Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn by Guerrilla Games

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Baroquen

Re: PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn by Guerrilla Games

Post by Baroquen »

Did not get my money's worth. (And I bought it on sale). Bounced off it pretty hard, with no yearning to return.

(Just a counterpoint to the raves. Glad they enjoyed.) And an interesting observation regarding the exclusives. It bears watching down the line. You'd think they keep some exclusives to help push PS5 when it launches.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Baroquen wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:40 pm
Did not get my money's worth. (And I bought it on sale). Bounced off it pretty hard, with no yearning to return.

(Just a counterpoint to the raves. Glad they enjoyed.) And an interesting observation regarding the exclusives. It bears watching down the line. You'd think they keep some exclusives to help push PS5 when it launches.
They are. They've recently said that they have no intention of releasing games on PC at the same time as they arrive on PS4/PS5. So, while the PC version arrives, the upcoming sequel will still be for the time being a PS5 exclusive.

Anyway, I've been playing this for the last several months and beautiful game. I love the storyline, but the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired at times. I find that having a bow as a main weapon makes it harder than it needs to be. I think I'm heading towards my final mission, ie heading down to the earth, if that is the final one.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I wish this was out now so I could play it if I get quarantined for COVID.. hehe
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just finished this, so here are some thoughts:

I liked the game, in particular the story. The combat, err... not so much. There are a lot of contradictions in the gameplay. For example, the game likes to emphasize stealth aspects, but at some points in the game, they'll force you out into the open or either pit you into close quarters, such as in one of the cauldrons. And being that there are so many of those robotic animals around everywhere you go, it makes it hard to be stealthy, especially when you come across those that can detect you when hidden. I mentioned before the bow, and I found the combat using it was much too difficult for its own good, particularly when you have to scramble around trying to find a good spot to hit from. So yeah, I wasn't a big fan of that bow-style combat. It isn't even so much that it's difficult, but that enemies tend to be take lots of arrows and it's severely imbalanced in places.

I never had any room in my inventory and kept having to swap stuff even with upgraded pouches. You come to a point where you've already gotten rid of anything you possibly could that isn't critical and still don't have enough room, and this was about mid-game for me. This game has a serious inventory issue.

End-Boss was utter bullshit. Yeah, I get that they maybe wanted to give players a sense of urgency, but it isn't like combat isn't difficult enough as is. They go and add a timer to the end-boss. A timer. On top of that, it sends out other corrupted robots after you while you're trying to destroy the thing. Even on easy, I barely killed it with enough time to spare, I think I was down to 90 seconds when I finally killed the thing. :shock: I'd love to say that I did all this while under cover, but that's another thing. In certain cases, cover is absolutely useless as it can crumble before you from anything that attacks. I had the best armor on and I still struggled so much with this boss fight, it's unreal. I would have killed it quicker, but I couldn't craft any precision arrows, because my inventory was already maxed with other resources and none of what the high precision arrows are needed for.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Daehawk
Loading…

Post by Daehawk »

Didn't you also have trouble with another none problematic game? .. #past_gaming_age_gamer :P

Im kidding you. Some games do give one a problem and not another I know. I got only half way in this game before I stopped playing for something else so I got no room to really comment on it a lot. I will say I also HATE timers of any kind. By the time Im done Im breathing fast because Ive held my breath and my heart is racing. Or worse ive broken my control device in frustration.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Stop throwing things at the TV, Dae ;)

Heh, but yes, I do often have trouble with games. Admittedly, I don't do very well in the heat of difficulty. I easily get frustrated. So, when I put something on easy and I don't find it easy.... you can bet I'll rage :D I just realized that I was playing that battle not on easy, but on Story, but I still felt it was difficult. I do appreciate when games allow you to change the difficulty on the fly though, as that helps a lot.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Daehawk
Loading…

Post by Daehawk »

I always played on normal until a few years ago and Ill put stuff on easy or story now days. Im more into stuff for the stories usually anyways.

Ive not trusted difficulty settings since some game in the 90s. I dont recall the name but the settings came reversed. So easy was the hardest and hard was easy. So now days when I put it on easy and still have trouble my first thought is its broken instead of me hehehe.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk