Red Dead Redemption 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Freyland

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Freyland »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:27 pm With the speed of 2019''s internet, just uninstall games that you are not going to play in near future. You can always download them again when you want to play them.
Cool story, bro.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:57 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:27 pm With the speed of 2019''s internet,
Hilarious.

I was poking around and apparently R* still hasn't confirmed a PC pre-load will happen. That seems...like an unwise decision.
hah, i bet that post had to hurt a little :D
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It would have. I have a 150 Mbps data pipe now, after the move. But yeah, considering I was capped at 5 Mbps up until 2017? Trying to download this game would have been painful. It's not the fastest internet, but at least it's within the realm of speeds during the last decade.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:30 pm It would have. I have a 150 Mbps data pipe now, after the move. But yeah, considering I was capped at 5 Mbps up until 2017? Trying to download this game would have been painful. It's not the fastest internet, but at least it's within the realm of speeds during the last decade.
Mine right now is good for only about 32 Mbps. I could pay for faster speeds, but the only time I even notice is during game downloads. Still, I really hope they preload.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:55 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:30 pm It would have. I have a 150 Mbps data pipe now, after the move. But yeah, considering I was capped at 5 Mbps up until 2017? Trying to download this game would have been painful. It's not the fastest internet, but at least it's within the realm of speeds during the last decade.
Mine right now is good for only about 32 Mbps. I could pay for faster speeds, but the only time I even notice is during game downloads. Still, I really hope they preload.
And I'm still just 5 Mbs.... when the stars align.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, maybe an odd question. I'm playing The Outer Worlds, which turns out to be a game with a lot of loot collecting, like the Fallout series. It has been many years since I played the first Red Dead Redemption, so I don't really remember if the original was a game that included a lot of that. Does RDR2 contain a lot of loot collecting like a Fallout game? I'm hoping it's more of a GTAV on horseback, with main and side missions but not a lot of "wander around each locale, picking up everything not nailed down".
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

There's a lot of stuff you CAN collect, but you certainly don't need to. For example there's plants everywhere which is handy for making things. And there's all the different animals you can collect. The game keeps track of all the unique ones you find. Again this is mostly optional. I loved just wandering around and hunting animals. It's kind of amazing the ecosystem that they created in this game. My only recommendation is to wander around and soak up the atmosphere. You could just plow through the main quests, but you would be missing out on what really makes the game awesome.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:40 am There's a lot of stuff you CAN collect, but you certainly don't need to. For example there's plants everywhere which is handy for making things. And there's all the different animals you can collect. The game keeps track of all the unique ones you find. Again this is mostly optional. I loved just wandering around and hunting animals. It's kind of amazing the ecosystem that they created in this game. My only recommendation is to wander around and soak up the atmosphere. You could just plow through the main quests, but you would be missing out on what really makes the game awesome.
Thanks for the response. I don't mind collecting stuff, but I don't want it to be taking away from the immersion. And I'm not the kind who likes, as you say, to "just plow through the main quests". I like to take my time, it's one of the reasons I walk almost everywhere in Ghost Recon Breakpoint; I did the same in Wildlands. Heck, in GTAV I would set myself a goal of walking, say, from the east edge of Los Santos all the way to the beach on the west coast, just so I could get a close up look at all the details. Glad to hear that there is a lot to see and appreciate.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:35 pm OK, maybe an odd question. I'm playing The Outer Worlds, which turns out to be a game with a lot of loot collecting, like the Fallout series. It has been many years since I played the first Red Dead Redemption, so I don't really remember if the original was a game that included a lot of that. Does RDR2 contain a lot of loot collecting like a Fallout game?
Yes, perhaps even moreso. There's an elaborate animation when searching someone's body. Arthur will flip them right-side up, then check his pockets then pat him down to check for anything else. There's just so much loot in this game. There are also lots of optional collection missions.
Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:40 am It's kind of amazing the ecosystem that they created in this game.
Yeah, they really did an amazing job of creating a believable ecosystem. You'll often see animals go after their prey. It makes whatever was in GTAV seem like kiddie stuff. And there is just so much detail they put in that you wouldn't necessarily encounter. For example, I was doing some hunting missions. I kept returning to the same spot a few days later after I'd killed some alligators to find the bones of what I'd killed earlier. Individual Bones of varying sizes perfectly laid out where the alligator had been. This wasn't some simple texture work. They'd actually individually modeled very specific bones to simulate decay. Those little details blew my mind. I also tried it with a bird. Yep, the bird's splayed out wingspan was also laid out.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Anyone planning on playing online? I need me a posse!
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

~110 GB pre-load is now available for PC!
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Je-sus!
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

You better start downloading now Smoove. Or do you have a better connection now? :) I'm going ti have to clean house on my ssd for this damnnnn.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nah, I'm good. I started this morning and have 2 hours to go. I think it was ~6 hours total time to download, which is reasonable. I can't even imagine how long it would have taken at my other house, particularly if it didn't like being stopped and restarted - like Elder Scrolls Online did to me. I'll be curious to see how long it takes to unpack and actually start playing next week.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm looking forward to all the screenshots :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm surprised I didn't get an email saying the download was available. Also I'm not finding a download meter or time left; maybe it is on another page.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:55 pm Also I'm not finding a download meter or time left; maybe it is on another page.
If you float the mouse cursor over the bottom edge of the Rockstar launcher window, the progress bar will slide up.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:55 pm I'm surprised I didn't get an email saying the download was available.
I'm sure the last thing they want is people to start hammering their servers. :D
morlac

Post by morlac »

Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:12 pm Anyone planning on playing online? I need me a posse!
I wan't planning on getting this for PC but an OO posse of ill repute could persuade me to Double dip from Xbox.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

morlac wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:21 pm
Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:12 pm Anyone planning on playing online? I need me a posse!
I wan't planning on getting this for PC but an OO posse of ill repute could persuade me to Double dip from Xbox.
It's really the main reason I will double dip. I'm not loyal enough to not join a QT3 if there's not enough interest here. :lol:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:01 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:55 pm Also I'm not finding a download meter or time left; maybe it is on another page.
If you float the mouse cursor over the bottom edge of the Rockstar launcher window, the progress bar will slide up.
Thanks!

Sheesh, downloading at 4.5 MB/s (36 Mbps, right?). It's been running for quite a while and still have five hours to go according to the readout.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Octavious wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:48 pm
morlac wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:21 pm
It's really the main reason I will double dip. I'm not loyal enough to not join a QT3 if there's not enough interest here. :lol:
I hear ya, no such thing as a 2 man posse.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I'm up for trying the online play, after I get in a few hours of single player and learn the ropes.
-something witty-
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Interesting location that they chose for this trailer. I won't spoil anything, but it's from a particular location accessed via plot point that after is over, is never revisited again.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Timing is good to put this d/l on October's (already well-over-the-cap) internet usage. Sure Comcast charges me the same for 1 Gb service as Century Link was charging for a 150 Mb download, but the Tb monthly cap looks like is going to be an issue...
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Enough

Post by Enough »

The Meal wrote:Timing is good to put this d/l on October's (already well-over-the-cap) internet usage. Sure Comcast charges me the same for 1 Gb service as Century Link was charging for a 150 Mb download, but the Tb monthly cap looks like is going to be an issue...
Signed, I had the same issues. Too bad you don't still have the access to community broadband ala Longmont!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Enough wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:20 pm Signed, I had the same issues. Too bad you don't still have the access to community broadband ala Longmont!
Sorry to hear it. :(

There are so many Longmonties who've relocated east of I-25, that there's actually a task force looking into what it would take to mimic the same thing out here in Firestone. I'm sure it'll take years to figure out the final plan (certainly longer than my 1-year contract with Comcast), but maybe something good comes of it.
morlac

Post by morlac »

The Meal wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:12 pm Timing is good to put this d/l on October's (already well-over-the-cap) internet usage. Sure Comcast charges me the same for 1 Gb service as Century Link was charging for a 150 Mb download, but the Tb monthly cap looks like is going to be an issue...
I went for an unlimited cap from Xfinity recently. Was a cheap upgrade/addon with their fastest DLoad package. With my Daughter starting to game more we were hitting our old cap every few months. I promptly celebrated by Downloading 1.5 TB's of XBox games from Game pass overnight :).
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Awesome. Way to stick it to 'em!

The cost of unlimited is the same as the incremental costs were I to use 1.25 Tb in a month (though I believe they'd let us go incremental at $10 more per 0.05 Tb up to an additional 1Tb, for a cost of +$200). I've set my Synology router to pay strict attention to our incoming/outgoing flow in an attempt to prevent another breaching of the cap. Of course with MHS frequently working from home broadcasting webinars and the like, maybe we can convince her corporate overlord to pay for a hypothetical unlimited plan...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh boy...
Release time for Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC is said to be 05:00 PT, 08:00 ET and 13:00 GMT on November 5th.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:29 pm Oh boy...
Release time for Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC is said to be 05:00 PT, 08:00 ET and 13:00 GMT on November 5th.
Ya that's a bummer. I was hoping for midnight.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:06 pm
Ya that's a bummer. I was hoping for midnight.
Me too. However the wife leaves at eight in the morning to go teach a class so I'll just have her wake me on the way out :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have it loaded up and ready. I think there's parent teacher conferences tomorrow night. :grund:

The Meal

I can haz playing now?

Post by The Meal »

And...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Decrypting...
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I needed to restart the launcher. I'm also German crypting myself.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I got up at eight but decided to shower and shave and that was good timing, since the launcher is still downloading an update to the game :roll:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I can extrapolate (my hobby), it seems like it's going to take 50-60 minutes to decrypt. I'm on a traditional HDD so anyone on an SSD can likely chime in with faster times, I'd imagine.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »