Jedi: Fallen Order

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Jedi: Fallen Order

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Re: Jedi: Fallen Order

Post by Max Peck »

There is a Twitch livestream scheduled for 1330 CDT.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Stream tanked 5 minutes in with over 60k viewers.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Twitch stream came back up after a couple of minutes. The livestream is also being carried on Youtube.

They went with the cinematic trailer early in the session instead of waiting for the end.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

11/15/2019 - XB1/PS4/PC
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I would prefer something along the lines of Jedi: Outcast as opposed to Knights of the old Republic. And if it happened to have a pile of interesting and varied skill trees like, say, borderlands 2, so much the better.

I want more action than RPG, although character builds are always welcome.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It doesn't sound like it is an RPG, per se. They described it as an action-melee game, with "thoughtful combat" where you need to size up your opponents to identify and exploit weaknesses.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Dark Souls Star Wars?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dark Midichlorians.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:16 pm It doesn't sound like it is an RPG, per se. They described it as an action-melee game, with "thoughtful combat" where you need to size up your opponents to identify and exploit weaknesses.
Dark Nioh: Jarjar dies twice!

Considering I'm having the time of my ever loving frustrating life right now with Nioh, I'm sold!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:42 pm Dark Souls Star Wars?
I would be gorram furious if that happened.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:44 pm
I, on the other hand, would be orgasmic. Jedi practically demand a more sophisticated combat system. I'm not sure about Sekiro (it looks amazing and complex) but Nioh with lightsabres would be a day one purchase probably.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:09 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:44 pm
I, on the other hand, would be orgasmic. Jedi practically demand a more sophisticated combat system. I'm not sure about Sekiro (it looks amazing and complex) but Nioh with lightsabres would be a day one purchase probably.
I’d actually be cool with them making something with a complex combat system for those who enjoy such a thing. As long as they also included an Easy setting for those of us who don’t enjoy throwing our controllers at the screen.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The game may be something else entirely. We'll see when we see I guess.
naednek

Post by naednek »

it's gonna be exclusive on epic store...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

naednek wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:23 pm it's gonna be exclusive on epic store...
Is that a problem? Can you just buy it like anywhere else?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

naednek wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:23 pm it's gonna be exclusive on epic store...
I think it's far more likely for it to be an Origin exclusive.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:44 pm
I think it's far more likely for it to be an Origin exclusive.
Yup (2013)
Electronic Arts and Disney have signed an exclusive, multi-year licensing agreement for EA to publish Star Wars games developed by Visceral Games, DICE and BioWare, the companies announced today.

The agreement covers titles aimed at core gamers on "all interactive platforms"; Disney retains the rights to make casual and social games in the Star Wars universe on mobile devices, tablets and the web. The House of Mouse acquired Lucasfilm and its subsidiary LucasArts for $4.05 billion last October, and closed LucasArts last month.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Of course it's going to be an Origin exclusive at launch, just like every other new EA game. However, it looks like Epic isn't completely out in the cold, since it's an Unreal Engine 4 game.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

It's going to played on the PS4 so the powers that be can fight over PC launcher rights. But I'll wait till reviews are in due to the possibility of the game sucking.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I will be extremely sad if after multiple game cancellations, the only recent singleplayer SW game ends up sucking.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
naednek

Post by naednek »

i guess my sarcasm didn't pass OO :P
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Nah, I think my sarcasm detector was on the fritz. Had to knock myself on the head ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

This can’t be an Epic Store exclusive anyhow, since it’s a free-to-play mobile game with “fun crystals” you can buy to speed up the timers. The best value is 5,000 fun crystals for $499.95!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You know what occured to me? The game has the actor's likeness. To me, in a SW game it seems kind of weird. Since when does having a voice actor mean they have to have the character resemble them?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's not just voice though. He is doing motion capture as well, including facial expressions. Having basically the same face probably makes that easier. It's not a new idea.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

With all the irons Disney has in the fire when it comes to Star Wars, it wouldn't surprise me if they have plans to use the character in a movie or live-action TV show. If that were the case, it would be weird if the character didn't look like the actor.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:58 pm This can’t be an Epic Store exclusive anyhow, since it’s a free-to-play mobile game with “fun crystals” you can buy to speed up the timers. The best value is 5,000 fun crystals for $499.95!
The fun crystals were a nice touch.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:37 pm It's not just voice though. He is doing motion capture as well, including facial expressions. Having basically the same face probably makes that easier. It's not a new idea.
Yeah, I understand the mo-cap part, but there used to be a time when characters were not dependent on the actor's looks, even when mo-capping. Not that it matters terribly much, mind you. Just an observation.

In the last few years, there seemed to be a lot more of this going on, particular in the case with Activision and their Call of Duty games.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
naednek

Post by naednek »

i personally like it when the people playing the characters look similar to them. It just makes their movement and expressions feel natural. Obviously it becomes a problem when the same actor plays different characters for different games.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The more Nioh I play, the more ready I am for a Jedi based dark souls-like.

Fingers crossed.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:29 pm Of course it's going to be an Origin exclusive at launch, just like every other new EA game. However, it looks like Epic isn't completely out in the cold, since it's an Unreal Engine 4 game.
An EA game that wasn't designed on Frostbite? I'm shocked.
Hodor.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:09 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:29 pm Of course it's going to be an Origin exclusive at launch, just like every other new EA game. However, it looks like Epic isn't completely out in the cold, since it's an Unreal Engine 4 game.
From what I've read, a lot of what didn't go wrong here (in contrast to Bioware/Anthem) has to do with the fact that development was well under way before EA acquired Respawn, and that Zampella has enough pull at EA to avoid excessive corporate interference.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:08 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:09 pm
From what I've read, a lot of what didn't go wrong here (in contrast to Bioware/Anthem) has to do with the fact that development was well under way before EA acquired Respawn, and that Zampella has enough pull at EA to avoid excessive corporate interference.
That explains a lot, actually.

Titanfall 2 had a really great campaign, so here's hoping for more goodness from Respawn here.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, thank goodness it was far enough along, otherwise I could see another cancellation on their hands. Make that another SW game cancellation. :doh:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

EA Play 2019 presentation via Twitch, including some gameplay footage.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was hoping for KOTOR and got Jedi Tomb Raider instead. Even the same tight passage scootch move.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:03 pm ...including some gameplay footage.

Gameplay footage starts here, if you aren't interested in the promotional material. Game includes Ghost Dog himself, who I like but can be hit or miss. Jury is still out here.

Something about the look is putting me off. Either the animation, or the lighting. Not sure what, but something. Early game footage so it could change, but probably won't change how it feels, and it feels off somehow.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The true power of the Force
A hands-on report that reveals why Jedi: Fallen Order could be the Star Wars game fans have been waiting for

. . .

I spent two days at Respawn’s Los Angeles studio playing the game and discussing its design with the development team. In my play session and the footage that was shown to me, the spirit of the Star Wars movies is front and center – a driving force that delivers a continual sense of awe in its visuals and sound. At the same time, the Star Wars appeal doesn’t steal away from the gameplay and adventure, which are both equally exciting in ways I didn’t expect. Although Electronic Arts’ marketing teases the message “don’t stand out” for a game about a Jedi on the run, it isn’t a stealth game, and the player won’t be forced to duck into shadows or sneak behind enemies.

The lightsaber ends up doing most of the talking in Jedi: Fallen Order, but it isn’t used in the way you would think. You won’t be swinging it wildly at swarms of enemies, or even in lengthy combo sequences against just one enemy. The team’s vision for the lightsaber action stems from the words “thoughtful combat,” which equates to the player strategizing and looking for openings where the saber can be the most lethal. In a way, the combat dance is reminiscent of From Software’s Souls games, but not in a punishing way. Respawn wants players to succeed, but not without a little effort. The Force is also used to augment combat, allowing the player to mess with enemies in satisfying, clever, and powerful ways.

When the saber is sheathed, Respawn’s vision for the adventure has classic gaming roots and is inspired heavily by the Metroid series, pushing players to freely explore worlds, and come back to them later with new powers that can be used to reach different areas. Never once do players see a waypoint on the screen telling them where their next objective is. Respawn doesn’t want to hold your hand, and instead hopes you plot your own path through dangerous worlds that are teeming with just as much hostile wildlife as heavily armed Imperial Forces.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think thats my biggest gripe with the Tome Raider games....having areas I cant get in or do until much later in the game. I never bother returning so its wasted on me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"