Jedi: Fallen Order

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Jedi: Fallen Order

Post by coopasonic »

I've only played about 2 hours, but it's 100% Dark Souls (lose xp when you die, get it back when you damage the enemy that killed you) + Metroidvania (blocked paths until you acquire new abilities/tools/powers) + plus save points that respawn enemies if you recover health which both games feature. I am playing on the second hardest difficulty and nothing has been difficult to this point but it has mostly been tutorial with one trivial tutorial boss. You can change difficulty at any time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Guess this is the first Jedi game I will never get. I HATE DS type games.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

I am also only 2 hours in but it's pretty great so far. It is Dark Soulish but it has selective difficulty on the fly and nothing I have run into so far is hard at all.

Story is good so far and the inrto action was pretty amazing.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I forgot to comment on the actual fun factor. I am in fact having fun with it thought it's too early to know for sure. I do really like how they highlight the unexplored paths on the map. On the other hand the multi-level 3d map can be a little bit confusing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Downloading now. Since positive reviews, I'm in like Flynn.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Definitely lots of fund, but it will piss people off with losing xp when you die. Some of the animal fights are way overtuned as well. 2-3 animals will kill you quick at early levels. Regardless, it is a really fun game. I picked it up on Origin Premier for $14.99. It has no replayability for me and i'll be done with it in a month.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jag wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:22 pm Definitely lots of fund, but it will piss people off with losing xp when you die. Some of the animal fights are way overtuned as well. 2-3 animals will kill you quick at early levels. Regardless, it is a really fun game. I picked it up on Origin Premier for $14.99. It has no replayability for me and i'll be done with it in a month.
Can you reload a save before the xp loss?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:35 pm
Jag wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:22 pm Definitely lots of fund, but it will piss people off with losing xp when you die. Some of the animal fights are way overtuned as well. 2-3 animals will kill you quick at early levels. Regardless, it is a really fun game. I picked it up on Origin Premier for $14.99. It has no replayability for me and i'll be done with it in a month.
The XP loss is very much dark souls like. If you die to a mob you lose all XP since you last hit a meditation point. That XP then become attached to that mob. If you hit that mob again you get all your lost xp back.

6 hours in and still really liking it. It like Dark Souls and Prince of Persia had a Jedi child.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:35 pm
No, unless you game save management outside the game. There is a single save. You are only losing what you gained since the last save and you can get it back by hitting whatever killed you. If you die by falling off something like missing a jump, you don't really die, just go back to the ledge with no xp loss.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Since enemies respawn when you meditate, I'm gonna level to the max before I move on. 8-)
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:18 pm Since enemies respawn when you meditate, I'm gonna level to the max before I move on. 8-)
That's not 100% accurate. You have to meditate to recover health to cause respawns. If you just meditate to save or to allocate skill points then there isn't respawning. Xp from enemies doesn't seem to be worth very much compared to discoveries
Jag

Post by Jag »

IceBear wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:43 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:18 pm Since enemies respawn when you meditate, I'm gonna level to the max before I move on. 8-)
That's not 100% accurate. You have to meditate to recover health to cause respawns. If you just meditate to save or to allocate skill points then there isn't respawning. Xp from enemies doesn't seem to be worth very much compared to discoveries
But if you are very close to a new level and facing a tough challenge, it's not a bad idea to xp farm a bit to get that next level. You don't lose skill points when you die, just whatever xp is gathered in the level. But you are right, enemies don't give much at all.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Got through the first 4-5 hours, and am fairly impressed. Combat is fun, slightly challenging but not overly taxing. Exploration is great, and the puzzles have been cool. Story is pretty interesting so far. I can't quite shake the feeling that the whole thing is a Tomb Raider mod with lightsabers and stormtroopers, but that's kinda what I expected so I don't really consider it a negative.

My only real frustration is when I get hopelessly lost (usually trying to get back to my ship after completing a major zone objective) and end up running in circles for what feels like forever. I totally get the couple reviews that complained about too much backtracking.

So far, so good.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:14 am Got through the first 4-5 hours, and am fairly impressed. Combat is fun, slightly challenging but not overly taxing. Exploration is great, and the puzzles have been cool. Story is pretty interesting so far. I can't quite shake the feeling that the whole thing is a Tomb Raider mod with lightsabers and stormtroopers, but that's kinda what I expected so I don't really consider it a negative.

My only real frustration is when I get hopelessly lost (usually trying to get back to my ship after completing a major zone objective) and end up running in circles for what feels like forever. I totally get the couple reviews that complained about too much backtracking.

So far, so good.
Use the map. It's confusing at first, but it's actually really helpful in finding your way and finding hidden areas. It also tells you what areas are blocked because you don't have the correct abilities yet (red) and what is accessible (green).

Another tip is you can also run past some enemies if you are backtracking or know your way. I run past most animal and bug stuff once I've killed them the first time. They are not worth the time, health and xp unless you absolutely need to kill them.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finally ran into a fight that convinced me to drop the difficulty (from jedi master to jedi knight) and even then I had a hell of a time getting past it. Some sisters are bigger and badder than others.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I need help:
Spoiler:
On eye of the storm I don't have push for the big ball. Am I missing something?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:57 pm I finally ran into a fight that convinced me to drop the difficulty (from jedi master to jedi knight) and even then I had a hell of a time getting past it. Some sisters are bigger and badder than others.
I have dropped 2 fights down from Jedi Master so far. That was one of them.
Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:30 pm I need help:
Spoiler:
I think you need it, so you must have missed the part where you pick it up.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jag wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:33 pm
coopasonic wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:57 pm I finally ran into a fight that convinced me to drop the difficulty (from jedi master to jedi knight) and even then I had a hell of a time getting past it. Some sisters are bigger and badder than others.
I have dropped 2 fights down from Jedi Master so far. That was one of them.
Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:30 pm I need help:
Spoiler:
I think you need it, so you must have missed the part where you pick it up.
Thanks, I found it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Dual bladed lightsaber baby!

Plus I figured out a cheesy trick for the skill impaired:
Spoiler:
If a boss is guarding a blue shiny, you can stun him and grab the shiny. Even if you die you keep the shiny.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. It really feels like lightsaber combat, which is nice!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished it. I went story mode for the last two boss fights. I'm hanging my head in shame. Hell the last one was kind of a bitch even in story mode.

17 hours per Origin and it was pretty close to completionist.

I enjoyed the exploration, platforming and story aspects. I was less impressed with the combat mechanics and wildly varying difficulty. A big part of that is that I didn't make very good use of my jedi powers. I had most everything unlocked at the end, but hardly used any of it in combat.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I find the combat controls on the keyboard to be a clunky. When I try to use a force power I get knocked down. I mapped the SLOW power to the Q key and that helps a bit. I ordered an X-Box controller to try that out, but controllers usually give me carpal thumb syndrome.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I WAS going to wait to buy it on sale. I WAS going to finish Death Stranding first. I WAS ... I WAS ... ... ... I just bought it. :x
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
naednek

Post by naednek »

is this single player only?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

naednek wrote:is this single player only?
Yep. No multiplayer, No DLC, No loot boxes, no season pass.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:06 am Finished it. I went story mode for the last two boss fights. I'm hanging my head in shame. Hell the last one was kind of a bitch even in story mode.
That doesn’t bode well for me. I’m kinda struggling playing through the regular game in story mode. :oops:
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:06 am Finished it. I went story mode for the last two boss fights. I'm hanging my head in shame. Hell the last one was kind of a bitch even in story mode.

17 hours per Origin and it was pretty close to completionist.

I enjoyed the exploration, platforming and story aspects. I was less impressed with the combat mechanics and wildly varying difficulty. A big part of that is that I didn't make very good use of my jedi powers. I had most everything unlocked at the end, but hardly used any of it in combat.
I've been playing the game on Jedi Master, but dropped it down to Jedi Knight on 2 boss fights. There was one insane sequence of fights where I dropped it to story mode because I just didn't feel like fighting waves and waves of enemies again and again. If the save point was closer or it started after you reach a certain point, I would have kept it, but the game is way too punishing in some situations. I have 6 stims and max health, so I'm in a good place health wise.

It will be interesting to watch the post x-mas bitch session. This is not your typical kids fun lightsaber swingy game. I think the non-hardcore gaming players are going to be shocked at how unforgiving this game is.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I could do without the "surfing" segments. They make me feel more like Crash Bandicoot than a bad-ass Jedi.

I do like how new paths open up when you return to previous zones with some new abilities. I'm currently at the Tomb of Miktrull, which has had some pretty interesting puzzles. One was super-frustrating (I didn't realize you could Force Slow a platform), but they've otherwise been quite fun.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:54 am I could do without the "surfing" segments. They make me feel more like Crash Bandicoot than a bad-ass Jedi.
I've been thinking of them as SSX snowboarding sections, and yeah, they seem really out of place. They aren't ruining my enjoyment of the game, but I have yet to come across a snowboarding sequence that made the game more fun.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lightsaber throw is sweet. I have been Jonesing for that ever since I saw the video. But it is kind of misleading since you can't get it until way after that section.

They try to rush you through the main campaign, but I love going back and exploring/owning previous areas. Plus harder enemies will spawn.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

I would have loved this game with an open world aspect like Skyrim. I don't need surfing puzzles, I just need more things to slice with a lightsaber.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I could go for some Jedi Creed: Odyssey in a big way.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Surfing in a Star Wars game? That seems like a really odd design decision. I guess the important thing is if it the game feels enough like SW.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

OK so I got an X-Box controller. Question - how do you rest when you meditate? Don't tell me I have to use the keyboard. :x
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:14 pm OK so I got an X-Box controller. Question - how do you rest when you meditate? Don't tell me I have to use the keyboard. :x
X button I think? I mean it should tell you on the screen...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:42 am
Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:14 pm OK so I got an X-Box controller. Question - how do you rest when you meditate? Don't tell me I have to use the keyboard. :x
X button I think? I mean it should tell you on the screen...
Unfortunately that doesn't work.

At least the controller makes me appreciate the mouse and keyboard. The main problem is the view does not stay centered (I could find no option for this), so I end up looking all over the place when I try to use my hands for fighting and force powers. :grund:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've put about six hours into this game and I think I'm throwing in the towel. It's become more work than fun. Jumping around for 20 minutes to try and solve some puzzle has gotten old. The last time I played one of these games was Knights of the Old Republic. I really enjoyed that one, so either my tastes have changed or it didn't have as much of the puzzle stuff that I'm seeing here. I think I would need about five times the action to keep my interest.

Thanks for the tip to play via Origins Access. That saved me some money.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:46 am The last time I played one of these games was Knights of the Old Republic. I really enjoyed that one, so either my tastes have changed or it didn't have as much of the puzzle stuff that I'm seeing here.
This is a completely different kind of game than the KOTOR games. The Star Wars setting is just about the only thing shared between the two.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Now that I have Origins Access, is there an action-heavy lightsaber game you could recommend?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The good news is that Jedi: Fallen Order has reignited my desire to play games other than Overwatch. I'm going to get a controller for my PC today and download some other stuff, like Mortal Kombat. Now that's a game I haven't played in a long time. A long time.