Age of Empires IV

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Age of Empires IV

Post by Smoove_B »

It's been what? 10+ years? Microsoft just published annoucement trailer. Looking for more information now...

EDIT: From PC Gamer:
Microsoft just announced that Age of Empires IV is in development by Relic Entertainment, creators of the Company of Heroes series and other beloved strategy games.

This would be Relic's first project produced for a publisher other than Sega, it's owner, since it was purchased by auction in the selling off of THQ's assets in 2013.
I'm just going to throw this out there - Company of Heroes is probably the single best RTS of the last decade.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Re: Age of Empires IV

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Totally in even if it looks halfway decent. LOVE that series.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote:
I'm just going to throw this out there - Company of Heroes is probably the single best RTS of the last decade.
That's pretty impressive, given that it came out 11 years ago! :tjg:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote:That's pretty impressive, given that it came out 11 years ago! :tjg:
Huh. I thought it was early 2007. Apparently it was September of 2006 - when my daughter would have been 6 months old. You can forgive me for having time confusion issues. :D

EDIT: I also have a bad feeling this is going to be a Win10 store exclusive game or some other such nonsense - like how they're trying to get people to purchase Rise of Nations through them by promoting cross-platform support. Fooled me once Microsoft Live For Windows, shame on you.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

"In" as long as I can issue commands while paused :)
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Smoove_B wrote:It's been what? 10+ years?....
According to MobyGames, it's been 12 years since Age of Empires III was released and 20 years since the first Age of Empires appeared.

I really enjoyed the first two games in the series, but I didn't like Age of Empires III at all.

I'm inclined to agree with you that "Company of Heroes is probably the single best RTS of the last decade."
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I wasn't a fan of Age of Mythology, but I loved the other games in the series. AoE II was a hard act to follow, but AoE III did a great job.

When I watched the trailer I started to worry that they were going to keep going to modern warfare, which would be a turnoff for me. It looks like it caps out at pre industrial, which means this would encompass the periods right after AoE I all the way to AoE III.

I'm in no matter what. This series has earned my blind devotion.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Greybriar wrote:I really enjoyed the first two games in the series, but I didn't like Age of Empires III at all.
I was the same and did eventually pick up a Gold (?) edition of AoE 3 at some point that included the two expansions. I think I played through them both, but it's all a bit fuzzy. I'm guessing it was around the same time that Company of Heroes came out and the differences between the two was simply too large to ignore. Glad I'm not alone in thinking CoH is a fantastic game. I still haven't quite found anything that comes close - not even the sequel.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I consider CoH to be in the RTS triumvirate (CoH, AoE II, Starcraft).
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

McNutt wrote:I consider CoH to be in the RTS triumvirate (CoH, AoE II, Starcraft).
I reject your RTS triumvirate and substitute my own! Namely, Company of Heroes, Rise of Nations, and Homeworld: Cataclysm (though were it a quadrumvirate, I'd likely also include AoE II).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I liked Rise of Nations better. Also, Total Annihilation is the all-time best RTS, aside from Command and Conquer (up to RA2. Then the series went off the rails).
There is no hug button. Sad!
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

AOE, first game that i played online competitively. Ahh, those simpler times. I was into AOE and AOK, mythology was cool but not really (as i was coming off my competitive kick of AOK) and AOE 3 never really got into.
I still remember, NY 2001 , Mamin Matty is best player in AOE at the time. I enter cometition in NY (i think it was one of the first live esport events). I get somehow to second round (i am dmer, and this was RM) and guess who i face.... Mamin Matty..... Damnnnnnn. Yep, got my ass kicked hard that day.

Just did a quick google. And there we have it:

AGE OF KINGS HEAVEN
DM Champ Crowned!
Posted 4/29/2001 @ 4:25 AM EST by Thunder
Our hearty congrats to RomanGladius who managed to win the DM Forum Championship! There was some serious competition in this event, and he faced long time DMer orangepanther in the finals.

The guy who lost: orangepanther .. yep that was me. I honestly dont remember that event or anything about it, i do know i won a couple of tourneys, but it seems like i lost a good bunch too :).
My claim to fame for a second was inventing goth rush strategy for AOK, and changing then current meta for a bit.
And back in the day a bunch of my friends were into it, and i specifically remeber a buddy of mine who was very sharp in everything (and pretty good player at AOK), who hated that he couldn't beat me ... fun times.
Did i mention i will be getting AOE 4 on day one?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

All this love for RTS games and no mention of WH40K:DOW 1? (2 wasn't really an RTS game like the others discussed here (not that it's a bad game, just not an RTS like the others described here) and 3 just sounds disappointing in whatever it was attempting to be).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Matrix wrote:AOE, first game that i played online competitively.
I once met a stripper in Salt Lake City who claimed to be a high level competitive AOE player in the Microsoft sponsored tournaments at the time. Never verified it. I do recall she had mastered the Vulcan death pinch, though.
Zenn7 wrote:All this love for RTS games
Not here, I mostly can't stand them. I think it comes from having to play so many bad ones as a game reviewer during the RTS heyday. I did find Rise of Nations palatable, even though I probably just played it a handful of times.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zenn7 wrote:All this love for RTS games and no mention of WH40K:DOW 1? (2 wasn't really an RTS game like the others discussed here (not that it's a bad game, just not an RTS like the others described here) and 3 just sounds disappointing in whatever it was attempting to be).
I loved Dawn of War - it was upon this framework that Company of Heroes was eventually created (if I'm remembering correctly), so there's definitely some respect to be given. I personally remember the original Dawn of War as a "transition" between games like Star Craft or Command and Conquer and Company of Heroes. I originally didn't like Dawn of War 2, but later came to embrace the change in scope and scale. I'm sure purists don't really consider it a RTS title, but I think I actually like it more than the original. But to be clear, Company of Heroes is still at the top for me.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Yep DoW began the "your unit is its own squad" mechanic of CoH. No longer did you have to keep moving your spawn point locations because your army kept moving farther and farther away from your barracks, you could fill out your squad "on the move", as it were.

Also, the CoH cover mechanic came from DoW. Not that Space Marines need cover! For the Emperor!
There is no hug button. Sad!
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Jeff V wrote:
Matrix wrote:AOE, first game that i played online competitively.
I once met a stripper in Salt Lake City who claimed to be a high level competitive AOE player in the Microsoft sponsored tournaments at the time. Never verified it. I do recall she had mastered the Vulcan death pinch, though.
Zenn7 wrote:All this love for RTS games
Not here, I mostly can't stand them. I think it comes from having to play so many bad ones as a game reviewer during the RTS heyday. I did find Rise of Nations palatable, even though I probably just played it a handful of times.

I used to be into RTS, but almost non for me this days. Not sure why, but minimal of that lately. Back in the very early days of RTS, i think everyone could be "competitive" player. Myself included, i certainly wasn't putting any serious hours for training nor was i particularly good at it. I was just really into it and played a good bit. I think it was much easier to play and feel like you are part of competitive scene because there wasnt really much of it, slow connection, modems, fun stuff. Now, even low level competitive is likely to be much higher then it was back then at high level. This days person needs very very high talent, time, special training regiment (mine was playing a bunch of games that day. I am sure i did some light drills, but it was minimal. Was mostly playing). Shortcuts was a coll thing back then, if you used shortcuts, you were half way to pro :)
Now it is big scene with some money. From what i remember, singing up for my NY tournament, all it took me just going on line and signing up. No line, nothing more, anyone could have. Since public was still very new to it in US.
Then there were amateur tournaments online (such as one i mentioned before). There was no money, and not much glory. Was a ton of fun though, i still have my AOE baseball cup. It is an ugly burgundy color, but hey, cant be choosers...
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

AOE3 is still 40 bucks on Steam. So with inflation this version should be like 200 bucks. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's been on sale many a time for $10 and below. It will be again.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh I know, I just think the 40 dollar retail is crazypants for such an old game.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Arrow animations are funky but otherwise I am happy with that.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah those arrow animations need work but overall looks great!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Jolor wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:27 am "In" as long as I can issue commands while paused :)
I'm with you Jolor! Hands and brain don't work that fast anymore. (Actually, never did!)
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

There's a stress test available this weekend through Steam. Doubt I'll have the time to give it a whirl, but I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the feedback on it so far.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I have 4 codes for 20% off Age of Empires IV (and some other new releases) from Green Man Gaming. It brings the price down to around $48 if anyone is interested.

PM me if you want one. First come, first served. You have until 10/15.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's out. I downloaded it for Gamepass this morning. Anyone have a chance to try it yet?

Update: okay, I’ve played through the tutorial and the first scenario of the first campaign. It’s basically age of empires classic. I don’t see any real changes so far. I’m not sure whether or not that’s good or bad though. I mean, why mess with a proven formula…but then again, I do like advancement in gameplay.

I will say the focus on actual history is sweet. You unlock actual video documentaries as you play through the campaign. So far, they’re great. I’m looking forward to seeing more of them.

The first campaign scenario didn’t really impress me. It felt like a dumbed down Total War battle. But one in which you can’t really lose. I’m hoping that was just a set up for the classic RTS experience though.

I’ll mess around with skirmish maps later. Maybe try some online multiplayer too. Of course, I’m old and suck at these types of games. But I still enjoy them from time to time.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I played through the first 3 scenarios. Like hepcat said, it's just a prettier Age of Empires - no real changes, but that's not a bad thing since I love the game as-is. As usual with campaign mode, you get a mix of hand-holded linearly scripted tasks with actual base building.

I will say I think they did an excellent job with the tutorial and easing you into the game via the first campaign. There's a real focus on unit strengths vs weaknesses that is sometimes glossed over in these types of games. In that sense it feels a bit like a "reboot" of the series to welcome newcomers.

Like hepcat I'm also greatly enjoying the historical videos interspersed between scenarios. You have to complete the scenarios to unlock some of them, but they're well worth it. There are shots of the historical landmarks in their modern day settings, overlays of historical figures on the actual landscapes, recreations, etc. It's really neat.

I believe there are five difficulty levels including two easier modes. Based on my enjoyment of the videos alone, I can definitely see myself playing through all the campaigns even if I have to just bump it down to story mode.