Monster Hunter World

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Octavious

Monster Hunter World

Post by Octavious »

Anyone grabbing this? I'd like to play this with my daughter, but that means I have to pony up 120 bucks. :shock: Considering how much money I have spent as of late I'm guessing I'll wait a bit. These games are so much fun for me. I just love the combat and hope this one is as good as the previous ones.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Re: Monster Hunter World

Post by coopasonic »

You know it's just the console release this week, right? PC release looks to be in the fall.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well crap I didn't know that! :? Guess that gives me time to save up then. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've never played a Monster Hunter game and the idea of these games appeal to me, but I was pretty underwhelmed with the demo. Compared to other games I've played lately (Dark Souls 3, Assassin's Creed, Nioh), the fighting seemed basic and just sort of off. And since the majority (all?) the game is about fighting monsters, that didn't exactly make me interested in trying the full game.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I haven't tried the demo, but i heard that it wasn't really reflective of what you should expect from what I've read. Seems like they would have been better off without the demo. Assuming it's like the last one, the combat takes a bit to get used too, but it's really fun once you get the hang of it. It really is just about hunting out monsters and collecting things, but it's so much fun. If you have a 3DS you could try out that one. It's quite fun. Heck I should load it up myself.

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I super want another Monster Hunter, but I also super want it on the Switch, since most of my game time is on the bus. Having it only on a home system means I'll get to play way less. Still, my wanting the new hotness won out, so I'll be picking this up on Friday.

Now that I decided to bite on it, I've been looking into the changes for it, and there's a lot of quality of life stuff getting added that looks really good.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Jag

Post by Jag »

Is this a dark souls type game or more of a regular hack-n-slash/ARPG. I don't have the time or patience for a Souls-like.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:13 am I've never played a Monster Hunter game and the idea of these games appeal to me, but I was pretty underwhelmed with the demo. Compared to other games I've played lately (Dark Souls 3, Assassin's Creed, Nioh), the fighting seemed basic and just sort of off. And since the majority (all?) the game is about fighting monsters, that didn't exactly make me interested in trying the full game.
I think the demo was not representative of what will come later in the game. Some of what I heard was that this is going to be "Baby's First Monster Hunter," or at least designed for a new player base. This means that they have lowered some of the early monster difficulty and added some nice quality of life things (like Chaz said). For example, the tracking firefly things (before, you had to either drink a potion that was crafted from somewhat expensive ingredients or just find the monster from context clues). The difficulty of the three monsters in the beta felt like "first three mission" difficulty monsters in the 3DS version (although the Barroth comes later).

If it plays like the other ones, the difficulty will ramp up dramatically, even to the point that some monsters may be able to one-shot you depending on your set up. You also will need to have a lot of strategy - some monsters will likely be able to be captured, which requires some finesse.

The BIG thing that was missing from the demo was crafting. To get all that cool armor and weapons, you need to gather monster pieces. These drop via an RNG, but this can be "goosed" by breaking or chopping off various parts. Do you need a Ludroth tail? Well, you better bring a slicing weapon and focus on that spongy bastards tail. Do you need a Barroth crest? Then take a hammer and pound that rock monster's face.

I have not tried to fight the new beta monster, and it is supposed to represent a more "hardcore" monster from later in the game.

To me, Monster Hunter plays like a much more active and interesting version of Dark Souls (the better comparison would be Nioh). I like MH better than these because in DS and Nioh, even the weakest monster can be deadly when they get the drop on you. It makes me feel like my hero is made of paper. In MH, you start of a little squishy, but as you get more gear you become able to shrug off the small attacks. Now the main events tend to still be tense brawls requiring practice and skill, IMHO more skill than the "swipe, dodge, wait, swipe, dodge" of Nioh and DS.

Also the weapons are way cooler in MH. I am a hardcore lance and gunlance user (I prefer gunlance). Nothing like having a giant spear-gun to shove in a monster's face!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

This should probably move over to console land, but oh well.

I got some time in over the weekend. It's really good. They've made a lot of quality of life improvements that make things a lot easier, like auto-crafting, allowing you to eat, change gear, and access your item box at camp in the field, and dismantle crafted weapons to get your materials back.

That said, while the general vibe is "this is the most accessible Monster Hunter yet" is probably accurate, that doesn't mean this thing is a cake walk. There's a TON of systems, and most of them are available right at the beginning, so getting overwhelmed is still totally likely. The game expects a good amount of the player. It'll give you tutorials, but it expects you to read them and remember them. The best way to learn is still to have someone walk you through stuff or watch tutorial videos. The game expects you to spend time learning monster signals and tells. Monsters don't have a health bar, so you have to pay attention to how the monster's behaving to figure out if you're making progress or not. Don't be surprised to see it take over a half hour to take down a monster for the first time, and probably longer sometimes. There's a reason a lot of mission timers are 50 minutes.

So yeah, it's real good, but it's still Monster Hunter, with all that entails.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played a bunch of it this weekend. Always making progress and always learning, but man the length of the monster fights. The battles feel very grindy without a whole lot of variation through the fight other than various parts falling off from time to time.

I never know if I am ready to go to the next story mission or if I should grind a little bit to upgrade my weapon or armor, so far I have pretty much been able to muddle through everything. The one time I was stopped cold was by the Anjanath. I had to gear up for that guy, which mostly meant a water based weapon There are just so many different ways you can upgrade things and so many different armor skills and so many branches in the weapon trees and more and more base weapon types and... it just keeps going!

I started working on the unlocks for the canteen because I saw a video where someone got much better buffs than I did. I've gotten a couple upgrades for my garden (forget the name) so I can crank out two products at a time, but I don't feel like I really need much.

I need to practice with traps more. That first capture mission took me several tries to get the monster tranqed while it was still shocked. Apparently you can pre sleep a monster so it goes down as soon as it is immobile or quickly after.

This is my third try at a monster hunter game, the last was generations on 3ds, but I never got very far with it because it felt much too opaque to me. At least this one I have a clue, though I still feel like I am missing a lot. I'm still having fun, so I ought to get there eventually.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Yea.....I'm hoping things start clicking into place for me pretty soon, or I'm gonna move on to the next shiny thing..........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

This is my first Monster Hunter, and I'm really really liking it so far. There's so much to take in, but it's neat knowing there's always going to be another layer of depth to try on every time I've gotten proficient at what I know.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm not a Monster Hunter vet, but I've got enough time in on various games in the series that this isn't my first rodeo. If you've got questions, ask 'em and I'll try and answer, since that's frequently the best way to learn MH.

Something that's not immediately apparent about capturing is that the fastest way is to get the monster's health into capture range (I think this now makes its map icon flash a skull), get it to fall into a pit or shock trap, and then hit it with two tranq bombs. The common mistake early on is to throw one and go "why isn't it captured?" Also, try and aim at the head just to make sure it hits.

On fight length, you can mostly expect that the first time against a type of monster is going to run into the half hour long or more. That tends to go down, since you'll get better at fighting them, and you'll hopefully have upgraded your weapons. For example, my first time fighting the great jagras was over 30 minutes, but now (not all that far past him in the key quests) he's a leisurely ten minute fight.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Chaz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:30 pm On fight length, you can mostly expect that the first time against a type of monster is going to run into the half hour long or more. That tends to go down, since you'll get better at fighting them, and you'll hopefully have upgraded your weapons. For example, my first time fighting the great jagras was over 30 minutes, but now (not all that far past him in the key quests) he's a leisurely ten minute fight.
Yeah I did a "kill two Great Jagras" quest in 7 minutes after some upgrades and switching weapons. Quite a shift from the initial encounter... Just gotta keep upgrading I guess.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Long Sword for life!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

What do the numbers in parenthesis next to departure points mean?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:49 pm What do the numbers in parenthesis next to departure points mean?
If you mean what I think you mean:
Southwest Camp (1)
Northwest Camp (8)
those are just the map locations/designations of the camp sites. The map is broken up into different zones and the camp sites are labeled for the zone they are located in. In the portable games there were loading screens in between the map zones so those divisions were more important.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Yea...thats them.
In other news......how in the world is there not a strategy guide out for this???
If any game screamed out for one, this is it. Then again, it might be a path to madness to try and compile one......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Very interested in getting this. Keep the impressions coming.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Hmm the one thing I need to lookup is if this will work well with the vita remote play. My guess is no, but you never know. If it does I might have a hard time waiting for the pc version.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Even though the item system and upgrade system can feel overwhelming at first, you really don't have to understand every nuance to succeed in the game. When starting out, in general you can just focus on bigger numbers. Higher attack is good. Higher defense is good. Whenever you can upgrade, do it. It's only later in the game where item prep and elemental strengths/weaknesses come into play, and by the time you reach that point you'll have become more comfortable with how everything works.

I think a lot of people are intimidated by the game due to the previous entries in the series and the hardcore following in Japan, but as a complete Monster Hunter n00b, I can assure you that there's nothing to fear. There are some great guides on line (Kotaku has a terrific one) explaining the various game terms (for instance, what's a bounty vs an investigation vs an expedition vs a quest), and a quick read through of those will have you well on your way.

And as far as difficulty goes, single player in particular is not that hard. I went in expecting Dark Souls levels of combat precision, but that's not the case at all. The monsters have very obvious tells, and as soon as you learn to dodge them it's just a matter of whittling them down. Obviously they get tougher the further you go in the game, but don't expect to be pummeled into submission from the very start. I don't think I died once until I met the biggest monster in the start zone. And I wound up killing him on my second try. Just keep upgrading when you can and you'll be fine. So far I've found it challenging enough to keep me a little afraid without feeling in any way frustrating or insurmountable.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

stimpy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:16 am Yea...thats them.
In other news......how in the world is there not a strategy guide out for this???
If any game screamed out for one, this is it. Then again, it might be a path to madness to try and compile one......
I think past Monster Hunter US sales haven't been high enough to justify a guide, and the kind of guide you'd need to cover this game would be super large.

Comparisons to Dark Souls have always seemed not super accurate. It pretty much ends at "you fight giant things". The key difference, to me, is that Monster Hunter fights are a lot more forgiving than Dark Souls' fights. In MH, you can usually take a few hits before you even need to heal, let alone feint. If you do need to heal, you can usually find ample space to do it. If you get knocked out, the monster's health probably stays about where you left it while you run back. Basically, there's a lot of room for error. In Dark Souls, there's almost none. You can heal, but there's way less opportunity, and you die much faster. Crucially, if you get knocked out, you restart the boss fight wholesale.

MH is also more up front about giving you info about its systems. That's not to say that it ever necessarily explains them, but they're usually not too difficult to figure out with a little puzzling or googling. To this day, I have no real clue what the bloodtinge stat in Bloodborne does, despite spending over 30 hours in it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finally ran up against a monster that whipped me hard. That poofy bat thing. (When I ran into him I smugly sang, "What's new, puffy bat? Whoaah whoooa whoooa" in my best Tom Jones voice. He didn't like that.)

I actually had him almost dead but he got in some lucky stuns.

My first thought was, "Oh well, I'll just have to go farm parts and try to get my weapons or armor upgraded." Headed back to town and realized that another four side quests had opened up, the Arena had opened up, and if I truly did want to farm those parts, I had multiple investigations and bounties to piggyback on top of it.

My point to all this is that there's always something to do in this game, and anything you choose has the potential to make you stronger and more prepared. It's one of the things I really love about it - rarely do I ever feel like I've wasted my time, even in defeat.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Couldn't resist and picked it up for the ps4. Remote play on the vita works okay, some of the controls are clunky and the text is pretty small. Remote play to the pc looks too blurry for me to want to use it much. If I had a PS4 Pro that wouldn't be an issue, but I don't. So I'll just have to lug the ps4 downstairs and hook it up to the computer monitor. Life is hard! ;) Only briefly looked at it. I'll really dig into it tomorrow, but I really liked creating my character and the cat. :lol:

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've been reading the last few posts and y'all confused me by putting this in the PC Gaming forum. I went looking for more info and a place to purchase, and all I see are articles online indicating an Autumn 2018 release of this for the PC.

I'm not complaining, just confused. It sounds like it might be up my alley when it hits PC.

*Edit: I see this was mentioned earlier in the thread, too.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Maybe Octavious or a mod could add "(PS4/XB1 only until fall 2018)" to the subject or something... or it could be moved to the Console forum for 8 months.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

My confusion is over. I'm just interested in it now. I kept reading it and thinking it sounded cool, and was baffled why everyone was using consoles for it until I went looking myself. I missed your post at the very top ... :wink:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Honestly they should just combine console with pc. Nobody goes over there as much.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I've just been posting here in hopes the mods would move it over, rather than start a duplicate thread.

In other news, Puffy Bat is dead. The monster animations in the game feel very life-like, and I admit I felt a little sorry for him as he limped, dragging his shattered wings behind him, trying in vain to get away from my hammer.

If you think about it, the entire game is about landing on a richly diverse ecosystem and killing creatures that simply want to be left alone. :cry:

And yes, I'm back to the hammer. I really like the reach on the long sword, but that hammer HITS. SO. HARD.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm not sure how the teaming works, but if anyone wants to add me on the PS4 it's Octavious230. It seems this game REALLY wants you to team. I could see it being fun, but I'm not a fan of playing with randoms.

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I was wondering about that myself last night, as I was on my 3rd time of trying to bring down my first Pukei. I was getting aggravated and thought that an extra hand, other than the useless cat, would be really helpful.

Can you join cross platform? I'm on Xbox.

Edit: Nope
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That's a bummer. I never had issues with randoms in Dark Souls but it worries me in this game. Eh maybe I'll give it a shot.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm on Xbox as well as TheYellowKing. Anyone who wants to team up hit me up any time. I love smashing things and haven't tried any multiplayer yet (partly because I can't figure out how it works).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:02 am I'm not sure how the teaming works, but if anyone wants to add me on the PS4 it's Octavious230. It seems this game REALLY wants you to team. I could see it being fun, but I'm not a fan of playing with randoms.
I sent you a PSN friend request. I assume playtimes will differ and I will never see you on, but hey, you never know. Shockingly, I am coopasonic.

The concern with multi in this game is friendly fire. I guess you don't really damage the other player, but you can knock them around with your careless attacks, breaking their combos. Monsters scale with player count and rewards (moneys at least) are divided by player count. I have no idea how carving loot is distributed.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Eh I'm on pretty late a lot of the time. Been trying to cut it down a bit as it's been killing my mornings though. :lol:

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:32 am And yes, I'm back to the hammer. I really like the reach on the long sword, but that hammer HITS. SO. HARD.
Did you figure out the power up on the Long Sword? Once you have that thing in the red it's a mean machine. I've seen my big attack do 160 damage (5x32) and it's just a beautiful thing. Of course I can't just the hammer because I haven't tried it, but man I am loving the long sword.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, I think long sword would be my second favorite. I have heard a lot of people loving the glaive, but I've heard it's tougher to master. I need to try it out at some point I guess.

Last night I almost completed my Palaou (sp?) Puffy Bat armor set. At this point it's the strongest armor I can build, but it looks like something a Russian drag queen would wear. Oh well, at least I'll look fabulous while killing monsters!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:13 am Yeah, I think long sword would be my second favorite. I have heard a lot of people loving the glaive, but I've heard it's tougher to master. I need to try it out at some point I guess.
I've been using the insect glaive as my main weapon, so feel free to post questions on how to use it if you have any. It's a ton of fun but I do sometimes get jealous of the big damage combos other weapons can pull off when a monster is downed. The glaive is more about being able to keep constant damage going while the monster is darting around, and mounting a monster to down it for the team.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

The glaive is great, but tends to be micro heavy. You really, really need to keep the full set of all three juice colors active at all times or your damage drops off fast. When you've got that, you can spit out some pretty sustained damage numbers. It's not one big burst like the hammer, but you can keep a multi-hit combo going for a LONG time.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My son is using the glaive because it is cool, but he doesn't really have any idea how to use it effectively. Obviously that is giving him some trouble, so I thought I would check it out and see if I could help him figure it out. Now, understand that I am on narcotic pain meds and muscle relaxers following back surgery a few days ago so my mind is a bit fuzzy, but I just watched a Glaive guide video from fextralife who is generally a pretty good youtuber for these sorts of things. I was really trying to focus, but holy hell I have no idea. There is just so much going on with the glaive! I agree it looks cool, but I think I'd have to study that thing for hours to figure it out.... which I just may do because having my son enjoy a game I also enjoy has some significant benefits.

Anyway, I just want to say wow. Yeah, wow.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter