Phoenix Point - from the creator of the X-COM series in the 1990s

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

stimpy

Re: Phoenix Point - from the creator of the X-COM series in the 1990s

Post by stimpy »

How about instead of worrying that dash should now an AP and that the Scarab should move 1 less tile,
the devs patch in some of the standard quality of life most games have? Oh wait.....that'll make the game too easy......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

<hulk smash> well I've reached the frustrating part in my fifth game. I've only found 2 bases and the pandorans are attacking one every few days. I've taken out 2 lairs and 1 citadel nearby but they pop back up within days it's like a never ending cycle. So I have to leave my top squad there defending, I finally got a 2nd transport out searching with a greener crew.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lassr wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:29 pm <hulk smash> well I've reached the frustrating part in my fifth game. I've only found 2 bases and the pandorans are attacking one every few days. I've taken out 2 lairs and 1 citadel nearby but they pop back up within days it's like a never ending cycle. So I have to leave my top squad there defending, I finally got a 2nd transport out searching with a greener crew.

My experience was a new nest popped up after and attack about every five days or so. That may have been particular to my playing style. It's hard to say what is scripted and what isn't, given the promise the game adapts to the player (That has not seemed true). Now, I always killed bases right away, so I don't know what happens if you let them fester.

I also found it was difficult to get a good functioning second squat going unless you cheesed the game by only using one set of equipment and spent a lot of time refitting barbies back and forth. Really, the fact that the changes seemed like they were encouraging you to treat units like they were tactically disposable while the game strategy at large makes this a very difficult thing to do, even on rookie, is exactly why I set it down for the time being. Either A) there is going to be more of these changes, which would break my attempts to adapt or B) there won't and I will forever think the game "had potential but failed". Either way, I'll just watch for change and worry about coming back later.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Lassr wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:29 pm <hulk smash> well I've reached the frustrating part in my fifth game. I've only found 2 bases and the pandorans are attacking one every few days. I've taken out 2 lairs and 1 citadel nearby but they pop back up within days it's like a never ending cycle. So I have to leave my top squad there defending, I finally got a 2nd transport out searching with a greener crew.

I think the RNG behind bases makes or breaks the game. You need to have 2-3 bases up and running pretty quickly.

I also think that you have to get the mist repeller tech. My vague recollection is that you hadn't gotten that? (Unless I'm confusing you with someone else.) I had one of those in every one of my bases. I don't think that the enemy locations spawn in an area covered by a repeller.

I actually never had a base defense. Not sure why. Maybe it depends on how high your % on the scale gets? I don't think I ever got above 10-12%.

I did have some issues in a couple spots where the Pandorans got a solid foothold. That's when I'd get more frequent haven attacks. And often they were ridiculously strong. I'd let those ones go, but bring over a squad and park it on a haven in the area. That way I'd be able to get to a haven defense in enough time.

Anyway... all that to say... if you don't find a few bases relatively early, ditch the game and start over. Especially useful is a 2nd base on the same continent that you start on. Follow that up with a quick 3rd base on a neighboring continent (like 1/3 to 1/2 of the locations visited). If you get behind the base curve, I don't think you can dig yourself out.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Yes, you are right. I found 3 bases but lost one trying to find the other. Mist meter is at 20% this game and mist repellers have not shown up yet in this game.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:00 pm Either way, I'll just watch for change and worry about coming back later.
I said I was going to do that also but I really enjoy the game up to a certain point and it's honing my skills replaying it. This game was much easier to start this time, although I think it may have to do with some adjustments in the patch, because ambushes and attacks have had much fewer padorans than in my previous games. Very manageable, so much so that I have cut down on my saves and reloads early game. But I still hit a wall eventually.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

<sigh> So it seems that the pandorans will now swarm toward your soldier you have dashed or jet jumped to the spawner. Wasn't like that before. I can't draw them away with my team anymore. You almost have to have rage now to attack a lair. My heavy is one level away, I got him to the spawner in the 3 jumps but never got a shot off against the spawner due to being surrounded by 5 pandorans within 2 turns. And when I do take out a lair or citadel they pop back up so quick now that I've again reached the point that I can't venture far away or I cannot protect my bases and I haven't built up the resources to fully occupy my bases with soldiers while my team hunts.

It is really time to put this game on the shelf. Moving on to The Outer Worlds.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Update:
Today we released patch 1.0.55225 “Miskatonic” for Phoenix Point on the Epic Games Store to address the following bugs:

MAJOR FIXES

Fixed a hang when using the Technician’s Manual Control ability on a structural target
Fixed a hang when a Technician’s turret returns fire and kills an enemy
Fixed a hang when entering the Scarab in the first Tutorial mission
Fixed an issue where the player’s units could be deployed inside of walls on some story missions
Fixed an issue where the Spider Drone Pack ability claimed the player didn’t have enough ammo
Fixed an issue where loading a game with the bonus power research caused the player’s facilities to power down
Fixed an issue where Dash, Jet Jump, Deploy Turret, and Vanish couldn’t be used on specific maps
Improved the Scylla’s AI so it no longer spawns Mindfraggers inside environmental objects
Fixed an issue where the player’s units couldn’t navigate certain parts of the Moonshot mission

OTHER FIXES

Fixed an issue where Synedrion Research maps didn’t spawn enough consoles for the player to hack
Fixed an issue where vehicles and Mutogs couldn’t navigate Phoenix Base maps
Fixed an issue where units could walk inside certain walls of the Phoenix Base maps
Improved the collision box of certain environmental elements inside Alien Bases which blocked shots
Fixed an issue where certain cover spots in Synedrion maps weren’t shown by the UI
Fixed an issue where units couldn’t vault over some windows in New Jericho maps
Improved the transparency effect on certain buildings inside Synedrion maps
Added enemy reinforcement icons to Ambush maps
Fixed an issue where the player’s units couldn’t jump through circular windows on the roofs of Disciples of Anu maps and destroying the window broke the whole building
Fixed several issues where environmental props remained floating in the air when the floor beneath them had been destroyed.

We appreciate your patience while we are working through the bug reports. There are still some issues which have been reported that are not covered in this patch. Rest assured, the team is working to resolve all bugs as quickly as possible. If you do encounter any in-game bugs, please hit the F12 key to send a bug report directly to our QA department.

Expect the patch to follow slightly later on the Windows Store/Game Pass after certification.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

the people responsible for sacking the people who had been sacked have been sacked.

If you have been affected by the missing inventory items since the Miskatonic patch deployed today (Jan 31st), please do not save over your save-games. We’re currently debugging the issue, after which you should be able to reload your original saves with all of your equipment.

However, this will not work if you save over that file with a new save where the equipment is already missing.
Thanks for the update, I'll keep waiting. I've more less moved on already.

I'm still shocked not to see the bases consuming more than 20 energy fixed.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:16 pm the people responsible for sacking the people who had been sacked have been sacked.

If you have been affected by the missing inventory items since the Miskatonic patch deployed today (Jan 31st), please do not save over your save-games. We’re currently debugging the issue, after which you should be able to reload your original saves with all of your equipment.

However, this will not work if you save over that file with a new save where the equipment is already missing.

Isn't that?
Fixed an issue where loading a game with the bonus power research caused the player’s facilities to power down

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:27 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:16 pm the people responsible for sacking the people who had been sacked have been sacked.

Isn't that?
There we go. I guess my eyes are tired. This is why it's bad for me to do lasting impact work on a Friday afternoon. :oops:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Still no Wussy difficulty level...

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Well, I came back to this game, after watching videos and I've learned that the game ramps up difficulty if your early missions are too successful. No injuries and kill all the pandorans easily then it ramps up difficulty. If you reload a lot it artificially ramps up difficulty. That is bullshit.

I'm again at a point where I can't win. Citadels are still pretty easy to take out but Lairs...holy shit. They've neutered a lot of the abilities that worked on Lairs and it requires a lot of reloads now and my last attempted I faced 8 Sirens, 2 Chiron launching fire worms and too many of the other Pandorans, my team gets overwhelmed as I try to Jump Jet to the lair to get a quick kill but they now have a least 1 siren and several pandorans guarding the lair so when you get there you either get killed or mind controlled. If you try to work your way to the lair with the team you run out of ammo eventually.

But if they ramp up the difficulty for reloading then you just need to accept loses but then I run out of high level soldiers and have to let missions go that save faction bases because my team is not up to the task as I wait for leveling up at my bases. So I hope they eventually include difficulty adjustments that you can select when starting a game or wait for a MOD that does it. (may be one now but I haven't looked).

This is a strange game for me, I LOVE it yet I can't win it and it pisses me off, usually I quit those type of games and uninstall but this has so much potential.

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yikes. Kind of glad I got my game in before the nerfs. It sounds like they have gone way overboard on the nerfs to the point that it isn't possible to win any more. That would not make me happy.

Black Lives Matter

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Watched a series of videos from December and then you watch people play now on twitch and there is big difference. I know several twitchers would say if you see the bombard chirons, you might as well reload because it is so unfair that they launch from the other side of the map and wipe out your team before you can even see them. It was comforting see them having to reload and restart often too. Yet you still have people saying it is too easy. I bet they were testers and the developers are listening to them because I've seen plenty of gripes about the difficulty and then some troll coming in and saying if you can't handle play a child's game...

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Today we have released a hotfix patch to rectify two issues introduced in the previous patch, “Miskatonic”.

Patch Notes
  • Fixed a bug where players without Storage Facility in one of their bases lost all items in their inventory
  • Players will have to load a game save that was saved prior to items disappearing to retain their inventory
  • Fixed a bug that caused Geoscape scans never to complete
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

So game number 7 is much easier. There are less pandorans to deal with in early missions and no reloads yet for me. Maybe, hopefully, they've adjusted the difficulty in latest patch. Going to do my first lair mission tonight. Fingers crossed.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:50 pm So game number 7 is much easier. There are less pandorans to deal with in early missions and no reloads yet for me. Maybe, hopefully, they've adjusted the difficulty in latest patch. Going to do my first lair mission tonight. Fingers crossed.
It was not a lair but a 3rd nest, took it out, and I have advanced in this game much easier than my previous 6 games. My first lair did finally pop up and I met a Siren immediately and paralyzed it but it was bleeding out. Tried to see if I could evacuate without finishing the mission and would it let me capture the Siren? Nope. So I will restart the lair mission tomorrow night. This will be my first reload but only because I was testing a strategy of retreat with captured pandorans which failed.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lair mission successful after a few reloads, still extremely hard but not impossible. Lost a level 6 assault soldier in the process and almost several others. They were running for their dear life at the end with arm injuries and no ammo while my heavy jumped to the lair and blasted the spawner over 4 turns. Rage would have helped but I'm one level away from that.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Update because I know all of you are asking I wonder how lassr is doing in his most recent game...

I have advanced further than any of my other games. I'm still trying to capture a Scylla but I've made it well past some of the missions from previous games, still have reloads but not near as many. So it feels like they have improved the difficulty for rookie level. Still needs a lot of adjustments such as the bombard chirons but it is better

Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lassr wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:25 pm Update because I know all of you are asking I wonder how lassr is doing in his most recent game...

I have advanced further than any of my other games. I'm still trying to capture a Scylla but I've made it well past some of the missions from previous games, still have reloads but not near as many. So it feels like they have improved the difficulty for rookie level. Still needs a lot of adjustments such as the bombard chirons but it is better

...and based on the feedback in this thread I have yet to even install it despite the fact that I can play it for free on GamePass. Because I know you were wondering if Coop had broken down to try it yet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

Did I see that the first expansion is slowly getting ready to be released?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:27 pm ...and based on the feedback in this thread I have yet to even install it despite the fact that I can play it for free on GamePass.
+1 here, guilty
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Tampa_Gamer wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 am
coopasonic wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:27 pm ...and based on the feedback in this thread I have yet to even install it despite the fact that I can play it for free on GamePass.
+1 here, guilty
All I can say, even with the frustration of the difficulty, it is still one of the most fun games I've played (if you like XCOM type games). I've gotten plenty of practice at it and I hope the difficulty is adjusted eventually (officially or through MODS).

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If you just want to experience what the game is about and you have access for free, I would go ahead and give it a few hours. If you want to do it with the intend of discovering and playing through the game, then as of about a month ago, I'd stay away.

I am also watching the thread for whatever magic feedback is going to pull me back in. I'm not sure what it is yet.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Woohoo, I captured a scylla using Athena Neural Sniper Rifles with Rage Burst. Still not sure I'll win this game with 75% mist coverage and about 15 havens remaining but I'm not giving up yet.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Made it to the Pandoran Palace mission and it's impossible to win. 2 Scyllas, 4 chirons, 10+ Anthrons with grenade launchers, 2 sirens that is all I saw before my team was wiped out by 5 grenades from Anthrons launched on my team, The chirons were all goo this try, first try it was 2 fire worms and 2 bombard and the the bombard chirons wiped out my team. I can't find a way forward on this mission. Mist is at 94% and less than 10 havens remaining. So time to give up or just play it out to the end.

They made the difficulty easier but still way way way too difficult for a rookie level game.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I just put the timer on fast and sped to the end and saw the 15 seconds losers video...anti-climatic after spending all that time building up to the great failure.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

First DLC reveal!

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I did start a game with some MODS, one MOD does not increase the difficulty as you have success but on Rookie it is way too easy...that is until you get to the Palace mission then it's the same as before. My team was bombarded into submission. So there must be some trick to it that I'm not figuring out yet. Do I jump jet to the big boss to take it out like the lair mission? I'll give it another go tonight.

But I do like to hear that there is a new difficulty patch coming...

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I didn't realize it till I watched the whole video that the Blood and Titanium DLC is being released tomorrow (March 4th). It will be accompanied by a free content patch. I am currently reinstalling PP and I won't install any mods before I play again so as to not louse anything up.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I have fought my way to the yuggothian receptacle but I can't figure out how to use the virophage injector. When it is selected I have no options to use it. WTF?

Edit: You have to kill the boss to use the injector. Shit, I may not have enough ammo to kill the boss...sigh
Last edited by Lassr on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lassr wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:06 am I have fought my way to the yuggothian receptacle but I can't figure out how to use the virophage injector.
So that's what you kids are calling it nowadays :wink:

Sorry, I've never gotten that far into the game :roll:. Maybe someone else can help...
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:11 am
Lassr wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:06 am I have fought my way to the yuggothian receptacle but I can't figure out how to use the virophage injector.

Sorry, I've never gotten that far into the game :roll:. Maybe someone else can help...
The injector is used after you kill the boss, which has 9000 hit points and impenetrable defense walls. Ridiculously over-powered.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Be aware that according to the video above, when the free content patch releases it is recommended that a new game be started due to the changes. So if you are committed to your current game make sure you have Auto Update turned off.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Lassr wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:12 am

The injector is used after you kill the boss, which has 9000 hit points and impenetrable defense walls. Ridiculously over-powered.
As I recall, there is always one opening. It will move around every turn or so. Plus you get additional enemies that spawn every (other?) turn. So you may need to keep moving your guys to take advantage of the opening. Or shoot when the opening is on your side, and focus on the adds when it's not.

Also, to answer Lassr's question, snipers. Lots of snipers. They don't help a ton with the initial batch, but they do allow you to shoot the later mobs without getting close enough to trigger them. Also, if you haven't filled up every available inventory slot with ammo, you are going to have problems.

Black Lives Matter

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:16 am Be aware that according to the video above, when the free content patch releases it is recommended that a new game be started due to the changes. So if you are committed to your current game make sure you have Auto Update turned off.
The frustration with the ridiculous difficulty of this game has me not caring. I hope there is some MAJOR balancing of the difficulty with the new patch. I've tried for the past 3 hours trying to win that last battle and it's not happening, I don't have the ammo for the 6000 hit points remaining. I hope they fix the aiming also, since the last patch I miss A LOT of my sniper shots even when the reticle has 100% coverage of the target. It like it is almost guaranteed to find the smallest gap to miss the target.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

TheMix wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:29 am
Lassr wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:12 am

As I recall, there is always one opening. It will move around every turn or so. Plus you get additional enemies that spawn every (other?) turn. So you may need to keep moving your guys to take advantage of the opening. Or shoot when the opening is on your side, and focus on the adds when it's not.

Also, to answer Lassr's question, snipers. Lots of snipers. They don't help a ton with the initial batch, but they do allow you to shoot the later mobs without getting close enough to trigger them. Also, if you haven't filled up every available inventory slot with ammo, you are going to have problems.
I had 3 heavies and 7 snipers and some assaults. (I had the mod to use your whole squad from both aircraft). My inventory was full of ammo. Problem with snipers is they miss a lot now so a lot of wasted shots.

Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, I stopped a while ago. As, even though I loved the game play, the difficulty was not something I wanted to bear through, and the fact that three DLC would almost require a replay, I figured I would wait to play.

I bought in early, so I am getting everything. So I most likely will not even play with just this DLC out honestly.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:27 pm First DLC reveal!
Too bad they lost me with their release candidate then subsequent drastic changes to make the game more difficult while 'meh'ing major bugs and not really examining how/why the game was difficult.

I can't support the intrinsic cashgrab for their method. If the game had been what it could have been on release, I'd give them more money right now. So much goodness potential in there. As it goes, I'll wait for the game I have to get, you know, finished and then I'll feel like I'm entitled to discounted DLC. If you're going to emulate the Paradox method for revenue, you better damned well at least have the Paradox level of QA. Heck, I like the state of Paradox release candidates and it takes something special for me to buy their DLC after DLC at full price on release.

I'll keep watching this thread. I hope you guys keep playing and let me know when it's good come back. ;)