[Sid Meier] Civilization VI

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lassr

Re: [Sid Meier] Civilization VI

Post by Lassr »

Just played again and won the space race and they have changed it since i last played. Now you launch the exoplanet mission and it takes 50 light years to reach it's destination (1 light year per turn) and you can do projects or special world congress events to speed it up. I like it! Some of the advanced techs and governments add a nice new touch also. I don't know if this is part of Gathering Storm or just a general update. I could have sworn I won a science victory playing Gathering storm before this but maybe I didn't...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I believe it's part of the Gathering Storm update. I believe before it was just a race to Mars.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It starts at 75, and if you don't do anything to enhance it, it goes down by 1 per turn. If you have aluminum stocks, build the orbital things that makes it go one faster. Now there is a reason to have a bunch of space ports, each can build the orbital thingies and you can cut transit time in pretty short order. The ground-based thingies do the same, but they require power, and if you've decommed your power plants and, since these are usually well-developed cities, space for windmills or solar farms might be hard to come by.

Now, I still don't have a good grasp on how exactly cultural victories are achieved. In my last game I produced prodigious amounts of culture and tons of tourism. At one point, it stated I was 8 turns from victory. Then the victory counter vanished. When it came back, it was over 100 turns. It was like my government elected Trump.
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Jeff V wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 pm Now, I still don't have a good grasp on how exactly cultural victories are achieved. In my last game I produced prodigious amounts of culture and tons of tourism. At one point, it stated I was 8 turns from victory. Then the victory counter vanished. When it came back, it was over 100 turns. It was like my government elected Trump.
Culture victories are not the easiest to figure out. A couple of reasons for your bouncing around on 'turns to victory'. Tourism is highly sensitive to government types. If you are a different government than your second place culture opponent, then you'll lose a massive amount of tourism. Have open borders with everyone. A closed border will cause a decrease. Rock bands can help out also.

I'm still working on a domination victory with Gran Colombia. At turn 250 on my third game attempt and have two more civs to beat. Learning how to best use the llaneros unit has been fun. Once you learn them, they dominate in combat. Pretty confident that I'll win this one.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

One time I achieved a cultural victory. It was not my initial plan but halfway through the game I realized I was behind the other civs except in culture where I was leading. So I started pouring resources into all cultural items, opened my borders, I was able to build a national park which is rare in these games. Played nice with everyone and my tourism shot up to a point that I won.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Most of my wins have been scientific. I don't think I've ever had a diplomatic. Nor have I gone all the way to points.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Never gone to points. I got a diplomatic once I think, it's hard because when you get close, everyone votes for the -3 diplo points. Best you can hope for is to cruise in second, right behind the person who gets voted down, then win a special event to put yourself over the top. I don't think it's possible to have enough diplomatic points to override a mass push against you.

I won a religious victory a couple of times, but I don't really enjoy the grind of cranking out zealots and wearing down all of the cities so they accept your brand of crazy. I also won cultural a few times, and only twice I think did I go for a conquest win, but only on smaller maps. The vast majority of wins are science, mostly because it's inevitable with my playing style.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I usually go for scientific also. I dislike the religious win so I turn that victory off. I've tried conquest a few times but I find it very difficult in these later versions of civ.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter
dfs

Post by dfs »

Most of my wins are culture. You make friends and culture goes up fast. Did science and diplo. I play at a high enough level on a small packed world so I rarely get a religion and have never won that way. Going to do the conquer thing...soon.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Won my domination game with Gran Colombia. Small map on emperor difficulty. Took me three games to win. Early to mid-game definitely is the strong eras for this new civ. Once modern era hits, you lose your edge. So if going for domination, take out as many cities as possible before you hit the modern era. Had a lot of fun with the new units.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I find the modern era to be good for domination as you have bombers. Bombers and artillery are what gets those walls down.

Just downloaded the middle earth mods. I loved those in Civ 5.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

I like stacking the deck to my favor in Civ VI games and have found my new favorite way to do so, though it's op enough that I may actually have to bump up the difficulty level. So if you enjoy lopsided games, try this out. Play as the Maori (requires Gathering Storm) on a Terra map. Terra makes two land areas then sticks all the major civs on one of them, leaving the other as a New World to discover. Since it has to pack them in so tight, the majority of the City States get spawned into the New World area. As the Maori, you start at sea. Go discover the New World and you have a private continent loaded with City States to play with for a couple thousand years before anyone else even shows up on the horizon. Save scum your turn one in case you accidentally discover the Old World first.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I saw that in a video not too long again and yes, it works great.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lassr wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:51 pm I usually go for scientific also. I dislike the religious win so I turn that victory off. I've tried conquest a few times but I find it very difficult in these later versions of civ.
I probably ought to turn off religious because that's the easiest for me, and so where I usually go.

My first upgraded game is not much different from my old games so far, probably because I haven't changed my strategy. On the plus side, the first game that I've played in a year is drawing me in.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:55 am
Lassr wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:51 pm I usually go for scientific also. I dislike the religious win so I turn that victory off. I've tried conquest a few times but I find it very difficult in these later versions of civ.
I probably ought to turn off religious because that's the easiest for me, and so where I usually go.
I wish they would alter the AI when you turn off a victory condition. I find it hilarious that all the monks, apostles, etc are roaming my country side converting my people, and I'm thinking, "whatever" as I pour resources into campuses and military. There is one Civilization (maybe it's a policy but I don't think so) that allows the purchase of military units with faith at some point. That's when I start building temples everywhere.

Black Lives Matter
dfs

Post by dfs »

Got a diplo win last night by surprise. You need 20 points to win. I was at 19 and the council met. I was downvoted 2 points, but the interface showed I was still at 19. It was years till the next council and I was still 20+ turns away from a culture or science win so I settled down into the end game slog.

Then two turns later either seasteads or global warming mitigation put me over the top. Very unsatisfying. Gonna finally crank the difficulty all the way up. It looks like if you can survive to turn 100, the AI just isn't going to win unless it's a religious victory (at the higher difficulty levels on a small map, you are NOT going to get a religion.)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unless I play a civ that designed to be religious, I tend not to pursue any and as such rarely even get one. At the start, you have a choice of a civic that gives religion and gold, and another that gives production. I always take production.
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

The July update from the Frontier Pass came out this week. Ethiopia is the new Civ and is very strong with culture and religion. Also a couple of alt leaders added in. Secret societies is the new game mode. Super cool so far. This mode is much more impactful to the game than the other mode. It's immensely better. I can see myself playing this mode all the time. It's not a one-time run through. Another cool feature that I didn't know, you can have both modes turned on in the same game. Could make for some crazy games especially when all the modes are implemented from the pass.

They added a June patch that modified some religion benefits that seem really good.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've only played a couple of hours with the new add on and secret societies have done nothing so far. I gather I'll get a promotion for it when I get to the medieval era.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I discovered my first secret society in a goody hut I think, really early in the game. I thought it would help more than it did, but I decided to play Ethiopia on an Earth map, and got hammered with two volcanoes firing constantly throughout the game. I was annoyed that the Maori took S. Africa, but then I colonized a completely open Australia, New Zealand and Malaysia. PNG remained unsettled at the end of the game, which the Maori won with a Diplomatic Victory the turn my exoplanet expedition launched.

The secret society allowed me to recruit my first governor (always the educator) and even level him a few times before I would have otherwise been able to draft a governor.
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Does the AI seem tougher? I've played three games since the new update came out. It very well could be me, but I've yet to get a victory on Emperor. I see in the patch notes the AI was tweaked, but there are no details. If I can't win in the next couple of games, then I'm going to throttle the difficulty down, which I never do.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

OK, finding your first city-state gives you the first secret society. The others were discovered in short order, but since I already committed to the first, the others turned into governor promotions. Since I only still had one city, Pingala got promoted to mid-game levels.

Playing a fractal map now and I'm pretty hemmed in. Volcanoes are firing around me, but so far I'm not heavily settled in the blast radius.

Too soon to tell about the AI, but I did lose that game. Canada had to be taken down from the brink of Diplomatic Victory, and the Maori snuck in and got it instead.
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I figured out one thing. If your close neighbors are a different secret society than you, then they tend to attack you pretty quickly.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Took me three tries to get a good Ethiopian game going, but then I steamrolled my infinite faith into a (always strange) religion victory. I've got to play some more standard civs to get a better feeling for the secret societies. From watching the Firaxis videos, some societies look more impactfull than others. I do not care for the design decision to keep future society "governor" promotions hidden (you know, for replayability). I'd much rather have all the info at hand when deciding which society I want to join.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So far I've been unimpressed with secret societies except when the AI gets those damn vampires.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:35 pm So far I've been unimpressed with secret societies except when the AI gets those damn vampires.
I've had the minerva one twice now. It's nice to get extra civic slots.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

<Double post>
Last edited by Lassr on Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Just won my first diplomatic victory as the mayans it was neck in neck with the Incas, both had 18 points and I used all my diplomatic favor in voting and picked up the last 2 points for the win. I was so close again to a scientific victory and thought it was going to slip away with another AI diplomatic win.
Last edited by Lassr on Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

There can be only one Mesoamerican victor!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Civ 6 downloaded it's new content. It wouldn't launch so they downloaded a fix. Now Civ 6 works but doesn't show the new content.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:18 pm Civ 6 downloaded it's new content. It wouldn't launch so they downloaded a fix. Now Civ 6 works but doesn't show the new content.
This happened to me this afternoon. I rebooted my PC and it worked. The 2 new civs are now showing up.

I'm going to play Gaul with no modes turned on for my first game.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Same here now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I had no problems, but I didn't try playing until rather late this evening. Started a game with the Gaul but quickly got overwhelmed with Barbarians. I'll try again sometime soon.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've been playing for a couple of hours without any problems.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I updated and had no issues continuing the game I was playing.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

They had two patches out to fix things by 1:30 EDT, if you tried before that (like I did) it was borked.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In my current game most of the Gaul cites and all of the Indian cites became independent and I'm not anywhere near them. I'm play as the new Byzantium and I suppose it has something to do with me but I don't know what.
I am of course over there capturing them right now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've been thinking it over and I think it must have to do with the powerful Dark Age. You lose loyalty during that time. Add to my new Byzantium civ where I was taking down neighbors anyways and it all snowballed. I never got any of the new Dark Ages but it looks like a game buster for the AI.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Yeah, it is the new dramatic mode, where everything is either a dark age or a golden age, and cities break away when you go into a dark age.

Difficulty level impacts how hard this hits you, and how hard it hits AI civs.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I had it on deity.
I gave up on that game. Too many of my cities and independent and too little opponents.
I started a new game with the Highland map. I like it, pretty cool. No oceans so you better pick your opponent civs and stay away from the sea powers. Peru and the Maya look to be good ones for this tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949