit megathread. Target has been allowing TINY numbers of people to still preorder -- presumably through cancelled orders and payment bounces. The trick is that you need to have it saved in your cart for this to work. "Saved for later".

Anyway.. someone on there wrote a script for tampermonkey. So you download tampermonkey for Chrome and create the following script:
// ==UserScript==
// @name TargetPS5AutoSnag
// @namespace http://example.tld
// @version 0.1
// @description TargetPS5AutoSnag
// @author You
// @match https://www.target.com/co*
// @grant none
// ==/UserScript==

var triedToBuy = false;

setInterval(function(){
var ps5saved = document.querySelectorAll("[data-test='moveSFLToCartBtn']");
var ps5inCart = document.querySelectorAll("[data-test='checkout-button']");
var ps5readyToOrder = document.querySelectorAll("[data-test='placeOrderButton']");

if(ps5inCart.length){
ps5inCart[0].click(); // Attempt to checkout
} else if (ps5readyToOrder.length && !triedToBuy) {
triedToBuy = true;
ps5readyToOrder[0].click(); // Attempt to place order
} else if (ps5saved.length) {
ps5saved[0].click(); // Attempt to add to cart
}
}, 250);

setInterval(function(){
var content = document.body.textContent || document.body.innerText;
var hasText = content.indexOf("Item(s) currently unavailable")!==-1;
var needRefresh = content.indexOf("Due to a temporary issue")!==-1;
var need2 = content.indexOf("Something went wrong")!==-1;
if(hasText || needRefresh || need2){
window.location = "https://www.target.com/co-cart";
}
}, 1400);
You then get to your cart screen with your PS5 'saved for later' and then you execute this script.

I just ran this thing since mid-morning until now. I was on the couch watching netflix with my wife and suddenly a confirmation email from Target popped in. I now have a PS5 preorder.
How were you able to get it into the cart? I don't see any option for that :(
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

You would have had to save it at a point when it was available.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I got my shipping estimate from Amazon: expected to arrive on Nov. 12. 8-) A trick I saw that worked for me if you don't have a shipping estimate (also works for Xbox): click on your order then click update payment. You don't have to change anything but once it was refreshed I had my ship date.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:57 pm I got my shipping estimate from Amazon: expected to arrive on Nov. 12. 8-) A trick I saw that worked for me if you don't have a shipping estimate (also works for Xbox): click on your order then click update payment. You don't have to change anything but once it was refreshed I had my ship date.
Nice. Still waiting on that 3rd pre-order wave.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Still waiting on general availability, see you in the spring!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

All launch day units to be sold (as in non-preorders) will be online-only. None sold in physical stores, but if you preordered for in-store pickup then you would still do that in person.

I expect a lot of confused and angry in-person shoppers that day, but other than that this seems like a really smart move.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya they totally won't all go to bots who will resell at 1,000 dollars. ;) I'm really regretting not trying to preorder this with Demon Souls looking so so good. It's easily my favorite game ever. I'll find one eventually, but I'm guessing it won't be until next year based on how much this year sucks to buy anything. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I got my preordered PS5 controller via UPS over the weekend. It feels really good in my hands, better than the Dualschock 4. Can't wait to actually use its features.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Did a quick look on Ebay and my 1,000 was pretty much on the mark. That's par for the course this year. Buy everything and everything and flip it for double on Ebay. I really hate people.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:22 pm Did a quick look on Ebay and my 1,000 was pretty much on the mark. That's par for the course this year. Buy everything and everything and flip it for double on Ebay. I really hate people.
They only do it because people will pay a premium. If people would stop rewarding them it would stop happening. Patience.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I personally never buy anything being sold by flippers. I hate the whole thing so so much. I've been collecting baseball cards and you can't buy them in the store at all anymore due to flipping. People are just camping out in stores, following vendors, paying off vendors etc so that they can toss crap on Ebay. There's one dude who I know does it as a full time job and clears out the entire state every single week. :lol:

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Just like any generation they both have their pros and cons. For me it comes down to what games you want to play. Sony has a boat load of great exclusives every generation and Xbox usually has a trickle of them, BUT they did buy Bethesda which means they should have exclusivity on all of their games. (Which is a big deal if you don't have a gaming PC). Also xbox has the game pass which is a really great feature.

in terms of system specs and power they are close. Xbox edges out PS5 in terms of raw power, but not by much. PS5 has a much faster Hard Drive which theoretically should impact games.

In short I think both systems are really great this gen and at this point which one comes out on top remains to be seen.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

GT Sport and Demon Souls make it a no brainer as to what I will end up getting. I've always favored the PS exclusives compared to XBox. And it's WAY more likely that an Xbox exclusive game shows up on the PC as well. I'm just hoping my steering wheel will work on the PS5. I'd be shocked if it didn't, but I have been shocked before. ;)

*Edit* Confirmed that all Thrustmaster PS4 wheels will work. That would have been crazypants if they didn't.

Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:49 pm I've always favored the PS exclusives compared to XBox. And it's WAY more likely that an Xbox exclusive game shows up on the PC as well.
Yep, my thoughts exactly. I spent precisely zero seconds considering this one - it will be PS5 this gen for me.
I no longer post here.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Paradroid wrote:
Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:49 pm I've always favored the PS exclusives compared to XBox. And it's WAY more likely that an Xbox exclusive game shows up on the PC as well.
Yep, my thoughts exactly. I spent precisely zero seconds considering this one - it will be PS5 this gen for me.
I didn't buy the current XBox and haven't even looked at the new one. They would have to get Rockstar as an exclusive for me to even look. Which is never going to happen.