MS Flight Simulator 2020

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

malchior

Re: MS Flight Simulator 2020

Post by malchior »

I had mentioned earlier that I thought there was a bug with reverse thrusters crashing the plane. Nope - it is a bug some people have started complaining about that fills the runway with what might be rendering errors. They'll look like 'cracks'. If the runway looks like that...it is impossible to land on it. It's broken. Sometimes they'll bounce you 100 ft into the error. Sometimes you'll flip face forward into the concrete. Since I became aware of it I've managed it by applying TOGA when they appear (only appear when you are ~200-300 ft. from touchdown) and going around. Usually this fixed it for me.

But today I hit max absurdity with this pile of shit. Coming into KMSP on 30L. Cracks appear about 100 Ft. TOGA. Line up again on 30L still bad. TOGA. 30R. Broken. TOGA. 35. Broken. TOGA. Let's try 7 for kicks. Broken. Fuck it. I'm done. Land it. Plane flips onto nose. Fucking hell. This thing has the dumbest bugs ever. When it's good this thing is great but when its bad it is aggravating bad.

Thread on this bug on the MSFS forum.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yeah, I've worked so many workarounds into my normal play that I can't even remember a lot of the bugs that remain. Using the A320NX mod alleviates a lot of issues and makes the game fun again, but the CTDs remain. I can't remember the last time I completed a flight in the 747, which pisses me off because it's my favourite in the game.

Besides the CTDs, it's death by a thousand cuts really. There are little issues with practically everything. Just off the top of my head:
  • ATC handing me off to other controllers three times in as many minutes
  • flight director giving completely wrong pitch attitudes
  • loss of elevator control when disconnecting autopilot
  • aircraft becomes really unstable on approach
  • autopilot sometimes ignoring STARs
  • almost impossible to enter flight plans by hand on the main menu
...and so on. The problem is, this is the best we've got. It's going to be at least a year before the payware airliners are released and the game is patched to a good state. Oh well. It's playable...some of the time.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:29 pm [*]autopilot sometimes ignoring STARs
This kills me but I have a stable workaround. Now that Navigraph charts are working well I just put the overlay up and switch over to manual headings and just fly the star when it happens. I'd say 25% of the time.
[*]almost impossible to enter flight plans by hand on the main menu
This actually works better with the Navigraph data fwiw.
Isgrimnur

MS Flight Simulator 2020

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Sometimes they'll bounce you 100 ft into the error.

:lol:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:49 pm
malchior wrote: Sometimes they'll bounce you 100 ft into the error.

:lol:
Holy malfunction. Need to QA my quick typos.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:54 pm Take off from Morristown airport and find my car in the parking lot of the army installation I work at? Check. Fly over my neighborhood? Check. Fly around interesting places in the world? Check.
You must work up at Picatinny then? I actually interviewed up there quite some time ago (early 2000s). I ended up taking a different job in the same industry; I'm still there.

I also live right down the highway from Morristown MMU. One of the first flights I took in MSFS 2020 was from MMU to Teterboro, passing over both my house and my worksite on the same flight. :D

From there I've started a cross-country tour in small hops, since I usually only have an hour or so to fly on any given night. I've worked my way westward through PA to Pittsburgh, then along the Ohio River through WV, Ohio, and Kentucky, up through Indiana & Illinois to the Mississippi river then north to Minneapolis.
Conform or be cast out!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I’m probably not supposed to answer that, but it is the nearest base to Morristown that will have my car in the parking lot. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hrdina wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:51 pmI also live right down the highway from Morristown MMU. One of the first flights I took in MSFS 2020 was from MMU to Teterboro, passing over both my house and my worksite on the same flight. :D
I usually fly out of KTEB or sometimes KSMQ (Somerville) or 3N6 (Old Bridge). MMU is great for jets. It always feels silly to fly a DA40 or Cessna out of there. :)
From there I've started a cross-country tour in small hops, since I usually only have an hour or so to fly on any given night. I've worked my way westward through PA to Pittsburgh, then along the Ohio River through WV, Ohio, and Kentucky, up through Indiana & Illinois to the Mississippi river then north to Minneapolis.
I am about to do that. I've been focused on virtual airline in the A320 but I've been playing with GA now that there are less crashes. I was suffering far more CTDs with GA than jet airplanes since 1.8.5.0. I think it had something to do with the rolling cache loading detailed maps. That is getting more stable now.

Edit: In a sign how crazy I've been getting in my pandemic mancave. I'm making sure I'm flying into airports where I know they sell the gas the plane uses. :)

That said, I finally got an order in for the Thrustmaster TFRP system at a reasonable price. I'll have it Thursday. That will change the 'game' in a big way. Braking with one button and twist rudder has been less than ideal.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

malchior wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:10 pmI usually fly out of KTEB or sometimes KSMQ (Somerville) or 3N6 (Old Bridge). MMU is great for jets. It always feels silly to fly a DA40 or Cessna out of there. :)
Back when we used to be able to go out for lunch, I used to take my kids to eat at a couple of different places on Columbia Turnpike, which runs right past the end of Runway 5 at MMU. I also flew out of MMU once on my company's bizjet. We were able to see out the front of the aircraft during the flight, which was pretty cool given the steep angle the pilot took at times. :D

I've been to SMQ in person, although for small airports in this area I prefer Solberg (N51) or Sky Manor (N40).
malchior wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:10 pmI am about to do that. I've been focused on virtual airline in the A320 but I've been playing with GA now that there are less crashes. I was suffering far more CTDs with GA than jet airplanes since 1.8.5.0. I think it had something to do with the rolling cache loading detailed maps. That is getting more stable now.
I've had a few CTD problems, but not much lately (knock wood). I think the DA62 is the largest aircraft I've flown so far.
malchior wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:10 pmThat said, I finally got an order in for the Thrustmaster TFRP system at a reasonable price. I'll have it Thursday. That will change the 'game' in a big way. Braking with one button and twist rudder has been less than ideal.
Nice, from what I've heard you're lucky to get a set that quickly.

I've been using my very old CH Products stuff, which works (mostly). The toe brakes on the rudder pedals don't work, and I'm too lazy/worried to open the thing up to try to fix them, so just use a pair of buttons on my yoke for L/R brakes. I've never liked the idea of twist rudders. I'll probably upgrade my PC before I drop more cash on new HOTAS gear, although seeing the fancy TM pendular pedals that some FS youtubers received made me think dangerous thoughts. :D
Conform or be cast out!
malchior

Post by malchior »

8 GB update released today. Let's see how much damage it does!

Well the A32NX mode is in bad shape after the update - this is expected since Asobo basically just smashes everything on updates. In good news though the Head of Flight Sim at MS Jorg Neumann asked FlyByWire to email them during the monthly product Twitch stream. They are really impressed with the work they are doing. Hopefully they'll figure out a way to coordinate in the future so that the mandatory patch doesn't make the plane un-fucking-usable every single time.
Known bugs:

MCDU not working
PFD not working
upper ECAM
switches animation missing when clicking
Radio Panel
ADIRS Not open
APU Start
Edit: Custom liveries are trashed. They really need to make patching optional until they get their shit together.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yeah the A32NX is totally fucked, haha. I'm sure it'll be working by this time tomorrow. But for tonight's flight it looks like I'm going to have to use the....stock 747! :shock:

In other news, I finally managed to download the patch on the first attempt. I had to download a trial copy of a program called NetLimiter which allows per-application bandwidth throttling. Yes you read that correctly - I have to deliberately throttle MSFS bandwidth in order to patch it. Only Microsoft... :roll:
I no longer post here.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:47 pm But for tonight's flight it looks like I'm going to have to use the....stock 747! :shock:
...and it took all of ten minutes to realise how absolutely broken the 747 still is. I was simply trying to ascend to FL210, that's all. The autopilot just couldn't do it. After reaching around FL160 it just lost it, and couldn't continue to ascend. I used all possible combinations of VS and FL CHG and nothing worked, it didn't even come close to a positive rate of climb. Unbelievable.

In better news, apparently the FlyByWire team have fixed virtually all of the issues today's patch introduced to the A320NX already. I reckon the next dev build will be released within the next couple of hours.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:51 pm
Paradroid wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:47 pm But for tonight's flight it looks like I'm going to have to use the....stock 747! :shock:
...and it took all of ten minutes to realise how absolutely broken the 747 still is. I was simply trying to ascend to FL210, that's all. The autopilot just couldn't do it. After reaching around FL160 it just lost it, and couldn't continue to ascend. I used all possible combinations of VS and FL CHG and nothing worked, it didn't even come close to a positive rate of climb. Unbelievable.

In better news, apparently the FlyByWire team have fixed virtually all of the issues today's patch introduced to the A320NX already. I reckon the next dev build will be released within the next couple of hours.
I've been monitoring the Discord chatter. They haven't outright said it but my impression is that under the covers is an absolute mess. The Asobo team just keeps changing basic things like folder structures and manifest locations. My interpretation of that is that there is no way a stable SDK is around the corner for payware.

I am flying now in a DA62 - I am curious if they have fixed the dumbest bug...the ATC speech synthesis says 'OH-EN-EE' for One sometimes. For awhile, I thought I was having a stroke until I googled it. Apparently, this was a bug in Alpha that came back in 1.8.5.0 or so. I don't think I've seen software development this haphazard in a live game before. I guess this was what living through the launch of Fallout 76 was like. :)
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

malchior wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:22 pmI am flying now in a DA62 - I am curious if they have fixed the dumbest bug...the ATC speech synthesis says 'OH-EN-EE' for One sometimes. For awhile, I thought I was having a stroke until I googled it. Apparently, this was a bug in Alpha that came back in 1.8.5.0 or so.
That O-N-E bug has been driving me nuts for the past couple of weeks. I flew last night, but honestly don't remember whether it was fixed. Either it wasn't, or I'm just getting desensitized to it!

After the previous patch, I noticed that I would hear ATC callouts to NPC aircraft with multiple copies, and the NPC would respond multiple times, with different voices. Eventually I few close enough to once of the NPC aircraft to see that it seemed to have three sets of nav lights, all close together.
malchior wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:22 pmI don't think I've seen software development this haphazard in a live game before. I guess this was what living through the launch of Fallout 76 was like. :)
Sometimes Elite Dangerous will get a patch that will undo a fix from a previous patch, but MSFS seems to have elevated that to an art form.
Conform or be cast out!
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yeah they still say O-N-E instead of one. So irritating. Also my pilot tends to spell out his callsign too. So instead of saying Skyways 182 he calls himself S-K-Y-W-A-Y-S 182. :roll:

In related news, ATC has got so bad at directing my descents - along with various other annoyances - that I just don't use it any more. As soon as I've been pushed back I just tune ATC out and enjoy a silent flight. I rely on actual charts instead.

I've recently started my training to be a controller on VATSIM, so I think I'll start flying on there too so that I can have ATC guide my flights again.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I've given up on ATC unless there are no hills around. They simply will descent you into hills/mountains like the terrain is supposed to be flat.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Paradroid wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:00 pm Yeah they still say O-N-E instead of one. So irritating. Also my pilot tends to spell out his callsign too. So instead of saying Skyways 182 he calls himself S-K-Y-W-A-Y-S 182. :roll:
That one might just be because Skyways isn't in their "dictionary"? My flight is reliably called "Chief Niner".
Conform or be cast out!
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Hrdina wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:56 pm
Paradroid wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:00 pm Yeah they still say O-N-E instead of one. So irritating. Also my pilot tends to spell out his callsign too. So instead of saying Skyways 182 he calls himself S-K-Y-W-A-Y-S 182. :roll:
That one might just be because Skyways isn't in their "dictionary"? My flight is reliably called "Chief Niner".
ATC manage to say it - it's just my pilot who spells it out.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I tried a IFR with ATC from Boise to Seattle. Coming down into Seattle area now I got 1-5 *fifteen* different altitude commands in about 2 minutes. I cancelled the IFR. That's it. I can't with it but won't VATSIM until someone adds Hold to the Autopilots. There are some really frustrating components to this still even when it works mostly right -- and mostly due to 3rd party mods.

Edit: With glorious proof of broken!

Enlarge Image
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:18 am I can't with it but won't VATSIM until someone adds Hold to the Autopilots.
Oh shit, I forgot we can't enter holds yet. Oh well, there goes that idea. I suppose a decent VATSIM controller would notice if we were holding manually...
I no longer post here.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Navigraph flight plans can now be exported to MSFS!

Although personally I doubt I'll use it much because manually programming my plan gives me something to do while I wait for IRS to align. :D
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:33 pm Navigraph flight plans can now be exported to MSFS!

Although personally I doubt I'll use it much because manually programming my plan gives me something to do while I wait for IRS to align. :D
I tried this a few times and then gave up on it. It forces you onto the runway and that messes up with self-loading cargo. I'll say the A320NX team plus the Navigraph integration made this mostly usable. I'm still having hard crashes. This is the only game that somehow manages to reboot my PC. I was worried I had issues and then ran a synthetic stress test on it with full CPU/GPU load and it's stable. MSFS uses some OS hook that sometimes goes wrong is my guess. It happens only once in awhile so I'll deal with it.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Ah, thanks for the warning. Funnily enough I was about to use a Navigraph flight plan for the first time in a group flight in about an hour from now. :D

I haven't had any crashes for a while now, now that I think about it. ATC continues to be completely fucked though.

This group flight I'm about to do will be in Cessna Grand Caravans, and we're landing at Lukla. Wish me luck! :shock:
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The big US Update dropped today. I'm currently loading it. It weighs in at about 12-13 GB. :shock:

As with all updates, I'm hoping they didn't break all the planes again. Luckily the Fly By Wire team for the A320neo is huge and usually fixes patch trouble quickly. Waiting for the Twitch stream and more importantly my new PC to arrive...well tomorrow instead of today but I'm thinking 40-50 FPS at 4K Ultra. Really psyched to get that fired up.

Note: BTW in the most Microsoft thing ever. You have to "Buy" the World Update II: USA for Free and it is another 4 GB download on top. I forgot about this from Japan.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:07 pm Note: BTW in the most Microsoft thing ever. You have to "Buy" the World Update II: USA for Free and it is another 4 GB download on top. I forgot about this from Japan.
Yeah, it's like they're trying to make the whole thing as painful as possible. I have enough trouble just installing the patches. I didn't "buy" the Japan update and I won't the US update either. It all looks the same from FL380 anyway. :D
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I like them personally. The discovery flights are a good mindless flight - the US one is not as good as the Japan one though. They made some odd choices about the venue for the US flight. You start off in Newburgh, NY since they made Stewart a bespoke airport. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's sort of fun personally because I have an investment in a brew pub about 10 minutes from there so I drive by it fairly often. However, it really is kind of a very weird choice. They have you turn south to go down the Hudson to a *oddly not improved George Washington Bridge and Tappan Zee* to fly by NY and an upgraded Statue of Liberty. Then you turn towards the mouth of the Raritan River before turning towards Trenton, NJ -> PHL -> BWI -> DCA. It would have been better to start in Boston but whatever.

That said the DFW and ATL airports are worth the download alone. Very well done as far as I can tell. I'm waiting until the new rig shows up...tomorrow...it got delayed a day before I go crazy with mods. I've been hawking a lot of freeware scenery but figured it wasn't worth diving into right before I did a big migration.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Finally got back to the A320 and the update completely hosed it again. The vanilla stock AP won't turn right and will just fly straight instead if a right turn is required meaning the plane is completely broken. I've been monitoring the Fly By Wire guys and they can't even figure out what happened. It is a total shit show. Asobo's QA is pure garbage. There is no chance anyone tried the plane before they pushed the release. They desperately need a BETA branch with *optional updates*. It has been stable for a month but every couple of patches they break it completely and hope that FBW does free development to fix it. It desperately needs payware but apparently several of the payware developers are saying that Asobo is can't get their act together on a SDK. Which isn't shocking considering the state of the product. It really looks like it was release at least 6 months too early.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Oh FFS really? I was going to fly tonight, thinking that 24 hours was easily enough time for FBW to fix the usual problems. Asobo are really pissing me off.
malchior wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:44 pm There is no chance anyone tried the plane before they pushed the release.
Yep. They never, ever do. It's utterly indefensible. I don't care what excuses anyone makes, the fact is they didn't have to push the patch yesterday, and if they'd just taken the time to try ONE FLIGHT in the A320 they'd realise they shouldn't push the patch at all. This is absolutely infuriating.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Some people are saying the AP is fine if you do a runway start and it is the cold/dark starts broken. *Sigh*. Can they just fund FBW and get it over with? They are the A320nx QA team for Asobo after all.

Edit: Someone found what looks like a decent workaround for now - don't enter the Init B page parameters. Bizzare. Doing a flight now to see if that works.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:09 pm Edit: Someone found what looks like a decent workaround for now - don't enter the Init B page parameters. Bizzare. Doing a flight now to see if that works.
So you won't get proper takeoff config info then? Oh well, it's not like MSFS is the highest fidelity simulation anyway...
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yep - FWIW it worked. However, the AP swaying back and forth is back. Had to switch off ELAC 2, SEC 2 and 3 to stop that. Everything else worked as normal. It's usable until FBW fixes it for free.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I got my new rig last night i9-10900 w/ 3080 and what I considered acceptable before was dreadful in comparison. And that was a 2080! Anyway, talk about night and day. Unfortunately, the FBW still haven't been able to work out the AP issues, and the workaround I detailed only seems to work occasionally. It sounds like Asobo really busted up the A320nx. :roll:

I'll probably stick to GA until the airliner issues get matured a bit. I did a flight from near my home up to NYC and cruised up broadway at 50 feet at 150 Kts and it felt incredibly smooth. I also loaded up a Los Angeles terrain upgrade and flew around there and it looked magnificent. San Francisco will be a little later.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:33 pm I got my new rig last night i9-10900 w/ 3080 and what I considered acceptable before was dreadful in comparison. And that was a 2080! Anyway, talk about night and day. Unfortunately, the FBW still haven't been able to work out the AP issues, and the workaround I detailed only seems to work occasionally. It sounds like Asobo really busted up the A320nx. :roll:

I'll probably stick to GA until the airliner issues get matured a bit. I did a flight from near my home up to NYC and cruised up broadway at 50 feet at 150 Kts and it felt incredibly smooth. I also loaded up a Los Angeles terrain upgrade and flew around there and it looked magnificent. San Francisco will be a little later.
"Confirmed" workaround per FBW:

Workaround:
1. Spawn Cold and Dark
2. when loaded in hit "esc" then "save" and name flight.
3. Immediately hit "load" and select flight.
4. It will reload then proceed as normal flight
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:28 pm "Confirmed" workaround per FBW:

Workaround:
1. Spawn Cold and Dark
I'm betting that has less to do with saving and reloading than it does with forcing something to reinitialise and work which didn't the first time.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:36 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:28 pm "Confirmed" workaround per FBW:

Workaround:
1. Spawn Cold and Dark
I'm betting that has less to do with saving and reloading than it does with forcing something to reinitialise and work which didn't the first time.
Looks that way. They got there because Runway Starts were always working. The consensus is that if Asobo does any QA at all...they just drop a A320 on the runway and take off and check it off. Even though that is not the use case for 99% of the people who'd use the damn thing.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

This will be a great game when it leaves alpha.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Got a little bit of a field report on my new computer. My previous rig was a i7-7700k with a 2080 w/ 32 GB mem. That rig still managed to play a lot of modern games in 4K at High to Ultra settings. For FS, I had to turn the render down to 50%, High, Object/Terrain LOD to 100 to get "ok" performance.

I just fired up a i9-10900kf with a 3080 w/ 32 GB mem and talk about a world of difference. I'm running at 4K/Ultra/100% render, and Object/Terrain at 200 and it made me realize that my "ok" performance was way more towards bad on the edge between ok and bad. I haven't pulled FPS yet but I'm guessing it is in the 50s where before it was high 20s to low 30s. Flying a bit of GA to try it out.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I tend to hover around 30fps and honestly, I'm fine with that. For flight sims I'm OK with anything in the 20s and above provided it's consistent, which it is. I can play most of my other games on ultra.

How much RAM does the game use on your PC?
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Just looked - 16 GB! What's more interesting to me is that on the i7700 it was definitely CPU bottlenecked. The 2080 would be running at 60-70% but it'd be as described. The 10900 is sitting at like 20% overall and the GPU isn't even maxed. I had set a 60 FPS limiter and I'm hitting it with comfortable room to spare. I might end up going and manually cranking up the LODs in the configs and see how much headroom I have.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yeah give it a try, no point spending the big bucks if you aren't going to make use of it all!
I no longer post here.