Ouch!!!! (Steam related)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lorini

Ouch!!!! (Steam related)

Post by Lorini »

Steam says I have 5,622 hours playing Steam games. I could have gotten a Phd in that amount of time! However the question then becomes, do I want a Phd? Or would I rather be entertained by games that make me think? Hmmmmmm.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Re: Ouch!!!! (Steam related)

Post by Sepiche »

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As a child begging for a quarter my granny would ask my why I wanted it to simply throw away in that arcade machine. I never could get her to understand that a quarter for 10 min or so in a arcade machine was for the fun of it. I wasn't simply throwing it away. She had no problem going to the movie for 1 1/2 hour of entertainment or buying a can of soup for a couple hours hunger fix or paying for that newspaper she read for 30 min...but ohhh putting money in a arcade machine was throwing it away.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:35 am Steam says I have 5,622 hours playing Steam games. I could have gotten a Phd in that amount of time! However the question then becomes, do I want a Phd? Or would I rather be entertained by games that make me think? Hmmmmmm.
I had close to that time in Everquest alone. Those are hours that you weren't watching crappy TV shows, so there's that at least. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's funny how many people will sit there and judge thousands of hours spent playing video games, but would have no issue with twice that amount of time spent watching TV, or working with model trains, or stamp collecting.

Humans need to their happy space. Different happy spaces work better for different people.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:20 pm It's funny how many people will sit there and judge thousands of hours spent playing video games, but would have no issue with twice that amount of time spent watching TV, or working with model trains, or stamp collecting.

Humans need to their happy space. Different happy spaces work better for different people.
Yeah I have to have something that works my brain. Watching TV is (except for sports!!) too passive for me.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

My count isnt right or even close unfortunately. I had a tendency to leave games running - especially turn based stuff since I have multiple monitors and at a time multiple computers. Sometimes for days.

I do prefer games to most tv/movies and about equal to books so definitely dont consider it time wasted.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:41 pm
Lorini wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:35 am Steam says I have 5,622 hours playing Steam games. I could have gotten a Phd in that amount of time! However the question then becomes, do I want a Phd? Or would I rather be entertained by games that make me think? Hmmmmmm.
I had close to that time in Everquest alone. Those are hours that you weren't watching crappy TV shows, so there's that at least. :D
If you had that much time in EQ, you probably had enough time sitting and resting to pick up a Master's degree. I swear, a good 2/3 of my time in that game was spent waiting for mana and health to regen.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:47 am If you had that much time in EQ, you probably had enough time sitting and resting to pick up a Master's degree. I swear, a good 2/3 of my time in that game was spent waiting for mana and health to regen.
Ha, that's being generous. I remember some nights where I couldn't find a group for my barbarian warrior, so I'd solo, and that was basically: kill something, then sit down for 20 minutes and wait for my health to come back. :P
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:12 pm
Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:47 am If you had that much time in EQ, you probably had enough time sitting and resting to pick up a Master's degree. I swear, a good 2/3 of my time in that game was spent waiting for mana and health to regen.
Ha, that's being generous. I remember some nights where I couldn't find a group for my barbarian warrior, so I'd solo, and that was basically: kill something, then sit down for 20 minutes and wait for my health to come back. :P
I was also a barb warrior and yeah, sitting around waiting for health was... not a fun time. At least we could look around (a the incredibly bad graphics). Those poor casters staring at the spellbook...

I think that is why I spent more time role-playing in EQ than actually hunting stuff.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

The academic market for Ph.D.'s in Steam is waaaaay shitty, though.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
morlac

Post by morlac »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:48 pm My count isnt right or even close unfortunately. I had a tendency to leave games running - especially turn based stuff since I have multiple monitors and at a time multiple computers. Sometimes for days.

I do prefer games to most tv/movies and about equal to books so definitely dont consider it time wasted.
This is me. I think my record is like a 5 day marathon of constant gaming before I realized it was still running and I hadn't actively played it since I booted it up the first time 5 days prior. Oh well at least I got steam cards ;).
Badcompany

Post by Badcompany »

Wizard here, at least they added the little tetris game :D
Vonzinth
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I could be Brian May if I had spent as much time learning to okay the guitar as I did playing Guitar Hero.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I had a teacher who once told the class he spent $100-$200 on the weekend at Santa Anita when horse racing was happening there. After the class "oooh'd" at how much he was blowing at the track he said "Some people spend that much on an hour of therapy. Gambling is my therapy." and no one could find a sound argument against that point.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:21 pm
Sepiche wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:12 pm
I was also a barb warrior and yeah, sitting around waiting for health was... not a fun time. At least we could look around (a the incredibly bad graphics). Those poor casters staring at the spellbook...

I think that is why I spent more time role-playing in EQ than actually hunting stuff.
I pretty much consider EQ melee classes unplayable without a fungi, and with Iksar race regen it is almost reasonable. Plus I watch my sports (and browse forums) while playing - consolidating my time wasting efforts.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter