Oxygen Not Included!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Oxygen Not Included!

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm on an iceteroid, and have learned the hard way that space heaters won't suffice to melt ice, nor will dropping them in a water pool.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:46 am

I'm draining coal too fast already and the overpressurizeding natural gas geyser is right the middle of need to dig down.

Also does anyone use the more advance automation stuff?
Get a smart battery as soon as possible if you are using coal. This allowed me to cut my coal requirements in about half. Your dups continue to feed the coal plant even if all your batteries are full. This wastes coal. Get a smart battery and tell it to only kick on the coal plant when your batteries are below 30% and turn off once they hit 85%.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

For Izzy, I have no sense for the non basic asteroids. We'll see how I feel after I've a good turn on super super easy.
Lordnine wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:09 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:46 am

I'm draining coal too fast already and the overpressurizeding natural gas geyser is right the middle of need to dig down.

Also does anyone use the more advance automation stuff?
Get a smart battery as soon as possible if you are using coal. This allowed me to cut my coal requirements in about half. Your dups continue to feed the coal plant even if all your batteries are full. This wastes coal. Get a smart battery and tell it to only kick on the coal plant when your batteries are below 30% and turn off once they hit 85%.
Yeah, Lorini taught me to always have one and only one linked automated smart battery between your power producers and your power consumers unless your batteries will run of juice before the generators can kick in for whatever purpose. I used to have big problems both with over production and crazy high runoff. Right now I just have problem with having too many pumps, filters, and refiners. I need to better utilize natural flows to take some of the need for power down.

Why off at 85? I might be missing something there.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The coal plant will continue to run for a while after the signal to stop is sent. If it runs to 100% you will waste a bit of energy unless your energy network is close to capacity.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Noted. I'll likely make a shift today and then we'll see if I'm smart enough to monitor the difference.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

To be honest, I saw it recommended in a different forum. It did seem to make a pretty big difference for me though.

I’m almost up to 200 cycles now. I did finally find some ice biomes. They were UNDER my oil biomes which made getting to them a major pain. Being able to cool my base finally has allowed me to finally go heavy into plastics so I finally got rid of my wood ladders and cots.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So happy to see more people enjoying this game!
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And here we are after one year. I've hit the east and west walls. While I've explored to the surface and to the bright red heated bottom, I'm not present there yet.

Enlarge Image

I'm working on the Drecko housing but I dunrun outta gold, so I'm waiting to build the hydrogen generator. I'm diigging on the plumbing dirty water split to O2 and Hydrogen and then using the Hydrogen to farm Dreckos and build power. I had to bring in Worts to mitigate against heat until I'm ready to tap into AETN venting, which is probably a ways away yet.

Enlarge Image

I'm setting up for mushrooms and slickster housing down below. I'm still percolating on a plan to tap the Natural Gas. I've hit and ten or twelve of the geyser/vent/volcanoes and have them all sealed off except a gold volcano and I'm still waiting for a Cool Slush Geyser to hit over pressure.

And shut off at 85% has made a difference. I think I'm going to start harvesting some of my hatch ranches to slow down their consumption.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Found this guide to understanding the logic behind pip planting and farmless farming. I won't be using it (at least for a while) but I really wanted to understand the logic. Currently, I am just let the lay of the land deterimine my pip planting but that will eventually change.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/fo ... d-to-know/
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thought I'd finally tap into the natural gas geyser in the near my colony. 5 cycles of work in natural gas was every where and it overheated my air pump. So I save scrummed back and am going to kick that can down the road while I build polluted water farm.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

You really need to use filters with Natural gas. Also, I find it works best if you use two sets of airlocks.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lordnine wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:34 pm You really need to use filters with Natural gas. Also, I find it works best if you use two sets of airlocks.
I had 4 but the area is pressurized at 5k per air tile. I come back to it later. I'm likely to build temporary suit up area next time I try to tackle it. I'd have dealt with the mess I was making but when pump was overheating, I figured I needed a better plan and scrapped it all. 500 cycles in it was the only time I gave up on a project gone wrong... so far...

My nemisis. It was right there at the beginning and has been taunting me the whole game.

Enlarge Image

My home

Enlarge Image

My new project (PO2 farm where I will house Pacu and probably work toward some of symbiosis with pufts and morbs or something)

Enlarge Image

I tried my first slicker ranch but when I looked around they had all gone poof. I'm guessing it was too cold.

Also I have pretty much explored the entire map. I haven't made the effort to get plastic going yet and I'm debating going to the service to go back to research. I've never made it to the stars before.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

My home is a little bit further along than yours but far more chaotic. :D

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Nice. I've yet to get to plastics or spacey stuff. My dups like their golden abode so my expansion is slow and then I end up moving stuff and then poor planning has me moving stuff again, and then poor planning has me moving stuff again.

I really should experiment with tubes but my only plastic is coming from shearing

Do the tubes act as an airlock? That could solve my 50% of my natural gas tapping problem.

My guess is that I'll finally start experimenting with tubes, hate my layout for not planning a tube route and start over.

Can I assume only one dup goes through a tube at a time? I'm torn on the idea of implementing them. I am crazy picky about my dups and being so gets them up to 20 athletics happens "relatively" quick. I also am supporting enough dups while usually focusing one project at a time that I am never hurting for allocating resources. I just patiently move along slowly. The only resources I am using are sand which becomes clay which becomes hatch food which becomes coal which becomes energy and CO2 and polluted water which I have sealed off production from because I can't turn it into water and oxygen and hydrogen fast enough to keep up with the geyser. Everything else produces more than I consume.

Also is there a non exploit higher density gas storage than the huge 150K tank? I have been removing chorine like no tomorrow. I'm getting ready to go to a vaccum pocket and vent it. Maybe learning how to absorb some heat in to if first. I have 14 tanks aka 2100k chlorine taking up a huge amount space and I still have 11 or more sections of prime space wasted, though could, at the very least be pip farmed in to rot pile and then into dirt.

One of AETNs is giving me problem of privilege. I need the CO2 to keep pressure, to farm mushrooms and keep the Chlorine from taking over but the AETN is so cold that it's frozen 1000s of kg CO2. I need to make time start pumping heat in there, only I like have -100C area radiating (or whatever the antonym is) cold.

Natural Gas is next weekend....

Then plastic then space research... unless of course I want to set up habitats... and parks... and maybe finally begin real farming... and maybe give my dups personal quarters... and maybe their own lavatories...
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The tubes are honestly a pain to work with. I didn’t even know they were in the game until I got access to them and didn’t build them for a long time because it wasn't clear what they did. If I had a complaint about the game in general it's that a lot of things are not clearly explained. The way I am using them is horribly inefficient, I simply didn’t have enough space to lay them out properly without completely redoing my base. As it was, you can see that I basically just cut a hole through my floors to try and make them work. Pretty sure the tubes do not work as an airlock but there is a component that allows them to move through walls, which serves a similar function.

I think I’ve seen multiple dups use the tubes at once but I honestly don't pay that much attention to them. They move people very quickly.

And speaking of poor planning, my statue area used to be my housing quarters. I had no idea how tall that thing would be when finished so I basically ripped out the floors to accommodate it as I went along and moved everyone to the top right. I basically rushed to build it because I was curious if there was an end state to the game. If you are curious, there basically isn’t. Once you build the statue you get a 10 second animated video, a splash screen saying congratulations, and then it takes you right back to the game.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You all are much more organized about flooring up rooms. I suppose it would help cut down on the Long commute messages if I did the same.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

You get a happiness bonus if you build proper rooms. I think its F11 to check this. This becomes importantly later on in the game. Dome dups have really negative traits if they get depressed. I had one that would just start vomiting everywhere. It was a major pain because they did it right into my clean water supply.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In the easy but everything is still turned on game stress is the only thing I worry about. I still have barracks and I don't have the massage table room and jobs going. I've had stress go as high at 35% or so and not knowing when stress reactions kick in or if there are lasting effects, I put the high stress dups on a an R&R schedule with an extended downtime and sleep and they cleared up in two days. I've also stopped assigning my dups more than 11 at roles most and usually stop at 8 or 9 and try to limit them to one skill they love plus research, strength, and athletics. I can only imagine how stressed some of them would be if assigned the 13 or more skill some of them are sitting.

And, no shoring up rooms doesn't cut commutes, even if that's my goal for doing so. That's why I wonder about tubes.

The game does allow you to set jobs by proximity, where in you can locate dups things to areas near their normal duties. I haven't experimented with that. I just overload on having 21 dups constantly cleaning up after pets and water sieves and deoderizers. Not spamming deoderizers would probably be the best way for me cut commute times.

... now the lordnine mentions it, I probably also should start planting park flags in all my pip planted farms and make them in to happiness rooms and see if that reduces stress with little effort on my part. Though I might have to shrink them, my default, undivided room is 132 tiles when I put up two layers of floor allowing me to make each room in to 2 64 tile rooms. (I allow for two floor layers to make electric and plumbing flow easier in living spaces)

I dunno hotkeys but the there is a room overlay in the GUI that tells you size and bonus and even if you are close but not quite on a room to get it's bonus.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

8 Pacu came up last night, so I trapped them into my new polluted pool rather than converting them into instant food. The 4 tons of plastic I had saved from shearing glossy dreckos and *poof* it was gone. But that is 8 now 8 filets every 25 cycles, more if I ever decide to start algae production.

I also had a run of crazy good dups. I ended up taking two of them (and wanted two more but I'm pretty sure that would have been disaster) and am trying to find a way to make sure I don't go from 200k food to no food when I'm not looking (A gas oven could a long way here, I suspect)

With that, it will be time to start corralling pufts and morbs and maybe more pacu. I'm not sure how many I can hold before they become glum.

My Gold is slowly generating forever, but gold amalgam is not. I'm running low and will need to start making decision and researching if there is a way to turn gold into amalgam (and that the way is not an exploit)

Polluted water transfer is allowing me to go back to mining. I need to remember to prioritize amalgam filled areas to so I can kick that can of scarcity down the road. (Ultimately this ends up an exercise in anti-enviormentalism, where I strip mine and put off dealing with problems and strip mine and put off dealing with problems)

I also broke down and started top down tapping into one of my cold areas. I'm not sure what that will do the greater ecology of the area so I'm doing it slowly for now.

I am hoping with my first bit polluted water storage I have the presence of mind when I play to build a good direct line up for research or down for oil in to plastic... But I get distracted by little things all the time like, "Hey look oxylite producing puft. I should preserve his kind..."
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ran out of amalgam last night, appropriately enough while digging paths up to the surface and down to oil. It looks like I have three choices

Exploit a tile creation bug to turn a gold doors into gold tile (I'm already slow on gold generation that way heating the top of colony and don't like exploiting bugs)
Slow to the rate at which care packages give me amalgam
Strip mine the rest of the amalgam on the map

I think short term, I'm going to have to start ripping up outer infrastructure and putting in raw copper or iron while I get plastic production up. Once I have a good plastic source, I believe I can start replacing my fireman poles with tubes, I hope. I may be coming the poor planning end of my colony. I had no idea that care packages were the only way to get amalgam beyond what comes from you slime biomes. My dups passion for gold needs to re-evaluated and curbed.

Edit wait wait.

Voles

"They eat debris and excrete it as solid tile but at a 50% loss of mass, renewing the asteroid's surface after meteors hit and destroy it. They can eat the whole item they find, even if it is 20 ton large - they will eat it entirely and excrete a single tile with 10 ton mass."

A means to amalgam!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I wasn't happy with an AETN sucking all of the CO2 out of my base and also getting it too cold to run, so I took about 16 tons of solid CO2 and dumped in the polluted water above my base to thicken the atmosphere push CO2 back into my mushroom fields and cool off the area above me...

Mistakes may have been made...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I took a +7 Research dup on my initial draw. It is day 69, and I have completed every research that doesn't require access to space.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I try to spread research around (and it still happens way fast) as it helps build skills. I loves' me some 20 athletic 20 strength dups keeping my place clean and they get there quicker by being wicked smah't.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The learning curve seems to be somewhat steep. I was into this during the Beta, and I'm enjoying it again - but keep slamming down on my face and starting over.

Attempt 1: Whoops. We ran out of food.
Attempt 2: Whoops. We ran out of food.
Attempt 3: Whoops. We ran out of oxygen.
Attempt 4: Okay, this asteroid sucks.
Attempt 5: Whoops. Everyone got sick and died.
Attempt 6: Whoops. The air turned toxic.

I expect I'll be playing a series of colonies where each one makes it a little further than the last.

My initial duplicates are selected to mesh skills - Research/Cooking, Farming/Mechanical, Medical/Rancher - that sort of thing. So far the only thing I think I need to try and get maxed out is Farming. Man, I need food. In abundance. I once had a +7 Farmer who made it look easy. That was my last run, and my Dupes hated eating maggots.

I need to go dig up the guides and wikis on base building so I don't constantly restart, too. I vaguely remember needing to put things like generators in sealed rooms to control the gasses, but that was before heat was a part of the game. I've never played with heat, only gasses and fluids.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Attempt 4: Okay, this asteroid sucks.
I don't remember a steep learning curve. I remember Dwarf Fortress light with the dwarf organizer (whatever it was called) built in. Power management took some getting used to for me. I think I was overcharging batteries and putting too many out there, so they drained faster. I don't recall exactly. I did very much enjoy learning aspect to deal with the different Biomes and coming together to get things like the AETN to serve your needs.

I do remember 2 things very distinctly. I did not enjoy playing on world where all of the stuff I wanted/needed might not be there, so I used a world generation preview site to cherry pick for the kind of world I would want to "discover" (knowing what I needed was out there somewhere, I just had to find it). This asteroid sucks would kill many hours of game at a time and leave me frustrated. Leave the those sorts of challenges through a later playthrough if I wanted a later playthrough.

I never did get to the last phase of the game. I had no patience for the learning curve you speak of when it comes to dealing with all of the surface things at once.
Spoiler:
radiation exposure, meteors, no air, etc...
Not sure if I'll ever go back and start from the beginning and try to get past that roadblock.

Some of the final changes at release were neat. I really enjoyed things like cultivating the ferret like critter that would steal and bury and therefore plant stuff naturally so you didn't have to water them.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:11 pmI don't remember a steep learning curve. I remember Dwarf Fortress light with the dwarf organizer (whatever it was called) built in.
Steep maybe was the wrong word. By no means is it Dwarf Fortress hard. It's maybe a notch or two above the average base building & resource management game. I have no problem building my base and managing resources. The problems come in getting those resources before my Duplicates die or the air in my base turns hopelessly toxic and everyone's running around green-faced and puking. There's probably a particular balance that needs to be struck between resource use, resource mining, expansion, and adding more Duplicates. I feel like I'm still wobbling around trying to find that line.

In Factorio, if you run out of Iron or your production line seizes, you jiggle things and add a mine or two and it works again. In this game, your Duplicates die if you can't resolve the issue fast enough.

I'm also fiddling with what might be the right room size to work with. 4 tiles tall (6 if you include floor and ceiling) seems to accommodate most things, but 5 tall lets you install gas pumps & filters in just about any room. It's just a lot more digging. Plants also need light, and maybe 6 tall for them works to maximize the light dispersal. It's all factors in survival.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:35 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:11 pmI don't remember a steep learning curve. I remember Dwarf Fortress light with the dwarf organizer (whatever it was called) built in.
Steep maybe was the wrong word. By no means is it Dwarf Fortress hard. It's maybe a notch or two above the average base building & resource management game. I have no problem building my base and managing resources. The problems come in getting those resources before my Duplicates die or the air in my base turns hopelessly toxic and everyone's running around green-faced and puking. There's probably a particular balance that needs to be struck between resource use, resource mining, expansion, and adding more Duplicates. I feel like I'm still wobbling around trying to find that line.

In Factorio, if you run out of Iron or your production line seizes, you jiggle things and add a mine or two and it works again. In this game, your Duplicates die if you can't resolve the issue fast enough.

I'm also fiddling with what might be the right room size to work with. 4 tiles tall (6 if you include floor and ceiling) seems to accommodate most things, but 5 tall lets you install gas pumps & filters in just about any room. It's just a lot more digging. Plants also need light, and maybe 6 tall for them works to maximize the light dispersal. It's all factors in survival.

For O2, for me, I just put Oxiders near the bedrooms so make sure content never got too low. Then it was just a matter of maintaining pressure between CO2 and O2. When opening new areas, either I would have scrubbers pumping out non O2 out of my sealed area or I would have the sand cleaner sucking PO2 and pushing out O2. I welcomed PO2 to the outskirts and then just had the sand cleaner clean it before it got near.

Now that you mention it, I did have quite of bit of babysitting of doors, so no Dup would go out and lower the immunities too far while working out beyond the air purifiers.
m also fiddling with what might be the right room size to work with. 4 tiles tall (6 if you include floor and ceiling) seems to accommodate most things, but 5 tall lets you install gas pumps & filters in just about any room. It's just a lot more digging. Plants also need light, and maybe 6 tall for them works to maximize the light dispersal. It's all factors in survival.
My memory was settling with 65 spaces between ladders, 4 high, 3 levels for floor ceiling. One layer for walls. Rooms according to their best Xx4 area, though I could fudge this by bringing ceilings down a level. That just my memory though. I could be way[/] off.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've settled, for the time being, on 4 tiles of open space, floor to ceiling. Larger (taller) rooms end up 9 or 14 tiles high (so all of my floors are on the same planes).

After a few more restarts, I think I've worked out how to get to a survivable place fairly quickly so all I have to do is start worrying about expansion and long-term survival - not dealing with toxic air in my bedrooms and food shortages.

My "success" starts with...
  1. Go out about 22 tiles from one side of the centerline of the portal and establish the main ladder (the ladder ends up at tile 24, with air gaps at 23 and 25)
  2. Carving out the rough parameters of my initial bedroom, space for 4 Cots, above the portal layer.
  3. Above the bedroom layer, a bathroom with space for 4 wash stands and 4 outhouses, plus a couple extra spaces - maybe for gas pumps.
    • Having 4 of each right away means I have enough time to polish my cellspit before I need to empty anything.
  4. Once I can sleep and pee in comfort, I create a substantial and tall room (13 wide by 19 tiles high) on the other side of the ladder that will become my airlocked cesspit. This seems to butt right up against other biomes on its outer wall.
    • At the top level I have space for 3 compost bins and a fertilizer generator.
    • Below that I have my airlock chamber where I keep a gas pump to create a vacuum. The pump pushes clean air back into the base and everything else back in above the compost bins. On the same level, but inside the cesspit room, is the polluted water extraction pump that spills into the pit below.
    • The pit below is two floors tall and should hold enough waste water that I can find time to create a solution for cleaning it before it fills up.
  5. As soon as the walls on the cesspit are built, I establish a garden space 9 tiles tall and X wide (where X is just an unfinished wall I can keep chipping away at to make the garden bigger). The bottom floor is all Mealwood plants in farm tiles. Two spaces above those is another layer of farm tiles with Bristle Berry plants and lights in the ceilings illuminating them from 6 tiles above.
  6. With the garden established and growing, I concentrate on quickly trying to empty all of the materials from inside the cesspit area so Dupes never go in there unless they have to. This fills a surprising number of storage containers.
  7. All these steps are scattered with spotty Research to pick up needed tech and draining water down to lower levels and into larger pools as needed.
  8. The portal is 4 tiles wide, so from the middle of that I have 22 spaces to my first air gap, then the ladder. This gives me a center core of 42 tiles to play with (assuming walls and doors at the air gaps in order to create rooms). In the bedroom layer, this is enough space to comfortably house 15 duplicates with space to spare on the floor (five beds in the middle butt up against each other, but the others have a space between them). I read that 15 is about as many as you want to keep things logistically sane.
You mention 65 tiles between ladders, but for my initial bases I think that would put my first ladders right up against the biome walls and I wouldn't be able to build on the outside layers until I opened tech to deal with Chlorine/Slime/Hydrogen. You must keep everything I'm putting on either side of my ladders inside the central core.

I've read that it's great to keep existing plants in place as wild plants so you never need to water them, but there's no feasible way to build a clean base around the few interspersed garden pods that spawn naturally. I tried doing this a couple times and while it extended the duration until I had to establish my garden, it severely limited my early-game planning and building. I think I'd rather just have the deliberate garden ASAP and maybe recruit a critter later that plants things to make wild growth.

For my initial Dupes I selected an Suit specialist with interest in two techs needed to get there, so they have a morale boost at each stage as they work towards Suits - I'm hoping this pays off as a long-term plan for when space suits and rocketry come in. Another is a Farmer/Rancher with Science as a trait (not a passion) just for faster learning. The last is a Medic/Cook with Science as a trait, again for faster learning. I brought along no Binge Eaters, Mouth-Breathers, Bottomless Stomachs, Narcoleptics - no one who consumes more time and resources just for being around or being stressed.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Paingod wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:35 pm
Steep maybe was the wrong word.
Not steep, but maybe too obtuse.

I've kind of stopped in frustration for lack of clear objectives. Sure, dig out as much as I can. Sure, keep breathing and farming.

But there's an order of operations and a balance to strike that I'm just not seeing clearly.

Like I need slime to make algae, and I have critters I can feed polluted oxygen to in order to produce it, but I need a Rancher and a setup for him and a way to ensure I don't poison my duplicates with the slime. If I want to dig it out of the ground, I need some way to ensure they don't get sick, so I'm looking at a long road to airlocks and suits. Maybe I'm supposed to let them get sick and finally build a medbay. I don't know exactly how much slime I need, or how many critters is a good amount, if any. If I use critters, how do I go about producing enough polluted air to feed them?

It's a massive logistics chain with little clear up-front data (you don't get details on what something needs until you've built it), obfuscated with cute explanations, and I think that's what I bounced off last time. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of being reduced to following someone else's instructions so I can survive and play the way they intended; I prefer to get ideas from those, not use them like IKEA manuals.

As such, my colony is on Cycle 48 - eating as well as possible on worms and flowers, and breathing okay - but I'm burning Coal with no clear way to get more (none in the area around me) unless I manage to cultivate a flock of dirt-eating, coal-shitting crabs. I'm surrounded by Slime on three sides, so I'm guessing that's the next tech I should be examining how I can process it all away. I'm just not sure how...
Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You'll need to research all the tech for the animals to get stuff that you'll need down the road. Nearly mandatory really.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Lorini wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:11 pmYou'll need to research all the tech for the animals to get stuff that you'll need down the road. Nearly mandatory really.
I've done some of the research and I think I could capture/maintain animals - but I don't know to what end, so I haven't tried.

Do the wild animals hang around forever? It looks like they all lay 1 egg to perpetuate the line and otherwise ignore everything else.
Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Re: Oxygen Not Included! (Early Access)

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 am Tried this for about an hour yesterday. This is one that really needs a tutorial. I already made peace with the fact that my Duplicants were going to have very short lives and was willing to try things just to see how they worked. But figuring out even how to try things is a challenge. Some examples:
  • I built a Manual Generator and seemingly wired it to my Oxygen Producer. But no one would hop on and charge it up. I eventually figured out that you drag to create wires rather than clicking in the individual squares (not sure what I created before, maybe a series of outlets?).
  • I didn't realize Research was really very near the top of the list and should be started on immediately. Once I got the Generator properly wired, it was trivial to start and would have been useful to get harvestable crops to feed my people. Now it doesn't look like we will get there. Although, even if I had the research, I don't know where I'd grow stuff. I got a compost heap that seems like it would be useful, but no indication what the next step is.
All that said, it was still fun. I'm sure I'll figure it all out eventually (although the oxygen thing really has me stumped), but they could make the learning curve a bit more gradual.
Just bought this and tried it. Came to read an OO thread and you nailed my exact first experience, so I guess the devs never did add any more handholding. That's pretty typical for KLEI I think though. I don't mind you forcing me to figure things out, but when the thing blocking me from an essential game function is the UI, that bothers me a bit (the dragging the power cord vs plopping down in a line, which is EXACTLY what I did, instinctively, as well, and had same problem as you).

I'm also not fond of having to watch hours of tutorial video to figure out how to play something. If it's that necessary, the devs should have done it themselves (not to mention I would MUCH prefer that to be native, in-game, than some rando on the internet doing it).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I had some harumph with learning batteries but most of the rest of the discovery was fun. Right up until what I would describe as end game content. I won't spoil it (If I haven't already upthread) but the end game content was just frustrating to try and implement, so I stopped base building when I got frustrated with that.

