The Pedestrian, puzzle platformer with a level-building twist [PC]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

The Pedestrian, puzzle platformer with a level-building twist [PC]

Post by Hipolito »

The Pedestrian is a recent indie release about that stick figure you see on bathroom doors and street signs. But this little guy (or gal if you so choose) isn't just stuck on his sign. He run around and travel to other signs, exploring the world that way.

The game has the block-pushing, key-finding, obstacle-jumping action of classic platformers, and would not be noteworthy if that's all it had. But besides running and jumping, you actually build the levels by connecting signs to each other so that you can reach the exit. It's a twist that makes this game as challenging and inventive as Braid and Portal.

The Pedestrian has high production values, featuring not just a stick-figure running through simple 2D signs but also the detailed 3D industrial environment in which those signs are hung. The music alternates between smooth jazz and cinematic (which reminded me of the American Beauty soundtrack), and reacts dynamically by getting louder and adding instrumentation when you finally make progress.

There is a story of sorts. The hopeful inner thoughts of your stick figure are told through Achievement text. Whatever the game reveals in the end is also part of the plot, though I can only guess as to what it's all about.

Some reviewers are saying Pedestrian can be finished in an evening. They're either pretty good at puzzles or used hints. It took me 12 eyeball-straining, brain-melting hours. The final puzzle is a real porker that took me about 2 hours to figure out, though it was fun because it was so different from everything that came before.

Puzzle-solving isn't my forte, and platformers aren't my favorite genre. But like Braid and Portal, Pedestrian has the right mix of difficulty and aesthetic appeal to stay fun enough for me to complete without giving up or using hints. I recommend it if you like such games or just want a new way to appreciate your stick figure friend on the bathroom door.
jztemple2

Re: The Pedestrian, puzzle platformer with a level-building twist [PC]

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for posting about this! I went to The Pedestrian Steam page and checked out the videos, including a video review. Pretty cool. And there is a demo as well which is under a gig to download.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just finished the demo, about 40 minutes. Very inventive but not too hard. Clever backgrounds and excellent overall look to the game. Fairly straightforward to understand how to manipulate the puzzles, since the controls are simple and the mechanics of the puzzles are reasonably obvious. Solutions aren't as obvious of course, but I only felt stumped a couple of times and had to back away and really think about what I was doing. I'm not a "stare at it till a solution comes to me" person, rather I'm a "that way didn't work, let's try this now" type.

However, I'm not much of a puzzle person, I tend to not really get into games where there is only one solution to a presented problem. So whether you will enjoy the game depends if you are a puzzle person. The nice thing is that the demo gives you a chance to really check out what the game is about.

Just a random screenshot of my playthrough:

I've wishlisted the game and maybe I'll grab it on a sale.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I picked up the full game and I think I am about half way done. It's pretty neat but I always feel like it could have used the 3D environments to greater effect. Like a couple levels in your interactions in the 2D space actually change stuff in the real world, which I thought was really clever but then they have not done it again since. I would also have liked some overreaching goal/story/agenda. I'm not asking for much here given its literally stick figures but something to work towards would have been nice instead of just another puzzle. They could have even combined these two points, like maybe your actions in the stop light shorted it out and you see the result which is a massive car crash or something, which in turn breaks a sign and allows it to touch something else in the environment, allowing you to jump between them.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finally gave in and picked this up last night. I just finished it. Steam says 4.2 hours. I really only got stuck on the final puzzle and the first "real" paint/save puzzle (no idea what to call that mechanic) after the tutorial one. Overall it was a really nice progression and I liked how it ended.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:31 am Finally gave in and picked this up last night. I just finished it. Steam says 4.2 hours. I really only got stuck on the final puzzle and the first "real" paint/save puzzle (no idea what to call that mechanic) after the tutorial one. Overall it was a really nice progression and I liked how it ended.
Glad you liked it. Any thoughts on what the ending means? It stumped me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hipolito wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:05 pm
coopasonic wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:31 am Finally gave in and picked this up last night. I just finished it. Steam says 4.2 hours. I really only got stuck on the final puzzle and the first "real" paint/save puzzle (no idea what to call that mechanic) after the tutorial one. Overall it was a really nice progression and I liked how it ended.
Glad you liked it. Any thoughts on what the ending means? It stumped me.
Haha I can't even imagine. It felt a lot like The Talos Principle in that I enjoyed the puzzles but had little concept of what was going on story-wise... I mean we "escaped" something? I'm pretty sure it was intentionally opaque.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter