Borderlands 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

stessier

Re: Borderlands 3

Post by stessier »

My wife got me this for my birthday. Wanted to take advantage of the sale, so bought and loaded today. My birthday isn't until the 30th, however. The icon on my desktop is mocking me. :evil:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Hot diggity its out on steam finally, and its a rocking good price for the next few days.

some changes for sure. shotguns sure feel like they got kick now, and SMG are no longer overpowered. (in my opinion) but I only played a couple hours, so that may change.
I sure do like the alternate fire mode, allows for more interesting choices, and I like that.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been through it 3 1/2 times at this point.

Weapons across the board are definitely more balanced, and variations are more about playstyles (well, that and skill synergy) now. Almost anything is viable.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished the second DLC this afternoon. Started out on Mayhem 4 because that is where we left off with the last DLC, dropped it down to mayhem 3 after the first real boss took an hour to defeat (not multiple tries, one try, just that much time to whittle him down).

I am so done with Borderlands for a while.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:18 pm My wife got me this for my birthday. Wanted to take advantage of the sale, so bought and loaded today. My birthday isn't until the 30th, however. The icon on my desktop is mocking me. :evil:
I finally started playing! My computer is from 2015, but it still runs decently (although I can guess I'm missing a lot of particle effects and the like. I'm on low for most settings).

I'm not very far in - I just got my car. Having such a small backpack and only 2 weapons is no fun. I'm seeing a ton more legendary drops compared to all previous versions. Already 6 in only 90-ish minutes of play. Not sure how I feel about that.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:16 pm Finished the second DLC this afternoon. Started out on Mayhem 4 because that is where we left off with the last DLC, dropped it down to mayhem 3 after the first real boss took an hour to defeat (not multiple tries, one try, just that much time to whittle him down).

I am so done with Borderlands for a while.
I've only played about an hour of the SIr Hammerlock DLC, but so far it is heads and tails better than the Moxxi DLC. That one was a slog for me.
FTE
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I love the alternate fire weapons but I really miss the explosive weapons a lot. Not sure why they took those away :(

Otherwise, very much enjoying it. Playing the gunner, Moze with Iron Bear, is just a lot of fun.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Explosive weapons still exist. It's just not an "element" any more. I think all the Torgue guns are still explosive. As are rocket launchers. Look for weapons with +splash damage. Those will definitely be explosive.

Also, radiation is pretty powerful and does a decent job of replacing the old explosive element.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh, and Moze is amazing. And way too OP for the first playthrough. I actually ditched the class mod that gave me more time and less fuel usage. I was clearing rooms with more than half my fuel left. Started to feel pointless. I'm thinking of respec'ing her to focus on splash damage. Though I'd have to give up some of my rockin' elemental weapons.... So maybe not... :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Amara or bust.

I was always the soldier in the first one... at one point I got around to trying the siren in BL2 and I have been Siren's only ever since.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:51 am I finally started playing! My computer is from 2015, but it still runs decently (although I can guess I'm missing a lot of particle effects and the like. I'm on low for most settings).

I'm not very far in - I just got my car. Having such a small backpack and only 2 weapons is no fun. I'm seeing a ton more legendary drops compared to all previous versions. Already 6 in only 90-ish minutes of play. Not sure how I feel about that.
Early legendaries are mostly just a tease since you will out-level them so quickly. I had a level 11 or 12 legendary pistol that I used until like level 25 so sometimes they stick around for a while. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

stessier wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:51 am I'm not very far in - I just got my car. Having such a small backpack and only 2 weapons is no fun. I'm seeing a ton more legendary drops compared to all previous versions. Already 6 in only 90-ish minutes of play. Not sure how I feel about that.
FYI, there is an event currently going on (for another day or so maybe?). That's where all the legendaries are coming from. Once it's over, you'll be back to the regular drop rate. And I assume you won't see them for sale in the vending machines either (or at least very rarely).

Hat tip to Tao who pointed out it was an event.

Oh, and in case folks aren't keeping up, the last week has seen codes for 15 keys. http://orcz.com/Borderlands_3:_Shift_Codes

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh, I will point out that there is a relatively easy-to-get legendary SMG that you can pick up around level 6 in the first area. It's pretty nice. I used that on my first character for ~5 levels at least.
Spoiler:

Black Lives Matter

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

TheMix wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:53 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:51 am I'm not very far in - I just got my car. Having such a small backpack and only 2 weapons is no fun. I'm seeing a ton more legendary drops compared to all previous versions. Already 6 in only 90-ish minutes of play. Not sure how I feel about that.
FYI, there is an event currently going on (for another day or so maybe?). That's where all the legendaries are coming from. Once it's over, you'll be back to the regular drop rate. And I assume you won't see them for sale in the vending machines either (or at least very rarely).
The event is supposedly for co-o only:

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2020 ... oot-drop/

The legendaries in the vending machines is for everyone as long as you are playing on line.

All that said, I've been playing SP and am I finding the loot drops much improved. In the previous games, I hardly ever got legendaries to drop, the best stuff was in the golden chests with SHIFT codes. Now, I always get legendaries with bhe big bosses, and oftentimes with badasses. I've even had two legendaries drop at a time in several instances. It's made the game a lot more fun now that the drops are so much better.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Does the co-op setting apply even when playing solo? Because I'm definitely getting a ton of legendaries now. Granted I didn't have a lot of time before the event started, but enough to say that I had only one legendary up until about level 18 - and that was from a specific mob that has a better than average chance to drop one. Then, a few days/week ago, I suddenly started getting them from almost every badass mob. That started at about the same time that the vending machines started only having one legendary option for sale.

Guess we'll see soon when the event stops. Maybe they improved the drops for everyone. Not sure how I feel about that. I like legendaries, but what's the point of having the other guns then? Well beyond selling them.

Black Lives Matter

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

TheMix wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:52 pm Does the co-op setting apply even when playing solo? Because I'm definitely getting a ton of legendaries now. Granted I didn't have a lot of time before the event started, but enough to say that I had only one legendary up until about level 18 - and that was from a specific mob that has a better than average chance to drop one. Then, a few days/week ago, I suddenly started getting them from almost every badass mob. That started at about the same time that the vending machines started only having one legendary option for sale.

Guess we'll see soon when the event stops. Maybe they improved the drops for everyone. Not sure how I feel about that. I like legendaries, but what's the point of having the other guns then? Well beyond selling them.
Hmm, then maybe it is impacting SP regardless of what they are saying. They specifically say that this of for co-op:
Co-op Loot Drop will switch on via a hotfix today, and is scheduled to run through the full month of April. During the Co-op Loot Drop, all Badass enemies will drop more loot whenever you're playing co-op. It's that simple!
What you describe sounds like the drop rate from the previous games, which I didn't like. They were so rare as to be useless which I didn't like. Maybe they are too common now but 1 in 18 levels? And what if is a weapon type that doesn't fit you character? Anyway, I'm enjoying it now, because I feel like there is a real pay off to beating a boss.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm level 7 and have 12 Legendaries. I only have 2 gun slots. It's kind of nuts. That being said, the Night Hawk is amazing. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I actually wish they'd tone the legendaries down a bit. I started last week with the kids as a 'family activity'. It'll be Caiden's third run, my fifth, and Ian's first. There are so many legendaries that it is causing an end-game problem early on: Drops don't matter. Normally this early on we'd see a purple and get excited. Now we just shrug because we have so many legendaries. It's kind of a letdown.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:49 am I actually wish they'd tone the legendaries down a bit. I started last week with the kids as a 'family activity'. It'll be Caiden's third run, my fifth, and Ian's first. There are so many legendaries that it is causing an end-game problem early on: Drops don't matter. Normally this early on we'd see a purple and get excited. Now we just shrug because we have so many legendaries. It's kind of a letdown.
Exactly!

Though I was actually excited when I found a purple weapon that was worth running with. :D

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wish I could figure out why the game hangs when I try to launch it. The little Borderlands 3 tile pops up then nothing proceeds. I have to kill the game via the STEAM client and the second I hit "Stop", the screen turns black and the intro animations start. Claptrap eventually starts rolling across the screen (loading) but before he gets to the right side, screen flashes and I'm back on the desktop.

I've looked in the STEAM forums and it's a known issue with no reliable fix. I've tried running it through GeForce Experience, but the same thing happens. Either way, when I run it a second time (after that initial weirdness), it immediately launches. Annoying.

Having a blast. I like all the little changes but the low-brain activity involved is just what I need.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Can someone explain to me what happened with Vic? I get the whole VR thing, but I don't get what happened when I got out of the VR.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:08 pm Can someone explain to me what happened with Vic? I get the whole VR thing, but I don't get what happened when I got out of the VR.
Spoiler:
I'm not sure exactly what element you're referring to. She was Vaughn's lieutenant. He convinces her to join the Raiders. The other element is that her head was kept alive while her consciousness was in VR. When she's freed, it transports her consciousness into a new body, which leaves the head still alive, and now awake. It effectively cloned her. She and her head begin a friendship. Remember, Borderlands logic.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:16 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:08 pm Can someone explain to me what happened with Vic? I get the whole VR thing, but I don't get what happened when I got out of the VR.
Spoiler:
I'm not sure exactly what element you're referring to. She was Vaughn's lieutenant. He convinces her to join the Raiders. The other element is that her head was kept alive while her consciousness was in VR. When she's freed, it transports her consciousness into a new body, which leaves the head still alive, and now awake. It effectively cloned her. She and her head begin a friendship. Remember, Borderlands logic.
Spoiler:
Ah, thanks - I didn't understand the cloning part. Maybe I was distracted, but all I saw was "Vic" talking to her own head. And it looked like the same person, so I couldn't figure out what was going on.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Playing LG&T and noticed yesterday that legendary's are dropping like greens. Is there an event going on?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

WYBaugh wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:15 pm Playing LG&T and noticed yesterday that legendary's are dropping like greens. Is there an event going on?
Yep, please see above :)
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Grifman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:01 pm
WYBaugh wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:15 pm Playing LG&T and noticed yesterday that legendary's are dropping like greens. Is there an event going on?
Yep, please see above :)
My bad!!! Thank you sir!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Heh, Gearbox played an April Fool's joke today. I don't know about other characters but when my Moze gets into Iron Bear, he's shrunken down to about ankle high. I used that to my advantage in a mini-boss fight where literally shot him in the ankles underneath his shield. Made a tough fight easy. But on the down side, I couldn't get up three step inside a bandit camp, had to get out of Iron Bear just to climb the steps :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grifman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:40 pm Heh, Gearbox played an April Fool's joke today. I don't know about other characters but when my Moze gets into Iron Bear, he's shrunken down to about ankle high. I used that to my advantage in a mini-boss fight where literally shot him in the ankles underneath his shield. Made a tough fight easy. But on the down side, I couldn't get up three step inside a bandit camp, had to get out of Iron Bear just to climb the steps :)
Yeah, but at least you didn't get stuck on every doorway!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Ahhhhhhhhh.... :doh:

That's why my pets were so small.

Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Grifman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:40 pm Heh, Gearbox played an April Fool's joke today. I don't know about other characters but when my Moze gets into Iron Bear, he's shrunken down to about ankle high. I used that to my advantage in a mini-boss fight where literally shot him in the ankles underneath his shield. Made a tough fight easy. But on the down side, I couldn't get up three step inside a bandit camp, had to get out of Iron Bear just to climb the steps :)
Weird, I played Moze today and we seemed normal sized in the Bear.
naednek

Post by naednek »

stessier wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:30 am
That's because today isn't April fools...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
stessier

Post by stessier »

naednek wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:16 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:30 am
That's because today isn't April fools...
I meant April 1. But I think it has to do with where the servers are. I played from 4-6am EDT and was regular sized on April 1. When I played from 4-6am on April 2nd, I was tiny sized.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Killivolt was a fun mission. :)
stessier

Post by stessier »

I liked the Monks - very peaceful place. Well, now it is anyway. :D
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rhy-Sphere. :D
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rhys is my kind of humor.

Vault opened!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Two questions:

1) I just figured out how to read the mail that the companies have been sending all this time. They really didn't explain that well at all. Anyway, can I use those guns things between characters? I'm pretty happy with my current load out and was thinking of using them to boost future builds.

2) Is there any reason to save Eridium? It seems like the only thing to spend it on is skins.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Not sure about #2. I'm just saving it so far. Though I believe you can also get guns from the machine next to Earl.

As for #1, the bank in your "stateroom" is shared between all of your characters. So anything you put in there will be accessible to other characters (once they reach the ship, of course).

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:01 pm Not sure about #2. I'm just saving it so far. Though I believe you can also get guns from the machine next to Earl.
Eridium in BL3 is not nearly as useful as it was in previous games. There is a slot machine at Moxxie's that uses Eridum as well as the ending machine by Earl's and obviously Earls skins. I have around 5k and never go out of my way to get more.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:59 pm
TheMix wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:01 pm Not sure about #2. I'm just saving it so far. Though I believe you can also get guns from the machine next to Earl.
Eridium in BL3 is not nearly as useful as it was in previous games. There is a slot machine at Moxxie's that uses Eridum as well as the ending machine by Earl's and obviously Earls skins. I have around 5k and never go out of my way to get more.
Skins, heads, decor, etc, the slot machine, Earl's vending machine, plus a certain item you get late in the story that effectively gives you a way to turn eridium into cash.
Spoiler:
Eridium fabricator