Red Dead Redemption 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Smoove_B »

Ugh, I was going to say I would have been more surprised if this launched without a hitch. I was guessing that was why it was 8am and not midnight - easier to have staff in to fix whatever problems are happening.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Makes sense.

I updated my nvidia drivers and have got past the [abort] [retry] [additional fuckery] screen shown in that reddit post. But nothing is actually launching. That thread indicates that putting an RDR2 exception in my virus software (or just turning it off) may help. I'll find out shortly.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

FYI for AMD users.
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.11.1 Highlights
Support For
Red Dead: Redemption II®
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It took about forty minutes to download the remaining content, decrypt, run DirectX and all the other stuff before I could play. I ran the benchmarker and with my settings was getting about 48 fps which is fine. I played just under an hour, which in typical Rockstar style consisted of several events partially consisting of cutscenes with me actually controlling the rest which served as a tutorial for the various game systems. I'm using an X360 controller on the PC and so I have to learn yet another control scheme, but that's OK. I've just now reached the point where I can select different missions by talking with people. I did spend a few minutes checking out the menus so I could locate the help and where to save my game.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:20 am I'm also German crypting myself.
Ich sehe, was du dort getan hast.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, after the decrypting, it installed some type of C++ and DirectX SDK update, then some type of patch. Launched and played about an hour without issue, I had to tweak the settings a bit, but it has that nifty memory advisor (like they have in GTA V) to let you know what's changing. Playing on native monitor resolution (1920 x 1080) and I had to drop textures to high (not ultra, by default) and then lower shadows and reflections. Might have dropped a few other things, but it looks fantastic. I might need a new card in the next year, but I can at least play this.

Hope everyone else gets sorted out.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Ultimately this is what I just found worked for me:
level 1
ivanov_r
Score hidden
·
20 minutes ago
I was able to fix it for my Nvidia 1080 ti (safe mode also didn`t help me at all).

Update GPU drivers.

Find and remove this file: C:\Windows\System32\amdvlk64.dll

That`s all, there`s no need to restart PC.

Please up vote so that more people can see this post and enjoy the western.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'll let you guys work out all the kinks so that I can get right into it when I get home tonight. :lol: Wonder how far I'll make it into the main story on a second run through? I really want to see how it is to play in first person with a mouse and keyboard.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I did see that you can switch to a FPS view, but (to me) it felt like slipping on an old pair of boots using the Xbox360 controller for this game...I'd imagine going first person and using KB/M would change quite a bit of the feel.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm so excited! I wish I could have taken the week off to play. But I'm at work and trying to beat down a budding migraine. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to play this evening. My fingers are crossed.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:33 pm I did see that you can switch to a FPS view, but (to me) it felt like slipping on an old pair of boots using the Xbox360 controller for this game...I'd imagine going first person and using KB/M would change quite a bit of the feel.
I have a feeling that mouse and keyboard will make the game too easy. I already played through the entire game on the PS4 with the controller. You're in for a f'n treat. I'm stoked to play it tonight so that should say something. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was already kinda blown away by how the horses (and people) were leaving individual tracks and trails in the snow. Just watching it slide away as we pass through drifts was mesmerizing. It seems like something that should be so impressive to experience, but it really looks amazing.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Just wait until you accidentally fall down a hill and land in mud. I had that happen where I tumbled down a hill and landed in a gigantic pile of mud. Left a giant print in the mud and was covered head to toe. It was so damn amazing.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:33 pm I did see that you can switch to a FPS view, but (to me) it felt like slipping on an old pair of boots using the Xbox360 controller for this game...I'd imagine going first person and using KB/M would change quite a bit of the feel.
On my PS4 playthrough, I ended up not using first-person very much. I found the cover mechanic to be a little awkward to use while in first-person.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There was a tiny patch pushed out at some point today, had to do a quick update before putting another hour in. I like that there's a strong narrative to start, but I really, really, really just want to get out in the world and start exploring. :D

It really just feels so fantastic on PC. Maybe strong sales will have them figure out a way to get RDR ported over as a GotY edition or something.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It was about two hours for me to reach a point where it became a really open world, do what you want game. I've died three times, one falling off a mountain, once by a passerby who I inadvertently took a shot at, and finally by wolves who pulled me off my horse. Fun times :D

I went off on a hunting trip as a mission and ended up way far way from the current community camp. So I'm slowly working my way back but I keep running into things to do and see. Yup, so far it's a lot of fun.

UPDATE: Oh, also I spent $150 on a horse. It is a really nice horse :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:30 pm There was a tiny patch pushed out at some point today, had to do a quick update before putting another hour in. I like that there's a strong narrative to start, but I really, really, really just want to get out in the world and start exploring. :D
Spoiler:
It happens soon enough. The early part of the game in the mountains is essentially your tutorial, and once you come down from the mountain, it opens up.
Btw, as far as horses go, there's a staggering amount of different horse types, and they aren't all for show. Each of them have their own strength, weaknesses, and temperaments. My advice: Get a good saddle, stirrups and saddlebags the moment you can. These will improve your horse's statistics, and the saddlebags will increase your horse storage.

https://ca.ign.com/wikis/red-dead-redem ... e_Upgrades
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:54 pm Btw, as far as horses go, there's a staggering amount of different horse types, and they aren't all for show. Each of them have their own strength, weaknesses, and temperaments. My advice: Get a good saddle, stirrups and saddlebags the moment you can. These will improve your horse's statistics, and the saddlebags will increase your horse storage.

https://ca.ign.com/wikis/red-dead-redem ... e_Upgrades
This is why I spent so much money on my first purchased horse. I figured its better speed might get me out of jams.

UPDATE: It was my first purchased horse. The first horse you get is a bit slow.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

SmooveB wrote:I was already kinda blown away by how the horses (and people) were leaving individual tracks and trails in the snow. Just watching it slide away as we pass through drifts was mesmerizing. It seems like something that should be so impressive to experience, but it really looks amazing.
An example of the detail in the game was in the tutorial when I was riding back to town with the deer I had killed. I took too steep a drop off a snow bank into the stream and my horse went flying and I took a tumble with it. The deer corpse came loose and started floating down the river. The only thing that saved it was it getting lodged against a rock where I was able to pick it back up again.

It would have been so easy to just not have the deer fall off if you take a spill, much less have realistic physics that carry it downstream!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that's another thing that really impressed me. The streams have realistic physics, and you do actually have to consider where you'll cross at times. They've really taken detail to the next level in this game.

And wait til you see when you take an arrow to an animal.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

11 tips for when you start out. BE WARNED it contains spoilers for easy loot too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, so the original was a 3PS view? I had no idea. I think I'd rather play FPS view myself but I guess I will find out.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm playing in the FP mode and it's pretty great so far. You have a ton of options on how you want it to work. I'd have to check my settings when I get home, but I had to change the setting for how it handled the camera while riding. You could for example have it so that it's FP everwhere except on the horse or when taking cover etc...

The gunfights in FP are exactly what I was hoping for. It's much more interactive than the gamepad where it's locking onto targets blech.

Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Octavious wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:33 am The gunfights in FP are exactly what I was hoping for. It's much more interactive than the gamepad where it's locking onto targets blech.
So, you can't go FP with free-targeting on the console version?
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Buatha wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:28 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:33 am The gunfights in FP are exactly what I was hoping for. It's much more interactive than the gamepad where it's locking onto targets blech.
I'm sure you can, but free targeting with a gamepad isn't the same as a mouse. I'm actually a little annoyed that even the lowest mouse sensitivity is still a little fast for me. I could adjust my mouse settings, but I don't want to. ;)

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Octavious wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:33 am I'm playing in the FP mode and it's pretty great so far.
Damn you!!! Just what I didn't need to hear...........
at least now I get to see how long 150 gigs takes to download on my rig......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just posted over on Rock, Paper, Shotgun... Skip the snowy tutorial and trot into town with these Red Dead Redemption 2 saves
Red Dead Redemption 2 has landed on the PC with all the grace of a bow-legged varmint drunk on moonshine. We’ve seen it first-hand. Hardware Sheriff Katharine headed into her gaming jail, ready to take on the Wild West’s most fearsome settings menu, but there was a crashing sound and a flaming cartwheel came rolling out.

There might be some comfort to those of you dealing with crashes, particularly if you’re being forced to replay the opening’s ponderous trod through the snow, because there’s a couple of chapter skipping save games already online. If you’re sick of the sight of the snow, or if you just played it before on console and can’t face a do-over, here’s what to do.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another article of interest, this time from PCGameN, How to fix Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC… just nuke your Windows install
Eureka! We’ve had a breakthrough moment with Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC, and finally managed to get the game up-and-running on our test bench. Facing a seemingly common issue with the game at launch, the “exited unexpectedly” bug, and after trying every RDR2 fix recommend by Rockstar to no avail, we finally bit the bullet and entirely rebuilt our gaming PC and reinstalled Windows – and now Red Dead Redemption 2 works.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, early on here...

I ran after some guy while in town and apparently grabbed some horse to do it (in the heat of things, I don't recall the moment)

After dealing with this guy, I got a message that I could return the horse to it's owner... but I don't see how I would have any idea who that is or how I would go about returning the horse.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Octavious wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:20 pm
Buatha wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:28 pm
I'm sure you can, but free targeting with a gamepad isn't the same as a mouse. I'm actually a little annoyed that even the lowest mouse sensitivity is still a little fast for me. I could adjust my mouse settings, but I don't want to. ;)
Yeah, man, I hear ya. I want to enjoy Fallout 4/The Outer Worlds without using VATS/TTD...but I can't shoot for shinola with a controller. I'm sure it would be the same for RDR2.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:44 pm Just posted over on Rock, Paper, Shotgun... Skip the snowy tutorial and trot into town with these Red Dead Redemption 2 saves
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend that for a first playthrough. You'd miss out on a lot of exposition and fun banter, plus when you come down from the mountain for the first time was one of my favourite moments.
Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:51 pm So, early on here...

I ran after some guy while in town and apparently grabbed some horse to do it (in the heat of things, I don't recall the moment)

After dealing with this guy, I got a message that I could return the horse to it's owner... but I don't see how I would have any idea who that is or how I would go about returning the horse.
As far as I can remember, just head back in the general direction of where you were, and the map should give you a blip and the man should greet you. As long as you're in the vinicity of someone, the map will always give you a more precise location.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, I'm in the part after the extended tutorial (that those saves let yo skip, I guess) and good lord - I'm getting insane Witcher 3 vibes from everything. I just jumped on a horse to try and contribute some food and I managed to track, hunt and then return a buck to the camp. I spent an hour just tooling around the camp and a 30 second horse-ride into the surrounding countryside to get the deer. The level of detail is continuing to blow my mind. Not only the animations, but seeing how people react to me after I've skinned the deer and then share with the camp. This feels like I'll be playing it well into 2020. :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

IMHO the level of detail tops the Witcher 3. Especially the wilderness. You could just wander for hours hunting animals.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, AFAIK there isn't a temperature / horse testicle algorithm in the Witcher 3 so you might be right on the level of detail. Again, I've played less than 4 hours and it's absolutely blowing me away. Believe the hype.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. If you're impressed now, just wait until you get further in :D This is my favourite Rockstar game, not just because of the detail, but because of the story. But it's certainly the most detailed Rockstar game to date.

Oh and Beware the Goat. Aside from the cougar, it's probably the most aggressive animal. It may look cute, but don't let your guard down when near them. They may look friendly, but no. No they're very much not.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I was just staring at how cool the mud is yesterday. :lol: Really going to dig in tonight. Not sure I'll make it all the way through the single player again, but we'll see. I'm playing as a total dick in this play through which is kind of entertaining. I have a hard time doing that in any game.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

The first game is one of my top 5 games of all time, so getting the second one on PC was a no-brainer for me. My only problem with the game so far (1.5 hours in) is the controls. This game seems to have a LOT of different key commands to remember, and none of them seem intuitive. I'm sure that as I play the game things will start to make more sense, but I'm really struggling with all the different commands, and how some need for the key to be held down and others don't.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Apollo wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:58 pm The first game is one of my top 5 games of all time, so getting the second one on PC was a no-brainer for me. My only problem with the game so far (1.5 hours in) is the controls. This game seems to have a LOT of different key commands to remember, and none of them seem intuitive. I'm sure that as I play the game things will start to make more sense, but I'm really struggling with all the different commands, and how some need for the key to be held down and others don't.
Just get you a HOTAS and map them all individually.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:00 pm Just get you a HOTAS and map them all individually.

My problem isn't reaching for or finding the right keys, its remembering what to push.

And besides, I never use joysticks or controllers to play PC games unless the game involves flying around in aircraft or spaceships. Otherwise it just seems...wrong. :P
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Apollo wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:58 pm The first game is one of my top 5 games of all time, so getting the second one on PC was a no-brainer for me. My only problem with the game so far (1.5 hours in) is the controls. This game seems to have a LOT of different key commands to remember, and none of them seem intuitive. I'm sure that as I play the game things will start to make more sense, but I'm really struggling with all the different commands, and how some need for the key to be held down and others don't.
For the record the controls are also pretty unintuitive on the controller as well, but eventually you just get used to them. It's another reason I will never finish the game. I can't bear the thought of restarting to relearn the controls.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter