So System Shock 3 is a thing

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

So System Shock 3 is a thing

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lordnine

Re: So System Shock 3 is a thing

Post by Lordnine »

I believe this company has multiple ex-Looking Glass employees, so this probably is the best studio for the job. I actually backed Underworld Ascendant on KS because of the chance of getting another LG style game. Looking Glass was probably my all-time favorite game studio.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For me it was Origin but LookingGlass was just a hair behind. They were a damn great company. Bad decisions and poor marketing got them I think. But their games were A+ spectacular.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I haven't played the 1st or 2nd. Maybe now's the time?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Rumpy wrote:I haven't played the 1st or 2nd. Maybe now's the time?
That first one had the most god-awful control scheme. And gave me motion sickness. Maybe there's some kind of re-mastered version or fan patch or something?

2nd one was a hoot though. YOUR SONG IS NOT OUR SONG.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

It was always a little buggy, but one of my favorite gaming memories of all time was playing all the way through SS2 coop with a buddy of mine. He played a Marine, took the best weapons and armor, and protected me, while I played a Navy Tech and focused on research, hacking, and a little psy.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

NickAragua wrote: That first one had the most god-awful control scheme. And gave me motion sickness. Maybe there's some kind of re-mastered version or fan patch or something?

I'm not sure if it fixes the control scheme, but they did recently release an enhanced version of the original, both available on Steam and GOG.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

SS and SS2 were a couple of my favorite games of all time. I hope they pull this off and it doesn't turn out like the sequel to Duke Nukem.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I think MooIII killed any blind optimism I had for sequels of favourite games, but luckily it didn't kill my hope.

This is just another game that might be cool but we won't know until we get closer to release and see the actual product. That doesn't mean I don't hope it's a fantastic sequel.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

I wasn't into video games when SS came out, having been on hiatus from the hobby at that time. When I returned, I had missed SSII's initial release. Unlike today, a game that was a year or two old at that time was usually outdated and often unplayable compared to new releases. I eventually played SSII long past it's prime anyway, and it was so good despite being clunky that I played through it again. SSII is a fantastic game despite it's ancient technology. A sequel has a lot to live up to.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Huge MOO fan and never touched MOO 3 :) Love System shock just as much though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

From the teaser site. Theres also a audio file of her but Im not sure thats new or old.

Enlarge Image
DD*

Post by DD* »

I've got to play SS2 at some point. I've started it several times but never got very far before <SQUIRREL!>
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Warren Spector
Warren Spector will join developer OtherSide Entertainment as its studio director to work on the upcoming System Shock 3, the developer announced today.

Spector, who’s worked at studios such as Looking Glass and Disney on games like Epic Mickey, Deus Ex and the original System Shock, will aid in development of Underworld Ascendant, as well as the upcoming iteration of the long-dormant System Shock series.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holy balls! NOW its a real and AAA thing. Hope they have the resources and cash to do it right....and time.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

When is Freespace 3 coming out?
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now wouldn't that be a dream come true. last time i asked Volition they said someone else held the rights and it probably wont happen but they would love to do it.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Boyaah, Warren Spector is joining the System Shock 3 team and taking the lead:

http://www.pcgamer.com/warren-spector-j ... m-shock-3/

Very interesting. Then again he did give us DE Invisible Wars but maybe he's learned from that :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I thought he didn't really design IW like he had with the original, but rather just had his name on it like they do with Sid Meier these days. I thought most of the design ideas were done by someone else with him signing off on them. Though I do remember the controversy surrounding the UI being linked to him.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Interview with Spector, gives some ideas about where they are going:

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories ... bull-games
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow looking at those dates. 94 SS then not until 99 for SS2. I actually thought that was a LONG time. Now SS3 is just starting and may be out by 2020....a 5 year diff on the first two then another 21 years until pt 3 hits. Wow. Warren was 39 in 94 and now is 62 this year.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, not to mention that technology has changed so much since then. Graphically, it's going to be a whole new ball game. It will be interesting to see how they update the look with new stuff at their disposal. The remake of System Shock seems to be trying to stick as close as possible to the original while taking advantage of modern technology, but I wonder how far they're going to take this sequel. So much potential.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rumpy wrote:Yeah, not to mention that technology has changed so much since then. Graphically, it's going to be a whole new ball game. It will be interesting to see how they update the look with new stuff at their disposal. The remake of System Shock seems to be trying to stick as close as possible to the original while taking advantage of modern technology, but I wonder how far they're going to take this sequel. So much potential.
Well, as a sequel, it doesn't have its hands tied as the remake is, which has to be pretty faithful in many ways to the original. They can be as different from SS2 as it was from SS1.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Daehawk wrote:Wow looking at those dates. 94 SS then not until 99 for SS2. I actually thought that was a LONG time. Now SS3 is just starting and may be out by 2020....a 5 year diff on the first two then another 21 years until pt 3 hits. Wow. Warren was 39 in 94 and now is 62 this year.
Sic transit gloria mundi...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Didn't SS2 use the dark engine? I recall it using one another game used I think and had a pretty unique look. Ill have to look that up.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Daehawk wrote:Didn't SS2 use the dark engine? I recall it using one another game used I think and had a pretty unique look. Ill have to look that up.
Yes it did. It came out between Thief and Thief 2.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pre alpha trailer in Unity Engine.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That looks pretty good (although Shodan's voice seems off.) I hope they don't make it too gritty looking. One of the things that always appealed to me about SS1 and SS2 was that the environments weren't naturally dirty/gritty. They looked like pristine environments where something had gone horribly wrong. Blood smeared across a Star Trek corridor is much more impactful than blood smeared across a Warhammer 40k corridor. It didn't feel like a horror film set where you expected terror, it felt like a nice place where something was terrifying. That contrast was key. It was a core bit of the atmosphere that isn't immediately obvious.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I agree her voice is off.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am excited, but also wary of developer Other Side. Underworld Ascendant is a bit of a mess (although there is fun to be had). They have dumped some patches which changed things a lot, but it's still riddled with bugs and general annoyances. I enjoyed it initially but there were so many bugs and the mechanic of going back over the same ground (with everything reset) over and over again got old fast. I am waiting until they are finished with all the patches before giving it another shot.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

That looks awesome!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That was very atmospheric!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Getting a System Shock game right is going to be tough. The Bioshock series tried, but never came close. The main reason was that System Shock was never about the story, or about exploring a philosophy, or about powers, or about being a badass, or about horror, or about Shodan. It wasn't about moral choices. The one thing that made System Shock 1 & 2 so great was that they were games about a place. The place was the main character in those games - Citadel Station, the Rickenbacker, and the Von Braun were System Shock. it was the hospital, the gymnasium, hydroponics. They felt like real places, like places that should have been peaceful and inspiring, and were not. Without that, it would have just been another forgettable shooter.

Only one game has come close, and most System Shock fans avoided it because the baggage the name carried: Prey. If you are a System Shock fan and haven't played Prey, get to it.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:42 am I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Getting a System Shock game right is going to be tough. The Bioshock series tried, but never came close. The main reason was that System Shock was never about the story, or about exploring a philosophy, or about powers, or about being a badass, or about horror, or about Shodan. It wasn't about moral choices. The one thing that made System Shock 1 & 2 so great was that they were games about a place. The place was the main character in those games - Citadel Station, the Rickenbacker, and the Von Braun were System Shock. it was the hospital, the gymnasium, hydroponics. They felt like real places, like places that should have been peaceful and inspiring, and were not. Without that, it would have just been another forgettable shooter.

Only one game has come close, and most System Shock fans avoided it because the baggage the name carried: Prey. If you are a System Shock fan and haven't played Prey, get to it.
Prey is so very good. Control also has that feel for me currently - the oldest house definitely is an important character in the story.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I agree about the locations working as characters. Prey really surprised me with just how good it was. In a lot of ways it felt like a spiritual successor to System Shock just as Dishonored was a spiritual successor to Thief. Maybe not so surprising since I seem to recall a lot of Looking Glass employees being the founders of Arkane Studios.

It’s interesting though as one of the main reasons they work so well is because you actually do a lot of backtracking, which is often considered a bad practice in modern game development.

I'm looking forward to giving Control a shot since Alan Wake is one of my favorite games but I have avoided the Epic Store so far so I may need to wait a year for its Steam release.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks Blues...

System Shock 3 Layoffs Lead to Fears for the Project
Forwarding to last Friday, the same former employee revealed that while the core systems of System Shock 3 were done, OtherSide Austin was "critically behind" in content development, following by saying that "everyone on the content side is no longer with the studio."
JCC

Post by JCC »

Ugh, the legacy of OtherSide will be a bitter one to fans of the Underworld and System Shock series. I am only a mild fan of both. I am more of a fan of games they inspired.

I hope the SS1 remake ends up being good.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Uh oh. Danger! DANGER!

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/211111/tenc ... -3-website

Tencent Now Owns System Shock 3 Website
System Shock 3 may have found a savior in Chinese giant Tencent following reports of layoffs at developer OtherSide Entertainment amid financial difficulties. VGC reports both the SystemShock3.com and SystemShock4 domains were transferred to Tencent Holdings last week, suggesting a deal between Tencent and OtherSide to help get the new installment in the action/RPG series back on track.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As long as they don't turn it into a battle royale I'm fine with that.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:11 pm As long as they don't turn it into a battle royale I'm fine with that.
Probably not but it will be an Epic exclusive :)