World of Warcraft : Classic

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

morlac

Re: World of Warcraft : Classic

Post by morlac »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:31 am Thing is if you wait too long then the noob areas clear out and makes it harder to find groups and get help.

Queues suck but it would be tough to choose a server if I was playing. If I join an unqueued one that means not that many on it which means even less down the road to play with. If I wait in a line theres more people to play with now and later but theres that darn waiting to contend with. Gotta find a middle ground. Small wait but lots of people to join with.
It's WOW, you don't need any help. Even "classic" is built to solo minus some dungeons here and there.

The ques are not do to over crowded servers as much as they are about overcrowded newbie zones. The intro video the Forsaken start last night looked like undead vomit spewing out of the catacomb and moving in mass down the hill. It was hilarious.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I took the Deep Tram from Ironforge to Stormwind today in order to get the SW flight point (and save 50 coppers). It's been about 15 years since I did that last. I feel like I'm in a time warp. The weird thing is how much I still remember about the classic experience (of course I did run though it on about 20 alts, so...). It's like putting on a pair of old, comfortable slippers. I'm not really finding leveling to be painful and everyone is helping everyone out. I've already been in several impromptu little parties to deal with mini bosses. It feels good to fear for my life again and feel connected to the world.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The funny thing is, the character (Orc hunter) I'm playing right now in the current content is the same one that was my main in Vanilla. And I've still got the pet I've used since BC.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I asked for a Wanderers guild invite for my mage on the discord server yesterday but haven't gotten one. Has anyone else had any luck getting one?
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

ColdSteel wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:37 pm I asked for a Wanderers guild invite for my mage on the discord server yesterday but haven't gotten one. Has anyone else had any luck getting one?
That's odd. We were adding lots of folks today. I'm sorry I missed your request.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

ColdSteel wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:37 pm I asked for a Wanderers guild invite for my mage on the discord server yesterday but haven't gotten one. Has anyone else had any luck getting one?
Yeah, several people added this evening. I'm sure it was an oversight.

My B.net tag is below so feel free to add me though I have D&D tomorrow night so likely won't be on unless it's early evening CST. I would try again in the Discord server throughout the day or when you can.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

When logged in try doing a /who wanderers to see who is on and then ask for an invite. (Not everyone has invite ability though).
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:12 am When logged in try doing a /who wanderers to see who is on and then ask for an invite.
Thanks! I hooked up with Shadrock this morning and got an invite.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

ColdSteel wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:25 am
Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:12 am When logged in try doing a /who wanderers to see who is on and then ask for an invite.
I've been trying to hook up with Shadrock for 15 years.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

rittchard wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:23 pm
:clap:
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:24 pm
:clap:
Good times... Good times...
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

:lol:
morlac

Post by morlac »

Finally got on Mankrirk without a que and made a character with my Daughter. I never really played Alliance and she thought a gnome warrior would be funny so I now have a 5th lvl one named Morlac. Time to put her to bed :)
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

morlac wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:44 pm Finally got on Mankrirk without a que and made a character with my Daughter. I never really played Alliance and she thought a gnome warrior would be funny so I now have a 5th lvl one named Morlac. Time to put her to bed :)
Hit us up, we'll get you in the guild.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Will hit yall up at some point this weekend.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
morlac

Post by morlac »

I'm having quite a good time playing this. I never got super into WOW as I was playing DAOC, EQ2, COH during it's heydays. I had a 30ish level rouge and a few alts in the teens/twenties all on Horde side. This is mostly new content for me playing Alliance and I've been hankering for a mmorpg lately so the stars have aligned. Enjoying my Warrior presently but have name locked a bunch of alts to try later tonight/tomorrow. :horse:
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

morlac wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:41 pm I'm having quite a good time playing this. I never got super into WOW as I was playing DAOC, EQ2, COH during it's heydays. I had a 30ish level rouge and a few alts in the teens/twenties all on Horde side. This is mostly new content for me playing Alliance and I've been hankering for a mmorpg lately so the stars have aligned. Enjoying my Warrior presently but have name locked a bunch of alts to try later tonight/tomorrow. :horse:
Don’t hesitate to message us for groups! I’d hate to have someone stop because they feel like they can only solo.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I caved and have been running around as a warlock since yesterday. Glynwelyr. They let me into the guild.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
morlac

Post by morlac »

Hit up Morlac if you need a fellow Gnome to take a beating for you. I have become quite the expert in getting my ass kicked and am lower level than most of the guild. Plus I bring lots and lot's of dynamite. Always fun!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I presume that was directed to me... I'm no gnome! I can't stand gnomes. Though I'll make an exception in others' case. You can't choose what you are. :P

I'm a human... which is also bad. Which is boring. But you can't be a Dwarven lock in Classic. :( And I wanted to play a lock past 15 for the first time.

Currently making my way through Westfall directly after Elwyn, which seems to be a mistake. I remember it being a chore back in Vanilla, too.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
morlac

Post by morlac »

Sorry! I just asumed you were a gnome because...theyre awesome! I typically only group with folks 3 feet and under but ill roll with a "tallie" on occasion :D
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Sudy wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:23 pm I presume that was directed to me... I'm no gnome! I can't stand gnomes. Though I'll make an exception in others' case. You can't choose what you are. :P

I'm a human... which is also bad. Which is boring. But you can't be a Dwarven lock in Classic. :( And I wanted to play a lock past 15 for the first time.

Currently making my way through Westfall directly after Elwyn, which seems to be a mistake. I remember it being a chore back in Vanilla, too.

Westfall after Elwyn is correct. You’ll even get quests that lead you there.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Darkshore after Elwyn is a better choice. A ton of quests and XP there and the quests are tightly grouped. One of the best leveling zones in the game, really. Better to get some levels there first and then go back to Westfall later, imo.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yes, sorry... when I said Westfall seemed like a mistake, I meant it was a poor choice.... :P

I read that Duskwood was ideal, but I just kinda went with the flow. After getting tired of dying to mechanical golems (or whichever they are), I wound up in Loch Modan for a bit.

I never played a human very far in Vanilla (or maybe ever), so it's been interesting to follow this path. I definitely remember hitting Westfall hard in Vanilla, but I don't know if I ever completed Darkshore or Redridge. Possibly once each, at most. Instead, I was obsessed with being "different", and as my main was a Dwarf, that meant questing almost exclusively in Kalimdor. Yet I'm pretty sure I hearthed in Ironforge? I must have been mad. Definitely remember taking the ship from Darkshore a lot. I think at one point I wised up and started using an AH/banking mule.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I still remember hitting a wall with dwarves. You hit Loch Modan, then halfway through... nothing. You're not high enough for the Wetlands, and there is nothing left at your own level.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

The "classic" design was all about keeping you in the game playing for as long as possible, so they deliberately spread things out and made it so you could either grind mobs in the same spot or venture out to other areas. In general I believe the intent was the latter, to have you run around all over the place and get a chance to visit the other zones. And then to come back again to the same zones multiple times when you are stronger, and perhaps then be able to help lower level people while you are there. That was the theory I think, and you can see many of the zones span a wide range of levels, even though there's clearly not enough quests to support them (e.g. Redridge 15-25).

Anyway, fwiw, here's the convoluted path (roughly) I followed as a human:

Elwyn - Westfall - Redridge (very briefly) - Loch Modan - Westfall (Deadmines) - Loch Modan - Redridge - Darkshore (long long run through Wetlands which I was told to skip) - Ashenvale

I tried to make it to Stonetalon but I made some mistakes and died, so I'm going back to human land, think it's time to check out Duskvale.

Here's a nice map:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When I was leveling leatherworking, or whatever it is, I would hang out in areas and wait for abandoned corpses, and if a newbie got jumped by too many mobs, I’d throw a dagger to aggrieved the later mobs onto me.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I'm getting disconnected trying to get in. As soon as I'm in, going to request an invite to the guild.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Torfish wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:42 pm I'm getting disconnected trying to get in. As soon as I'm in, going to request an invite to the guild.
Supposedly DDOS attacks on the servers? But that was just a Blizzard post in my twitter feed. No solid info to pass along.

Hope you get in soon!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, WoW was down or unplayable for about eight hours yesterday due to DDOS attacks, along with Overwatch. Apparently the same people attacked Twitch and Wikipedia at the same time, and they're at it again today.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I ran into a login server queue while trying to get into Retail this morning. :|

I can only assume it's due to the extra demand created by Classic.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:26 pm Yeah, WoW was down or unplayable for about eight hours yesterday due to DDOS attacks, along with Overwatch. Apparently the same people attacked Twitch and Wikipedia at the same time, and they're at it again today.
Xbox live and logins were down for about 8 hours on Friday night as well.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Wanderers are still going strong on Mankrik.

I just hit 31 on my gnome warlock and I’m on the low end in the guild. Nice to see 20+ people online still every night.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Redfive wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:44 pm Wanderers are still going strong on Mankrik.

I just hit 31 on my gnome warlock and I’m on the low end in the guild. Nice to see 20+ people online still every night.
It will be interesting to see if we can do some of the raid content. My 3 person crew isn't 30 yet, so we could get left behind.
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:14 am
Redfive wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:44 pm Wanderers are still going strong on Mankrik.

It will be interesting to see if we can do some of the raid content. My 3 person crew isn't 30 yet, so we could get left behind.

I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m dragging ass, comparatively speaking, at 32 and I’ve already got close to 4 days /played on the character. 😳
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

I keep intending to find time to play, but I am way behind! It is a busy season for me, but hopefully will clear up soon. Thanks for letting me join up with you all.

My wife is playing too so I would like to try to get her in the guild sometime too. I believe we plan to go all the way to 60, but it may take us a really long time, heh. On release back in 2004, we were pretty quick and got to 60 and burned out even before many people started doing raids. I am more of a single group person though, I think. Raids may be a bit too much dedication for me. I believe I will enjoy the journey again, though, so looking forward to it even though we may be so far behind for a while to join up with much guild events.

So far I have a level 8 warrior and 13 priest. Gekan, the dwarf priest if the one I have in the guild so far.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I am in no hurry and presently have an army of low level alts per usual (under 15). I am fiddling with trade skills on all of them as I never got into those previously. I've prolly done more resource collecting than questing at this point and I am fine with that.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

If anybody needs to be added feel free to send me (Starglide) or Banzai a message in game.