PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn by Guerrilla Games

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

MonkeyFinger

Re: PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn by Guerrilla Games

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So... after dancing on the edge of the end of the main story line, I decided to finish it up last night. Thank goodness for the 'ancient armor'. What an awesome game with an ending to match. <sniff> And a stinger after the credits to boot! LOL

Can't wait for more. In the meantime, going to stick with my current game (rather than jumping to NG+) now that it's set back to just before the final battle so you can go back to free roaming while everyone wails about the battle about to start. :wink: I need to get those last few collectibles and maybe finally go complete the dang hunting challenges. Doubt there are "full Blazing Suns" in my future but who knows? Would mean my first platinum if I can... yes, first in spite of playing PS games since they had trophies. Hard for me to actually care enough to hunt them all down or actually finish a game (they have been few and far between) and totally not happening if the game has multi-player trophies. :(
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone know a good place to buy physical copies of games. I hate Gamestop and dont care for Walmart and Amazon was wrong too. Where else would be good?

I 'thought' I was saving money by getting it at Gamestop but when all was said I ended up with 5 day shipping for $2 more than 2 day at Amazon..but Amazon was out of stock of this game.

Any good places to order online physical copies and use PayPal to pay? Thanks. Now Im mad..I F'n HATE Gamestop.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My copy of the game should arrive today. So excited to finally play this. I dont think Ive heard a bad thing about it.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

The only bad thing is having to wait until November for the expansion to come out. :cry:
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MonkeyFinger wrote:The only bad thing is having to wait until November for the expansion to come out. :cry:
Yeah, my thought is that the only negative is it ends.

Imagine how bad the wait might seem if you had sold your copy to some caveman, even he was an officer of the caveman legions!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I borrowed my nephew's copy and ended up buying it on sale. I probably should have tracked down a used copy and saved some $. I just bought the download from PSN when it went on sale.

It was a ton of fun and I am eagerly awaiting the DLC.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish I could turn up the volume on this game..or my PS4 in general. I have my headset plugged into the controller and have the PS4 and the headset both maxed on vol and its not even normal level of sound. I hear my wife's tv behind more than my game and my headset is closed cups.

I know my headset needs power to push them as they are high end so maybe thats it. Cant test that out. And I dont think theres anywhere else to plug them into the PS4. All I want is a bit more loud to it. Why are companies like that these days...my PSP sucked for vol.....my tablet sucks for vol...the PS4 sucks for vol. Is it more of this bubble wrap society we live in?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Such a beautiful game world. I was hoping to stay a child a bit longer and explore and learn a tad more also.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im about to head to the proving ground test. Im guessing that will end the tutorial part. Before I go Im running all over trying to find quests and ruins. So far Ive found 2 quests with the green ! mark and the old ruins I fell into as a child and got into the blocked storage areas of it. I still need to search and make sure Ive not missing much then Ill meet Roch Roct..whatever his name it.

I was really hoping for more childhood time and more interacting with my father figure.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

OMG! I hate Aloy at this moment!!
Spoiler:
Was at the proving grounds when Rost saves me and I lay there moaning from a SCRATCH!! Theres not even any blood. A damn flesh wound and I let Rost die.
Its just like all other games. I can kill 50 enemies but if theres some story plot I have to see then a midget could kill me.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Daehawk wrote:Im about to head to the proving ground test. Im guessing that will end the tutorial part. Before I go Im running all over trying to find quests and ruins. So far Ive found 2 quests with the green ! mark and the old ruins I fell into as a child and got into the blocked storage areas of it. I still need to search and make sure Ive not missing much then Ill meet Roch Roct..whatever his name it.

I was really hoping for more childhood time and more interacting with my father figure.
Make sure you destroy all the training dummies you come across. There are 23 in total. There's a trophy for getting them all and its a pain in the ass to back track and get them all if you aren't looking for them.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

too late :)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Daehawk wrote:I wish I could turn up the volume on this game..or my PS4 in general. I have my headset plugged into the controller and have the PS4 and the headset both maxed on vol and its not even normal level of sound. I hear my wife's tv behind more than my game and my headset is closed cups.

I know my headset needs power to push them as they are high end so maybe thats it. Cant test that out. And I dont think theres anywhere else to plug them into the PS4. All I want is a bit more loud to it. Why are companies like that these days...my PSP sucked for vol.....my tablet sucks for vol...the PS4 sucks for vol. Is it more of this bubble wrap society we live in?
I apologize if this is a stupid question - but are you aware that there are sound settings within the game as well? I certainly had to tweak them a bit as Aloy speaks quietly and I sometimes can't hear her as well as I'd like in the sound mix. But I didn't have problems with the game, as a whole, playing too quietly.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh yes. All games are like this. I have the headset up, I have the PS4 up and all settings set right, and all games maxed. Its still low. Its like my PSP ...it was always too low also. Same with pads.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Daehawk wrote:I was really hoping for more childhood time and more interacting with my father figure.
Not to worry, you'll get to visit him again. :wink:
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Their superstitions really bug me with how stupid they are. But then again I know what all this stuff is and they are just scared of it from stories handed down from their ancestors to protect them and explain it as best as possible and then those stories being corrupted over the years.

Maybe this is all a dream and Im in a stasis pod inside the mountain bunker and the computer is running a simulation to see if we humans are ready to enter a changed world lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Proven fact: The Nora are all crazy.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

All I need is Blazing Suns in all fifteen trials of the five Hunting Grounds to platinum the game and... not sure I can do it. Farg! May just keep me busy until November after all. :cry: Will keep plugging away, though.
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I still need to do that first hunting grounds...the lvl 8 one. Every time I talk to him then go down the rope slide it says failed.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Odd... make sure you have whatever weapon(s) are required for the trial. Thought it wouldn't even let you start in that case but perhaps that's why you are immediately failing...
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well now Im in deep. I found a cauldron and went in. Over my head. I found a few loot boxes and killed a few machines. Then I rode a flying box all the way to the back of the place where theres a big machine that eats me everytime I get to it and it simply reloads me back there .Im screwed.

I have learned that I can sell all the stuff marked merchant or at least not marked crafting items.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

That's the way all of the cauldrons work... find your way to the heart and then prep before unleashing the 'boss' there. I would kill whatever is usually patrolling there and then lay out a bunch of traps. That way when you unleash the beast you can run it around and through them while you snipe at it.

Worst case reload before and come back later. You've got 6 manual saves, 6 auto saves and 6 quick saves out there so something should work for you.
-mf
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I'm close to the end and I'm missing 3 power cells for the super armor. Figuring out which ones to hunt down is going to be a PITA. But I will need them for the platinum.

I also have 3 hunting grounds left to try, but so far those haven't really been a big challenge for me.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there only 1 super armor? I came across some in a cave in a closed room that needs about 3 batteries and I only had one.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

That's the only one.
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

You'll get access to the power cells during the main story line as you get much closer to the end.
-mf
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Scraper wrote:I'm close to the end and I'm missing 3 power cells for the super armor. Figuring out which ones to hunt down is going to be a PITA. But I will need them for the platinum.

I also have 3 hunting grounds left to try, but so far those haven't really been a big challenge for me.
I collected the remaining power cells and got blazing suns at all of the hunting grounds this morning. Now all I have left to do is finish the main story. It should be a breeze with the ancient armor and all of my skills unlocked.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know what happened but suddenly Im overmatched everywhere I turn. The cauldron is lvl 8 and Im well above that but it kicks my ass. I loaded outside of it and go to do some quest. Go one way to a lvl 15 quest get my ass kicked. Go another to do a lvl 8 and a corrupted zone kicks my ass repeatedly even though I cleared another same lvl easy. I try to go back and do the lvl 8 hunting quests and fail over and over. Had enough of this game for now. Come back to it another day.
Ralph-Wiggum

PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn by Guerrilla Games

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The level designation on quests doesn't really mean much. Even at level 40 I would occasionally have trouble with some quests rated in the teens.
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Daehawk wrote:I dont know what happened but suddenly Im overmatched everywhere I turn. The cauldron is lvl 8 and Im well above that but it kicks my ass. I loaded outside of it and go to do some quest. Go one way to a lvl 15 quest get my ass kicked. Go another to do a lvl 8 and a corrupted zone kicks my ass repeatedly even though I cleared another same lvl easy. I try to go back and do the lvl 8 hunting quests and fail over and over. Had enough of this game for now. Come back to it another day.
First: I would verify that your difficulty level hasn't glitched/reset to something more difficult than what you enjoy.

Second: Note that as you use your staff on enough of each base type of enemy - "they" will develop/evolve the armored versions or that enemy. So that may also explain it. IIRC there is only one step up in armor (so two versions of each enemy). You will need to evolve your play style to do more attacks that reduce the added armor. For hand-to-hand that is light staff attacks. For ranged, use ammo that does tear damage. This will be needed anyway as you face larger and better armored opponents. FWIW - when you scan an opponent, you can see their level.

Third: Alternately, you may have changed into arms and armor that aren't modded. When you get to mid game, you will start to need multiple optimized (modded) armor to defend against elements. With weapons, I usually just modded each weapon for the ammo types and methods I used the most on that particular weapon. I didn't need keep multiple, differently optimized, versions of weapons. YMMV depending on your play style.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

1. Im still doing ok against the stuff I usually do ok with. It seems to be the new stuff that I just cant do damage much to.

2. I haven't changed weapons in a long time and didn't realize that. I should look.

3. Im still in my old armor. Ive only changed twice since the guy in camp gave me my first set. I better spend shards and get some.

Ive been saving all my loot since the start except when I make ammo. A lot I cant even loot any longer. I also have maybe 6000 shards. I need to stop and spend time selling everything that doesn't say craft item on it. I think all the stuff that I can part with say merchant on them...I hope.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Better weapons and different weapon types will make a big differences. The first armor you get is pretty crappy; definitely worth spending some shards to upgrade and diversify armor types as well.

One thing that made the game easier for me was the "lure" upgrade. The ability to call over specific enemies to either sneak attack them or convert them was huge.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got that one first :)...still helps.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I decided early on that I was in more for the story than the intricacies of the combat so dialed it down to "easy". Never looked back. :wink:

Oh yeah, and waited far too long before I started getting serious about my armor and making full use of all of the upgrades available to it and the weapons.
-mf
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

MonkeyFinger wrote:I decided early on that I was in more for the story than the intricacies of the combat so dialed it down to "easy". Never looked back. :wink:

Oh yeah, and waited far too long before I started getting serious about my armor and making full use of all of the upgrades available to it and the weapons.
I did the same. Started on Hard and did enjoy some of the challenges it presented. But by the time I made it probably 1/3 the way through, I pretty much found what I enjoyed most was exploring the world and story. The combat certainly was enjoyable, but with limited time for gaming, going to Easy mode ended up being a good decision. I never looked back either. :)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Daehawk wrote:I dont know what happened but suddenly Im overmatched everywhere I turn. The cauldron is lvl 8 and Im well above that but it kicks my ass. I loaded outside of it and go to do some quest. Go one way to a lvl 15 quest get my ass kicked. Go another to do a lvl 8 and a corrupted zone kicks my ass repeatedly even though I cleared another same lvl easy. I try to go back and do the lvl 8 hunting quests and fail over and over. Had enough of this game for now. Come back to it another day.
I had the same experience after I emerged from my first cauldron. The game takes off the training wheels at this point. What you need to keep in mind is that you're not really supposed to fight everything all the time. Those medium-sized enemies you're struggling with? Just avoid them. Soon enough they'll be cannon fodder, but for right now you're not really ready to deal with them because of your limited options and damage output.

I really enjoyed this aspect of the game, feeling as if I was in way over my head. Most modern games are power fantasies (and this one eventually becomes that too) or are so balanced that you'd never run into dangerous enemies until you're ready for them, but Horizon doesn't care. You'll soon bump into another spike in difficulty as you continue to explore, which means you often need to plan your routes to avoid the enemies that would eat you alive. The ones you're struggling with right now are medium-sized. Depending on where you go next, you could be struggling to avoid the largest enemies in a few hours.
Insert witty comment here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats why the Elder Scrolls games just miss the mark with me. They are really fun and I love them but never running into hard areas was boring. I like having stuff that can kill me.

I went back to the earlier areas. I completed the hunting trial and killed some beasts. I really want that purple armor but Im missing an item to trade and after killing a couple of the things that would have it I still dont have it. They are a little hard to find so just taking my time and stopping rushing around.

Still avoiding the cauldron for now. I prefer the outdoors areas more. Im now at the place where the Nora Warchief wants to kill the attackers. Im wishing this place had a vantage point. I love seeing back into the past. Strangely the devs didn't use this feature to let you find hidden places or solve a puzzle to find a secret old area. Could have been more to it.

Also cleared a few corrupted areas that had given me trouble. Just have to go slow and pick stuff off.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I went back and finished that cauldron.
Spoiler:
I now know where machines comes from but not yet why.
I knew it! I got the best armor I could in Nora lands then get to the next merchant and they have a weapon I want and wouldn't you know it....it requires something I sold earlier. ARGH. I cant keep everything I find so figured if I have to sell stuff Ill sell what is tradable to merchants and keep all crafting stuff. But that item is what I needed to trade for a bow! I need more room than I can craft. Now I gotta go hunt the machine that has the part I need.

Also why oh why does armor HAVE to come wit ha silly headband. they look horrible. And make Aloy look crosseyed.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

You probably have realized this, but only stuff that just says "can be sold for metal shards" (or whatever the money is) won't be used for crafting certain items. In general, I tried to just keep one item slot for most items, except for those that I used all the time (e.g. wood).
Black Lives Matter