Quantum Break

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

gbasden

Quantum Break

Post by gbasden »

I'm surprised that there isn't a thread on this yet. Quantum Break released today, and so far the reviews have led me to believe it's right up my alley. The time powers turn the Max Payne style gameplay up a notch, and it seems to be welded to a very interesting story. I think I'm going to bite on it. Apparently you can get a free game code for Windows 10 if you buy the Xbox version as well.
Jaymann

Re: Quantum Break

Post by Jaymann »

I saw an ad for that. Until the credits I thought it was a new Max Payne.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I don't have an Xbox One and I don't see where I could buy a PC version (on my phone and being laxy)

Guessing the Windows Store
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

Well, it's only for Windows Spy Edition and appears to be a bad port, as usual, so... buyer beware.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've been playing it all day and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. The story is pretty awesome - to the point that my wife has been watching and has told me I am not to play it without her around.

It is in the Windows store, and being a DX12 game it does require Win10. If this conflicts with the demands of your tinfoil hat, then give it a pass.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

How is the performance? Saw that mentioned as an issue with the port.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've not had performance challenges at all with the game itself. That said, I've got a pretty beefy system. The live action portions are streamed, from what I've read, and I'm guessing that the servers are getting pretty stressed on launch day. It's been perfectly watchable, but there have definitely been stutters.

From a gameplay perspective everything is mapped fairly normally. The various powers are mapped to mouse 3, ctrl, shift, etc. I believe everything is remappable. My biggest issue is that the character is supposed to snap to cover automatically, and it occasionally has issues if approached obliquely. That, and I've been playing a lot of Division. There, the space bar snaps you into cover. In Quantum Break, the space bar jumps/climbs. I'm sure you can see how I've managed to kill myself a few times.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jaymann wrote:I saw an ad for that. Until the credits I thought it was a new Max Payne.
Well, it's made by Remedy, so the similarities are baked into its genetics.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Alan Wake was one of my favorite games of the last few years and I would love to play this, unfortunately, Microsoft is doing everything in their power to ensure that that I never do. Bad PC port, requires Windows 10, only available through the Windows Store and all around bad PC performance.

*sigh*
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I just ran through another play through of this and it is criminally underrated. I really love the gunplay and time powers, the live action parts are really well done, and the story is just phenomenal and internally consistent. Highly recommend!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I enjoyed the live action parts after the first one. When I realized that they mixed a bunch of episodes from a 30min TV show into my game. They are crazy long. But the overall story was fantastic.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

gbasden wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:37 am I just ran through another play through of this and it is criminally underrated. I really love the gunplay and time powers, the live action parts are really well done, and the story is just phenomenal and internally consistent. Highly recommend!
Definitely agree on the game. I thought some of the live action TV content was a bit off, but the game was fantastic!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
raydude

Post by raydude »

Started playing this one after I got it on a Steam sale. First time I met Beth Wilder I was like - why does she sound like Jesse Faden from Control? Turns out it's the same voice actress.
raydude

Post by raydude »

raydude wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 am Started playing this one after I got it on a Steam sale. First time I met Beth Wilder I was like - why does she sound like Jesse Faden from Control? Turns out it's the same voice actress.
It's pretty cool playing this after playing Control and seeing references to Control and Alan Wake. This reminds me, I need to play that after I'm done with Quantum Break.