MS Flight Simulator 2020

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: MS Flight Simulator 2020

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now I want NTSB Simulator.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Heh. If there's an NTSB in MSFS they must be offering a lot of overtime!
I no longer post here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Polygon , Sept 3

Enlarge Image

But I want the numbers on the less-positive events.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Another bug that gets on my tits. If you do a proper shutdown instead of just quitting when you get the end flight screen, the game counts it as another flight. So every other flight in my logbook is 2-3 minutes with no takeoff or landing. It really spoils it.
I no longer post here.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Any discounts coming up for it?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Not likely for awhile - it just launched.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Major patch just dropped - 15 GB

They claim fixes for some of the issues we've been talking about - wind being a big one - I've been crashing about 25% to desktop on approaches into CPU-intensive airports so hopefully that is fixed.

(partial list below - full list here - it's long!):

Microsoft Flight Simulator Build 1.8.3.0 Changelog

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT
Optimized cockpit screen display when screens are not displayed on screen.
New option available to control cockpit screen update frequency.
Tweaked CPU thread priorities to reduce interruption of frame critical threads.
Optimized loading system to reduce overall loading times.
Optimized heavy airport scenes impact on CPU.
Reduced the amount of GPU overdraw to improve GPU performance.
Memory optimizations to reduce software memory footprint and improve performance on memory limited computers.
Overall performance optimizations.

ATC
Incoming ATC Azure speech has now three different voices.
ATC voice gender is now based on the avatar of the pilot/copilot.
Fix for the incorrect voice pack being used if the game is not localized in English and if the Windows Offline Text-to-Speech option is used.

UI
Filters and sorting have been improved in the marketplace.
Manual cache layout has been improved and the download estimated time should now be correct.
Improved support for gamepad navigation in many menus.
Case sensitive search is now working properly in control screen.
Search by axis in control screen has been fixed.
Active pause button has been added in the toolbar.
Pause button has been fixed in the Content manager.

AERODYNAMICS
Improved wind turbulence simulation to reduce horizontal turbulences.
Added simulation of low rpm piston engine vibrations on cockpit.
Added simulation of water particles (rain/clouds) density in aerodynamics => generates vibrations flying through clouds or rain.
Fixed wet surface friction and braking distances.
Fixed live weather wind offset in higher latitude areas (America, Asia…) that was causing the 3kts Wind bug.

GENERAL AVIATION AVIONICS
GNS 530 : flight plan display alignment has been fixed on the Garmin GNS 530.
G1000 : automatically switches from NAV to LOC when needed.
G1000 : ETE and ETA fixed wrong values.
G1000/3000/3x : AP setup is no longer reset when enabling AP.
G1000/3000/3x : fixed missing flight plan when the selected departure is coordinates on the world map.
G3x : text size in « approach box » has been increased.
G3x : approaches can now be selected and loaded.
G3x : fixed bad information in nearest VOR page when unknown VOR is selected.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fun times. They completely broke the A320. You can't cold start it anymore. The power switches don't consistently work. You can't enter the flight plan at all meaning you can't enter the FROM/TO. It's dead, Jim. Their QA is pure garbage. They really botched this "patch".

Edit: Now there are reports the 787 APU and G1000 in the 172 don't work either. I think that'll mean all G1000s are broken since they use one model.

Edit 2: You literally can't fly the A320 off the runway. Full power and it starts turning left on its own. Steering goes away. This is a shambles now.

Edit 3: Engine 1 is broken. It spools down on its own which is why I was turning left. Runway starts work just fine. "Tested by pilots". :D

Edit 4: Multiple stock airplanes now have MFDs going black randomly. Had it happen to me on the A320. Happens on the 172. These are issues that are obvious. Looks like I'm putting this down for a little until they get their act together. I've been trying to work around all these issues and when I do another one pops up. :grund:
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I tried to do the landing challenge just now. Approach was reasonable, speed was good, all aligned, I got this!
MS Flight Sim 2020 wrote:You failed to deploy landing gear.
OK, so I forgot one step.
malchior

Post by malchior »

So having been following the forums - this patch really did a number on several functions - I don't know if you can skip the patch but I'd highly, highly recommend it. It's abysmal. I tried working around issues and have finally given up. The MFDs blanking is the brightness knob just randomly changing itself. The A320 is broken as mentioned earlier unless you do a runway start.

I managed to work around some of the issues enough to do a short flight and the ATC isn't vectoring into airports properly again. They claimed to make fixes to the autopilot but the auto land on the A320 seems to be much worse. It kept falling off the glide slope and I'd have to click 'Appr' mode off and on to get it to lock in again. They added a button for active pause and it's hilariously not right. The best way to describe the icon for active pause is it is the 'comic sans' of icons. It just looks unprofessional. Like an intern did it. The whole thing is a total mess.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:10 pm I don't know if you can skip the patch but I'd highly, highly recommend it.
Unfortunately you can't, and as has been spotted by many people by now, it was a fucking nightmare to download and install unless you were connected to US servers. Which I wasn't. It had to download a handful of 1.5GB files but the connection kept dropping, and every time the connection dropped the file would inexplicably delete itself, causing a near-infinite loop that used ridiculous amounts of my bandwidth.

So, I didn't actually get to play last night. Meanwhile, members of my VA are reporting exactly the same issues you are. What a godawful clusterfuck. I might shelve this game entirely until at least the next patch.

I can't say I wasn't warned: it says Microsoft right there in the title. Utterly incompetent company.
I no longer post here.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Well, I had to see for myself.

(Actually you can enter a full flight plan in the A320 including SID/STAR, I just did it myself)

Cold and dark starting of the A320 is just broken. As soon as you disable the APU, engine 1 dies and will not restart no matter what you do. Not only is this laughably broken, not only is it completely immersion-breaking because you're forced to use runway starts, but also it means I can't fly it for my VA because their tracker only starts recording flights from cold and dark. Not to mention it means I won't be able to play on VATSIM or IVAO.

If this bug happens for everyone who uses the A320, then clearly Asobo didn't even bother to perform one single test flight before pushing the patch. Totally inexcusable.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The A320 battery problem is the weirdest one too. It only happens on certain gates and ramps. I posted this in a steam thread because you sort of have to laugh at this level of incompetence.

Issue: Battery buttons not working. It is intermittent on some ramps/gates.

Workaround: Try a different gate/ramp at the airport.
Cause: Some of the ramps have disgruntled ground crew sabotaging planes! Confuse them by teleporting away

Issue: Blank MFDs

Workaround: turn up the brightness knob for the display.
Cause: A ghost is with you and randomly changes it to keep you on your toes.

Issue: Mach/Speed button doesn't work. Switches to Mach at high-altitude and never switches back!

Workaround: None. Good luck setting your approach speed.
Cause: Gremlins

Issue: Engine 1 Shutdown on Cold Start

Workaround 1:
Leave the APU on

Workaround 2: Some people say that turning on the x-feed and turning off the left pump on start up fixes that.

Cause: Covid-19

Issue: AP won't autoland consistently

Workaround: Fly the plane!
Cause: Asobo programmers hate QA work.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I just confirmed the weird left tank pump thing seems to work.

Start up engine as normal. Just prior to shutting down APU, turn on the X FEED. Then L TK PUMP 1 to Off. Shut down APU.

A new problem I noticed that is annoying but could cause a crash in certain circumstance is that the Fly-By-Wire gets weird on assent. I couldn't maintain climb to 1500. I couldn't nose up all of a sudden and got into a negative climb rate at 800!. I even tried trimming all the way and turned on the AP. That worked ok. However, then the AP failed to throttle up at 1500 for a good 15 seconds and then went full on mental into Climb. It accelerated well past 250 and wouldn't slow down even if I set a slower speed. That was a single instance so I don't know if that'll be a repeat behavior yet. This feels broken but at least the winds are working (on your first flight - people say it breaks on 2nd flight). :)

Edit: So I figured Airliners are broken. LOA from the virtual airline. I'll go on a Bush Trip! Did the first trip. Landed nicely...and didn't record the leg. Hmm..maybe I'm in the wrong spot? Well it's post-mega patch day. Let me check the forum. Oops. People are reporting that Bush Trips aren't working. *Sigh*. So I looked further and the root cause appears to be they broke the log book. That seems impossible.

Anyway, I went back and checked the test flights. Yep all broken. They aren't recording the Takeoff and Landing. You can't even use this thing for GA. A very, very basic function is wrecked*. I'm done with this thing for now. How do you not notice that the log books aren't being updated properly?!? This is the most ludicrous "patch" for a product I've seen in years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The weird thing is that they claim to have fixed a bunch of things in the A320, but somehow not a single tester actually took off in one.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:50 am The weird thing is that they claim to have fixed a bunch of things in the A320, but somehow not a single tester actually took off in one.
My hunch is that they don't test the complete patch in total. The devs tested their functions individually and then just rolled it into one big buggy mess and shoved it out the door like how the release and first patch went. The release was buggy. The 1st patch fixed things and broke other thing but not badly. The 2nd patch is unacceptably bad. It breaks basic functionality required. You can't use this with Vatsim for instance because the simulator isn't reporting takeoff and landing apparently.

I am hoping some websites/blogs pick this up and run with it because MS needs to get hit in the nose on this to maybe prompt them to clean up their act. No patch at all was better than this shit show.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:56 am I am hoping some websites/blogs pick this up and run with it because MS needs to get hit in the nose on this to maybe prompt them to clean up their act. No patch at all was better than this shit show.
Quoted for truth (man, it's been a long time since I said that)!

It's so bad I'm going back to XP11 for now, until/if Asobo get their shit together. MSFS is a mess.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

About the Bush Trips...they work as long as you've never started one pre-patch. Otherwise, you need to blow it away and start over for landings to be recognized post-patch. In other words, they broke saves on Bush trips. I have 80% of Balkans done...so that's a strong no. If you like to fly around without a proper log book in GA planes...you're mostly ok as long as they don't have glass cockpits. So about 80% of the functionality was broken by this patch. :lol:
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

A friend just told me that the Longitude doesn't have reversers any more. This patch is so incredibly bad it actually looks like internal sabotage.

I'm playing XP11 right now. Can't imagine when I'll go back to MSFS.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:12 pm A friend just told me that the Longitude doesn't have reversers any more. This patch is so incredibly bad it actually looks like internal sabotage.

I'm playing XP11 right now. Can't imagine when I'll go back to MSFS.
I'm in my backlog. No need to fly for awhile. I can't go back to lesser platforms now. I'll just be patient and wait for payware or for them or some modder to fix it. It blows my mind still that they went from buggy but mostly usable to completely broken and not a word from Asobo/Microsoft. I'm really not impressed with them right now.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I just got this from one of the Discord channels - Asobo updated the issue tracker.
Currently, if you start the A320 Neo cold and dark, the engine unexpectedly shuts down after starting up aircraft following checklist

We are looking into this issue and hope to have a fix in the next patch. The workaround: Leave the APU on; or, load in on the runway.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:58 pm I can't go back to lesser platforms now.
It's hard to admit, but you're right. I did a flight in XP11 this evening and was severely disheartened by how lifeless and sterile it was by comparison. MSFS doesn't just have the graphics. The ATC is a lot more interactive (if psychopathic), and I love flying among all those other players.

Sigh. I guess I'll try the A320 with that workaround and see if it's enjoyable.
I no longer post here.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I've been flying the A320 which works "fine" as long as you fight every instinct in your body to switch the APU off after engine start! I've found that the airliners in general are not very good at flying the glideslope in APPR mode now though.

One bit of good news. Someone managed to sneak a fix in amongst all the sabotage: FL CHG mode in the 747 actually works properly now! You can actually descend using autopilot!
I no longer post here.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

So I needed one more flight to get me to the next rank for my VA. For nostalgia's sake I decided to go back to the good old Cessna 208B in New Zealand. The route was Queenstown to Mount Cook. It looked like it would be another one of those low level, fly around the corner just before landing kind of approaches. Great fun!

When I loaded in I was in the middle of a storm. 70 knots crosswind, I kid you not. Just barely clearing the nearest mountain as I struggled to gain altitude, arriving at 11,000ft I began to relax a bit, but I didn't take my eyes off the PFD; the autopilot was really struggling to maintain control and having to fly about 30 degrees off bearing just to maintain course. Presumably in real life the flight wouldn't have even departed. On a whim I checked the real world weather for New Zealand - nice and calm. So much for live weather!

It got so bad I eventually diverted 10nm off my flight plan just to find some clearer skies. I emerged from the roiling clouds over a lake and eagerly descended to 5,000ft. Mount Cook has an elevation of just over 2,000ft and it looked like more or less clear skies all the way, so feeling much better now, I turned toward the airport. With about 10nm to go I began scanning to catch sight of the runway, when suddenly it happened. I bet you can guess what happened?

Yep - the fucking game crashed. Five minutes from touchdown, as always. Asobo needs to fix this pile of shit!
I no longer post here.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

OK I'm done with this game for a few patches. So sick of the bugs, especially the ones that ruin a two hour flight. I'd go as far as to call the game unplayable to be honest.
I no longer post here.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Paradroid wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:25 pm OK I'm done with this game for a few patches. So sick of the bugs, especially the ones that ruin a two hour flight. I'd go as far as to call the game unplayable to be honest.
I'm assuming there are no saves in the game? Are they planning on putting that in? Also what's the best forum to read up on it?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
malchior

Post by malchior »

UsulofDoom wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:13 pm
Paradroid wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:25 pm OK I'm done with this game for a few patches. So sick of the bugs, especially the ones that ruin a two hour flight. I'd go as far as to call the game unplayable to be honest.
I'm assuming there are no saves in the game? Are they planning on putting that in? Also what's the best forum to read up on it?
You can save but it isn't organic and it isn't reliable on loading yet. The microsoft forum is reasonably good.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

So I thought I'd try one more time, this time with the 747, just to see. It means I wouldn't be clocking up any hours for the VA, but just being able to play at all is more important of course.

It was a total disaster. Firstly, there's a theory floating around that setting AI aircraft to generic will ameliorate some of the "ghost cockpit" issues, so I set that, and started my flight.

In fairness, I didn't have any ghost cockpit issues. But ATC was constantly telling generic this and generic that to change altitudes. Like, all the time. I had to tune it out before I went mad.

The autopilot was kind of working - to begin with. I struggled to gain altitude but did finally make my cruising altitude. But as soon as I entered the STAR phase of my flight plan all hell broke loose. The autopilot just went utterly bananas. I tried to get it to descend, and it did to begin with. But it plummeted straight through the altitude I'd commanded and continued to drop. No combination of altitude and thrust settings seemed to have any effect, so I disconnected it and manually brought the plane back up to altitude.

I activated autopilot again, and as long as I wanted to fly straight and level it was fine. But of course, I was in the STAR so before long I had to descend again. This time, during a supposed descent phase, all the autopilot wanted to do was pitch the nose up by 30+ degrees. It wasn't long before we approached stall speed so I had to take over again. This happened two or three times before I gave up.

In the end I had to hand fly the last 50nm of the flight, which isn't much fun in an airliner. Oh, and right in the middle of a raging storm, of course. All this week I've been in the middle of a massive storm no matter where I fly, which is definitely not right. I still landed the bugger though, which was the only joy I had in the entire flight. Not really on the centreline, but nice and smooth, in 30+ knots of crosswind. I was quite proud of that! I think the ground effect is massively exaggerated in this game; I was crabbing to counteract the crosswind but when I got to around 100-200ft above ground the wind just instantly stopped having any effect, which is why I moved adrift of the centreline.

This game is just B R O K E N. Fundamentally, completely broken. I am not happy.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The A32NX team released an update of their customized mod for the A320 and it seems to make the simulator...mostly usable for the A320. I'm flying a Virtual Airplane route now. I'll see if I have CTDs today.

So I had the following problems - I've found workarounds to most of them:

Engine 1 shutdown - Either keep APU Bleed On or put fuel in center tank
Plane powering down midflight - Keep APU Bleed On
Battery Buttons Not Consistently Working - Turn AI Generic Models to On in Options Menu (<-- really this is the fix. WTF!?!)
AP goes crazy and cycles through airway waypoints in a circle - Direct to last waypoint in the airway
Logbook entries don't update - Disable developer mode. So much for tracking framerate. :sigh:

Things that still happen:

Autopilot goes bananas on descent with descent rates of 9000 FPM (The Sentient AP AI thrills to hear the screams of the PAXs!)
AP goes bananas and just descends sharply out of nowhere and then climbs back up to original altitude (like I said the AP AI is sadistic)
Autopilot sometimes cycles through waypoints in airways locking you into a left or right hand slow turn
ATC vectors you to altitudes below constraints and then yells at you to expedite your descent.
ATC still has no star awareness except in a few cities -- Chicago works pretty well actually. Atlanta. Not so much.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I've packed my X52 away. Doesn't look like I'll be needing it any time soon. I don't have confidence that MSFS will be fixed in the near future, and XP11 just refuses to even load for me now.

Just to recap on my flight sim expenditure over the last two months:

X-Plane 11: £60
MSFS: £60
X52: £120

That's £240 essentially spent on two games that I can't even play.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I got one flight in today. It went fine. I tried to do a continuation without a reload. The AI Co-Pilot got mad and refused to do the Radio Calls. Fantastic. I cheated around that (do a handover to a center and just ignore the next step). When you need to check in it'll pick up no matter where you are. Cool. Then I had to modify the flight plan on approach to KLAS (3 hours later) and it crashed to desktop. I clicked insert on the MCDU. Very tricky stuff there. Yep. I'm done with this pile of shit for awhile. I gave it a couple of weeks and let the A32NX team do what they could but they can't fix Asobo's broken QA process.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:47 pm Then I had to modify the flight plan on approach to KLAS (3 hours later) and it crashed to desktop. I clicked insert on the MCDU. Very tricky stuff there.
That happened to me in the 208. I used the "nearest" menu to find an airport, clicked "select approach" and the game immediately crashed to desktop.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:06 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:47 pm Then I had to modify the flight plan on approach to KLAS (3 hours later) and it crashed to desktop. I clicked insert on the MCDU. Very tricky stuff there.
That happened to me in the 208. I used the "nearest" menu to find an airport, clicked "select approach" and the game immediately crashed to desktop.
I'm in the Discord channel for the A32NX project and they think they might be able to fix some of this stuff but it appears that the Autopilot code is shared across everything and the flight planning stuff is a mess. As someone said, the A320 has an autopilot written mostly like it was a Cessna so when the team applied proper thrust/weight/etc. it went haywire and they had to offset things in it.

That aside, the base simulator mostly works well. It's the aircraft and ATC functions that are all buggy, broken pieces of garbage. It's a shame. As an aside, it is bullshit that they got $120 out of people for the 787. It's the most broken thing in the simulator.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Hey Malchior. I'm looking forward to your impressions of today's patch. :D
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:24 pm Hey Malchior. I'm looking forward to your impressions of today's patch. :D
Oh had no idea it was coming. I haven't been watching since I gave the last A320NX fix a try. I guess I should get a couple of flights in before they blow up the fixes they managed to get working.

Edit: Quick read on the channel indicates they dropped massive amounts of premium aircraft updates...we'll see. Look at the known issues. The top one is WTF worthy.

Known issues:

Game may crash if the VFR Map is not opened right after starting the flight
Cessna Citation Longitude: Regression AP FLC and VS mode
Cessna Citation Longitude: Autopilot climb and level off issues
Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental: Autopilot switches to FLCH mode instead of catching the glideslope
Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental: Autopilot switches to VNAV mode on take-off even if VNAV is not used by the pilot
Airbus A320neo : PFDs shutdowns randomly
The Tour of Japan discovery flight will be greyed out in the main menu if the Beechcraft King Air 350i is not installed
A new install on a different install folder will only download the mandatory content and will require a reboot (non mandatory content can be downloaded from the Content manager)
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:44 pm Game may crash if the VFR Map is not opened right after starting the flight
Yeah, wtf? I have mine disabled entirely because I get massive performance improvements. Why don't they just purge it from the code until it's fixed? It's clearly causing a lot of issues.

Also, I'm having the same patch download issues as before. :roll:
I no longer post here.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

So I figured something out about the patch process. It downloads multi-GB files into RAM first, and everything has to download before it gets written to the disk. If the connection drops for some reason - which it does, frequently - the file is deleted from RAM and has to download again.

Just...just...why?

Anyway. After several hours and god knows how many GB of bandwidth used to install a 9GB patch, it was finally "ready" to play. I fired up a short flight in the A320, you know, just for a laugh.

Engine startup perfectly normal even when switching off APU bleed at the appropriate time - hooray! Just as with the previous patch, some impertinent intern evidently managed to sneak in an actual fix amongst all the sabotage.

Less than ten minutes later and before even reaching FL140, the autopilot went completely mental yet again. First it had the most comical difficulty staying on the flight plan, making turns way too big to correct small deviations. Then it got confused about the altitude I commanded. Then it apparently decided to end it all and sent the aircraft into a diving spin which overstressed the airframe and destroyed it.

It's actually kind of impressive, in a way, to see such staggering cosmic-scale incompetence in a flagship title produced by the biggest software company in the world.
I no longer post here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You sure they weren't using the 787 Max patch?
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:34 pm You sure they weren't using the 787 Max patch?
Heh. That would be the 737 MAX. And also: oof, dude! :lol:
I no longer post here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sorry, getting the Max confused with the Dreamliner.