Link's Awakening

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

msduncan

Link's Awakening

Post by msduncan »

Comes out tomorrow.

Admission: I never played the original. It's getting good reviews, but it's hovering in the upper 80s. The main complaint seems to be that it doesn't bring anything new (duh! it's a remastered very old game).

So having never played Awakening -- I'm going to guess this is probably a must-play for me?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Lordnine

Re: Link's Awakening

Post by Lordnine »

I'm in for sure. I never played the original and I love 2D Zelda (er, I guess top down Zelda would be more appropriate here).
JCC

Post by JCC »

So I was in no hurry to get this but found myself picking it up at lunch today. I played the GBC version years after the fact but never finished it. Don't have any real memory of it, other than frustrated at the 2 button setup as was the case with the Oracle games.

I played through the first dungeon this evening. The game looks awesome. When I saw the first trailer and the "Rudolph" art style, I wasn't sure about it - but it's PERFECT. The game benefits greatly from having a modern controller (more buttons). I wish they had just dedicated a jump button instead of requiring the feather to be mapped to one of the 2 swappable slots - this basically leaves you with 1 swappable button since I can't see unequipping the jump - unless, the constant jumping needed early on abates later.

But anyway, the game looks and plays great. BUT, the framerate is definitely annoying. It doesn't impact the controls or ruin the gameplay, but it's distracting for sure. In the overworld, the framerate noticeably dips at times (apparently it's when loading stuff). I am pretty surprised at this for a Nintendo first party game. I certainly hope they can maybe patch this to smooth it out some. I have read the best way to play is via digital download directly to the built in memory. Alas, not an option for me since I bought a cartridge.

Anyway, my bitching about the framerate aside - I highly recommend it based on my experience so far.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised by the framerate issues as well, but I'm just loving the game other than that. Also looks like this will be my inaugural Zelda game for my daughter. She's had fun spectating me playing Breath of the Wild and a few other older Zeldas in the past, but the art style of this one finally pushed her over the edge for wanting to try it for herself.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They really should have gone with a different name. I saw this thread name and thought it was about fan made erotic fiction for the video game.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:36 am They really should have gone with a different name. I saw this thread name and thought it was about fan made erotic fiction for the video game.
50 Shades of Green.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:36 am They really should have gone with a different name. I saw this thread name and thought it was about fan made erotic fiction for the video game.
You think that about every game title, though.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The "Surge" series

Diablo III The "Rise" of the Necromancer

"Pac" Man

"Madden" Football

You gotta admit, I'm usually right!
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Does it count if you're the one writing all the erotic fiction, though?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Which is the perfect segue for me to announce my latest work, "Super Mario Bros: The Pool Boy Incident".
Covfefe!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:28 pm
You think that about every game title, though.
Apex Legends
Pokemon Sword
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night... :hand: