Phoenix Point - from the creator of the X-COM series in the 1990s

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: Phoenix Point - from the creator of the X-COM series in the 1990s

Post by TheMix »

I'd have warned you if I'd known. I tried using a vehicle. But our vehicle really sucks. The rockets are AWESOME! But you only get 4 shots. I think the New Jericho one at least is a gun; so hopefully it'll have more shots. The only thing I can think to do with them is put one in each base for base defense. At least in the at-risk bases.

For the record, New Jerico and Synedrion only have one special each (Technician and Infilitrator). The Anu have two, the Priest and the Berserker. I didn't really like the Berserker. And the Infiltrator has left me cold. At least until you get the higher tech Synedrion weapons. Then dual spec into something with a decent weapon. The crossbow blows. The Technician is pretty good. But as a support character. The higher tech turrets are pretty nice; and having 8 healing charges is pretty awesome. But the Priest is the one that really shines if you get a good helmet mutation. Until you get the Virus sniper rifle, the Priest is useless in terms of weapons.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

^&%$#@((!*&^

Well Psychic resistance helmet modules do not stop mind control. Thought they would since that is what I get after studying Sirens but I just had a mission with 3 Sirens, and they controlled 3 of my of my 6 players before I could get a shot off. Mission over reload yet again. At this point I'm not sure how to move forward with this game and I don't want to start over again...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

At the moment I feel you. Up to now I've been able to take out Siren's on the turn they mind control or even before. Or at least take out their heads. Snipers are your friend. Unfortunately, I'm assaulting a lair with no good lines-of-sight. And I forgot about the sonic scream since I've never encountered it before. 4 of my 6 guys panicked. So much for taking them out.

"Thankfully" it appears that my game has frozen on the pandoran turn. So it looks like I'll have to restart. Now to figure out how to get some line-of-site on the sirens before they get close. I may be able to destroy some terrain....

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:57 pm Or at least take out their heads. Snipers are your friend.

I hit four sirens earlier today. Fortunately, two of them were spot table from start. 2 rifle quickdraws from two snipers disabled two of them. Two assaults dashing with stunners got a third when it became visable. The third got in a mind control and a poison before I got it under control with sniping and then brute force. Fortunately for me there was only one triton and one archawhatever to support them of I'd have been in big trouble.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:00 pm 1) The Spawner/target will be in the back left or back right corner. The advice I found was to just pretend you were taking a character there. If it won't let you see the path all the way, then that's where your target is hiding.
I cheesed the lair with this advice and I'm glad I did. I would have wiped again, badly stumbling blindly. But taking all six (still don't have a seater) of my guys as a unit forward until "oh, shit" and then B Lining to the lair saved my bacon.

Getting close to my first alliance. An extraction task to take me to the next level with New Jericho is now on the board.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My last Lair run last night started well, but got really ugly. It's tough when you can't get a good line of sight for your snipers. I also think that the Infiltrators mostly suck. At least until you can dual class into something like an Assault. I'm pretty sure that an Infiltrator would run out of ammo long before taking out the Spawnery. But 2 shotgun blasts or ~4 assault rifle blasts should take one out. Last night I finally gave up and retreated with all but one Assault. He had enough Will to make 3 Dashes along with a full move/sprint. That allowed him to get all the way to the Spawnery. Though it was still close. He had one round of attacks and then 2 enemies showed up. Luckily he only needed the second attack.

And I am also loving the destructible terrain. I used it last night to make a different path and avoid a lot of the enemies. And then I cleared a bunch in order to give my snipers better visibility.

For today I'm discovering that helping an ally on an attack/defense of a non-allied faction (I'm pretty much decided "screw the Anu") is a great way to (relatively) safely collect some nice resources. Especially if you can find one where the opposing forces are really weak. The amount of reward doesn't seem to be tied to the difficulty. And Anu are nice because they don't have soldiers that snipe or are stealthed. And if they bring one of their "pets", more the better. Unloading a whole clip of a cannon makes short work of those. :D

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

~4 assault rifle blasts should take one out.
At my current position, it's 5... but with 3 Assault units with 20 WP each, that made it easy. :ninja: I had wanted to take down my first shrieking sentinel too, but not time. We were in full "Oh shit" mode.

I have my first alliance now. I wonder is I can get all three allied before they their cold wars with each other turn hot.

I have 7 of 8 bases and one is in "South Asia" yet to be found. I have one in NE North America, none in South America, the Australia region, or Antarctica. Two are in Africa, one in West Europe, Three more in Asia/East Europe. This could make the defending more... interesting. If I ever get troops (I'm up to 13 :oops: ) and train them, I may have to put them in vehicles and park them as a rapid response teams.

I'm finally conceding the need to trade for resources. I'm at about 4000 food and 800 tech just waiting for materials so I can make a containment unit and then recruit!!!! Jericho will give me 10:2 Materials:Tech, so I'm off. (Still have scavenged 0 sites but I fear there is a lot evolution coming and scavenging only seems to accelerate that)

... I always wonder what happens if you take on the side missions from independent havens. I always take the route that gains faction favor. Assuming I win this playthrough, next time I'm going to to take on all of these missions and piss off the factions left and right.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

FYI, I did a mission for an independent faction that involved invading a faction haven. I didn't actually lose any rep with the faction. Apparently I made it "look" like the independent haven was responsible.

20WP? That's impressive. At the very beginning I put points into Speed, WP, and Strength. But by level 4 I was too busy buying skills. I keep telling myself I'm going to go back... I definitely could use more WP, but I think I'm glad I went with Speed first. There have been a number of times where being able to move longer distances made a huge difference.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Good lord the priests are fun.

And a lair pops up while my A Team is half a world a way. That lair is going to sit there for a bit.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Which Priest head mods have you gotten? This game I've gotten 2 that have the Psychic Scream. It's too situational. If things are "perfect", then it's awesome (case in point when a Siren panicked 4 of my 6 guys with one scream). But most of the time it's wasted. By far my favorite so far is the one that lets everyone in range get back 2 WP each round. I don't even care if he attacks. I sit him next to my 3 snipers in that group. :D

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:49 pm Which Priest head mods have you gotten? This game I've gotten 2 that have the Psychic Scream. It's too situational. If things are "perfect", then it's awesome (case in point when a Siren panicked 4 of my 6 guys with one scream). But most of the time it's wasted. By far my favorite so far is the one that lets everyone in range get back 2 WP each round. I don't even care if he attacks. I sit him next to my 3 snipers in that group. :D
I dunno. It's a big metallic head and an armored torso. But that's not what I used him for. I was taking mind control over arthrods with grenade arms and then suicide bombing with them. The best was when they provoke return fire after dropping a grenade, getting themselves killed so I didn't have to pay upkeep, and they reduced the will power of everyone around them making it so it was easier to take over more.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I occasionally mind control. But I haven't ramped up my WP as much as you, so that doesn't happen too often. I prefer the cheaper Panic. It's often more useful since I can panic 2-3 enemies in one turn, allowing my soldiers time to clean things up.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

In this game I was skipping the Berserker, but after doing some reading last night, I need to revisit them. The combo that I hadn't though about was a Berserker/Heavy that used the Armor Break with grenades... Being able to strip 50 armor from a bunch of body parts in one go would be pretty awesome.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm at midgame I think. I don't know how not to use the lair cheese. It takes from too difficult to first turn finish every time. :oops:

After my next lair run, I should be off to create an alliance with Sydrion. That will make all three allied. I see the tech TheMix implied that suggests nests exist at least some time before they start attacking havens even if I can't said nests until havens are hit. I'm really curious about the tech tree. Each of the two factions I am allied with have five things I can research but every time one is completed another one takes its place. Earlier I assumed there were no weapon upgrades but now I can see them coming down the line.

Still haven't seen my first citadel yet. I'm in month two and broke, with my roaming attack force of eight, B squad of six sitting in central defense in Africa and training, and working toward another squad of six so i can move B squad to in the field in South America as I can't imagine it long before havens start getting attacked there and it's a long trip from Africa South America.

On the plus side, my relations have me in a position where I can start acting as go between and trading to a very slight advantage. I'm getting materials 12:2 from tech at a few places that I can readily sell for 2:10... Only I need materials, so....

So I need to get on the tech train and advance my equipment before Sirens get too problematic to survive. I've seen as many as five them on a single mission and... well, I survived... They are now reinforcing their heads and that's not good. My last haven defense saw three of them and, well, I survived...

Let me know how your bezerkers do. Mine are flying around picking up loot, hoping not to get ambushed in such a way that they can't escape.

I haven't played with berzerkers or crossbow guys at all yet (the stealth dynamic is largely a mystery to me and while the AI plays pretty smart, I've gone up against a ton of them in on mission, and mission was like. Oh, a piece of candy. Oh, a piece of candy. Oh, a piece of candy.) and I have not been very effective in playing the tech class yet... Which reminds me. I really need to start selling off equipment. I'm not over run with equipment I don't use by any stretch, but I am always looking for income.

I currently only have one multiclass character. I made my initial heavy into a heavy sniper and then dumped about half my squad points into him. I'm waiting for some of my more promising perked guys to hit level 7 before multiclassing more. I will then spend more squat points.

Oh and mutating. I keep forgetting to collect samples. +2 mutation a day is... nothing.

Edit:NM on trading. I was looking the wrong way. I'm still 2:10 tech to materials.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm really curious about the tech tree. Each of the two factions I am allied with have five things I can research but every time one is completed another one takes its place. Earlier I assumed there were no weapon upgrades but now I can see them coming down the line.
FYI, you don't research the tech you get from allies. You just get it. So when you first ally with a faction, you should instantly get access to all their tech. Or at least all they are willing to share. I think I read that there is some tech that they won't share until you hit 75. I think that later there may be the option to co-research with them. i.e. You'll be able to add something that they are still in the process of researching to your queue as well. But mostly you just get new research from them periodically as they complete the research on it. It's a bit of a weird dynamic. Like, the stuff should just pop up, not make you go into your Research tab and select the option to add it to your queue; since you don't add it, but just get it outright.
Still haven't seen my first citadel yet.
I'm a bit farther than you, I believe. And I just got the ability to find citadels with scans. It may have been the completion of the Scylla research. I just completed vivisection on a live one. Though I don't recall doing that in my previous game, and I was seeing the citadels in that one. But maybe I did. So you may want to try and bag one of them.
Still haven't seen my first citadel yet.
Comments I've read generally suggest multi-classing as soon as possible. Unless the character has random skills that make you want to keep them single-class (which I've only done with a couple of Assaults). The low level skills from the second class are generally more useful than waiting. Though I suppose that's what's allowed you to do the Lairs in one shot. I can't on the first turn because I don't have the WP to Dash enough times. I also don't like that seeing an enemy will stop your soldier mid-dash. And since you are likely to see a lot of mobs on the way to the spawnery, I'm assuming you "waste" a number of dashes.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:04 pm FYI, you don't research the tech you get from allies. You just get it. So when you first ally with a faction, you should instantly get access to all their tech. Or at least all they are willing to share. I think I read that there is some tech that they won't share until you hit 75. I think that later there may be the option to co-research with them. i.e. You'll be able to add something that they are still in the process of researching to your queue as well. But mostly you just get new research from them periodically as they complete the research on it. It's a bit of a weird dynamic. Like, the stuff should just pop up, not make you go into your Research tab and select the option to add it to your queue; since you don't add it, but just get it outright.
I'm at 75 with two factions and working on 75 with the third. I can supplement their research and see their options.

Enlarge Image

I'm a bit farther than you, I believe. And I just got the ability to find citadels with scans. It may have been the completion of the Scylla research. I just completed vivisection on a live one. Though I don't recall doing that in my previous game, and I was seeing the citadels in that one. But maybe I did. So you may want to try and bag one of them.
It's a tech. I don't want spoil for people. I don't have it yet but I can see it.
Comments I've read generally suggest multi-classing as soon as possible.
I dunno if it's the easy game but I'm going alright (on serious try number four) with min max approach to gaming. I use people with what they are designed for. I'd also sooner take a perk that emulates a second class over taking the class until such a time I need to. By maxing will and speed of my assaults I have scouts. If they can get sniper or heavy as a perk then I have devastation with speed. My snipers just need to snipe. My heavy took on sniper as a secondary and he can fly to high ground or go toe to toe.
I also don't like that seeing an enemy will stop your soldier mid-dash.
The irony here is that I send out my snipers, heavy, and priest to spot as many units as I can before sending out assaults. Also in my latest lair hit, my Assault with a heavies MG one shotted the spawnery. It's a cheesy exploit I shouldn't use but I'm weak. I assume they will patch it out later. It's hard not to use, as the UI forced you to move your cursor over everything to estimate movements and LOS and then there's the glaring holes in your movement options when you use dash.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Even if you don't want to put points in the second class' skills, don't underestimate the ability to swap armor. Being able to put a sniper helm (and possibly sniper legs) on a Heavy can take you from a significant negative hit % to a significant positive hit %. And depending on the gear, increase your perception too.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:40 pm Even if you don't want to put points in the second class' skills, don't underestimate the ability to swap armor. Being able to put a sniper helm (and possibly sniper legs) on a Heavy can take you from a significant negative hit % to a significant positive hit %. And depending on the gear, increase your perception too.
Wait. You don't get the bonuses from swapping armor without specializing? Stop the bus!!!!! I might be doing things all wrong. As far as I know the only armor bonuses you get for being proper class is the jump packs and mounts. I've been mixing and matching wrong class armor the whole game and it's seemed to be working. All my squad A have an Acheron helmet. Most of my squat have the Acheron pants as well. As resources permit I am making Acoloyte pants to give to my mutant and assault troops. My chest plates vary. Heavies get the jump pack, primary snipers get Acheron, primary Assault and Mutant get the speed (eventually Acoloyte but that's ways off)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think you are talking about Faction armors. I'm talking about Class armor.

A Heavy can only wear Heavy armor. But can wear any Faction's Heavy armor.

But a Heavy/Sniper can wear either Heavy armor or Sniper armor. From any Faction.

So a Heavy wearing a Phoenix Point Golem-B helmet has -5 Perception and -10 Accuracy. If you dual class to Sniper and change the soldier's helm to the Synedrion Acheron Sniper helmet, you will go to +7 Perception and +20% Accuracy. Or a gain of 12 Perception and 30% Accuracy. Just for swapping the helmet.

I haven't decided if I'm making too easy to kill my soldiers, but everyone that can wear sniper gear pretty much is. At this point it seems far more valuable to be able to make a shot than to have extra armor.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Reading your post again.... I'm confused. Are you saying that the game is letting you equip an Acheron Sniper helmet on soldiers that do not have the Sniper class??? My game won't let me. The only armor that shows up in the Equipment window is the armor for their class.

Wow. Okay. I didn't know that all you had to do was select the tab for the other classes and you could equip their gear. That's a bit of game changer. Also... :doh:

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

:grund: :grund: :grund: :grund:

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ow. At least you learned something from me after all I have learned from you. :D
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I've taken out 3 citadels so far. Key to me is I have 5 soldiers with sniper ability and I park them at the back of the map next to the escape zone, I have 1 or 2 assault soldiers up front guarding them. All you have to do to win is take out the Big Alien and about 5 or 6 turns of sniping takes care of it. About that time you are about to be swarmed under by the smaller aliens. Nice that you win as soon as the biggie is taken out, if you had to clear everything out, geez, that would be a no win scenario almost.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Lassr wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:10 pm I've taken out 3 citadels so far. Key to me is I have 5 soldiers with sniper ability and I park them at the back of the map next to the escape zone, I have 1 or 2 assault soldiers up front guarding them. All you have to do to win is take out the Big Alien and about 5 or 6 turns of sniping takes care of it. About that time you are about to be swarmed under by the smaller aliens. Nice that you win as soon as the biggie is taken out, if you had to clear everything out, geez, that would be a no win scenario almost.
Try dual spec'ing one of your Snipers to Heavy. Then pick up Rage Burst. Even using a sniper rifle instead of a cannon, you can probably take the Scylla out in one turn. The only thing that might cause an issue is if you don't have the armor piercing sniper rifle.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

BAM!

Enlarge Image

And this marks the complete waste of my holiday break.

No citadels in site yet but I've got the world mostly explored. Once I do, I will probably build a few research spots and begin working on scavenge sites. The world is full of them and zero of them have been touched. I'll be sure to bring in some parallysis for mutagens. I think my soldiers have a lot of untapped potential... /ANU.

(Not sure what will prompt the cold wars to turn hot, but they all love me)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:18 pm
Lassr wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:10 pm I've taken out 3 citadels so far. Key to me is I have 5 soldiers with sniper ability and I park them at the back of the map next to the escape zone, I have 1 or 2 assault soldiers up front guarding them. All you have to do to win is take out the Big Alien and about 5 or 6 turns of sniping takes care of it. About that time you are about to be swarmed under by the smaller aliens. Nice that you win as soon as the biggie is taken out, if you had to clear everything out, geez, that would be a no win scenario almost.
Try dual spec'ing one of your Snipers to Heavy. Then pick up Rage Burst. Even using a sniper rifle instead of a cannon, you can probably take the Scylla out in one turn. The only thing that might cause an issue is if you don't have the armor piercing sniper rifle.
I do not have armor piercing yet. One of my heavy has sniper abilities and carries the hell cannon, if I can get hits with him (and changing to the sniper armor truly helps), I can take it out in about 3 turns.

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Anyone explain to me how collecting mutagens works? I paralyzed a bunch a few pandorans but my mutagen production remains at 2. No pandorans shows as collected at the end of the mission. I have two containment facilities.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Not 100% sure. And not sure about your situation. Though I will say that I've collected paralyzed pandorans and not had it show it after the end of the mission. Maybe it only shows them if you need them for research?

At any rate, from somewhere in the game text, you actually want to open up your containment screen in Personnel and then delete/dispose/trash the ones in containment. Then you'll get the mutagens. Unfortunately, my last game crashed before I could actually test that. Since I'd just purged my containment shortly before I got the research.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't have the tech yet. :oops:

I found where I can see me stored pandorans. It's in the personnel area. I'm collecting pandorans. I just can't harvest them yet and the tech is like five down in my priorities. It's be a while. So I guess it's two mutagens a day for the foreseeable future.

As I wrap up my break and get ready for going back to work, I think I'm pretty safely in the mid game now with the world just about fully explored. The one thing I don't care for is that you don't really plan for the logistics of your game. There are no load outs or transports between bases. I've been primarily one squad so this doesn't mean too much but as I am getting to where I need to protect vast amounts of the world, it would be very easy to have a set of uber equipment and sell everything else in order to keep a very large staff throughout the world and then just have equipment instantly jump from battle to battle. It's not a dynamic I'll take advantage of (even if I do other cheese stuff like one turn lair kills. That's hard not to take advantage of because my squad is recon, scouting and choosing targets is what they do) but it feels like the game design should have done something for logistics.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Is there no way to reload ammo for vehicles in combat? Seems you have to take it back to base, unload, for it to repair and reload?

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've never used a vehicle. :oops:

When I watched one of the play through, it looks like it repaired and reloaded automatigally between missions. I don't think they can reload at all during a mission though. The Scarab had four shots and then it was empty.

The technician arms can repair mechanical devices... so...

Ohh and new tech I won't get to use now that I'm done for the night.
Spoiler:
paralyzing sniper rifles!!! Gonna have to think long and hard about that
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:27 pm I've never used a vehicle. :oops:

When I watched one of the play through, it looks like it repaired and reloaded automatigally between missions. I don't think they can reload at all during a mission though. The Scarab had four shots and then it was empty.

The technician arms can repair mechanical devices... so...
It kind of makes them a hindrance since you lose so many soldier spots and run out ammo quickly.

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't use them, so *shrug*

most of my fights don't go much more than fix or six rounds anyway. The maps are too small. Assuming they support this expensive DLC, I'd like to see tactics expanded with larger maps. Though this would change the stamina dynamic dramatically or create a need for a lot more squads (and the economics to support them). I'm OK with that.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lassr wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:20 pm Is there no way to reload ammo for vehicles in combat? Seems you have to take it back to base, unload, for it to repair and reload?
Yes, I asked that question in the PP forums a while back.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

started my 3rd game. 2nd game was becoming unwinnable and unenjoyable, maybe with all the lessons learned I can make some progress this time.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is the only way to attack a Lair :wink:

Of course the stupid thing was that I figured I'd do an end run to the back left corner and in spite of fourteen soldiers tromping through the place, no one noticed me till I was standing next to the spawnery. Goodbye spawnery :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

So.... What? You take two ships and park them on a location, then when you Deploy, both groups get to go?

Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:10 am So.... What? You take two ships and park them on a location, then when you Deploy, both groups get to go?
Only when using a Mod :wink:. I got tired of getting my ass beat at lairs and so installed the mod, then it turned out I didn't need it :roll:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:32 am
TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:10 am So.... What? You take two ships and park them on a location, then when you Deploy, both groups get to go?
Only when using a Mod :wink:. I got tired of getting my ass beat at lairs and so installed the mod, then it turned out I didn't need it :roll:
Ah. Thanks. The drawback to playing on Xbox for Windows is that you can't mod.

Black Lives Matter

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:32 am
Ah, I was about to do a :doh: but it's a mod which is a mod I think I want. Some missions I can't get through because I'm so outnumbered and maybe I haven't figured out the right tactic but I don't want a game where there is only one tactic to win, i want variety like XCOM, there are so many combinations of tactics that will work.

Black Lives Matter