Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

wonderpug

Re: Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Post by wonderpug »

I can't wait for the modding tools to be released:

(This is a pitch Double Damage put together using presumably the same game engine.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New patch:
Believe it or not, we’re not even sick of patching of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. Today’s changes focus on interface, art, and squishing bugs. This patch is 40MB providing your game was previously up to date. Need help with an issue? Check our Support Page for common answers, or pop by our Discord for more intense troubleshooting.

TECHNICAL
*Players can now select full 4k resolution range properly even with display scaling, both in Fullscreen/Windowed Fullscreen. Hurray! Thanks for your patience on this.

BALANCE
*Nerfed Infected Blockade mission
*Enemy swarm missile reload time doubled

INTERFACE
*Mining Laser shows proper GJ/s display for power drain in equipment bay
*Fixed a spelling issue in Beluga description. Yes, we FINALLY fixed it.
*KB/M controls now also ‘block’ held/released events on a menu state change (like gamepad/joystick do) to prevent issues like firing missiles on completion of a buddy summon.

ART
*Some fancy new projectile artwork
*Fixed an NPC’s collar weighting
*Fixed a clipping spinning station chunk in Topeka concourse.

BUGS
*Fixed a corner-case where you could have an invisible bounty retrieval after failing or abandoning but then picking them up anyway. If you were stuck with this mysteriously used slot, they will now re-expose themselves in your hold if they were in that state, no action required.
*Fixed a pool issue where you could manage to fire a ‘move ball’ event while the cue was in motion for a strike.
*Fixed rare corner-case crash involving an automated mission-docking when the player managed to get to sublight just as it occurred. But it was kinda funny while it lasted.

MISC
*Altered phrasing on some scouting missions not to imply that targets must be killed.
*FIVE &#@%ING SHIPS are actually nine. There’s always been nine, but people seem confused, so we’re adding a reminder here.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New info from Double Damage: Painting Tool Tips and Tricks!
We’re pleased to see how many players are enjoying the paint tool inside Rebel Galaxy Outlaw! We’ve compiled a few tips for the most common questions we receive regarding making your ship the prettiest or scariest ship in the universe.

*First and easiest lesson: there is no wrong way to paint a ship. Colour, decals, textures…crude drawings…it’s your ship, do what you want with it.
ImageImage

Recreate familiar faces from movies or other video games!
Or choose a completely unique look!

*To quickly change the struts colors, Add a Structure Mask (Layer menu, Add structure Mask Layer), go into Texture view mode (Ctrl+T) choose default paint mode, select a large brush, choose a color, and set the blend mode to “Hue”. Then simply paint over the orange areas in the texture. the struts will change to that color. The rest of the layer overly is gray, and thus unaffected.

*Switched ships and want to recover a paintjob – or downloaded a paintjob and want to apply it? To apply a texture, load the paintshop, click on the dropdown menu of the layer window (middle-far-right) and select “Import to Layer”. Then find and load your desired texture. The texture used must be for the same ship type you currently have loaded.

*Control-T (CTRL-T) moves you to the ship’s texture map and back – you may find it handy to paint precise, small areas and anything you haven’t yet painted!

We also have a video going over the Painting Tool in general:

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just took on an Average difficulty mission with a nicely kitted out Sonora and got my ass handed to me, twice :shock:

Should I be using that Sandflea, Sandbox, whatever the hell it's called? Would it make that much of a difference?

By the way, still loving the game. I like how a number of scripted missions have appeared, it make the game more fun when there is some diversity to the missions.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm I just took on an Average difficulty mission with a nicely kitted out Sonora and got my ass handed to me, twice :shock:

Should I be using that Sandflea, Sandbox, whatever the hell it's called? Would it make that much of a difference?
Totally depends how your ship is kitted out. I have done a bunch of missions marked as average using the second ship with 3x gauss rifles, no ECM, no missiles and destroyed everything. It depends what you got and what enemies show up.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks!

Also, I'm having very mixed results with the "Rumors" notes. I've upgraded my scanner to the best possible on my Sonora, but I'm still finding nothing more often than something. Is that other people's experience?
raydude

Post by raydude »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:27 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm I just took on an Average difficulty mission with a nicely kitted out Sonora and got my ass handed to me, twice :shock:

Totally depends how your ship is kitted out. I have done a bunch of missions marked as average using the second ship with 3x gauss rifles, no ECM, no missiles and destroyed everything. It depends what you got and what enemies show up.
I've been getting by on mild risk missions w/ the starter ship, gauss gun, autocannon and dumbfire missiles. I can hold my own in Average risk pirate seiges, especially if there are NPC ships helping out. Completing the first few story missions also earns a wingman you can call on who is decent enough. He helped me get out of a few scrapes.

Got enough money to buy the Sonora. Will try that out and see how it goes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Don't forget to play pool for nice items you cant afford early on.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
raydude

Post by raydude »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:08 pm Don't forget to play pool for nice items you cant afford early on.
Speaking of, I was in a pool game with a 6400 pot and heat seeking missiles thrown in. I was solids and sank everything but the 8-ball while Shirley (let's just call her Shirley) had 4 balls still out. The 8-ball was on the bumper so I hit it at an angle to get it out. Sank the cue ball and lost the game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

raydude wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:23 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:08 pm Don't forget to play pool for nice items you cant afford early on.
Speaking of, I was in a pool game with a 6400 pot and heat seeking missiles thrown in. I was solids and sank everything but the 8-ball while Shirley (let's just call her Shirley) had 4 balls still out. The 8-ball was on the bumper so I hit it at an angle to get it out. Sank the cue ball and lost the game.
Shirley is better at other types of pool:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Why when I play these types of games where I can be good or evil, on the dark side or the light, I always end up as a goody two shoes?

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:32 pm Why when I play these types of games where I can be good or evil, on the dark side or the light, I always end up as a goody two shoes?

Because it makes next to no sense to attack friendlies, save friendlies, attack friendlies, save friendlies, etc in order to stay in the middle, and often going dark makes for a harder game with fewer options. Depends on the game.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Flying the Sonora is nice, thanks to the 3 weapon hardpoints up front. Jackrabbits and Coachwhips melt like butter when I do a head-on pass. It helps that I finally paid attention to the weapon ranges. For some reason I thought my gauss cannons were only good up to 3km so I've been holding my fire until then. Now I open up at 5km (to let my combat laser get into the mix).

AZDEs can survive a frontal pass, but when I get on their tail I send a dumbfire missile up the butt and follow it up with all three guns and that's all she wrote.

Something cool I noticed last night:
Was on a deep patrol and one sector was in an asteroid field. I noticed some gold ore and diamonds just floating around at the edge of the field so I high tailed it over there to grab it. Then I hear and see some blue laser fire and then the translucent glow of a tractor beam. Turns out an NPC mining ship was mining the asteroid! I didn't experiment to see if he would aggro if I stole his ore, but that's something to think about for next time.

I'm wondering if that's also what happened to a missing space pilot I had once after a pirate seige. During the battle I went to the tactical display, saw two ejected pilots and went for the closer one. I figured I would get the farther one after the battle. After killing the last pirate I went back to tactical and couldn't find the other ejected pilot. There were several merc ships that also fought, and now I'm wondering if one of them grabbed the pilot with a tractor beam.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

raydude wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:18 am I'm wondering if that's also what happened to a missing space pilot I had once after a pirate seige. During the battle I went to the tactical display, saw two ejected pilots and went for the closer one. I figured I would get the farther one after the battle. After killing the last pirate I went back to tactical and couldn't find the other ejected pilot. There were several merc ships that also fought, and now I'm wondering if one of them grabbed the pilot with a tractor beam.
My Sandhawk has limited cargo capacity and captured pilots pay less than pilfered cargo, so I hope they have snacks with them :twisted:

Playing this game makes me thing a bit about Silent Hunter III, which supposedly had a dynamic campaign system which actually had ships moving about in the ocean which your sub would run into, rather than generating random encounters. I wonder how RGO does its random encounters, such as when I'm going through a solar system from A to B and bump into some ships? Is it a SH3 dynamic system, or just a random number roller?
morlac

Post by morlac »

Paingod wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:54 am
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:32 pm Why when I play these types of games where I can be good or evil, on the dark side or the light, I always end up as a goody two shoes?

Because it makes next to no sense to attack friendlies, save friendlies, attack friendlies, save friendlies, etc in order to stay in the middle, and often going dark makes for a harder game with fewer options. Depends on the game.
I sometimes like to harass freighters till they drop something shiny to make me go away. No harm, no foul as long as the cops don't witness it. Other times, I've come across a Freighter getting attacked and just kinda cruise around watching. I'm not aggro to the pirates and they don't seem to care about the container the freighter dropped when he blew up. I just scope it up and fly on, thanks pirates! Occasionally, I'll even jump in assist a freighter getting attacked, if they ask nicely and it looks like I can win :).

Not really evil but not really nice; I like to play as an opportunist.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another day, another patch :D
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw Release version 1.12

INTERFACE
*You can now view price histories and services for any station from the Sector Map – on-station, in PDA, and in-flight. Should be very useful for trade!

BALANCE
*Blood Eagle can now use Mk4 Power Plant and Mk3 Shields
*Sequoia can now use Mk3 Shields
*Mission relative difficulty calculations have been reworked – missions should no longer show as Low or Mild Risk as early based on your equipment.
*Several early story mission risk approximations were altered to better reflect their difficulty

BUGS
*Further protections against ever spawning inside a ship
*Fixed a corner case where sometimes autopilot could bring you out into atmospheric burn due to rearrangement to avoid other objects
*In Sim & Old-School modes, mining lasers should not have full aim assist

MISC
*Updated various translations. Thanks to the German and Russian players who have brought these to our attention. If you spot others, please pop by the Discord with a screenshot and an explanation so we can explore further.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I guess I don't understand about turrets. I've noticed the Durston has two turrets. Are they automated? I had a turret on the Sonora and only used it for the mining laser and after I quit mining I put a small weapon there and never thought about it again. If I get a Durston will the turrets automatically target hostiles?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I have a repair droid and I'm not sure I'm liking the trade-off of power usage. While it is nice to have something to slowly fix damaged systems, it ends up using power right at a time when I need all my power for engines/weapons/shields. I haven't found a way to de-activate it while flying, so I'm uninstalled it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:52 pm I guess I don't understand about turrets. I've noticed the Durston has two turrets. Are they automated? I had a turret on the Sonora and only used it for the mining laser and after I quit mining I put a small weapon there and never thought about it again. If I get a Durston will the turrets automatically target hostiles?
Turrets automatically fire. The top turret on the Durston is easier to spot firing since it can reach targets in front of you, but the bottom turret is kind of below and behind so you’ll never see its shots fire.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive seen a video with a turret on top firing and taking out ships on its own.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Now with more patches than a college professor's tweed coat!
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw Release version 1.13

INTERFACE
*Sector Map (and thus price histories) are now also viewable from the commodities market
*Surrender Contraband option shows first in the list for police comms when available.
*Mouse cursor is hidden during intro video, and during conversations if no dialog options are currently available for selection

BALANCE
*Blood Eagle price raised from 210,000 to 330,000 to reflect its new greatness.

BUGS
*Fixed another weird issue with failing Sharky’s bounty and re-upping the mission
*Billiards player on Chancey was using incorrect in-game quips.
*Manatchie properly has mercenaries instead of cops around it
*Bonnaire properly has mercenaries instead of cops around it

MISC
*EMP Javelin now sells for 0 credits. Maybe folks won’t sell it!
*Some minor translation changes. Thanks again to everyone who brings these to our attention!
*Minor tweaks to some hardpoint locations on the Dingo.
I haven't seen a Blood Eagle yet, so damn :cry:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

It's gonna be awesome when it gets to Steam!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:28 pm It's gonna be awesome when it gets to Steam!
They are contractually obligated to release it on steam with the same issues it had when released on epic and to pace the fixes at the same rate to recreate the Epic release experience.

/s
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:11 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:52 pm I guess I don't understand about turrets. I've noticed the Durston has two turrets. Are they automated? I had a turret on the Sonora and only used it for the mining laser and after I quit mining I put a small weapon there and never thought about it again. If I get a Durston will the turrets automatically target hostiles?
Turrets automatically fire. The top turret on the Durston is easier to spot firing since it can reach targets in front of you, but the bottom turret is kind of below and behind so you’ll never see its shots fire.
Turrets auto-fire, except for the Mining Laser turret - I've read that does not automatically fire. Which is a bummer if true, because I had hopes of using that to streamline the mining workload: scan, fly close, turret auto-mines, scoop up and run. Alas, it wasn't meant to be...
-something witty-
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I tried the Dunston, but freighting just isn't enough of a draw for me. I considered going back to the Sandhawk, but I always felt like I was missing out on taking cargo after a battle because of the limited hold size. So just like Goldilocks, I found happiness in a Sonora (isn't that how it went?). I figure someday I'll upgrade to the Coyote for the big battles, but the Sonora seems good enough now. Also it helps that I now understand the whole turret concept so I now have a Tracer turret back there. In fact I've pretty much kitted the Sonora up to the max, although I'm sure I'll play with the three forward weapon loadout.

Oh, the other thing about the Sandhawk is that the loadout I had meant that during a battle I had to soon switch to Staggered firing since I was using too much power, and that was with the auto-repair removed. When I went back to the Coyote I had plenty of power.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can you still order 3d models of your ship and has anyone done that?
naednek

Post by naednek »

so how do you mine... i bought a mining laser. scanned the area found some asteroids with resources, got close up and used the laser on the rock, but nothing happens. I see pieces falling off, but nothing is ever collected.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

naednek wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:07 am so how do you mine... i bought a mining laser. scanned the area found some asteroids with resources, got close up and used the laser on the rock, but nothing happens. I see pieces falling off, but nothing is ever collected.
You have to use a mining laser, and then once the pieces break off you should see the green text in the upper right area of the screen that lists the resource name to press the button to tractor it in. Oh, with that said, you need a tractor beam component too!
-something witty-
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

You have to lase specific parts of the asteroid. They look like an illuminated crosshatch and they only appear if you are close and then do a scan. I'll try to find an image and post it.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

-something witty-
naednek

Post by naednek »

thanks i'll take a look
raydude

Post by raydude »

After noticing the NPS miners tractoring the ore they mine I noticed more instances of NPC mining:

Police ships will tractor contraband after a battle with pirates
Pirates will tractor stuff their mates leave behind when their wingmen get blown up

Also discovered two new quest lines and am having fun with those. And am trying to visit stations in most of the systems to get a better idea of who the sellers and buyers are. And found a 470k mission to deliver find/buy and deliver 11 alien artifacts to Merlin! So far I can't seem to find a system that produces alien artifacts, so I'll just keep an eye out for bounty and slowly but surely get to 11 while I do all the other missions.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Anyone else buy a space station? I managed to talk the robot down to $50k, I was saving up to buy a ship, but figured why not. Not sure if you can add to the space station to earn money. Kid was talking in the background so I'm not sure what the details were when I made the purchase.
raydude

Post by raydude »

naednek wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:32 am Anyone else buy a space station? I managed to talk the robot down to $50k, I was saving up to buy a ship, but figured why not. Not sure if you can add to the space station to earn money. Kid was talking in the background so I'm not sure what the details were when I made the purchase.
Yup. The bot will give you quests to upgrade the station, which themselves give some benefits. First upgrade allows you to accept missions from within station. Station missions pay out at 20% more than other similar missions. Not saying more, but yes it does benefit to upgrade the station beyond the first upgrade.
naednek

Post by naednek »

LAME...

I booted up epic games and it says there was a mismatch on my rebel galaxy outlaw save games and to choose which save to use. I chose the newest one... Booted up the game, and now my save games are gone... Have to start over after playing over 20 hours....
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

naednek wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:36 pm LAME...

I booted up epic games and it says there was a mismatch on my rebel galaxy outlaw save games and to choose which save to use. I chose the newest one... Booted up the game, and now my save games are gone... Have to start over after playing over 20 hours....
Oof. That's brutal.

Have you tried asking for help on Discord or emailing the developer?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Interesting article on Gamasutra, Designing the satisfying space combat of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
Space combat simulators have been a staple of video and computer games since the beginning. From Spacewar! to Elite to No Man's Sky, as technology has advanced, the genre has seen all kinds of approaches to flight combat design.

Enter Double Damage's Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, the recently-released sequel to 2015's well-received Rebel Galaxy. According to Double Damage co-founder Travis Baldree, Outlaw is a “sci-fi/blue-collar pulp fiction in space,” closer to “the punchy fireballs-and-oil aesthetic of Mad Max" than “the elegance and futurism of most science fiction.”

This same punchiness defines the moment-to-moment experience of playing Outlaw. It’s less than 15 minutes from the animated introduction before the player -- as the scarred and sardonic Juno Markev -- is trading shots with pirates, weaving and barrel-rolling from the cockpit of a space junker while guitar solos shred from the radio.

“We still wanted that early feel of being down on your luck, hard up for cash, and scrambling for an advantage that’s intrinsic to classic Privateer and blue-collar crime fiction," said Baldree. "But the explosions and weapons fire should still feel innately satisfying even if you’ve only got two credits to rub together.”
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Haven't read the whole thread, but I am getting some serious Privateer vibes from some of the posts. If that's the case, I may just get this right now. I loved Rebel Galaxy, and I'm assuming it's the same thing but with a smaller ship, pretty much?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its basically Privateer from all the videos Ive seen....4 ships, bars, story, pirates, take bounties / side missions / deliver goods...ya Privateer. Watch a couple lets play videos or review videos you'll see.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

It's completely a love letter to Privateer. If you like Privateer or Freelancer type games, and you loved the first Rebel Galaxy, it's pretty much a guarantee you'll love this.