I might or might not come back to the game. If I do, I do remember that I did not like having the challenge of not knowing if *all* resources were available to exploit, so I found a map seed discovery site which I would use before considering restarting.

I see they released an expansion based on the previous end game content that I never could enjoyable get going. Looks like I'll wait for that to go onsale before determining if I get back to the game. If the end game sucked for me, it's gonna be hard to pay $13.00 to go "Yep, this still sucks."

(I don't mind watching videos but I could see that 3rd party tutorials being turn off to many)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I have to take back some of what I said - I see now that there are indeed tutorial videos in game - missed those initially. Pretty well done in fact. Enjoying this one so far! Just got to the point where I have learned enough to know I want to start over and do things much better. Place is a mess, and pretty disgusting with what appears to be open sewage running amok. :D Not sure exactly what is causing that, but that will be next game's probem I guess.

Great little game.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I should get on that game, but I'm having too much fun with MW5.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Still really digging this (ha!), but my original criticism stands. Even though they have some very basic in game videos, they aren’t really tutorials.

And some things, like creating a water lock, which is very necessary, could have been shown. Show me once, or at least tell me that I need to create a system to treat the water, or store polluted water, and bob’s your uncle.

Just not a fan of HAVING to look up extensive tutorials for something so necessary.

That’s a nitpick though, this game is RIGHT in my wheelhouse and I love it. I don’t even mind restarting a million times bc I always assume/think I can build back better(!) with new knowledge I gained from prior mistakes.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I guess I am not shocked how "supported" this game is considering the dev, but man, they definitely deserve one of the Steam awards that recognizes a dev that keeps updating and patching their game LONG after release.

New patch dropped yesterday, new road map for 2022 coming soon. Anyone still playing? I kind of hit a wall when chloring started to overwhelm my base and even after looking things up online, I was not clear how to solve it. That's still probably my biggest criticism of this otherwise fantastic game...way too easy to get "stuck", and literally build yourself into a corner.

Welcome to the first patch of 2022! Just a few minor things we’ve been working on since Spaced Out! launched in December.

Highlights include:
WeGame mod support
Fixes for Linux worldgen issues
Helped Sweepys get a little more confidence…they’re no longer afraid of everything, just critters
Adjustments to meters on many buildings when using colorblind settings
Critters won’t idle where Pneumatic Doors are being constructed anymore
Plenty of crash and bug fixes

Check out the full patch notes on the official forums to see all the other things we’ve fixed or polished.

You can continue to report bugs here.

Also: keep an eye out for our 2022 roadmap! It explains what’s happening behind the scenes at ONI, and where things will be going for the next little while.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Yet another game I think about coming back to. I got stuck trying to get the surface going. My guys kept getting sun stroke or whatever and they crap falling from the sky was just much for me for get rhythm working on.

So many game I want to play and just not enough time in the day. I'm debating joining the games completed thread to log my play. I might just do that.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:20 am Yet another game I think about coming back to. I got stuck trying to get the surface going. My guys kept getting sun stroke or whatever and they crap falling from the sky was just much for me for get rhythm working on.

So many game I want to play and just not enough time in the day. I'm debating joining the games completed thread to log my play. I might just do that.
Do you happen to remember a chlorine solution? I am still far underground (I assume). Shit is getting toxic, quick!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:30 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:20 am Yet another game I think about coming back to. I got stuck trying to get the surface going. My guys kept getting sun stroke or whatever and they crap falling from the sky was just much for me for get rhythm working on.

Do you happen to remember a chlorine solution? I am still far underground (I assume). Shit is getting toxic, quick!
You get thee choices. Dig deeper so it sinks, vent it to sealed area outside your base, pressurize it and store it. I tended to work with all three. I remember having a huge area of storage tanks and I can only assume they were full of chlorine.

Looking at my last post
Also is there a non exploit higher density gas storage than the huge 150K tank? I have been removing chorine like no tomorrow. I'm getting ready to go to a vaccum pocket and vent it. Maybe learning how to absorb some heat in to if first. I have 14 tanks aka 2100k chlorine taking up a huge amount space and I still have 11 or more sections of prime space wasted, though could, at the very least be pip farmed in to rot pile and then into dirt.