GreedFall- 17th century fantasy RPG

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: GreedFall- 17th century fantasy RPG

Post by Jaymann »

Just downloading this now. Any advice/warnings?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am really enjoying this, it checks all the boxes for me:

Exploring
Loot
Enough side quests, but not overwhelming
Decent companions

I am a level 16 fighter now, but have been hoarding all my points. I would say definitely take at least 1 in Charisma, then get a cape with +1 ASAP. This gives you a 75% chance of success on most dialogues. I hate to miss out on chests, but so far have only seen one with good loot. I have 2 talent points in reserve, so if I come upon a +3 lockpick chest, I save then put 2 points in lockpick in order to examine the contents. So far I have seen nothing that makes me want to spend the points. And the loot remains static after repeated loads.

I also love upgrading my equipment, especially since the blacksmith sells components you are lacking for relatively cheap. I also like how you start out as nobility with some clout instead of a gutter snipe.

I plan on exploring every square inch of the map which should put me over 100 hours.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

So I picked this up last month and have just gotten around to starting it.
Holy cripes.....it's hard. Lots of exploring and quests.
The battles you're given off the bat are not easy.
Lots of ways to play. I've rerolled a couple of times trying to find a good balance.
No bugs so far.
Scratching the rpg itch, for sure.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I got to the 25 hour mark in this one and quit. The game was just way to bland for me. I literally felt like I was doing the same things over and over again.
FTE
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The combat is ridiculously easy except for the occasional boss fight. Most of my time is spent running from point to point talking to NPCs. A typical quest is traveling to 10 different points to talk to NPCs and watch dialogue cut scenes. Level progression doesn't seem fast enough - it seems to take eons to get points to unlock a new attribute or trait. I'm not particularly captivated by the story, and all the towns look the same.

Yet I can't.....stop.... playing. :D
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Unless I'm seriously uninformed there don't seem to be a lot of third person RPGs coming out these days, so this one's definitely on my radar. Not at £43 though; I'll wait for a sale.

And I still have Kingdom Come: Deliverance waiting for me, completely untouched. :roll:
I no longer post here.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

So after multiple tries and reloads, I finally kill one of the creatures necessary to move a plot branch along.
And what's my reward for this epic battle? 5 gold coins...….. :doh:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Well, this recently came to PS Now so my lady started playing it. Happily, at the same time the PC version went on sale and I had a balance in Paypal so I snapped it up. We're now racing to see who finishes the game first. :D

There are some pros and cons to this game so I don't entirely know what to think of it yet. The graphics are pretty good and even the starting town looks lovely despite being a collection of brown buildings. The voice acting is uneven but when it's good, it's good - although the lip-syncing is so laughably bad it's as if they didn't even try to make it work, which is unfortunately jarring.

I really like how combat works. It's actually kind of reminiscent of Bloodborne in how you will blast someone with a gun then close in to finish off with melee. I haven't had to use the tactical pause yet but I'm sure that will come later when my party grows.

I'm almost done with the first town. It took me 2 hours on PC and my lady 4 on PS4. It's pretty much an extended tutorial but I'm fed up with it now and eager to start the proper game. I'm hoping that things really open up when I get to the next location because some things have really been bothering me. The game goes to great lengths to explain how every quest can be solved in multiple ways but so far that has absolutely not been the case for me.

As an example, an early quest required me to get inside a building where I wasn't allowed. I couldn't disguise myself as the other faction because, even though I had the uniform, I needed endurance 2 - I don't even have endurance 1 yet, despite levelling up several times. Another alternative was to make a sleeping potion - but again, I didn't have the required skill to make potions. So I was left with the bog-standard kill everyone in sight and just stroll in. :roll:

I really felt punished for not taking lockpicking as my initial skill. I took charisma and only got to use it once, whereas I've come across at least a dozen chests I could've opened with lockpicking 1.

Also, the game has been very much on rails so far. It's true that I always had the choice between several different quests, but they're all packed into the same small area and they all mostly involve just running between NPCs for a quick chat. I definitely haven't felt free, and there's been no reason or opportunity to explore.

I suspect - and hope - that some of these issues will fall away when I get to the next location and start the game proper. If so I think the game could be a real winner, truly.
I no longer post here.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Well, for anyone who cares I made it to the next location, only to discover yet more brown and yet another tiny map with just a handful of NPCs to talk to. Fuck me. This game had better open wide up soon or I'm just not going to bother. I've also been facing a relentless onslaught of "look what you could have done if you'd chosen the 'right' skills" situations. I just have to charge in everywhere, I never have a choice. There was one mission where I was taught how to use stealth, but the setup had four guards all facing each other - so as soon as I stealth killed one, the rest just rushed me. What was the point of that?

The game absolutely reeks of a AA studio trying to make a AAA game. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't so glaringly obvious where the cracks are being papered over. I'll give it one more session, which will be make-or-break.

Edit: I forgot one thing that really pissed me off. On top of the "lol your skills suck" issue, I finally sorted through my inventory and found some nice-sounding potions. I couldn't even use those because I don't have the science skill. A skill requirement to drink a potion. Fuck off.
I no longer post here.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I kind of cheated and looked up character builds before I started, so I never really ran into the "your skills are no good" thing. However, I've taken a break after getting REALLY frustrated at the world design. I spent a half hour trying to reach a waypoint the other day only to get blocked by artificial obstacles and just kept running around in circles. It's the illusion of an open world while boxing you in that frustrates me the most. I'd rather they just box you in all the way and make it glaringly obvious how to reach your goal.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Scraper wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:26 am I got to the 25 hour mark in this one and quit. The game was just way to bland for me. I literally felt like I was doing the same things over and over again.
I stand by this post. This comming from someone who loves action style RPGs.
FTE
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Finished it a few days ago, but man.....what a slog it turned out to be.
Literally back and forth an untold amount of times.
Potential was there, but it became a chore to wrap things up.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:16 am I spent a half hour trying to reach a waypoint the other day only to get blocked by artificial obstacles and just kept running around in circles. It's the illusion of an open world while boxing you in that frustrates me the most.
See, this is exactly what I was afraid of after seeing how the first town plays out. I'll still have the afore-threatened one more session, but if it's that bad, this game's getting canned. I'm really glad I didn't pay the absurd £43 standard asking price.
I no longer post here.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I really like portions of this game but I'm also throwing in the towel.

The setting is refreshing. Many of the characters are pretty good even if they are also fairly shallow. Combat and character building is fine although not exciting. I might even be able to deal with the traveling back and forth if I didn't feel I was simply moving from set piece to set piece watching a story unfold without any meaningful input. At level 19 all of my choices have been clear cut - either do the right thing or be a dick for no reason and no particular gain. To be fair there are also a few places where I could have been forced to take a more physical approach to solve some problems if I didn't have diplomatic skills and suffered a relationship penalty which might have an effect at the end but doesn't seem to have any result so far.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Free on PS+ this month.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm giving up on my playthrough but I enjoyed my time with the game. At some other points in my life I would have considered the limited choices in the story as not that big a deal. Certainly worth picking up for free if you are looking for a different rpg setting.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:02 pm Combat and character building is fine although not exciting.
That's the kindest thing I have to say about it, too. Quite a wasted opportunity, this game was. A shame.
I no longer post here.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

While I initially hated it I ended up liking the split between attributes, talents, and skills (I hope I have the names right). It wasn't perfect but it did turn out to be a system that had me weighting my options each time I had a point to spend which isn't bad.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I just started playing this, kind of scratches the 3D RPG itch I got from playing Cyberpunk. I like that it reminds me somewhat of the first Dragon Age. Not sure how far I'll get in it given what I just read from you guys here, but thus far I've enjoyed the atmosphere and much of the way the game is laid out makes it feel like there is a lot of potential. The one thing I'd say is off is (at least in the early phase) you can go all over working a side quest but the xp rewards are little to nothing. And then you kill a couple of random bad guys and suddenly you level, it's kind of an odd balance, particularly in the early part of the game.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm glad we didn't scare you off. It is fairly decent and in the right frame of mind it could even be considered good although padded with running back and forth. Even my objection about agency and the fact that most of the choices are pretty one sided isn't really a huge negative as most RPGs seem to be moving that direction due to the cost to produce really divergent stories.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

For whatever reason I started playing this last night. I downloaded it when it was free on PS+ but never bothered to start it up. I am playing as a technologist which is maybe why I have not encountered some of the problems others have mentioned but so far I am quite enjoying it. The games it is reminding me most of is the Gothic games, both in gameplay but also as it has some noticeable jankiness. I don't really mind the later as long as it keeps doing enough cool things to make up for it.

So far lockpicking has been useful but most of the quests that make use of it I've also just stumbled upon the keys anyways which makes it seem a bit redundant. Stealth seems really easy, not in the stealth kill sense but in the fact that most of the time you can just sneak past people in stealth and go on with the quest. I suspect this might just be because I have only made it through the starting area so far. I do really love the way the pistols feel. While it is only a one click to shoot, they do a satisfying amount of damage. I killed the first "boss" monster almost entirely by shooting it.

It's been a long time since I've used my PS4 to play an actual game but I intend to stick with this one for a while and see where it goes.