Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

Post by Max Peck »

Dev Diary #10
February and March have been intense, for many reasons. Like many others in the US and around the world, the COVID-19 outbreak has changed how we work in the last few weeks. To help mitigate this unprecedented illness, our developers are all working from home. We have provided infrastructure and hardware support for that to happen, as well as provided more tools and procedures to help facilitate communication. The biggest challenge to us has been the separation. We shockingly like each other in this studio and have found it a little difficult not to be able to hang out during the week. But we also want to keep our developers and their families safe, so this is a small price to pay. The new working from home paradigm seems to be agreeing with people, and development is proceeding from the comfort of our own homes.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im surprised no one has come out with a game where you have to stay home, avoid people coming over, yet still get out to buy essentials as they run out and not get sick.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:26 pm Im surprised no one has come out with a game where you have to stay home, avoid people coming over, yet still get out to buy essentials as they run out and not get sick.
I think you just described State of Decay. :lol:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Delayed to 2021:

(can't quote image)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

"Organizational changes" - is that some weird way to say the project was mismanaged?
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I've always had the impression that Paradox aren't exactly the easiest publisher to work with.
I no longer post here.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:21 am "Organizational changes" - is that some weird way to say the project was mismanaged?
I'm far more inclined to read Coronavirus into that. Both technical hurdles AND the possibility that key players may have gotten infected.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:23 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:21 am "Organizational changes" - is that some weird way to say the project was mismanaged?
I'm far more inclined to read Coronavirus into that. Both technical hurdles AND the possibility that key players may have gotten infected.
Maybe but every software house just came out and said it. Why didn't they just blame COVID-19 outright? My corporate intrigue-sense says they are sending some message here and it might not even be to the fans.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I presumed that work was going slower with the team distancing and working from home. Also, maybe they didn't want to go head to head with the Cyberpunk 2077 juggernaut.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:33 pm
Maybe but every software house just came out and said it. Why didn't they just blame COVID-19 outright? My corporate intrigue-sense says they are sending some message here and it might not even be to the fans.
Seeing as how I was following up on a support issue with one of our vendors and got an "indefinite" OOO email message today just before I posted, I did have it on the brain.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:26 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:33 pm
Seeing as how I was following up on a support issue with one of our vendors and got an "indefinite" OOO email message today just before I posted, I did have it on the brain.
Oh totally. The more I think about it the more it sounds like they are doing the Corporate thing of signaling that they are acknowledging a failure. I think was a message to the investors in other words. Essentially you don't get close to release date and blame it on the thing that started in March. They had adequate time to plan for and adjust the release if needed be. I also agree with Hrothgar that they are avoiding the release of competing AAA games and the PS5 dropping too.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Paradox Interactive streamed their second quarter interim this morning. I didn't watch the entire thing, but I did see that Ebba Ljungerud briefly addressed the Bloodlines 2 delay, attributing it partly to COVID-19 making it difficult to work with the developer as closely as they wanted and partly to the game simply not being ready for release.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So, about those organizational changes...

An Update on the Organizational Changes for Bloodlines 2
Hi everyone,

Paradox Interactive and Hardsuit Labs have some important updates to share today. We recently shared that we were making some organizational changes to the Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 team, as promised, we will now give an update on what that means.

Lead Narrative Designer Brian Mitsoda and Creative Director Ka’ai Cluney are no longer part of the team at Hardsuit Labs. This was a joint decision made by the leadership of Hardsuit Labs and Paradox Interactive.

We appreciate, and value, the contributions of Brian and Ka’ai, which were instrumental in establishing the game's storyline and dark tone and have helped to ensure that we are making a true successor to the iconic Bloodlines. We wish them both the best in their future endeavors.

With that, we are excited to announce that Alexandre Mandryka has come aboard as Creative Consultant, filling the Creative Director role for Bloodlines 2, and will help us in the final stages of development. Alexandre is committed to following the vision that is in place, and successfully bringing Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 to the fans.

Alexandre has been in the industry for more than 20 years and has worked on iconic franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Warhammer 40,000, Far Cry, and more. With a long history of shipping excellent franchises, we are excited with what Alexandre brings to the game and the World of Darkness.

These changes to the team are focused on one thing: to bring you the best possible Vampire: The Masquerade game. We will share further updates as they occur.

We thank you all for understanding.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If anyone is surprised, I'd be amazed:
We have now chosen to postpone the release of [Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2] further, and we will not be launching the game in 2021. We have also decided that Hardsuit Labs will no longer be leading the development of Bloodlines 2, and we have started a collaboration with a new studio partner to finish work on the game. This has been a difficult decision, but we are convinced that it is the right way forward to do the game justice.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im surprised its not totally dead yet.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Undead
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:56 am If anyone is surprised, I'd be amazed:
I guess you could say I am surprised, but mostly because I've been paying no attention.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:56 am If anyone is surprised, I'd be amazed:
We have now chosen to postpone the release of [Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2] further, and we will not be launching the game in 2021. We have also decided that Hardsuit Labs will no longer be leading the development of Bloodlines 2, and we have started a collaboration with a new studio partner to finish work on the game. This has been a difficult decision, but we are convinced that it is the right way forward to do the game justice.
Anytime a project shakes up teams mid-stride, then gets delayed, and then moves to a new developer with more delays I get goosebumps because I know the resulting product will be a shitstorm of epic proportions and lots of great "WTF" videos will come up on YouTube when it's released.

We all know how this ends. I suppose, though, there's a sliver of a chance that the game is released and will be "Okay" 6-12 months after release.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:26 am Im surprised its not totally dead yet.
The only explanation I can think of is that Paradox paid a lot for this IP. Which is why whoever was in charge of this at Paradox has a lot of explaining to do. Start with how the decision to go with Hardsuit in the first place was made...

Oh...also, Hardsuit's web page is down. Not shocking since it might as well be running a 90s 'Under Construction' marquee since this was all they had.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

From a guy who works at Paradox:
ShamsJorjani wrote:Alexa: How do you un-announce a game?

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

malchior wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:06 pm Oh...also, Hardsuit's web page is down. Not shocking since it might as well be running a 90s 'Under Construction' marquee since this was all they had.
Their site is back up, but they've scrubbed Bloodlines from it. Their "Games" link still goes to a Bloodlines URL, but throws a 404 error.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:38 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:06 pm Oh...also, Hardsuit's web page is down. Not shocking since it might as well be running a 90s 'Under Construction' marquee since this was all they had.
Their site is back up, but they've scrubbed Bloodlines from it. Their "Games" link still goes to a Bloodlines URL, but throws a 404 error.
I can only imagine what a rough day they had today. I wouldn't be surprised if a good part of the team was "walked out".
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Arise!

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 has been quietly rebuilt by Dear Esther developer The Chinese Room
This certainly isn't what I expected. The troubled Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2, which I'd just about given up on, is now set to release next fall, over four years after its initial intended launch. Paradox Interactive has tapped The Chinese Room, developer of Dear Esther and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, as the studio to bring the fraught RPG across the finish line.

"Fraught" doesn't really begin to describe Bloodlines 2. The sequel to Troika's 2004 cult classic (and one of my very favorite games) was initially supposed to come out in March 2020. Its first major delay came with the news that lead writer Brian Mitsoda (who also had a big hand in the original game) and creative director Ka'ai Cluney had been fired. Developer Hardsuit Labs was taken off the project entirely, and the game was delayed indefinitely in 2021.

The Chinese Room was brought in shortly after that, it's now been revealed. Ahead of today's news, I had the chance to talk to Paradox Interactive VP of World of Darkness (the broader setting of Vampire: The Masquerade) Sean Greaney, as well as Alex Skidmore, creative director of Bloodlines 2. After speaking to them, I remain uncomfortably in the dark about what happened to Hardsuit Labs' version of Bloodlines 2, but I came away excited for The Chinese Room's vision for Vampire: the Masquerade.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A dev change and double the expected times usually never bodes well.

Is that Miley Cyrus in the trailer music?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It sounds like the original version of the game is essentially dead, and the new developer is doing their own thing, using whatever assets from the original project that were of use to them. They're probably better positioned to deliver a good game that way than they would be if they were trying to fix what had already been built. In that sense, this is more like a new project than a continuation of the one that was put on ice back in '21.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The game is still undead...

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Don't know why but I'm really loving that rapid punch move.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats really nothing like the first game. I was expecting a first person view shooter action game rpg. Like the first one. This looks more like a Telltales adventure story game mixed with some trippy puzzle solving actioner. Its weird.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Also the guy that talk nonstop to her is annoying.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:53 am Also the guy that talk nonstop to her is annoying.
I'm not sure if the whole game is like that or it it's just a feature of the particular mission that they were using for the demo.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:11 am I was expecting a first person view shooter action game rpg.
From that video, that's exactly what it looked like to me.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:26 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:11 am I was expecting a first person view shooter action game rpg.
From that video, that's exactly what it looked like to me.
Yeah, that looks pretty excellent to me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, I don't see a "telltale adventure game" in that clip at all. It's pretty much pure fps rpg just like the first one.
He won. Period.