Let's play: Battletech via MegaMek

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

NickAragua

Re: Let's play: Battletech via MegaMek

Post by NickAragua »

Leraje wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:19 pm Can we do a custom refit on Mackie based of 8B replacing the AC20 with a Gauss?
We do have extra gauss rifles in stock, so yes.
Black Lives Matter
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:27 pm
Leraje wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:19 pm Can we do a custom refit on Mackie based of 8B replacing the AC20 with a Gauss?
We do have extra gauss rifles in stock, so yes.
Cool. That'll solve the heat and ammo bomb issues.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Leraje wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:19 pm
NickAragua wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:49 pm 1. Battleaxe BKX-1X
[] Leave as standard BKX-7K - good firepower, heat issues, mediocre armor
[x] Remove both LRM tubes - ok firepower, manageable heat, good armor
[] Remove one LRM tube - ok/good firepower, heat issues, acceptable armor

2. Mackie MCK-5S
[] MCK-7A - good firepower, heat issues, right torso ammo bomb
[x] MCK-8B - better firepower, heat issues
[] MCK-9H - better firepower, slightly worse heat issues, active probe

3. Cyclops CP-10-Z
[] CP-11-A - poor armor, ok firepower, easy heat management
[] CP-11-A-DC - poor armor, ok firepower (low ammo), easy heat management, command console
[x] CP-10-Q - excellent armor, mediocre firepower, easy heat management
Can we do a custom refit on Mackie based of 8B replacing the AC20 with a Gauss?
These all seem like sensible choices. Never been a huge fan of LRMs in general anyway, as the damage tends to be too scattered. On the Battleaxe, would it be possible to improve the firepower by removing the tubes in favor of an autocannon + additional armor?

On the Manticore, not sure what Fury lance is exactly, but I'd say put it on dropship defense too. I think that's in general a good use of armor unless there's a tank that's a particularly good fit for a lance.
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

2. Mackie MCK-5S

3. Cyclops CP-10-Z
[] CP-11-A-DC - poor armor, ok firepower (low ammo), easy heat management, command console
I like these ideas.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

gbasden wrote:

2. Mackie MCK-5S

3. Cyclops CP-10-Z
I like these ideas.
Same here
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:36 pm

2. Mackie MCK-5S

3. Cyclops CP-10-Z
These all seem like sensible choices. Never been a huge fan of LRMs in general anyway, as the damage tends to be too scattered. On the Battleaxe, would it be possible to improve the firepower by removing the tubes in favor of an autocannon + additional armor?

On the Manticore, not sure what Fury lance is exactly, but I'd say put it on dropship defense too. I think that's in general a good use of armor unless there's a tank that's a particularly good fit for a lance.
Agree with the choices and with the Manticore for dropship defense. Our dropships never seem well defended. A few heavier tanks should help.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 am

2. Mackie MCK-5S

3. Cyclops CP-10-Z

Agree with the choices and with the Manticore for dropship defense. Our dropships never seem well defended. A few heavier tanks should help.
agreed
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Stefan Stirzaker wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:12 am
Zenn7 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 am

2. Mackie MCK-5S

3. Cyclops CP-10-Z

agreed
Also also agreed
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 am A few heavier tanks should help.
Schrecks come to mind.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
Manticore reserved for dropship defense

Battleaxe - remove both LRM tubes - 10
Battleaxe - BKX-7K - 1

Mackie - MCK-8B - 9
Mackie - MCK-9H - 1

Cyclops - CP-10-Q - 9
Cyclops - CP-11-A-DC - 1
Spoiler:
Our jump path with a detour to Outreach. Dowles is way at the bottom near St. Ives space.

We'll drop the BattleAxe and Mackie off at Outreach for custom factory work. One of our mechwarriors suggests that the Mackie be upgraded with a gauss rifle instead of an AC/20, which reduces available firepower but frees up tonnage for extra heat sinks or whatever else we want to mount there. The Manticore will be reserved for dropship defense.

En route home to Dowles, we get reports from our survey crews continuing their work. A summary of the interesting finds:

- a couple of semi-automated ore processing facilities that can be repaired with little effort, allowing us to turn raw materials into a form usable in actual component manufacturing.

- a wrecked factory for producing Clint CLNT-2-3T chassis. While the building is a loss, we will be able to salvage components form it to reduce the construction costs on any facilities we want to repair or build that assemble components into mechs.

- another hydroponics facility capable of feeding thousands of people once repaired

- an almost intact research lab, where the Capellans were apparently working on replicating Star League upgrades to heat sinks (!)

----

We keep a look out for cool mechs and other parts, and make a few acquisitions.

Raven RVN-1X - the original Raven, a 35-ton mech of Capellan design with dual-purpose jack of all trades, master of none electronic warfare equipment - a combo ECM and active probe with half the range of each of the dedicated systems. Otherwise, it's not terribly exciting, but it's pretty solid on the recon/electronic warfare front.

Talon TLN-5W - now I know what you're thinking, this mech hasn't been in service since the 2800s. But apparently somebody decided to rebuild one and then sell it on the open market. At 35 tons, it mounts the maximum amount of armor protection it can, and moves as fast (on the ground) as a Spider or an Ostscout. How? With a 280 XL engine and double heat sinks. It's even got an extended-range PPC. We'll take it (for 6M), even if all we do is strip every component off and install it in other mechs (for example, we could put the engine into the BattleAxe, hook up another mech with the ER PPC and double heat sinks, or just leave the ER PPC as a replacement part).

We also snap up another pair of beagle probes (mounted on Hetzers, technically, but even the tank enthusiasts among us have destroyed far too many Hetzers to think about using them in battle).

In July, our jumpship finally reports that they've fixed all their broke-ass parts (with "only" a 50M C-Bill cost overrun). We'll have them stop at Outreach and replace any other worn-out parts at the repair facilities there. It'll cost another 50M C-Bills, but help prevent obnoxious breakdowns like this in the future. It'll also pick up our mechs, which will probably have finished refitting by the time it gets there.

Over the course of the next few months, we don't find any gunships, but we do find an Excalibur-class dropship for sale. The Excalibur is a 16000-ton fatty that carries... well, it carries a lot of stuff. 90 tanks up to a 100 tons, a company of 12 mechs, and space for 12 platoons of infantry, plus 440 tons of cargo space. It's got about the firepower of a Union, though, and comparable armor. At a whopping 479M, nobody's convinced that we really need it - we're still primarily a mech outfit after all.

Our current budget, after all the refits and repairs (and jump/survey costs) is 3.9B C-Bills. Not too shabby, although it'll go quickly once we start investing in planetary infrastructure.

Speaking of which, we should name our main compound. Taking suggestions.

[] Write-In

---

September 7, 3046
Dowles

Zenn7 and Scrub step into Gbasden's office on the Moonraker as it sits on the landing pad.

Scrub notes the three glasses and bottle of 'Glengarry Reserve'. "Wow, Major, you broke out the real good stuff." She remarks. "What's the occasion?"

Gbasden smiles, pouring everyone a half-glass, then waves a hand at both of the captains. "Have a seat, guys. I've been putting this off for a while, but I think it's time. Cheers." he adds, taking a sip. Zenn7 and Scrub look at each other, then follow suit.

Gbasden sighs, letting out a breath for a second. "I think it's time for me to hang up the neurohelmet."

There's a pause. Scrub frowns slightly. "What brought that on?'

Gbasden nods, taking another sip, savoring it. "Well, let's just say my pilot chair is worn out. I've been taking care of this company for over twenty one years, now. Can't say I've always done the best job, but I gave it my best effort." a brief pause. "I'm starting to lose my edge, though, and I don't want to wait until I start going senile and get a bunch of our people killed."

Scrub starts to say something, but Gbasden raises a finger. "It's time for someone else to step up and take the lead. I called you two in here because it's going to be one of you. All three of us have been with the company from the beginning, and I'd trust either of you with the role. Although... " he says with a chuckle, looking at Scrub. " ... you probably wouldn't have made the cut before you got your callsign."

Zenn7 remains quiet, finishing his glass of 'reserve'.

"I'll let you guys think about it, discuss it between the two of you. Let me know within the next couple of days, when I get back from hiking." the major finishes with a smirk.

---

In practical terms, Zenn7 is a better shot and has a better grasp of strategy. Scrub is a better negotiator and leader. Who's going to be our next company commander?

[] Yu-bao "Zenn7" Ting
[] Zanthe "Scrub" Pappathanassiou
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

We should pick El Guapo! He's brilliant *and* ruggedly handsome!
Who said that?
Black Lives Matter.
Stefan Stirzaker

Well well well. A shake up, has it been 21 years already. Gbadsen going to retire to our new planet while Gbadsen-2 steps up to the plate?

I think in top top spot we need a negotiator and leader and 2IC needs to be the strategizer.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

Stefan Stirzaker wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:56 pm I think in top top spot we need a negotiator and leader and 2IC needs to be the strategizer.
Agreed.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:12 pm
Who said that?
Report to med bay, you're getting delusional. Again.
NickAragua wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:41 pm [] Yu-bao "Zenn7" Ting
[x] Zanthe "Scrub" Pappathanassiou
I'm touched you think so highly of me, even though you haven't shown any signs of senility until now, thinking you're getting old and need to retire! Who'll teach these pups how pilot a mech properly? ;)

As for the command though, Scrub is clearly a better leader than I am. Don't worry Scrub, I got yer back. We'll keep this company up to Gb's standards!
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:50 pm
Who said that?
Techs just complained that someone has been leeching coolant liquid from the mechs. Again.
Stefan Stirzaker

Leraje wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:57 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:50 pm
Who said that?
Techs just complained that someone has been leeching coolant liquid from the mechs. Again.
I guess it's mostly hydrocarbons, though a remedial chemistry "hydrocarbon is not a appropriate drinkable alcohol" class needs to be run again.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

In practical terms, Zenn7 is a better shot and has a better grasp of strategy. Scrub is a better negotiator and leader. Who's going to be our next company commander?

[] Yu-bao "Zenn7" Ting
[X] Zanthe "Scrub" Pappathanassiou

Need someone competent to negotiate the C bucks!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Oh, well... Guess I'm superfluous now. :)
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:58 am Oh, well... Guess I'm superfluous now. :)
Just changing a single letter in your rank. Mayor Gbasden. :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Look, I haven't sought leadership, but if you guys really think I'm the right man for the job, I'll reluctantly accept.

Scrub can be my second in command.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

[x] The Forum
NickAragua wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:41 pm [] Yu-bao "Zenn7" Ting
[x] Zanthe "Scrub" Pappathanassiou
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

“The Octogon”
Black lives matter!

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Thunderdome.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
Scrub
In the end, Scrub and Zenn7 decide pretty quickly that Scrub will take overall command. This will set off a whole chain reaction of promotions, as a number of our other mechwarriors have decided to retire (or, at least seek work elsewhere) as well. This includes Mab "Paingod" Orme, Song "Zarathud" Jian, Hoshi "Moley" Higashi, Kesia "Freyland Mk II" Hauli, Iiro "Xwraith Mk III" Rintala, Shaheera "Stefan Mk III" bin Zaid, and Tyra "Siljanus Drusse. After cashing out their shares, all of our retirees are multi-millionairs (with payouts ranging from 20 to 40M C-Bills).

Gbasden racks up 208 kills over 112 missions, mostly with the Awesome, but some with a Warhammer, a Thunderbolt (RIP) and a Shadow Hawk.

Zarathud served with the company for sixteen years, joining up just after the Fourth Succession War, racking up 140 kills over the course of 84 combat operations. Almost all of that was done from the well-worn seat of an Awesome AWS-8Q - although that mech did go down for repairs a few times, allowing our mechwarrior to try driving around a Griffin ("good maneuverability, too light, not enough PPCs"), an Archer ("too many lasers, not enough PPCs"), a Charger CGR-1A9 (which, uh, got blown up its first time out), and a Warhammer ("good mech, could use another PPC"). At 53, our mechwarrior felt it was time to stop stamping around the Inner Sphere and take a well-deserved rest.

Paingod is the second oldest retiree, at 44 years old. Having joined our company just a few months after it was founded, the Sergeant Major started out in a Phoenix Hawk before getting it blown up and being reassigned to a Kurita-variant Shadow Hawk, then moving to a proper Griffin afterwards with a brief stint in an Ostroc, racking up 107 kills over the course of 130 combat missions ("I'm a recon pilot, information is ammunition.")

At 39 years old, Moley has served with us since 3033, joining the company just before we deployed to the Free Rasalhague Republic to participate in the Ronin Wars. Quickly moving up from a crappy Locust to an Archer (which blew up), our mechwarrior spent most of her career in a jump-capable Thunderbolt, with a brief visit to a Grasshopper ("... it's just not the same"). She definitely was a major part of 'Beta-Assault' lance, with 96 kills over the course of 62 missions. She'll be taking her Thunderbolt and joining LordMortis Mk I's Solaris VII stable.

Siljanus was a relatively new addition to the company, joining up shortly after the War of '39. The "retiring" mechwarrior is now 36 years old, and has notched 43 kills in 23 missions, and is considering helping form the planetary security force.

Stefan Mk III actually only joined our company on Unzmarkt, but decided not to leave their homeworld, and took a position with Larry's corporate security force instead, opting to keep the Catapult. The mechwarrior performed well, picking up 16 kills over 9 missions, and we wish her and her employer the best.

Freyland Mk II has been with the company almost as long as Paingod. Starting out as a complete greenhorn, the mechwarrior eventually became an unholy terror in that Quickdraw, even though, prior to the XL engine upgrade, we went through at least two of the things. It's hard to deny the mechwarrior's effectiveness, though, at 192 kills over 118 missions.

Xwraith joined us after the Fourth Succession War and is planning to return to the Draconis Combine, having served with the company for 17 years, and racking up 111 kills over 88 missions, almost entirely in a customized Thunderbolt.

Per contract, our mechwarriors may opt to take their BattleMech instead of a partial cash payout when they cash out. Did they do that? (subject to player override)

Gbasden:
[] Keep the upgraded Awesome (XL engine, ER PPC), 37M C-Bill payout
[] 40M C-Bill payout

Zarathud
[] Keep the Awesome and a 24M C-Bill payout
[] 30M C-Bill payout

Xwraith
[] Keep the upgraded Thunderbolt (ER Laser), 25M C-Bill payout
[] 30M C-Bill payout

Freyland
[] Keep the upgraded Quickdraw (XL Engine, double heat sinks), 26M C-Bill payout
[] 30M C-Bill payout

------

Let's talk about aerospace fighter refits. Upgrading heat sinks from singles to doubles frees up a *lot* of tonnage. And after reviewing our inventory, we've actually got double the DHS we've been expecting, up to 125. The reason is that we'll be stripping all of the Shilone SL-17Rs that we have, which do have double heat sinks but have absolutely no need of them (the standard SL-17R can cool itself off entirely with single heat sinks).

A couple of fighters are up for upgrades:
Eagle EGL-R9 is the first we consider, it's got awful heat management already. We've got two basic upgrade options, either up the armor from 14 to 24 tons (while being able to fire its 2x PPC and 3x medium laser continuously), or install three additional medium lasers (drawing inspiration from the R10 variant) and up the armor from 14 to 17 tons. The two options use 16 and 20 heat sinks respectively.

Gotha GTHA-400 is just a straight-up upgrade, even with double heat sinks it still has more guns than it can shoot without overheating. This will use up 14 double heat sinks.

Thunderbird TRB-D36 is also pretty straightforward. Double heat sinks let us maximize heat sink capacity and add an extra ton of armor. The aero jock would previously have had to manage heat, but can now just alpha strike every turn, almost doubling the actual available firepower. This will use 24 double heat sinks.

Lucifer LCF-R20
These guys, we have five of them. The R15 model has an LRM launcher mounted in the front, so we could bring that back with three tons of ammo for a little extra firepower, while maintaining the legendary armor levels of the R20 (24 tons). Each of these upgrades will use 13 double heat sinks.

We also have a couple of light fighters, but they do not need heat sink upgrades.

We can literally upgrade all of our fighters, although that'll leave us with only two spare DHS. Let's pick what we upgrade:

[] Eagle EGL-R9
- [] Major armor upgrade, 16 dhs
- [] Short range firepower + minor armor upgrade, 20 dhs

[] Gotha GTHA-400, massive firepower increase, 14 dhs

[] Thunderbird TRB-D36, massive firepower increase, minor armor increase 24 dhs

[] Lucifer LCF-R20, minor firepower increase, 13 dhs
[] Lucifer LCF-R20 x2, minor firepower increase, 26 dhs
[] Lucifer LCF-R20 x3, minor firepower increase, 39 dhs
[] Lucifer LCF-R20 x4, minor firepower increase, 52 dhs
[] Lucifer LCF-R20 x5, minor firepower increase, 65 dhs

-----------

Next update, we'll handle personnel re-shuffling and mech re-assignments. I'll leave command center name suggestions open over the weekend as well.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:09 pm
Gbasden:
[X] 40M C-Bill payout

As intimidating as it would be for the neighbors, 40m in cash is probably better than parking an Awesome in the back yard.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

[] Eagle EGL-R9
- [X] Major armor upgrade, 16 dhs

[X] Gotha GTHA-400, massive firepower increase, 14 dhs

[X] Thunderbird TRB-D36, massive firepower increase, minor armor increase 24 dhs

[X] Lucifer LCF-R20 x2, minor firepower increase, 26 dhs
[] Lucifer LCF-R20 x5, minor firepower increase, 65 dhs

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:42 pm
Gbasden:
[X] 40M C-Bill payout

As intimidating as it would be for the neighbors, 40m in cash is probably better than parking an Awesome in the back yard.
Just to be clear, it's 3MM that you're getting by cashing out the mech. You get 37MM to start either way.
Black Lives Matter.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Seems a shame to take such a beast from the company.
Will go with total payout.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:09 pm Gbasden:
[x] 40M C-Bill payout
Zarathud
[x] 30M C-Bill payout
Xwraith
[x] 30M C-Bill payout
Freyland
[] Keep the upgraded Quickdraw (XL Engine, double heat sinks), 26M C-Bill payout
[x] 30M C-Bill payout

[x] Eagle EGL-R9
- [x] Major armor upgrade, 16 dhs

[x] Gotha GTHA-400, massive firepower increase, 14 dhs

[x] Thunderbird TRB-D36, massive firepower increase, minor armor increase 24 dhs

[] Lucifer LCF-R20 x2, minor firepower increase, 26 dhs
[x] Lucifer LCF-R20 x5, minor firepower increase, 65 dhs
Keep the mechs in-house whenever possible.

Upgrade all of the fighters - Usually if an ASF gets shot up, it's a complete write-off anyway thus returning the surviving DHS to the spare pool.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:42 pm As intimidating as it would be for the neighbors, 40m in cash is probably better than parking an Awesome in the back yard.
You say that now, but have you met your neighbors?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:52 pm
gbasden wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:42 pm As intimidating as it would be for the neighbors, 40m in cash is probably better than parking an Awesome in the back yard.
I'm fairly sure that with 40M in the bank I can afford somewhere that doesn't require 3 PPCs to feel secure.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

gbasden wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:31 pm
AWS260 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:52 pm
I'm fairly sure that with 40M in the bank I can afford somewhere that doesn't require 3 PPCs to feel secure.
Hey, I know this planet that's slowly reopening where your neighbors would quite welcome you with your Awesome.

"HOLY SH!T... We ain't going there! The freaking civvies have Awesomes. I don't even want to know what the actual military forces there consist of!"

:D

Failing that though, cash them all out, we want our mechs.

And upgrade all the ASF's, maybe we will some fights. Put more weapons and some armor on that Eagle.

Our new base name - The Octogon sounded pretty good.
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:08 am Look, I haven't sought leadership, but if you guys really think I'm the right man for the job, I'll reluctantly accept.

Scrub can be my second in command.
Who let the Guap outta sick bay???
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Gonna miss all these good warriors. But some of them were getting close to my kill total, so at least I know I'm a little more secure first place now.

Wonder how long after I retire (or die) my name will stay on the top of the leaderboard. :horse:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Zarathud
[x] 30M C-Bill payout
I would leave the Awesome if the company promotes my protege aka Thud for a Bequeathing. And the meaningful personal token.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Xwraith
[X] 30M C-Bill payout
Looks like third time was the charm for surviving till retirement. But if I'm going to go Drac, then probably don't want to bring along a mech associated with mercs. Time to buy something new -- and maybe some land.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
Eagle - major armor upgrade - 3
Eagle - firepower upgrade - 1

Gotha - unanimous
Thunderbird - unanimous

Lucifer LCF-R20 x2 - 1
Lucifer LCF-R20 x5 - 3
Aerospace-wise, we decide to upgrade all the Lucifers, as we've decided that double heat sinks don't do our aero jocks any good sitting in a warehouse (and unfortunately they're not the same as mech heat sinks). The Eagle gets an armor upgrade to put it on par with a Lucifer, especially after the aero jock flying it points out that even just with the double heat sinks, she can now fire all her weapons all the time, rather than have to manage heat. The Gotha, well, it'll be better.

-----------

Scrub and Zenn7 look at each other across Scrub's new desk. It's time to re-organize the company, and there are some non-too-easy decisions coming up.

Alpha-Command lance needs two replacement mechwarriors, and someone put in charge. More importantly, Alpha company needs a new company commander - Gamma will become the new command company.

"Not sure I want El Guapo and Isgrimnur in the same lance with one of them in charge." Scrub says with a shudder. "Never understood how Gbasden kept them from wringing each other's necks."

"It's not going to be a command lance, either, now." Zenn7 adds.

"Don't remind me." Scrub replies.

Alpha Command's two most senior mechwarriors have not demonstrated the command aptitude necessary to lead an entire company. However, we'll be offering both promotions to Lieutenant Jr. Grade and the chance to lead a lance.

Isgrimnur
[] accept
[] decline

El Guapo
[] accept
[] decline

As for command of Alpha Company, our options are Leraje and Cujo. Leraje is is slightly better at personnel management and has a better grasp of overall strategy, while Cujo has a razor-sharp tactical mind and gets credit for being able to bring Gamma-Probe together from a crew of misfits to a tip-top shape recon lance.

[] Leraje
[] Cujo

Other than that, Beta-Assault needs two replacement mechwarriors, Beta-Hunter needs a replacement, Delta-Ranger needs two, and Gamma-Battle needs one.

We'll swap the Awesome out of Beta-Assault and put the refitted Mackie in its place. If anybody who hasn't just gotten retired wants dibs on that, now's the time to call it.

We'll also offer Wolf the opportunity to climb out of the Warhammer and into the BattleAxe (both potentially after a refit, discussed below):
[] Keep the Warhammer
[] Try out the BattleAxe

----------------

We also have some thoughts about what to do with the Talon. We don't have much room in our TO&E for a ground-bound 35-ton mech, with only one light mech lance composed entirely of jump-capable mechs. So, the techs (and some mechwarriors with a glint in their eyes) propose pulling the perfectly servicable 280XL engine and installing it into a mech that's capable of mounting the same class engine.

Currently, for us, that's the BattleAxe, our Grasshoppers, the Guillotine, the Archers and the 6D Warhammer.

A Grasshopper is already a finely-tuned combat machine. Neither of our Grasshopper pilots feels a need to have their mech taken apart. However, if we were to do it, Cylus' Grasshopper GHR-5H would upgrade to from an LRM/5 to an LRM/15 rack with two tons of ammo, while adding two heat sinks to make it completely heat-neutral when not firing the LRMs even after jumping. A modest, but solid upgrade. Hyena's GHR-5N would upgrade the PPC to the Talon's Extended-Range model and drastically up the heat sink count to help deal with the increased heat load - another solid but not spectacular upgrade.

The BattleAxe would drastically benefit from the XL engine - we would be able to mount four additional heat sinks and near-maximum armor without having to take off the LRMs.

The Guillotine would be able to mount an extra ton of armor and upgrade the large laser to either a PPC or large pulse laser (we have one in stock), while adding enough heat sinks to compensate for most of the extra heat.

For the Warhammer, we've actually done this upgrade before - take a standard 6R, drop half a ton of MG ammo, max out the armor, add an extra five heat sinks so the heat load becomes manageable while the armor stays as that of a 6D.

The Archers would just wind up with a bunch of extra heat sinks. Which is actually a big deal, because most variants of that mech are pretty heat-sensitive.

Obviously, there's only one 380XL engine, so we can only do one of these things.

[] Keep the Talon in one piece
[] Grasshopper GHR-5H - upgrade LRM/5 to LRM/15, +2 heat sinks
[] Grasshopper GHR-5N - upgrade PPC to ER PPC, + many heat sinks
[] BattleAxe - max armor, extra heat sinks
[] Guillotine - upgraded main gun, a little extra armor, extra heat sinks
[] Warhammer - max armor, extra heat sinks
[] Archer - extra heat sinks

------------------

Gbasden settles into the planetary governor's chair and breathes a contented sigh. With surveys still on-going, our long-term goals are still undecided. One of the main priorities for our new colony is to establish a chain of production so that we don't have to rely on external suppliers for our long term supply chain.

We've already identified a factory that we can repair that will manufacture standard armor, so that will be our first medium-term goal. We've got a big ol' buttload of cash, so our only real limitation right now is our ability to manage construction crews and hire the personnel willing and qualified to work on the assembly lines. That and a complete lack of support infrastructure of any kind. So, it'll take us some time to get it running. But when we do get it running at full capacity, it'll be able to put out a whopping four thousand tons of armor per year. Which certainly covers what we need (we've currently got about a thousand tons of standard plating sitting in our Jumbo), and will allow us to sell surplus off.

Another option (without knowing exactly what else we've left un-surveyed) is to see if we can bring some people in to re-build the research lab that was working on heat sink technology, and maybe some experts to see if they can come up with some improved schematics. It's a long shot, but the Great Houses aren't being generous with their double heat sinks, and you can't exactly walk into a Space Mart and buy a ten-pack for your engine.

Here's a list of projects currently available. Pick one:

[] Repair Nearby Housing - Our survey crews have evaluated a Capellan-design housing block capable of housing everyone that would need to work at our factory and any supporting facilities. Nice, spacious apartments (for Capellans workers anyway), all that's required is to knock down some walls so that people aren't living in a 3x3x3 meter cube and to apply a paint job - this will drastically lower initial construction costs. 140k construction cost, 100k/year maintenance.

[] Repair Agricultural Complex - A series of nearly intact (only a few minor cracks) "multi-level agricultural production facilities" can be re-activated and staffed with a minimal number of personnel. These will be capable of producing enough food to feed everyone of the several thousand people currently on the planet and then some. Repairs are really just re-attaching wires and re-activating the water pumps. 40k construction cost, 100k/year maintenance.

[] Raw Material Surveys - Our surveys haven't yet found any mines or boreholes, so, while our fleet is in system, we can get our dropships making detailed ground maps and send some aerospace units or mechs to check out interesting sites and flag them for our on-planet survey crews. No additional cost, but takes time to manage.

Repair Refinery - A slightly beat-up refinery is located nearby that can process the ores into refined materials necessary for the manufacture of standard armor. The equipment is a little rusty, there are no raw materials coming in, we'll need to bring power generators and the roads/rails are completely decayed. But we can get it up and running for when we do need it. The main choice here being whether to have the refining process be manual (like the Capellans had it set up when they abandoned the colony) or if we want to introduce automation - it's considerably more expensive, but then we don't have to hire people to manually taking chunks of metal from one conveyor belt to another.
- [] Semi-Automated 41.25M construction cost, 10.3M/year maintenance
- [] Manual 27.5M construction cost, 6.8M/year maintenance

Repair "Tier II" Factory - Standard Armor This facility needs a little structural reinforcement, the power generator is out, there are no refined materials available to make the finished product, no raw materials available to make the refined materials, no place for the workers to live (and nothing other than money to make them want to live there in the first place), no food for the workers to eat, and nobody to sell all that stuff to anyway. That being said, we can get it ready to go when we get all the support mechanisms set up. As with the refinery, we've got the option to go automated to reduce staffing requirements, or go Capellan-style to reduce costs.
- [] Semi-Automated = 116M C-Bills, 11.6M/year maintenance
- [] Non-Automated = 77.45M C-Bills, 7.7M/year maintenance

[] Reactivate Heat Sink Research Lab This facility looks like everything was shut down gracefully, the power got turned off, the doors locked and everybody left with the expectation of coming back the next day. So we could basically just turn it on and all the equipment will still work and the data will still be there. The main issue is that while we've got plenty of mech techs, we've got nobody with the necessary experience in either theoretical or experimental chemistry and high-energy physics. So until we can invite some folks over to work for us, this facility won't be of much use. 15k "construction" costs, 500k/year maintenance (projected based on current academic salaries and available workspace). Plus we'll probably have to provide "samples" of whatever tech we want these guys to research.

Current budget: 3.97B C-Bills
Current expenditures: 12.5M C-Bills / month (317 months of operating budget)
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I accept the promotion.

And food before apartments or mines.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:55 pm
El Guapo
[X] accept
[] decline

[X] Leraje
[] Cujo

[] Keep the Warhammer
[X] Try out the BattleAxe

----------------

[] Grasshopper GHR-5H - upgrade LRM/5 to LRM/15, +2 heat sinks
[X] BattleAxe - max armor, extra heat sinks

------------------

[X] Repair Agricultural Complex - A series of nearly intact (only a few minor cracks) "multi-level agricultural production facilities" can be re-activated and staffed with a minimal number of personnel. These will be capable of producing enough food to feed everyone of the several thousand people currently on the planet and then some. Repairs are really just re-attaching wires and re-activating the water pumps. 40k construction cost, 100k/year maintenance.

It seems like food, then housing, then something else should be the priority stack. As long as I'm no longer in the line of fire I can't wait to see the Guap's blimp brigade!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:55 pm
[X] Grasshopper GHR-5H - upgrade LRM/5 to LRM/15, +2 heat sinks
[] BattleAxe - max armor, extra heat sinks

[] Repair Nearby Housing - Our survey crews have evaluated a Capellan-design housing block capable of housing everyone that would need to work at our factory and any supporting facilities. Nice, spacious apartments (for Capellans workers anyway), all that's required is to knock down some walls so that people aren't living in a 3x3x3 meter cube and to apply a paint job - this will drastically lower initial construction costs. 140k construction cost, 100k/year maintenance.

[X] Repair Agricultural Complex - A series of nearly intact (only a few minor cracks) "multi-level agricultural production facilities" can be re-activated and staffed with a minimal number of personnel. These will be capable of producing enough food to feed everyone of the several thousand people currently on the planet and then some. Repairs are really just re-attaching wires and re-activating the water pumps. 40k construction cost, 100k/year maintenance.

[] Raw Material Surveys - Our surveys haven't yet found any mines or boreholes, so, while our fleet is in system, we can get our dropships making detailed ground maps and send some aerospace units or mechs to check out interesting sites and flag them for our on-planet survey crews. No additional cost, but takes time to manage.

Repair Refinery - A slightly beat-up refinery is located nearby that can process the ores into refined materials necessary for the manufacture of standard armor. The equipment is a little rusty, there are no raw materials coming in, we'll need to bring power generators and the roads/rails are completely decayed. But we can get it up and running for when we do need it. The main choice here being whether to have the refining process be manual (like the Capellans had it set up when they abandoned the colony) or if we want to introduce automation - it's considerably more expensive, but then we don't have to hire people to manually taking chunks of metal from one conveyor belt to another.
- [] Semi-Automated 41.25M construction cost, 10.3M/year maintenance
- [] Manual 27.5M construction cost, 6.8M/year maintenance

Repair "Tier II" Factory - Standard Armor This facility needs a little structural reinforcement, the power generator is out, there are no refined materials available to make the finished product, no raw materials available to make the refined materials, no place for the workers to live (and nothing other than money to make them want to live there in the first place), no food for the workers to eat, and nobody to sell all that stuff to anyway. That being said, we can get it ready to go when we get all the support mechanisms set up. As with the refinery, we've got the option to go automated to reduce staffing requirements, or go Capellan-style to reduce costs.
- [] Semi-Automated = 116M C-Bills, 11.6M/year maintenance
- [] Non-Automated = 77.45M C-Bills, 7.7M/year maintenance

[] Reactivate Heat Sink Research Lab This facility looks like everything was shut down gracefully, the power got turned off, the doors locked and everybody left with the expectation of coming back the next day. So we could basically just turn it on and all the equipment will still work and the data will still be there. The main issue is that while we've got plenty of mech techs, we've got nobody with the necessary experience in either theoretical or experimental chemistry and high-energy physics. So until we can invite some folks over to work for us, this facility won't be of much use. 15k "construction" costs, 500k/year maintenance (projected based on current academic salaries and available workspace). Plus we'll probably have to provide "samples" of whatever tech we want these guys to research.

Current budget: 3.97B C-Bills
Current expenditures: 12.5M C-Bills / month (317 months of operating budget)
I don't really care that much about an ER PPC on mine, but I think upgrading the other 'Hopper from a 5 to a 15 LRM is *much* more desirable. It adds an opportunity to soften up the opfor a bit before going in and blasting the bejeezus out of them.
Also, I agree with the food before anything. Housing next if we are going in order of importance. Then whatever can make us money from surplus.

Out of curiosity, how far apart are these buildings scattered across the landscape? Are these individual complexes 100 kilometres apart, or are they part of the layout of a city that can all be easily defended? I'm imagining a large city like New York or something, finding warehouses and docks and buildings within a couple of miles of each other. Or should I be envisioning it like Mechwarrior Mercenaries 5, with a walled factory here, a comm tower in a crater there, all scattered over a 1k square?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Upgrade the Battle-Axe.

Do we currently have anything better to do with dropships/AFs than scan the planet? If not, put 'em to work!

I'm sort of thinking we can do that and at least one of these construction projects, possibly more than 1?

Like Agriculture and Housing at the same time.

Then, in order:
Refinery,
Factory,
Lab

Semi-automated, reduce the number of people we have to protect/employ. Guessing there will be some advantages to that to offset the maintenance in some way, shape or form. If nothing else, fewer people is less chance of spies, someone inciting a rebellion, etc.