MS Flight Simulator 2020

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: MS Flight Simulator 2020

Post by Blackhawk »

Apparently there's no 'official' support for CH products peripherals, so I'm going to have to manually assign every axis and button on my pedals, throttle, and stick. Ugh. I need to sleep before I can attempt that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Three times last night my 747 crashed while attempting to take off from 08L at EGKK. Granted, it's possible the runway was too short for a 747 - although if that's the case I don't know why ATC kept telling me to use it. But the crashes always occurred before reaching the end of the runway and just I was beginning to rotate. Very irritating!

In the end I ignored ATC and switched to 08R, and lo and behold, successful takeoff.
I no longer post here.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:05 am I've still got one of the earlier TrackIR sets lying around, along with my CH rudder pedals, throttle, and stick. I bought them all years and years ago to really immerse myself in flight sims, but barely ended up using any of them. I really should get rid of them.
and now you can sell them for 'insane' amounts of $$$ on an online auction site
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

The ATC in this game gets on my tits. Constant altitude changes, often before I can even respond to the last one. And there's some kind of connection between what you say to ATC and what's in your FMC, and if you don't do everything absolutely perfectly (or this game's version of it), your flight plan goes really weird. This evening I just gave up on ATC altogether; tuned a random frequency to COM 1 and enjoyed a silent last 20 minutes of my flight. And for once made a really smooth landing!
I no longer post here.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Paradroid wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:33 pm The ATC in this game gets on my tits. Constant altitude changes, often before I can even respond to the last one. And there's some kind of connection between what you say to ATC and what's in your FMC, and if you don't do everything absolutely perfectly (or this game's version of it), your flight plan goes really weird. This evening I just gave up on ATC altogether; tuned a random frequency to COM 1 and enjoyed a silent last 20 minutes of my flight. And for once made a really smooth landing!
I've been letting the AI handle talking to the ATC, which I basically ignore. When I've got my sea legs with this game I'm going to really try to learn how to talk to those guys, but for now I'm happy just ignoring them.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I just had yet another argument with ATC. They wanted to vector me to 27L at Charles de Gaulles, but I asked for an approach to 09R instead. Silence. I asked again, and they came back with "did you hear my last transmission?" So I tuned them out again...

In other news, I'm trying the Airbus out again. I don't think it will ever replace the 747 for me but I do like the fly by wire system, and it's very nimble compared to the Queen of the Skies.

I really can't wait for the first payware airliners to be released.
I no longer post here.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paradroid wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:37 pm Presumably. I always use live weather though.
I had no idea.
Microsoft Flight Simulator players have turned into virtual stormchasers this week, hunting down Hurricane Laura as it approached the US Gulf Coast. While Texas and Louisiana brace for what is being described as an “unsurvivable storm surge,” the real-time weather inside Microsoft Flight Simulator is providing a surreal spectacle for players.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Check out this real life vs MFS2020 of a landing into MCO.

Pretty incredible:

-something witty-
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

No matter what issues they have right now what they have done is probably the most amazing thing I've seen in a long time. It's just mind blowing to me that they were able to pull this off. It is making me want to upgrade my rig again, but I don't even know how I would do that as I'm really lazy to do rebuilds myself now. The mobo would need to be replaced which means I would likely want to reinstall Windows. I really want to upgrade to a newer CPU and get a superwide monitor though. That seems like it would be super fun for flight and driving games.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yep, it really is that good.

In other news, look at this shit:

At least the crappy FMC lets us input our own Vref. :roll:
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:40 pm I just had yet another argument with ATC. They wanted to vector me to 27L at Charles de Gaulles, but I asked for an approach to 09R instead. Silence. I asked again, and they came back with "did you hear my last transmission?" So I tuned them out again...

In other news, I'm trying the Airbus out again. I don't think it will ever replace the 747 for me but I do like the fly by wire system, and it's very nimble compared to the Queen of the Skies.

I really can't wait for the first payware airliners to be released.
You can't request new approaches. It is clearly broken. It kept trying to vector me onto a too short runway -- I think it is for GA but I was trying out a 747!! -- using a visual approach. The airport had no traffic and many runways since it was Dulles. LOL. Many bug to squish.

My big enemy has been the idiots in live traffic. And the inflexibility of the ATC. I got sent to a gate where some jamoke was parked. And he was just sitting there...and sitting there...can you ask for another gate assignment? Nope. Does it recognize the end of a flight if you are not at the assigned gate? Again nope. I gave up and just quit. Lost the flight. Very frustrating.

Earlier I did my first transcon from JFK to Vancouver. I am landing at Vancouver and some jabroni is just sitting on the runway. ATC is telling him to expedite departure from the runway. I had to go around. I can't change request a change of approach...so I come back around...and he is still there 10 minutes later. Grr. Manually switch to another runway and put it down. Hell is other people. :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:07 am Hell is other people. :)
What do you think of pilots in their shirt-sleeves?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I feel your pain Malchior. When that happens to me I just pretend they aren't there. It's a small mercy that there's no collision detection between planes....
I no longer post here.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:07 am My big enemy has been the idiots in live traffic. And the inflexibility of the ATC. I got sent to a gate where some jamoke was parked. And he was just sitting there...and sitting there...can you ask for another gate assignment? Nope. Does it recognize the end of a flight if you are not at the assigned gate? Again nope. I gave up and just quit. Lost the flight. Very frustrating.
I don't think you lose the flight if you don't naturally get the end of flight screen. I often don't, and just leave the runway then shut down the engines. My logbook is always updated with the landing.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:57 am
malchior wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:07 am My big enemy has been the idiots in live traffic. And the inflexibility of the ATC. I got sent to a gate where some jamoke was parked. And he was just sitting there...and sitting there...can you ask for another gate assignment? Nope. Does it recognize the end of a flight if you are not at the assigned gate? Again nope. I gave up and just quit. Lost the flight. Very frustrating.
I don't think you lose the flight if you don't naturally get the end of flight screen. I often don't, and just leave the runway then shut down the engines. My logbook is always updated with the landing.
I shut down the engines about 100 feet from the occupied parking spot (didn't know about the lack of collision detection) and it didn't update the log book. That was a relatively short flight though Vancouver to LAX...so annoying...but at least not the transcon flight.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:07 am
Paradroid wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:57 am
I shut down the engines about 100 feet from the occupied parking spot (didn't know about the lack of collision detection) and it didn't update the log book. That was a relatively short flight though Vancouver to LAX...so annoying...but at least not the transcon flight.
Oddly I did a couple of bush flights and that missing flight is now in the logs. TO THE CLOUD! Anyway, today I did a couple of flights and I've thrown the towel in on using ATC. Between it yelling at me for not maintaining altitudes that will crash me into mountains and clearing 747s onto visual approaches in the fog...it is not fit for purpose. Apparently a lot of people complained about it in the beta so hopefully it is on the list of improvements.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yeah ATC does a really poor job of adjusting your altitude in line with approaches.

I'm absolutely convinced that the issues with ATC, FMCs, and flight plans are all centered on altitude data. It's clearly not implemented properly in the game yet. I've heard that importing a plan from simbrief.com works better so I will give that a try later.
malchior wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:54 pm Apparently a lot of people complained about it in the beta so hopefully it is on the list of improvements.
Ha! Every bug and issue I see reported on the forum invariably has a "tech alpha insider" posting to say yes, we reported this months ago. I guarantee that at least six months ago Microsoft directed Asobo to just "make it look pretty". I think they predicted - correctly, to be fair - that making the game look incredible would be the thing that sets the gaming world alight. They weren't wrong. 10/10s all around, with the way the world is rendered being the number one factor every time.

Hopefully now Asobo can concentrate on fixing some things...
I no longer post here.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I tried to fly from Anchorage to Fairbanks today and wanted to punch the ATC in the face.

“RM9 - you are flying three centimeters below your cruise altitude.” “No wait, you’re correction brought you four centimeters above your cruising altitude - for the love of God, please descend!!!”.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:25 pmHa! Every bug and issue I see reported on the forum invariably has a "tech alpha insider" posting to say yes, we reported this months ago. I guarantee that at least six months ago Microsoft directed Asobo to just "make it look pretty". I think they predicted - correctly, to be fair - that making the game look incredible would be the thing that sets the gaming world alight. They weren't wrong. 10/10s all around, with the way the world is rendered being the number one factor every time.
Yep - sounds right. It certainly is stunning.

Hopefully now Asobo can concentrate on fixing some things...
This is what I'm hoping and there enough players in it flying 787s to think they got a good chunk of cash - so no excuses. :)
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Am I expecting too much from default aircraft?

I finally missed an approach for the first time this evening (ATC's constant efforts to throw me off on every flight finally got me when I wasn't paying attention). I realised too late that you can't fly missed approaches as per the charts because they usually require you to fly a VOR radial, but if you tune a VOR (on the 747 at least) any LNAV you subsequently use will follow only the VOR. There's no way to revert back to the flight plan. This is stupid.

I mean, technically I suppose you're unlikely to use your flight plan again in this instance, but it stops you tuning the VOR mid-flight as a fallback. Really bloody annoying.

By the way. Of course, if you report a missed approach as published, ATC has a breakdown. They'll give you an initial vector and altitude, but then have absolutely no idea what to do with you after that point. :roll:
I no longer post here.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I'd been playing this with an Xbox controller because I'm a filthy casual, and new joysticks are infinitely expensive, or impossible to find, or both. Then I found an old Logitech Wingman Extreme while cleaning out a closet. I didn't figure I'd have any luck, because it's old enough to have a joyport to USB converter attached to it, but I plugged it in, and it magically was detected by Windows and was immediately available in game, and everything seems to work great. So that was a pleasant surprise.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Another friendly warning: always remember to set takeoff flaps! A...er, friend told me how he forgot to do this last night while in my his 747 and couldn't get off the runway in time! :oops:
I no longer post here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

On the bright side, that farmer no longer has to plow that field this year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I don't get these landing challenges, I think the scoring system was taking the piss out of me tonight. I was doing the 747 into KJFK landing. The first time I pretty much botched it; I got it down in one piece, but I was way off target and didn't set the spoilers or the auto brakes. That was my best score of the evening.

The following three or four times I did a much better job, with my final attempt landing exactly on the target and using spoilers and auto brakes to come to a very quick stop, and that got the lowest score of all. WTF?
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:08 pm Am I expecting too much from default aircraft?

I finally missed an approach for the first time this evening (ATC's constant efforts to throw me off on every flight finally got me when I wasn't paying attention). I realised too late that you can't fly missed approaches as per the charts because they usually require you to fly a VOR radial, but if you tune a VOR (on the 747 at least) any LNAV you subsequently use will follow only the VOR. There's no way to revert back to the flight plan. This is stupid.

I mean, technically I suppose you're unlikely to use your flight plan again in this instance, but it stops you tuning the VOR mid-flight as a fallback. Really bloody annoying.

By the way. Of course, if you report a missed approach as published, ATC has a breakdown. They'll give you an initial vector and altitude, but then have absolutely no idea what to do with you after that point. :roll:
I don't think it is too much. They deserve a bit of criticism because there are extremely basic bugs that should have been found in testing. Here are a couple of things that have relatively strong confirmation on the forums.
  • The fuel consumption is about 25% too high at cruise and likely all around
    • This had been killing me as I kept make landings with vapors in the tanks and wondering what I was doing wrong. Nothing. I wasn't doing anything wrong.
    • A basic feature is broken.
  • Multiple possible causes for the fuel issue
    • Cruise AoA is too high.
      • It throws off speed/fuel consumption significantly.
    • One person mentioned that Asobo got everything wrong. The published cruise charts for the plane don't match
      • Any of the N1 values at the cruise altitude
        • They are *too low* in the simulation which should have *less burn* but instead *more burn*
      • Any of the IAS values at the cruise altitude
      • Someone wondered if they just made everything up - lol!
  • gross weight of the vehicle isn't decreasing with fuel burn.
    • I thought it was weird that it wasn't updating however some people are saying that appears to be behind some of the issues as well.
    • Again another basic feature broken.
  • They silently fixed VNAV so you can do auto land now on most ILS approaches in the A320 which is nice!
An outcome of this is I just cheat more fuel on mid-flight or several times depending on flight length to get it back up to close to where it should be. It is very immersive. :)
Last edited by malchior on Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:27 am
Heh, yes I was reading about that just this morning! I mean, I just laugh now. Add it to the massive heap of bugs due to be fixed. Another thing with the 747 is how much it bucks during landing, to insane degrees sometimes. I've seen real pilots laugh at it on Youtube. It isn't right at all, and it particularly pisses me off because the 747 is otherwise my favourite of all the default aircraft, despite its many issues.

By the way I did some research and found that I was right to criticise the game for the VOR thing. On the real 747 you absolutely do tune a VOR some time in flight, even while still sat on the runway. So the autopilot prioritising it over the flight plan is yet another silly bug.
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:35 am
malchior wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:27 am
Heh, yes I was reading about that just this morning! I mean, I just laugh now. Add it to the massive heap of bugs due to be fixed. Another thing with the 747 is how much it bucks during landing, to insane degrees sometimes. I've seen real pilots laugh at it on Youtube. It isn't right at all, and it particularly pisses me off because the 747 is otherwise my favourite of all the default aircraft, despite its many issues.

By the way I did some research and found that I was right to criticise the game for the VOR thing. On the real 747 you absolutely do tune a VOR some time in flight, even while still sat on the runway. So the autopilot prioritising it over the flight plan is yet another silly bug.
I just edited it but one of the real-world pilots essentially said Airbus publishes cruise tables - the values for everything are just wrong. All Asobo had to do was look at them. The fuel issues were really killing me which is why I was hunting it down. Payware aircraft can't come soon enough.

On the A320 when you set an arrival runway the whole MCDU goes crazy. It tries to fly you back to your last waypoint and you can't delete it to fix it. I was just playing around with it until it worked. I have been watching a guy Drawyah fly on Youtube/Twitch and he doesn't use ATC. That just seems to be the way to go. Manually plot everything and just land as you want until they fix the ATC/NAV stuff.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:41 am I just edited it but one of the real-world pilots essentially said Airbus publishes cruise tables - the values for everything are just wrong. All Asobo had to do was look at them. The fuel issues were really killing me which is why I was hunting it down.
They reportedly consulted pilots all the way, for whatever that's worth. It worries me that there's something fundamentally wrong deeper in the codebase which will be harder to fix.
Payware aircraft can't come soon enough.
God yes. I'm going to buy the first payware airliner that comes out, even if it is one of those stinking Airbus things!
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:44 am
malchior wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:41 am I just edited it but one of the real-world pilots essentially said Airbus publishes cruise tables - the values for everything are just wrong. All Asobo had to do was look at them. The fuel issues were really killing me which is why I was hunting it down.
They reportedly consulted pilots all the way, for whatever that's worth. It worries me that there's something fundamentally wrong deeper in the codebase which will be harder to fix.
Maybe but I figure that every model has to be corrected for so the payware people will be used to that. As long as the flight model is stable they can adjust for it. As to real commercial pilots? I don't see how. Any one of them would have pointed out the aircraft doesn't match any of the published materials. :)
God yes. I'm going to buy the first payware airliner that comes out, even if it is one of those stinking Airbus things!
Fair enough. I suspect it'll be the PMDG 737.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

The damn autopilot on the 747 cannot descend gracefully at all. I always end up having to use speed brakes, whether I'm using FL CHG or VS.

Anyway, this morning I was on approach to Dublin International. Runway 28 which would've been a lovely approach over the Irish Sea if not for the clouds reaching all the way down to 3,000ft! As usual I was wrestling with the autopilot to get it down to approach altitude. This time, it reached the altitude and continued descending! No matter what I tried. I eventually disconnected it and levelled the aircraft 2,500ft above sea level!

Called the missed approach (so that was the end of ATC for this flight) and had to hand fly it, along with the actual landing. Let me tell you - hand flying a 747 is not fun. I usually hand fly at takeoff until around 10,000ft and then I'm quite happy to let the autopilot do most of the rest of the flight, and for good reason. It's like driving a block of flats (or skyscraper for my American cousins) through the sky. Almost impossible to stabilise.

I did it though. :D
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I tried out the Cessna Citation's - one thing is consistent. The airplanes all burn too much fuel, have too much thrust, and have broken FMS/autopilots. They are usable but again I have to cheat fuel. I should just turn on unlimited fuel at this point because its silly broken. :)

Another thing people have noticed the premium version Cessna has tanks that are ... 1/2 - 1/3 the proper size with double the burn significantly limiting the range -- somewhere around 25% of its published range. Just in case you jump in these and wonder wtf is going on. :)
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW I noticed that aloft winds (at least at FL210) appeared today. I did a flight over France and noticed it. I'll pick up a high airways flight later and see if we get the good stuff up top too.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I've joined a virtual airline! I've already done a couple of pireps for them. As I'm a noob I'm at a low rank and the only low-ranking plane they have that MSFS supports is the Cessna 208.

I couldn't have chosen a worse first flight. 20 minutes from one airport in the arse end of nowhere, New Zealand, to another. At night. Well, to begin with the departing runway wasn't illuminated and it's pretty much in the middle of a forest, so taking off was hair-raising. Then, I noticed that there are mountains everywhere and I nearly smacked into some of them while desperately trying to get the Cessna to altitude.

So. 10-15 minutes into the flight and I'm more or less on course at 8,000ft. I start looking for the runway, which is supposed to be on the east coast of some lake. Nothing. I begin my descent, fly right over where the Garmin says the airfield is, and still absolutely nothing. I start to circle, but as there are mountains everywhere that means climbing and descending all the time. Eventually I decided to cheat and magically made it day time. Finally, I spot it - a tiny little strip of grass barely visible from the sky, with no illumination! I can only imagine this route isn't meant to be flown at night...

So I did eventually land after circling once more to give myself time to lose altitude. Total flight time was double what it should have been; my passengers would've been better off just driving there. The VA were happy with it though, they aren't particularly strict thankfully. In my pirep I submitted the following PIC remark: "late arrival: inability to locate runway due to unfamiliarity with airspace". :D
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:34 pm FWIW I noticed that aloft winds (at least at FL210) appeared today. I did a flight over France and noticed it. I'll pick up a high airways flight later and see if we get the good stuff up top too.
No variable winds at FL340. Wahhh wahhh.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:06 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:34 pm FWIW I noticed that aloft winds (at least at FL210) appeared today. I did a flight over France and noticed it. I'll pick up a high airways flight later and see if we get the good stuff up top too.
No variable winds at FL340. Wahhh wahhh.
So a new behavior today. I'm trying for the Frequent Flyer Miles achievement of flying from LFBD (near Marseilles where Asobo is) to KSEA. A very long flight. I loaded it up in the 787. I'm cruising at FL340 and the winds are coming and going. For example a offset crosswind of 80 Knots, suddenly drops back to 225/3 nm. It is setting off alarms, shaking the plane violently, etc. My guess is that they don't necessarily have consistent loading of weather data into 'sim cells' or whatever unit they break areas into. The AP is not loving it and I'm flipping it off and on to 'reset' it for now. :)
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yeah I just take the airliners as they come now, while quietly waiting for the paywares. I always keep at least one eye on what the autopilot is doing! The game clearly got a lot more attention in the GA department than airliners, which is disappointing.

Speaking of GA, I've been doing a lot of low-level VFR flying around New Zealand for my virtual airline, and I've been really enjoying it. The scenery is just absolutely beautiful. And there are some very challenging landings there, too. I just flew into Milford Sound and did it completely the wrong way. Landing at runway 11 you're supposed to come in low across the lake and around the massive tree-covered hill to your right. Being new to the area I did the stupidest thing possible and just hugged the hill on a straight approach. Needless to say it was a very fast and bumpy landing. :D

Just a few more hours and I'll be "rank D" with my airline and will jump straight into the A320. I never thought I'd be pleased to fly the bloody thing!
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paradroid wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:15 am Yeah I just take the airliners as they come now, while quietly waiting for the paywares. I always keep at least one eye on what the autopilot is doing! The game clearly got a lot more attention in the GA department than airliners, which is disappointing.
I just had a *very frustrating* moment. I was doing the aforementioned achievement flight. I had it running in the background all day while I worked. At some point one of the wind appearing/disappearing alarms broke the autothrust. *Sigh*. Then the FLCH mode broke. *Sigh again*. I'm flying it manual and have the airport in sight and it crashes to desktop. My first *ever* crash to desktop. I saved the flight when the autothrust broke because I considered re-loading to see if it'd fix it but don't know if it'll break the achievement. Maybe I'll try it if I have nothing better going on. In the meantime, back to short flights until they fix this horror show. :)
Speaking of GA, I've been doing a lot of low-level VFR flying around New Zealand for my virtual airline, and I've been really enjoying it. The scenery is just absolutely beautiful. And there are some very challenging landings there, too. I just flew into Milford Sound and did it completely the wrong way. Landing at runway 11 you're supposed to come in low across the lake and around the massive tree-covered hill to your right. Being new to the area I did the stupidest thing possible and just hugged the hill on a straight approach. Needless to say it was a very fast and bumpy landing. :D
Due to moments like the above I have been trying out the GA stuff and it is really well done. Though programming the Garmin is still broken.
Just a few more hours and I'll be "rank D" with my airline and will jump straight into the A320. I never thought I'd be pleased to fly the bloody thing!
FWIW the A320 is the least broken airliner right now. That isn't saying much but the autopilot is much more stable. I haven't had it break anything like the 787 or 747 ones have at least.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:10 pm Due to moments like the above I have been trying out the GA stuff and it is really well done. Though programming the Garmin is still broken.
I'm starting to suspect it isn't quite as broken as it first seemed, it's just...idiosyncratic. For example, when you program an approach the cursor disappears, which initially I thought meant that programming approaches is broken. But then I realised that you can just enable the cursor again and then select load or activate. Stuff like that. I've actually been getting on with it fairly well lately. That's what an enforced 10 hours of GA will do!

Still, I ranked up with my VA and the Airbus is my main aircraft now, and I'm quite pleased about it. I didn't enjoy not going anywhere near an airliner for a whole week - even a MSFS airliner!
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I had a few interesting encounters with bugs. One was a flight into KSNA (aka John Wayne) in California. I was approaching and ATC directed me to land on 26L. 26L didn't have ILS and I had clouds so I asked for 26R. It gave it to me! Alright ATC. So I'm coming in, break through the clouds, and...26L is clearly in front of me. I check and yes the plane is claiming on the G/S for 26R. Cool. Next problem...bigger problem...26L is like 4000 ft. Not going to cut it for a A320. I did a touch and go, went around, and just did the same approach but manually sidestepped onto 26R.

Here is where it gets weirder. The ACARS for my virtual airline said I landed on 26L, it was too short (insufficient length) and I overran the runway by 2000 feet. That totally didn't happen. I didn't even notice it in the filed report. The Chief Pilot sent me an email -- hey he is checking things at least. The simulator must have the runways swapped in a database. Lol.

Another "bug" is the ATC just not recognizing constraints. I'm flying into KDEN and coming in from the West over the mountains. I plug in the descent and hit a constraint -- the one that helpfully keeps me from flying into a mountain -- and the ATC is chirping at me to expedite my descent. That seems like an easy fix. If they are running against a constraint then don't send the command. Jeez Asobo. :)
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yeah it's weird...the game has the data, it just isn't always using them correctly. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised. There's a specific approach into LOWI which has you overshoot the runway then make a descending turn, and ATC actually gave me the proper vectors for that which frankly shocked me!

But yeah, other times they'll happily vector you into a mountain or whatever. There must be a bug in how the game parses the data sometimes.
I no longer post here.