American Truck Simulator

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: American Truck Simulator

Post by Isgrimnur »

SUB-Canadian. Idaho, Montana, Dakotas, ...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I fired up European Truck Simulator 2 for a change of pace and I was reminded why I prefer ATS. In ETS2 the guard rails are so tight on roads and ramps everywhere. I don't drive that well :roll:. I need a bit of extra space when I drive. So this evening I'm exploring Oregon. I really hope they release Idaho soon, I hate having to detour through Nevada to reach Salt Lake City :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh yeah, I forgot how tight those were. I'd always get nervous when getting near them. Not to mention there are these very narrow 1-lane parts of the highways near interchanges that I've gotten hung up on if I wasn't perfectly straight. I don't know if that's the way they are in real-life, but they do seem narrower than they need to be.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I lived in Germany for 6 years, and my rule of thumb for the roads was, "if it looks like a one lane road, it's probably a two lane road, and if it looks like a bike path, it's a one lane road." Generally speaking, at least in the areas that I frequented, lanes were tighter on the autobahn than on the highways in the States.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This posted today by SCS (the devs):
Colorado is a project that we are currently developing at full capacity in parallel with Idaho DLC; of course, our Euro Truck Simulator 2 fans know that there are yet more projects in production! At the moment, our aim is to complete and release Colorado a few months after Idaho, tentatively towards the end of this year. Please note, however, that due to extraordinary circumstances we face during this time, this timeframe may change.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Update 1.37.

Finally, windows that open. And the ability to do a walk-around of your truck.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I like those new changes, but I'm waiting for Idaho is released before I get back into it.

Oddly, I'm tempted to write "Duncan" each time I get ready to write "Idaho" :D
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Probably one of the best and most extensive changes they've made since the move to DirectX 11. Every sound now has its own slider. You can now roll down the windows and hear the sound change, and tunnels sound appropriately full of reverb especially when you honk your horn in them. And you even get a sound change when going underneath an overpass. The world as a result feels more alive.

They've had to extensively remake their sounds where appropriate. This unfortunately means that they haven't gotten to most of the engines yet. I had the International when this update went live and the engine sounds like a sewing machine on its last legs, and I hear the Volvo sounds pretty bad. The trucks to go with at the moment are the Kenworths as apparently those were the only ones with redone sounds.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A new brand and truck! Introducing the Mack Anthem® for American Truck Simulator. Available April 28th at your local dealer (are we going to get Mack dealers? Hmm).

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Most likely yes. There were prefab dealers on the map before they became International dealers. It's just a matter of them choosing where they are.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have absolutely no idea why. This sounds like a horribly boring game. I don't even like trucks!

And at the same time, for some reason, it sounds really, really appealing. I like the idea of putting on a podcast or music in the background and just going for a drive through old familiar places. It sounds... peaceful.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:33 am I have absolutely no idea why. This sounds like a horribly boring game. I don't even like trucks!

And at the same time, for some reason, it sounds really, really appealing. I like the idea of putting on a podcast or music in the background and just going for a drive through old familiar places. It sounds... peaceful.
That's the main reason I got it, it's perfect for podcasts.
Ironically, it's a podcast that got me interested in playing this too.
Over the Road

I've also learned that I should never, under any circumstance, be allowed to drive one of these in real life.
I seem to have a tendency to fall asleep at the wheel and veer into oncoming traffic.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, I see the workshop is packed full of options. Are any a must-have for what I have in mind?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:59 pm So, I see the workshop is packed full of options. Are any a must-have for what I have in mind?
These are what I have, nothing too exiciting:

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's mostly based on preference, but seeing as there aren't that many trucks, I tend to like using truck mods. Currently using the Kenworth W900-A, which is the same model used in Smoky & The Bandit. It's got a real nice vintage interior.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A great fan made trailer for the new Idaho DLC.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I was tooling around in this the other day with my new VR headset. Wayyyy more fun even if there are some issues with the jaggies. (I've tried my best, but some stuff like power lines looks horrific. There's a really weird sensation when you stop at a light as your body is expecting to feel something and doesn't. Otherwise it's so much more immersive. Need to check out some of the mods as currently I'm just running the default game.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I used to own a wheel, but didn't use it enough to justify the space/cost. What are you guys using to drive if you are not using a wheel? Is the consensus that a controller is better or keyboard and mouse is better?
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I haven't played this or ETS since getting a controller, but I've never really had an issue using k/b to be honest. With mouse for the steering, of course.
I no longer post here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:49 pm I used to own a wheel, but didn't use it enough to justify the space/cost. What are you guys using to drive if you are not using a wheel? Is the consensus that a controller is better or keyboard and mouse is better?
I've always used a controller. I do now have a wheel/pedal setup but I tend to keep switching cameras while I drive to sight-see so a controller is actually more convenient.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:20 pm
baelthazar wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:49 pm I used to own a wheel, but didn't use it enough to justify the space/cost. What are you guys using to drive if you are not using a wheel? Is the consensus that a controller is better or keyboard and mouse is better?
I've always used a controller. I do now have a wheel/pedal setup but I tend to keep switching cameras while I drive to sight-see so a controller is actually more convenient.
Can I ask what brand/type of controller you use? I have an older Xbox Controller and it is fine, but wondered if there were better alternatives out there. I am also thinking about using the controller for MS Flight Simulator when it comes out, if I don't care for using my older joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro).
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:34 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:20 pm
Can I ask what brand/type of controller you use? I have an older Xbox Controller and it is fine, but wondered if there were better alternatives out there. I am also thinking about using the controller for MS Flight Simulator when it comes out, if I don't care for using my older joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro).
I'm using an old Microsoft X360 controller.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I only have a few hours of play under my belt, but I never got terribly comfortable with the keyboard and mouse mostly because I found it difficult to turn my head and get full vision for things at intersections. (Lane changes and the like were easy because of the mirrors, but checking for cross-traffic was never comfortable.)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I use both the keyboard and a XBONE controller. It depends on the situation.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I use a controller and keyboard, though I've thought about getting a head-tracker for looking around. I've noticed that some of the earlier trucks are completely fine, but some of the newer trucks such as the International and Mack have mirrors that are so far off to the left as to make not having either head trackers or dual monitors a clear disadvantage. I realize it's because of the way they're built in real-life and that they've been modeled via manufacturer specifications, but in general, a view through a monitor is different than one would be sitting at a truck anyway, as you don't get the physical sensation or sight lines one would normally get from being in the cab of a truck.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm waiting for a sale to pickup Colorado, Utah and New Mexico.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:33 pm I'm waiting for a sale to pickup Colorado, Utah and New Mexico.
Based on past history there should be deep discounts on those on the Steam Holiday sale, and a slight discount on Idaho.

I have ATS installed on my new rig but I've had to re-set up my control scheme. Ominously I've also had two crashes after the latest update, something I'm never had with ATS before.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Yeah I'm waiting for the Black Friday sale next week.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Promods Canada coming fairly soon. Right now they've got parts of BC created that they'll be releasing to the public.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Yukon and Northwest Territories next!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wyoming has been announced.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Promods Canada has been released. Download it from their website:
https://www.promods.net/index.php

You'll first have to create an account if you don't already have one, but it's a free download.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I missed posting about the Christmas and Exploring Wyoming events, but here is one just starting for those who want to participate: Hauling Hope Event
Virtual Truckers of the world, we are all still enduring hard times, as the world continues to battle COVID-19. The fight is not over, but we can see light at the end of the tunnel, we see hope in the creation of the COVID-19 Vaccines and their rapid worldwide roll-out. We would like to, once again, recognise the selfless drivers and support crews working so incredibly hard to achieve this goal. So, we are inviting you to take part in personally delivering these vaccines, across any and all trucking territories in the World of Trucks Hauling Hope[ event!

Last year, in March, we asked you all to respond in the way we thought best, which was to take part in the unprecedented #TruckAtHome event. The community effort was incredible, it was at a level of participation that we had never seen before. We celebrated with you all further, by delivering financial support and supplies directly to those on the front line, for each new milestone that the community reached.

This time, it will be your own personal journey. Our slogan is #HaulingHope, and the goal is for you to deliver this fragile and precious cargo undamaged, so you will need to be extra careful when making your delivery. The cargo will have a zero-damage tolerance and will require a Fragile Cargo skill, level 1, to be carried.

This event is a chance to take part in delivering something more than just a cargo, it's a chance to deliver hope to the world, if only virtually.

Where you go and how far you haul will be up to you. What is important is that you enjoy the event, spread the word so that others can share the hope, and stay safe and healthy.

#HaulingHope Event Rules:

Using External Contracts with a World of Trucks-connected profile in Euro Truck Simulator 2, American Truck Simulator or both, your Personal goal is to complete at least 7 undamaged deliveries of COVID-19 Vaccine cargo across any trucking territories. To be able to see and carry this cargo, you need to have a Fragile Cargo skill of at least level 1.

Reward:

Personal goal: Your contribution of 7 or more deliveries of COVID-19 Vaccine cargo will gain you:

A World of Trucks Achievement.
A prestigeous, Hope Trucker Insiginia, cabin item to hang in your truck.

The event will be concluded on Sunday 7th February 23:59 UTC.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I tend not to participate in the events, as it requires you to connect a profile to a World of Trucks account, and doing so makes it more cumbersome and reliant on the service being responsive. I just generally feel better not having an account tied to it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I was hoping for Montana, but instead we have Texas as the next expansion following Colorado:

Introducing Texas
With all the excitement surrounding the development and upcoming release of Iberia and Heart of Russia, we thought we'd share some news for our American drivers too! Today, we are happy to officially announce the development of an upcoming DLC which we originally showcased and teased during our most recent Christmas Special Stream. Please give a big howdy to...

As the second-largest U.S state both by area and population, the Lone Star State offers a wealth of unique attractions and landmarks for visitors and residents alike. From the cities to the coastal beaches, mountains, and desert, Texas is both geographically and culturally diverse.
Not sure if there will be a "buried in an ice storm" mod :wink:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hey I recognize that skyline!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I wish they would make a DLC pass. I have Oregon and New Mexico, but none of the others they've released, and I think it's be easier if it would give me access to everything as it's released. The more states they release, the more it's going to become a burden of waiting for the price to drop. But I'd gladly pay for a pass to access it all, and I feel it's one of the few games where a pass would actually make sense.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

How much are you thinking a pass would be? I imagine it'd be a hefty outlay.