Blood Bowl 2 League - looking for players

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El Guapo

Blood Bowl 2 League - looking for players

Post by El Guapo »

Some friends and I (including NickAragua) have been playing in a Blood Bowl 2 league, and we're looking to see if anyone else wants to join. I think most people here are familiar with Blood Bowl, but just in case it's basically turn-based football / rugby in the Warhammer universe - you get a set number of turns to get the football into the endzone, and all the while you try to maim and kill opposing players.

In general the way the league works is that everyone plays one match a week in a round-robin league, so everyone plays everyone once. Then the teams finishing in the top half advance to a single-elimination playoff, and the winner gets all the prestige that comes with winning a small computer game based league.

Let me know if you're interested. As it happens Blood Bowl 2 is on sale now -
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Re: Blood Bowl 2 League - looking for players

Post by NickAragua »

I was initially quite unhappy when this was announced, still being pissed off about the first one, but I have to give credit where credit is due - this game is a pretty solid translation of the tabletop game. Animations are good, almost no bugs, and they've done a good job with their network code this time around. They've got most of the tabletop teams out at this point as well, although probably 2/3 of them are DLC. But you don't need to buy the DLC to play against them, and since they're just using straight up tabletop mechanics, the teams are pretty well balanced.

Except for the halflings and goblins, but that's to be expected.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My main issue with the first one outside of the gameplay problems was some sort of heavy handed DRM that I can't even remember now.

I never played the tabletop but I have always loved the idea. That you guys are playing in a league is even more cool.

Unfortunately I don't own it and don't foresee picking it up in the near future. I'd love to hear some AAR's if you are so inclined at some point.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm interested but I'm a little worried that I'd be able to keep the schedule.
Before I decide, about how long does the average game take? Is there a way to pause/save a game and come back to it or am I committed to finishing it in one sitting?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Archinerd wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:18 am I'm interested but I'm a little worried that I'd be able to keep the schedule.
Before I decide, about how long does the average game take? Is there a way to pause/save a game and come back to it or am I committed to finishing it in one sitting?
The typical game is a shade under 2 hours - I'd put the average at something like 1 hour 45 minutes. Schedule-wise we aim for one game a week-ish, though we're accommodating for people's schedules (as long as the relevant coaches schedule a time, I don't care too much whether it's within a week or not). For online matches there is a pause feature, although not a save and reload feature (e.g., the match can be temporarily paused if one coach has an interruption, but it has to be finished in one sitting).

If you'd like we typically do a two-match "preseason" where people can play a match or two against any other coaches in the league, and then those teams can either be carried over into the season or replaced with a new team. If you want to try it out you could make a team and play in a match or two and see if you like it.
Black Lives Matter.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I know this thread is for MP, but how is the AI in this one now?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Freyland wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:59 am I know this thread is for MP, but how is the AI in this one now?
It's fine for beginners, but can't really keep up once you know what you're doing.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 pm I was initially quite unhappy when this was announced, still being pissed off about the first one, but I have to give credit where credit is due - this game is a pretty solid translation of the tabletop game. Animations are good, almost no bugs, and they've done a good job with their network code this time around. They've got most of the tabletop teams out at this point as well, although probably 2/3 of them are DLC. But you don't need to buy the DLC to play against them, and since they're just using straight up tabletop mechanics, the teams are pretty well balanced.

Dammit. Didn't I just yell at Archinerd to
Stop it!
The cost of DLC will be make or break for me when I get home, though the idea of joining and failing at a league just sound great.

I was very much annoyed with my last iteration of BloodBowl. It seemed like a cashgrab. Even thought it was Steam activated it only had 3 installs before the license was killed. They kept releasing new versions of the game with additional content, which is an even worse model than nickel and diming you with planned small regular DLC. And it was buggy.

I haven't touched the game since then. I played a few OOers back then and discovered how badly I suck at the game when compared to people who have studied it. Tiny example, while I have always handled AI very well, I never knew what a "Cage" was until playing against OOers (probably El Guapo). And now all these years later, I remember the concept but I'd have no idea how it executes without losing a game or two first.

1) Can you post what the commitment to a league would be like?
2) When do you want an answer by?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:03 am
NickAragua wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 pm I was initially quite unhappy when this was announced, still being pissed off about the first one, but I have to give credit where credit is due - this game is a pretty solid translation of the tabletop game. Animations are good, almost no bugs, and they've done a good job with their network code this time around. They've got most of the tabletop teams out at this point as well, although probably 2/3 of them are DLC. But you don't need to buy the DLC to play against them, and since they're just using straight up tabletop mechanics, the teams are pretty well balanced.

