Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Post by Paingod »

On Dec. 9th, 2019 Owlcat Games announced a new title in the Pathfinder franchise. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, based on a premade adventure of the same name, they say this title will take everything that worked in Kingmaker and brush it up with more.

I've been chewing through Kingmaker and loving it, more than I have any CRPG in a while (Sorry, Pillars of Eternity). I love the depth in character customization, the challenge, the scope, and the size of the world. It's all feeling very good. If they can take that and pile more on top, I'm not sure if it can be a bad thing.

The only legitimate gripes I've heard about Kingmaker involved bugs that seem to have been ironed out and a borked difficulty curve where they just ramp up damage done to players in the last two modes; I'm playing on Challenging, the third-hardest, and it feels pretty good.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Re: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd also say that they designed it a little too close to the tabletop game, which made the mechanics pretty opaque to people who weren't familiar with Pathfinder/D&D 3.5. Games like Baldur's Gate had all of the complexity of the tabletop game, but they didn't have all of it player-facing, which let them keep the depth without some of the fiddliness. Video games shouldn't require a 600-page manual.

But I love Kingmaker, and am really wanting to get back to it, soon. I've been reading the Pathfinder 2e rulebooks lately and playing some PF Adventure Card Game (Rise of the Runelords, although I have Wrath of the Righteous sitting on the shelf!), and it's given me the itch.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:37 am Video games shouldn't require a 600-page manual.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:40 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:37 am Video games shouldn't require a 600-page manual.
Funny, Falcon 4.0 was running through my head when I said that. I must have tried to get through that manual a dozen time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I have the Pathfinder Core Rulebook and a couple Beastiary books, but that's it. So far the only thing that's snagged me in Kingmaker that I'd call confusing or opaque is that Tristain couldn't wear armor even after I gave him the feat for it. Everything else is wildly complex, yes, but when I hovered over everything it told me what it was. Even during conversations, I could hover over green text to read more into what they were discussing. If there's a real manual for Kingmaker, I've never explored it.

I have been playing video games for over a quarter of a century, though, and a lot of things just feel intuitive that may not to others.

I'm not even close to done with my first playthrough of Kingmaker, though. I feel - and may be wrong - like it'll hold my attention until I finish it. I'm honestly surprised by how much I like it, and I think it has a lot to do with both the complexity and the game layering - where I have a party, but I also have a kingdom to expand and manage it in detail if I want to. Anytime a game adds layers, I find it adds longevity to my attention span.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:45 am Funny, Falcon 4.0 was running through my head when I said that. I must have tried to get through that manual a dozen time.
The trick is not to read it like a book. Get the basics, then hit the tutorials. Dead stick landing was my favorite.
It's almost as if people are the problem.