Phoenix Point - from the creator of the X-COM series in the 1990s

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: Phoenix Point - from the creator of the X-COM series in the 1990s

Post by TheMix »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:38 am I've reached a point with two of the factions, the Disciples of Anu and Synedrion, where to get a further positive rating with them I have to do a mission each for them. Sort of showing that I'm serious. New Jericho would be more pissed at me if I hadn't cleaned out that nest.
Guessing the latter are the ones that "loaned" you that aircraft? 8-)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Not sure about Epic. No time to play right now. Unsure if my old rig is up to the strain.

But I will probably hop on this train fairly soon.

I still remember walking to the car (a 1980 Monte Carlo) with the original X-Com box thinking "what is this?".
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I haven't had a ton of time to play so far, but I'm enjoying it now that I understand the mechanics a little better.

I will say the starting tutorial shows you the very basics, but it's terrible at really spelling out how things work. In addition to jztemple2's post, I watched the first part of Christopher Odd's new series and it all made much more sense after watching one battle than by going through the entire tutorial.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Had my first rage-quit moment yesterday, when one of my guys missed a shot, resulting in a crab dude being able to walk up to another one of my guys and hit him three times.

The "raid" mission types vs havens where you have to destroy a power generator or whatever are extremely annoying - instead of just letting you finish up with a 'victory' once all the enemies are destroyed, it makes you plink-plink-plink against the generator(s).

A couple of pro tips:
- Make sure your guys are fully loaded up with ammo and weapons *before* you explore a site. You may get ambushed and won't be able to adjust equipment etc. Similarly, probably don't start exploring if you've got a couple of half-dead dudes in the craft. Go back to base and unload them, first.
- On missions where you have to destroy some marked target and take out all the bad guys, you don't need to waste ammo on the targets - you can walk up and bash them (unless they're explosive). Just put your gun away first.
- The Heavy's grenade launcher is actually best thought of as a shotgun with a slug - good at short ranges, but horribly inaccurate at long ranges.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

TheMix wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:43 am
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:38 am I've reached a point with two of the factions, the Disciples of Anu and Synedrion, where to get a further positive rating with them I have to do a mission each for them. Sort of showing that I'm serious. New Jericho would be more pissed at me if I hadn't cleaned out that nest.
Guessing the latter are the ones that "loaned" you that aircraft? 8-)
Yup, that would be New Jericho :D. That mission was tough because my troops came up against a really evil couple of sets of bad guys, a nasty sniper paired with a heavily armored assaulter. The armor on the latter was of a higher rating than my assault rifles so they were completely useless against it. Only a sniper rifle or a heavy cannon would have been able to breach the armor, but I found that using grenades soften him up enough to make him vulnerable to everyone.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:59 pm - The Heavy's grenade launcher is actually best thought of as a shotgun with a slug - good at short ranges, but horribly inaccurate at long ranges.
Yeah, I learned that the hard way, thinking he could really be of use at a distance. What the heavy is best at is breaking the shield of that one enemy class, the shield is a larger target. I have to say that while at times the AI is a bit too rush-happy (they are mutants after all), that one creature with the shield seems to know when it is a good time to use it.

Also I found a good operational strategy once I got my Scarab tank and my second aircraft. I put the Scarab in the smaller plane and let it do the scouting of the "?" locations. If it was a Haven or one of those decision screens, all good, and if it is a supply gathering mission I send the Scarab away and send the humans. And if it is an Ambush, well, the tank can hold off pretty much everything for three turns and then evacuate :D .
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I hate the alien artillery pieces. I just had my entire squad killed by one.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:shock:

"Ouch" doesn't seem like it would even begin to cover that.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

IceBear wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:19 pm I hate the alien artillery pieces. I just had my entire squad killed by one.
Well, that's just bad squad spacing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:26 pm
IceBear wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:19 pm I hate the alien artillery pieces. I just had my entire squad killed by one.
Well, that's just bad squad spacing.
I guess...I moved one guy just a little and revealed 2 crabmen. I moved the rest of my squad into nearby cover and focused fired on the revealed mutants. End turn and then boom...artillery strike from hell. Obviously need to spread them out even more after they take their shots, but given where it was on the map I don't think I would have been able to reach it before it killed quite a number. I need to understand how they work better. I assumed they couldn't target me without spotters, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I also think I got a bad random number generator on the results...seemed like they all suffered damage directly to their heads
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They came up with this thing in WWI called a 'helmet'... :P
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wow, haven't seen that yet. Are you playing on Normal difficulty?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

And they all were wearing one :) Going to restart anyway as I wanted to make some different decisions now that I understand the game more
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:47 pm
Wow, haven't seen that yet. Are you playing on Normal difficulty?
Yeah.... Whatever the default I've played tactical games before. It's the third time I've run into artillery... The other two times just messed up a few of my soldiers pretty bad. This time was a perfect shitstorm I guess
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

IceBear wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:50 pm It's the third time I've run into artillery... The other two times just messed up a few of my soldiers pretty bad. This time was a perfect shitstorm I guess
Wow, I've got in about twelve hours on this campaign and haven't seen any alien artillery. Still, it is good to know about it... :shock:

I've used the ability to add a second class to a soldier to add assault training to one with heavy training. I gave "Tiny" :wink: enough strength to carry both a cannon and an assault rifle in the ready slots.

I'm really appreciating the addition of Will Points to the tactical battle. For instance, the use of War Cry lets me hinder a nearby enemy's action points, which can be crucial in a close up fight.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Dear Fans, Backers, and Players,

We’re so excited to see so many of you playing Phoenix Point! The response to our launch has been overwhelming, and we’re absolutely thrilled to see the community discussing the game, streaming the game, and, most of all, playing the game in huge numbers!

We know that some of you are waiting for our release on Microsoft Xbox Game Pass for PC and the Microsoft Windows Store. We want to update you on the status of that.

The fact is we dropped the ball. We were exceedingly busy getting the game itself ready, and being inexperienced with Game Pass and the Microsoft Store, we simply had not properly prepared the groundwork to get the game released on time on these platforms. Compared to other platforms we’re on these platforms require a number of pre-requisites, from Microsoft certification to legal documentation review. While these are now mostly complete, they have given rise to a number of new delays.

Specifically, we are currently unable to make the same content available on Microsoft’s platform that is available to players on other platforms. Since we want to make sure all players have access to all versions of Phoenix Point regardless of where they choose to play, we need to get this working before we can release.

This issue was not anticipated by us and has caused unexpected delay over and above our delay waiting for certification. We had hoped to have Game Pass players, at least, up and running today, but it now seems like there will be further delays. We do not have an ETA for Phoenix Point on Game Pass or the Windows Store yet. Please know we are working as hard and as quickly as possible with our partners at Microsoft to resolve these issues and will keep you informed.

As always, thank you for supporting Phoenix Point, and we hope to see you on the battlefield soon!
Sounds like I get to finish my new WOTC campaign... and maybe start Long War of the Chosen too.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:56 pm Sounds like I get to finish my new WOTC campaign... and maybe start Long War of the Chosen too.
Isn't that like waaaaaaay longer than the original Long War?
"Some people say never...I just say no"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So at 17 hours I'm still having fun. I've found two other Phoenix bases, but like everything else it costs resources to get these online and fitted out and meantime I'm hiring soldiers, making grenades (lots of grenades!) and building new facilities at my original base. Meantime out on the Geoscape I'm trying to keep all the plates spinning, looking for resources, answering calls for help and exploring, a lot of exploring.

I now have two aircraft fully loaded up. My smaller with six slots is for my Scarab and three soldiers. I intend to use that to handle low intensity missions like gathering supplies and exploring. If I run into an ambush I just load the three soldiers in the tank and hold out till I can evacuate. The larger plane has seven soldiers and I use that to fight takeovers by Pandora of havens and clear out Pandora Nests. I just cleaned out a second one and this was nastier than the first. It's all caves and tunnels and fog of war limited to the view of the soldiers. In the first nest there was only one Hatching Sentinel (I think that's what they are called), which you have to destroy to end the mission. On the second mission there were two and way apart from each other. That second mission took most of two hours to play, since I tend to use creeping movement and a lot of overwatch. The game rewards good tactics and I'm really liking the nuances of the tactical gameplay.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:44 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:09 pm Take a look in the image below.
Thanks, I had a feeling I just wasn't seeing it.
Neither was I, honestly. Looking but not really seeing. "Oooo... colors and circles and bars" <pulls trigger>

Thanks JZ! :D
-mf
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:35 am
Sepiche wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:44 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:09 pm Take a look in the image below.
Thanks, I had a feeling I just wasn't seeing it.
Neither was I, honestly. Looking but not really seeing. "Oooo... colors and circles and bars" <pulls trigger>

Thanks JZ! :D
You're welcome! I'm always happy when I can contribute to the community :D

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has posted another useful article, Phoenix Point Base Management - what are the best buildings to construct in Phoenix bases?
Phoenix Point is just one of many Phoenix Project bases that you’ll bring back online over the course of your campaign to save humanity from the mutant-birthing Pandoravirus. And each of these bases must be carefully maintained and structured in order to give you the best chances of success. Our Phoenix Point Base Management guide will walk you through how base-building works in Phoenix Point, along with useful explanations of every single building in the game, and which are the best builds to prioritise for your bases.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Probably a good idea to give everyone a pistol. Had a soldier get a disabled arm which meant he could no longer fire his assault rifle as it needs two arms to use...just had him run around healing and throwing grenades but a pistol would have allowed him to take overwatch at least.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

IceBear wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:35 pm Probably a good idea to give everyone a pistol. Had a soldier get a disabled arm which meant he could no longer fire his assault rifle as it needs two arms to use...just had him run around healing and throwing grenades but a pistol would have allowed him to take overwatch at least.
Some classes aren’t proficient in pistols, so check for that.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:48 pm
IceBear wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:35 pm Probably a good idea to give everyone a pistol. Had a soldier get a disabled arm which meant he could no longer fire his assault rifle as it needs two arms to use...just had him run around healing and throwing grenades but a pistol would have allowed him to take overwatch at least.
Some classes aren’t proficient in pistols, so check for that.
I know, but better to have something that they can shoot poorly than nothing at all I figure. Will have to test that theory though.
docD

Post by docD »

Unless I have a specific use for a trooper, I make sure that everyone has proficiency in pistols. They are that useful.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

docD wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:51 pm Unless I have a specific use for a trooper, I make sure that everyone has proficiency in pistols. They are that useful.
Especially for shooting off headcrabs :D

Assault rifles not recommended for this :(
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I did it with a sniper rifle once...that could have gone VERY poorly
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I shot one off with an assault rifle on second mission I did but the shooter was very close and the targeting feature showed high probability of success
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I found out what happens when one of my soldiers is mind controlled. When this happened I half expected the controlled soldier to do something bad on the Pandoran turn, but nothing doing. However, when one of my soldiers in sight of the controlled soldier shot at a Pandoran, the controlled soldier shot at my guy. And this happened a couple times more. Not much damage was caused, no doubt due to being dazed affecting his aim.

However, when one of my soldiers fired at a Pandora and the soldier wasn't in sight of the controlled soldier, the latter actually tossed a grenade at my shooter! Didn't expect that.

So I got in a couple more hours tonight, but I'm beginning to get a bit overwhelmed. Last night by the time I was 17 hours in and going to bed I had found a second Phoenix base. In two more hours of playing I found two more! There appears to be only room on the base management screen for eight bases to be shown, but maybe that screen (see below) scrolls. So now I'm managing four bases, two aircraft and ten soldiers. After a mission where everyone loses stamina and some are injured, I need to bring them to a base with Living Quarters (for stamina) and a Medical Bay (for injuries). And you want at least one Training Facility so they can get experience points while at the base. I'm following the suggestion from the RPS article on base management which suggests that at least one base on each continent have two of each type of facility. I'm assuming that having two facilities of a type will double the effect. I've posted a question to their forum.

Also, anyone else getting this problem (below) with mismatch of local and cloud saves? I seem to be getting it every time I start the game since a couple of days ago.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just attacked another Pandoran nest, my third, and yup there were three of these there... Hatchling Sentinels. Must all be destroyed to destroy the nest.

So is it progressive? There are at least three most in my immediate area, so will I be facing six of these things at that point?
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Stupid question.

Once you move to your cover, how do you know what level of cover you have? I see the half/full cover indicator when selecting a tile, but I don't see it afterwards...or what level of cover the Pandorans have.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Buatha wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:58 am Stupid question.

Once you move to your cover, how do you know what level of cover you have? I see the half/full cover indicator when selecting a tile, but I don't see it afterwards...or what level of cover the Pandorans have.
You don't have cover in the way you did in XCOM. Those half/full cover symbols are estimates, just to give an idea what the cover is like in a particular square you might want to move to. The cover you get is actually based on the physical objects between the shooter and the target. It makes it important that you eyeball the lines of sight from potential shooters to a square you might want to move to.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just evacuated out of a Pandoran Lair clearing mission, first time I ever bailed out a mission. I had a guy with the Neurazer to capture an alien, but even though I ran up to a badly wounded one and zapped him, he died instead of being paralyzed. This is the second time this happened to me and I've posted to the Phoenix Point forum on this to try to get some pointers. And just to make it more annoying, my Neurazer guy got hit hard by a second, unseen alien.

And as that wasn't enough, another one of my guys got too close to a Fireworm egg and it hatched and the Fireworm headed towards my guy. Since he couldn't reach him, the Fireworm exploded in flames instead and my guy caught on fire. I used medikits to avoid him dying from loss of hit points but he lost the use of both arms, so he was nonfunctional as well. So I decided to evacuate.

In the mission previous to the one mentioned above, I raided a New Jericho haven to grab supplies. I got them, but it cost me a level 6 hybrid heavy/assaulter. It cost me more to replace him than I got and the guy I got was a level one newbie. So I guess I'll be staying away from raids.

I think I'm beginning to hit a wall after twenty hours. The strategic game is a scramble to keep getting resources at a rate at least as fast as I am spending them. It would be nice to consider getting another aircraft, but I don't have near enough resources to build one, which would be a Manticore anyway. And when I stole my Thunderbird it cost me two soldiers, and replacing two of them was really expensive.

The tactical game is fun, but it is getting repetitious. The maps are smaller than XCOM but they are big enough for the combat so far. However, there is little room for flanking movements, especially when you could run into the enemy in any direction to the front of your (usual) spawn corner. And I haven't run into any chirons which everyone tells me is going to cost me soldiers every mission. If that happens I'm going to be in real trouble.

Anyway, I'm leaving midweek for a few days and maybe that will be something that will clear my head about the game. Or maybe I just need to start a new campaign on Easy... :roll:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I was reading the article posted above on capturing (I don't have the game itself yet), and they stated that the Neurazer does do a small amount of damage as well. So it's probably not a good idea to try using it on badly wounded enemies.
and you’ll have to be sure you don’t accidentally kill the enemy you want to capture

Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've researched and found several articles and pretty much they say the same thing; to equip the Neurazer (I keep wanting to say nebulizer :roll:) to a solider with the Dash ability. Then use Dash without using any impulses to get next to a relatively undamaged target so you can fire the Neurazer four times. Sounds dicey :?

Found another article which might help folks, or at least me: Phoenix Point enemies - how to deal with the Siren, Chiron, Scylla, and more
The Phoenix Point enemies are a colourful bunch of mutants. Each one is a patchwork of arthropod, annelid, human, and alien DNA all rolled into one by the Pandoravirus; and each enemy has different strengths and presents different threats – some far more than others.

In this Phoenix Point enemies guide we’ll walk you through each Pandoran enemy in turn, along with detailed sections on how to counter the Siren, Terror Sentinel, Chiron, and Scylla – four enemies that seem to be giving players a great deal of trouble.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New update:
We have just deployed a hotfix patch for Phoenix Point taking it to version 1.0.54580

Patch Notes:

Fixed a crash that occurs when launching the game with certain locales.
Fixed an issue with invalid targeting when behind cover.
Fixed various sound issues.

The main purpose of this hotfix was to resolve the crash at launch issue.

We have a larger patch on the way later this week to address some of the other issues. We will continue to identify and work through the reported issues and release patches as soon as they’ve been resolved.

We ask if anyone encounters bugs in-game to please report them with the F12 tool - as this sends important game-state data directly to our QA team and allows us to more easily identify the issues.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Had my first mission versus Chirons... thankfully all three were Goo Chirons. Really, rather pointless for the bad guys since one of my heavies has jets :D

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Phoenix Point DLC & Roadmap - Blood and Titanium, Legacy of the Ancients, and Festering Skies explored
Phoenix Point DLC will be an exciting prospect for many, whether you love the game already or think (as many players do) that improvements are needed before it can realise its full potential. Our Phoenix Point DLC guide will explore Snapshot Games’s roadmap for this ambitious turn-based tactics game over the next year, with details on the first three major expansions: Blood and Titanium, Legacy of the Ancients, and Festering Skies.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I have a feeling the game will flesh out over time and this will be like Enemy Unknown was compared to the eventual Enemy Within product.

Or, at least, I hope so.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I decided not to quit and instead played a Pandoran Lair mission... twice. The first time everything went pear shaped right away, two dead and two mind controlled, so I decided to reload a pre-mission save and go back and swap out a rookie I had brought for a veteran. So I went in with six real veterans and a level 2 priest who can do mind control.

I played for almost two hours, being really careful to not move too far without setting up overwatch fields and nailing the aliens with my two dedicated snipers and my hybrid sniper/assault guy. I eventually took down two sirens, losing just the priest who ended up mind-controlled and was killed by an alien before I could get the siren. There was also a chiron, happily not the explosive kind, just the acid worm type :roll:. I would end up with three worms in my area, which I would dispatch with one sniper who had a good pistol. In the meantime the other two snipers slowly chewed up the chiron till it died. Then I found a terror sentinel, which when alerted sends out a scream each turn that removes 10 will points from each of my soldiers - had I been dumb enough to let them get that close :wink:. Instead I used my snipers again to grind down the sentinel and finally it was dead too.

During this time I had various less horrible aliens rushing me but with lots over overwatch I dealt with them. Eventually it seemed I had killed off all of them, so now it was time to move forward to find and destroy the spawnery, whatever that is. Well, I moved forward for about three turns, climbed up a level, and discovered there was yet another wave of enemies waiting for me... nine in fact:

I was down to the last magazine on most of my guys, most of my grenades are gone and since I didn't have any idea as to where the damn spawnery was, I decided to just stop playing for now, since I have to go out of town anyway for a few days. I really have no idea how to beat this damn mission. I'm playing on Regular difficulty and I played pretty well, losing only the one guy and having all the rest reasonably healthy with all limbs intact. And yet this seems to be an unwinnable mission.

Does anyone have advice on how to beat this mission type?
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:39 am [Hell]

"Alway carry as much ammo as possible on lair missions, even if your soldiers become a bit over burdened . Simply because the number of enemies means you will absolutely run out of ammo otherwise."