Dammit. Didn't I just yell at Archinerd to
Stop it!
The cost of DLC will be make or break for me when I get home, though the idea of joining and failing at a league just sound great.

I was very much annoyed with my last iteration of BloodBowl. It seemed like a cashgrab. Even thought it was Steam activated it only had 3 installs before the license was killed. They kept releasing new versions of the game with additional content, which is an even worse model than nickel and diming you with planned small regular DLC. And it was buggy.

I haven't touched the game since then. I played a few OOers back then and discovered how badly I suck at the game when compared to people who have studied it. Tiny example, while I have always handled AI very well, I never knew what a "Cage" was until playing against OOers (probably El Guapo). And now all these years later, I remember the concept but I'd have no idea how it executes without losing a game or two first.

1) Can you post what the commitment to a league would be like?
2) When do you want an answer by?
I agree with you on the model (the successive DLCs and 'editions' and whatnot are annoying). That said, everything is out now, and if you buy the 'legendary edition' (~$23 on the sale) that'll get you everything you need - the full suite of teams. There may also be cosmetic DLC available as well (not totally sure), but nothing that would impact gameplay.

The commitment (such as it is - no blood oath required) would be to play one game a week or so - and like I said I'm pretty flexible as long as the relevant coaches schedule a time to play. There will probably be a preseason like I mentioned, so if you want to play a match or two and then decide about the full season that's totally fine. The season itself is just each coach playing each other coach once - right now there are five coaches, plus anyone who joins as a result of this thread. The playoff is then a couple single-elimination matches at the end of that.

As for answer timing, any time over the next week or so would be fine.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

don't hold the league for me but I'm going to think about buying (and committing) when I get home. I may not make the decision tonight though.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I looked at Steam and I'm going to opt out for now. I'm having flashbacks to feeling ripped off from my original purchase in.... 2010? Holy crap time flies.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:33 pm I looked at Steam and I'm going to opt out for now. I'm having flashbacks to feeling ripped off from my original purchase in.... 2010? Holy crap time flies.
No worries. If you change your mind just let me know.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm going to pass too, $23 is more than I'm willing to spend.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

My suggestion would be to buy the basic version for 7 bucks instead. The only thing the DLC gets you is more teams, which, well, there are plenty of teams in that.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:39 am My suggestion would be to buy the basic version for 7 bucks instead. The only thing the DLC gets you is more teams, which, well, there are plenty of teams in that.
Okay. You've convinced me then. I'm still not sure I actually have time for this but I'm willing to find out for only $7.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LE is down to $17.99 but looking, it includes 9 of the 17 DLC. Stll on the fence and will probably wait for the "Complete Edition" at some bargain price or maybe choose never.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo and I played a match in the league last night. I was the Bretonnians, El Guapo was the Underworld team.

Bretonnians are objectively the worst team ever. Their regular positional players are ok, but the linemen... agility 2, armor 7. And ugly as all hell. Also, no high-strength big guys.

The Underworld team has access to Skaven and trolls, and had a lot of weak strength 2 goblins, so I had a strength advantage at least.

We tied 1-1. It took me the whole of the first half to score a touchdown. El Guapo was able to score one in the second half - my rented wizard's fireball was able to knock down one of the guys forming his cage, but my players weren't able to capitalize on the opening. I had three turns to counter-score, but my blitzer got knocked over and, on the last turn, El Guapo had the ball.

Only one injury on each side (well, two on my team, but I used an apothecary), and a fair number of knockouts.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My guys kept knocking over the Bretennian ball carrier, but they kept falling down (and usually getting stunned) at inconvenient times.

I will say the Bretonnian blitzers all having catch seemed more useful than I expected. You kind of have to account for all four of them when there's a scrum, as otherwise there's a risk of picking up the ball, handing it to a blitzer, and winding up with a breakaway.
Black Lives Matter.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Late to the party, but I would be interested in playing if you need players still.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

We already started the current season, but it's a small league (only 6 players) and everyone plays each other once, so I'm sure we'll be seeking new players again in a couple months or so.
Black Lives Matter.
RMC

Post by RMC »

No problem. Just shoot me an IM when you need more players.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hey, so we'll be starting up a new season in a couple weeks - let me know if you're interested in joining. As before, we'll do a 1 or 2 game pre-season, so if you're on the fence, feel free to play a game or two of pre-season play and then you can decide if you want to sign up for the full season or not.
Black Lives Matter.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I’m in.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Responded to your PM but I'll say, "I'm in again" here too in an effort to generate more interest.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm bringing back the Bretonnians. They're still objectively bad.

However, my loss in last season's championship game was entirely due to a technical error on my part (I picked a "wrestle" instead of a "both down").
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

I made a team up. The dreaded RMC- Of Dooom It's a bunch of crazy Lizards. :)
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

I am definitely down for this if there are still spots open. I played in a couple leagues when it first came out, but haven't touched it in years. Tried a couple of solo games last night (yes, I know) and it is starting to come back to me. Love this game, but finding a reliable league is tough and there are too many, what I'll call, griefers in the open online.

Is the expansion needed for the league, or is just the base game fine? My choice would be to play the Wood Elves or Dark Elves, whichever is not in the league already. Let me know!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sawyer wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:30 am I am definitely down for this if there are still spots open. I played in a couple leagues when it first came out, but haven't touched it in years. Tried a couple of solo games last night (yes, I know) and it is starting to come back to me. Love this game, but finding a reliable league is tough and there are too many, what I'll call, griefers in the open online.

Is the expansion needed for the league, or is just the base game fine? My choice would be to play the Wood Elves or Dark Elves, whichever is not in the league already. Let me know!
Yeah, definitely still time. Happy to have you. Just create a new team, send me a team name, and I'll send an invite. Generally match coordination is done via Facebook, so if you're on FB just PM me your profile name and I'll invite you to that group. Otherwise just let me know an e-mail address to coordinate matches.

You don't need the expansion; not having it just limits your team options.

Teams haven't been finalized yet. As of now there is no wood elf or dark elf team (but someone might wind up picking one or the other, of course).
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FYI, we're going to start a new season soon, so if anyone's interested in joining, just let me know.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm thinking the current steam sale is near the lowest this game has ever been?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Looks like it's currently $6 for the base game, $15 with legendary (more teams). I haven't been following the price ups and downs, but it's hard to imagine it being much cheaper than that.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hey, we're probably going to start up a new season sometime over the next month. Anyone interested in joining / rejoining?
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:20 am Hey, we're probably going to start up a new season sometime over the next month. Anyone interested in joining / rejoining?
Man, almost picked it up during the last sale, but all the DLC aspects are off putting (same problem with total war warhammer, actually), and I didn't think I could commit the time.

Any chance you could record a game and put it on youtube or something for us to follow along? Just for fun? No editing or anything, although if you played with discord running we could hear the chat as well.

Just an idea, not trying to make work for anyone.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Sure, I'll see if I can do it next time I play a round.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:57 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:20 am Hey, we're probably going to start up a new season sometime over the next month. Anyone interested in joining / rejoining?
Man, almost picked it up during the last sale, but all the DLC aspects are off putting (same problem with total war warhammer, actually), and I didn't think I could commit the time.

Any chance you could record a game and put it on youtube or something for us to follow along? Just for fun? No editing or anything, although if you played with discord running we could hear the chat as well.

I don't know what teams come with the "base game" these days, but you would be able to play and compete effectively without any DLC. The core teams that the game came with a couple years ago (humans, orcs, dwarves, high elves, dark elves...a couple others) are all strong teams. So if any of those teams interest you then you could just buy the base game and play with one of those teams. FWIW.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:37 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:57 am

I don't know what teams come with the "base game" these days, but you would be able to play and compete effectively without any DLC. The core teams that the game came with a couple years ago (humans, orcs, dwarves, high elves, dark elves...a couple others) are all strong teams. So if any of those teams interest you then you could just buy the base game and play with one of those teams. FWIW.
Seconded.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, "off putting" means it annoys me, rather than "needed to be competitive". If I recall correctly, the first game only came with 4 teams, which is what I've been assuming the second game came with as well.

It's like putting out an NFL game where 1/2 the teams are DLC. It's monetization aspect that annoys me, and it's more "emotionally the publisher/developer elicits a negative vibe" rather than "I object for these reasons".

That's it.

In any case, the last sale had very reasonable pricing and I didn't pull the trigger, so for whatever reason I like the idea of the game and tourneys you guys play, but not enough to actually give it a try. I want to want to play the game, but I'm just not there.

Sorry for the distraction.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fair enough. It also annoys me that they did the whole "limited base game teams + DLC" thing, especially after they did that whole thing with Blood Bowl 1. And that they tweaked with the board game rosters in a couple minor but annoying ways (increasing human catcher armor, increasing orc blitzer cost) for no obvious good reason. And I strongly dislike the company.

BUT the game is pretty fun.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Count me in.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Let me install this weekend, then I'm in too.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon