UBOOT game - Kickstarter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: UBOOT game - Kickstarter

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:38 pm Its $20 again for Black Friday.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/494840/UBOAT/
I've not played it in months but I follow the news feed and there have been regular updates. Still, I'm waiting for release so I don't burn out too early, like I did on Subnautica.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I could have swore I bought this game about two months ago, but never installed it, busy on everything else.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Big update released yesterday.
-mf
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another big update coming on the road to release...

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

This one fell off my hydrophone. Looks like they've still got some work to do on it before it's ready for prime time, though.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is $8.99 at GOG
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

As well as Steam
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Full Release Dev Log #2: New Playable U-boat Types, FSR 2.0
Dear skippers,

We are back with another dev log. Without further ado, let's dive right in!

More U-boat Types
We are proud to announce that the final release update will bring one of the most anticipated features to UBOAT - taking command of other U-boat types, in addition to Type VIIC. At the release day, we plan to include the following U-boats in the game:

Type IIA
Type IID
Type VIIB
Type VIIC
Type VIIC/41

If you start the game in 1939, you will get a satisfying opportunity to progress through all these U-boats in a single playthrough, unlocking them one by one. Each next type is usually slightly larger and brings various improvements over a predecessor.
We are happy to announce that AMD FSR 2 is also going to be an option in addition to NVIDIA DLSS, as you requested in the comments section to our previous dev log. For various reasons, it took more work to integrate it. We develop our own render pipeline for the game, while AMD FSR 2 is not natively built into Unity and we had to work this out by ourselves. It was well worth it though, in our testing it works very well in the case of UBOAT, on par with NVIDIA DLSS.
Steam achievements
Next update will also bring Steam achievements to UBOAT. Your efforts, most impressive accomplishments will be rewarded in a pleasant way. Some of these achievements are going to be a great challenge to obtain, achievable only for the best skippers out there.

Polishing
There are also various minor improvements in the pipeline, and sometimes it's the minor things that matter the most. Many of these things are done upon direct requests posted on the game forum.
  • Helmsman now works in the control room for most of the time, rather than in the conning tower.
  • We overhauled the bow waves effect for the player's U-boat to make it more realistic.
  • There is now a dedicated silent running mode, separately from blue lighting. When it's toggled, officers won't maintain torpedoes and all devices that make noise will be automatically disabled by your crew.
  • Sailors no longer clean the boat during alarms or silent runs.
  • It's now possible to destroy propellers and rudders of enemy ships.
But wait, there is more!
We have much more to share and will soon. For example, there are simulation upgrades, mission changes, world enhancements and more, which we will share with you in the upcoming dev logs soon as these features get into their final shape.

We still don't know how much time it will take us to complete this update. For example, we are still finishing models for the interiors of new u-boats. We also gather feedback on the forum, so if you have something you always wanted added or changed, feel free to post. It's important to us, to make you satisfied with the upcoming release.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Full Release Dev Log #3: Torpedo Data Computer, Echosounder, Diesel engines
We are back with another dev log. This time, we will dive into several upgrades that are meant to expand selected simulation aspects of the game.

Our goal with these changes is to accommodate more playstyles, but without forcing them in any way. If such technical things are not your piece of cake, don't worry as everything discussed here is going to be fully optional as it was always the case in UBOAT.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:23 pm I've not played it in months but I follow the news feed and there have been regular updates. Still, I'm waiting for release so I don't burn out too early, like I did on Subnautica.
Do you think it's in a good state to play now?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:28 am
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:23 pm I've not played it in months but I follow the news feed and there have been regular updates. Still, I'm waiting for release so I don't burn out too early, like I did on Subnautica.
Do you think it's in a good state to play now?
I haven't played it in awhile so I can't really answer that question. YMMV.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Full Release Dev Log #5: Contacts rework, Torpedo attack systems
We hope that you had pleasant holidays and a good start to 2024. In this diary we will dive back again into various simulation aspects on which we were working on for the Full Release update.

Our goal with these changes is to accommodate more playstyles, but without forcing them in any way. If such technical things are not your cup of tea, don't worry as everything discussed here is going to be fully optional as it was always the case in UBOAT.
And...
Currently, everything remains on track, and our estimated completion date for this work is still March - April 2024. If there are no unforeseen surprises, we should have a specific date to report relatively soon. The main thing that extends the development time, are interior models for the new playable U-boats, that will be introduced in the Full Release Update.
A couple more things, the game is actually called UBOAT, just in case you were wondering :roll:. And it is currently on sale on Steam for 65% off. The promotion ends on February 3rd.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And sold again. :D
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Have
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Have again
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I realized that this game has big boots (hah!) to fill, after all the time I put in on Silent Hunter III using the Grey Wolves mod. My original AAR was posted over on Gaming Trend and is apparently no longer available, but some time after that series of posts I started a thread on OO called Silent Hunter III - Return From The Deep!. It was posted almost exactly nine years ago. If I have as much fun with UBOAT as I did with SH3, I'll be happy.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I've been playing this game (316 hours now), off and on, since it was first available. It's had its development stagnation - and a few camera issues and underwater stuff - but most of that has been addressed. The game itself, IMO, is quite good - and if you can allow yourself to get into it all, it's got a lot going for it. I'll be curious to read what you make of it in its current state.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I bought it, but I'm not in the mood to really play anything that is a thinker right now. I really love me some sub sims and I like that I can automate a lot of the parts I don't feel like learning/dealing with. Probably will start playing once the new job settles in. I find sub games to be super immersive so should be fun.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm going to wait until the full release at this point to take it back out and really dive in.

Currently, everything remains on track, and our estimated completion date for this work is still March - April 2024.

Also, I will point Uboat originally began as a KickStarter project by two Polish friends under the name Deep Water Studios. Unfortunately, they never met their Kickstarter goal. PlayWay came by with an offer to fund their project, they took it. So it isn't a true PlayWay production, in the way CarMechanic, etc, etc, are - they just kept it from sinking..
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:44 pm they just kept it from sinking..
I see what you did there :wink:

I might wait myself till full release, or perhaps to when they say they are done adding content and just doing final preps.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:23 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:44 pm they just kept it from sinking..
I see what you did there :wink:

It was a minefield, actually... :D
Unagi wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:44 pm ... to take it back out and really dive in.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I saw both. Well, all three. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm going to have to get a capable computer if I keep reading this stuff.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I haven't really investigated this one, but how does it compare to the best of the Silent Hunter series?

The latter (especially with appropriate mods) was the pinnacle of realistic WW2 sub simulation. Does UBOOT feel more like a simulation or a game?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Its only appeal to me was as a simulation / SH replacement.

It’s certainly trying to be a love letter to the SH series.

While you may not be the type to want to sample it before they say it’s v1.0, I can tell you it’s entirely playable now, and I think you will enjoy when you do check it out.