Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate

Post by jztemple2 »

I couldn't find a thread for this, so I'm starting one. I was one of the rare folks who didn't have any real issues with Unity, so I'm looking forward to Syndicate. And I just got an email from GMG offering 35% off during the next week for a ACS pre-order. Like recent previous AC offers through GMG, it's for a Uplay key rather than a Steam key (which loads the game through Uplay anyway). However, Uplay and I have been doing well together for quite a while so I don't foresee an issue.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Re: Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate

Post by coopasonic »

Terrible, but kinda funny gamer and youtuber sl1pg8r (I watched a lot of his ARK videos, he is one of the few I can watch with my 9 year old due to language) has posted a videos of the first mission and a half and as much as I want to hold off it is calling to me. I'll admit it's hard watching him play. It looks like he has never played an AC game before, so maybe they aren't the best videos to watch. After so many AC games, what can they do to really get me excited again? I think I may be able to wait for a sale on this one, especially with everything else that is coming out this holiday season. So many games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Since the PC version is going to be a month behind the console release, there will be lots of times to check out the reviews. I've personally been avoiding the previews because I don't want the experience spoiled, so I'll only be skimming the reviews for real show stoppers. Frankly after all the bad reviews on Mad Max, which I enjoyed a lot, I'm a bit suspicious of all reviews. I'm also suspicious of reviews of games by certain developers that everyone hates (Ubisoft) or developers that everyone loves (Bethesda). While I guess means I don't trust anyone except the folks here in the forums.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ubisoft has posted the specs for ACS
Minimum

Supported OS
Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10(64bit versions)

Processor
Intel Core i5 2400s @ 2.5 GHz or AMD FX 6350 @ 3.9 GHz

RAM
6GB or more for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon R9 270 (2GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0)

DirectX
DirectX June 2010 Redistributable

Sound
DirectX compatible sound card with latest drivers

Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Recommended

Supported OS
Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64bit versions only)

Processor
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz

RAM
8GB

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (4GB) or the newer GTX 970 (4GB) or AMD Radeon R9 280X (3GB) or better

DirectX
DirectX June 2010 Redistributable

Sound
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers

Hard Drive
50 GB available space

Technical note from the developer: For a recommended experience, the game requires a video card with at least 3GB of VRAM when playing at a full HD resolution. While we encourage you to fiddle with the advanced options to fully customize your gaming experience, please keep an eye out for the VRAM meter usage when you adjust these settings.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So Green Man Gaming just sent me an email and among the offers is 33% off the PC version of ACS, due out this Thursday. I was going to hold off till I saw some PC reviews, but saving $20 USD for a game I'm probably going to get anyway sounds decent. Anyone have some inkling on how the PC version appears to be shaping up? I've looked at the console reviews and so far I'm not scared away due to the gameplay aspect.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its not getting great reviews I dont think but to me ...I dont have it...it looks like one of the better ones. I saw a rankings somewhere and agreed for the most part..Black Flag the best and the first one is good but 2 wasn't that great and Unity sucks along with 3. Not sure whats wrong with this one but Im interested in it. Still playing Black Flag though.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

Got this for free when I bought my video card to play Fallout 4. I doubt I'll install it anytime soon, but I will give it its due. I also loved Black Flag.
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Daehawk wrote:Its not getting great reviews I dont think but to me ...I dont have it...it looks like one of the better ones. I saw a rankings somewhere and agreed for the most part..Black Flag the best and the first one is good but 2 wasn't that great and Unity sucks along with 3. Not sure whats wrong with this one but Im interested in it. Still playing Black Flag though.
I thought 2 (all the Ezio ones really) were better received than the first one just mainly because there was more variety of things to do than in the first one
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Article from Rock, Paper, Shotgun: How Is Assassin’s Creed Syndicate’s PC Port?
Review code for the PC version of Assassin’s Creed Syndicate [official site] activated this evening and I’ve spent the hours since playing through the opening sections and fiddling with various settings to see how it all holds together. In short, it runs beautifully and looks a treat. Details and early thoughts about my trip to the Big Smoke are below.
and...
No glitches yet, though. Again, this is all early days but the port certainly isn’t an omnishambles. And, so far, the game is extremely promising to boot. It’s not a revolution by any means and if you’ve played an Assassin’s Creed game before, I’m not sure it’s going to surprise. It’s probably fair to say it’s unlikely to convert anyone who has played one of the series before and hasn’t found anything to like, but if this is as lean and efficient a take on the formula as these first hours suggest, it might be a winner for the rest of us.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I broke down and got it, and it was even a bit cheaper on GMG today, 36% off instead of 33%.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Took a break from Fallout 4 and fired up ACS. I played the first two missions, which take place outside of London as an introduction to the characters. Very, very impressive atmosphere. Fantastic recreation of 1868 Victorian Britain (as far as I know) and amazing attention to details of posters, clothes, trains, all sorts of stuff. The gameplay is Assassin's Creed, which is to say a lot of jumping, running, sneaking up on folks and stabbing them. You know, the usual :D

It's still early in the story but the two main characters, Jacob and Evie, are so much more likable and enjoyable than the lump that starred in AC Unity. I also never got a handle on the Unity story but so far I'm alright with Syndicate's plot. And of course I'm useless at remembering names (to the endless embarrassment of my wife when we go to parties) but at least these are English which makes it easier to remember. And I've been reading the background of everything in the Database, although they have continue to use that snarky tone that was present in Unity.

The game runs great on my rig: Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 780 3GB, Win7 64bit. I'm running at 1920x1200 with graphics at High, although my GeForce Experience says I can crank it up more than that. However, it looks fabulous right now and while I don't have a frame rate counter running, it's buttery smooth with no slowdowns in explosions or rapid changes of the field of view.

I'll post occasionally and say how it's going without giving away any plot elements. I've just now reached London so that's something I'm going to check out.

One final item. I spend a lot of time at the beach, which means I'm able to observe the derrieres of a number of fine ladies. Unlike what you often see at the movies and on TV, very rarely do you see the said derrieres sway like, for instance, what you see if you watch the famous scene of Marilyn Monroe walking the train platform in "Some Like It Hot" or when you see Elsa walking towards the french windows of her ice palace. The female protagonist, Evie, has a definite sway, although it's more like Elsa than Marilyn.I am told by my wife that this is partially due to the height of the heels they are wearing, but I feel there is also some artistic license being taken.

Just thought I'd mention it.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Picked this up for free with the Samsung 500GB SSD I just got for $147.

Looks interesting and when combined with Thief should keep my boredom level down long enough to make it from Thanksgiving steam sale to Christmas steam sale without making a desperation purchase.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Rip wrote:Picked this up for free with the Samsung 500GB SSD I just got for $147.

Looks interesting and when combined with Thief should keep my boredom level down long enough to make it from Thanksgiving steam sale to Christmas steam sale without making a desperation purchase.
Just got it via the same deal. I got the last AC as an bonus when I bought my video card last Christmas and enjoyed it (the Parisian environment was fantastic). I hope this one is as engaging for me.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wish i could afford that deal. I want both of those items .
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Also grabbed that deal.

I've never played any of the AC games previously. I have a gifted copy of AC3(?) that I haven't installed.

I should put this next on my list to play. Otherwise it'll be on Steam for $5 by the time I play it. And won't feel like much of a deal. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I picked it up today for the PS4 - Best Buy was selling it for $35, and the GCU 20% discount brought it down to a hair under $30 after tax.

I bought Unity for $15 and put maybe a couple of hours into it. This was, of course, well after it had been patched to hell and back, so I didn't have any major issues with it either. However, I don't see myself bothering with it since Syndicate is getting such excellent reviews. Plus I really love the setting - I'm a sucker for anything set in Victorian England.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

jztemple2 wrote:One final item. I spend a lot of time at the beach, which means I'm able to observe the derrieres of a number of fine ladies. Unlike what you often see at the movies and on TV, very rarely do you see the said derrieres sway like, for instance, what you see if you watch the famous scene of Marilyn Monroe walking the train platform in "Some Like It Hot" or when you see Elsa walking towards the french windows of her ice palace. The female protagonist, Evie, has a definite sway, although it's more like Elsa than Marilyn.I am told by my wife that this is partially due to the height of the heels they are wearing, but I feel there is also some artistic license being taken.

Just thought I'd mention it.
This may be the most in-depth female-character derriere analysis that I have ever read. The more recent incarnations of Samus also had a sway (but not as much as Bayonetta, who wears high heels that are also guns). The worst may be Kerrigan, her sway is ridiculous and her "spiked feet high heels" is even more silly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

But in RL when you see a sway its fantastic to watch it. 90% of the time the girl will be pigeon toed.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

After putting in 131 hours on Fallout 4 and then 12 on Just Cause 3, I'm ready to return to ACS. When it came out I did play the first two "missions", the introductions to Jacob and Evie. I was a bit put off by the gameplay as it was a bit to much on rails for me. But now that I've started the actual full game I'm much happier in that I can see it's the usual AC gameplay, although even after a couple of hours it seems so much more accessible than AC Unity. One reason is that the names are English, not French, which gave me some trouble. And since 19th Century London is a favorite of mine, I know I'm going to enjoy the references.

Has anyone taken also gotten the Season Pass?

UPDATE: I just checked Green Man Gaming and ACS is on sale for $33.99 from a regular of $59.99. Nice sale!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

For someone that's never played any of the AC games, would this be a good place to start?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Rip

Post by Rip »

It seems fine to me. I got it for free so have played a little and enjoyed it. My son on the other hand has nearly finished it already.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Xmann wrote:For someone that's never played any of the AC games, would this be a good place to start?
I don't think playing the previous games is necessary to start playing ACS. There's an introductory video that gives a short background on the Assassins and the Templars, basically the former are good, the latter are bad. The earlier games also don't have some of the gameplay features found in the latest version. So I'd say that if you really, really want the full Assassin's Creed experience, and have the time, you should start if the first one. Otherwise Syndicate is a good a place to start as any.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So... I did play ACS for a few hours last December, but for some reason it didn't click with me. I got in about six hours then went back to Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3. I uninstalled it sometime later on to save disk space.

So today I was thinking that I'm kind of burned out on The Crew and it's going to be about two weeks before Mafia III comes out, and who know if it will really live up to expectations? I was watching a PBS program called "Secrets of Westminster" and that got me thinking about London which got me thinking about Assassin's Creed Syndicate which motivated me to re-install the game and give it another go.

I've played about three or four hours (Uplay time stats are wonky) and am back to where I was last December. And maybe because I played it before and understand it better, or maybe because I'm not distracted by other games, I'm thinking that it's a pretty good game, at least so far. I'll continue with it for now and see how it goes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive wanted it since it first came out. Its on my wishlist still. Playing in a time closer to my own, in London, wit ha brother and sister gang....ya I want that. But I never find a good sale and when I do I dont have the money.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Right now best price is $25.99 USD at Humble Bundle. There usually aren't too many sales on Ubisoft stuff, but I'll keep an eye out.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found it for $15 at G2A...no money. And the Special Edition with the Darwin and Dickens missions for $18. They also have Metal Gear Solid 5 for $20.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sheesh, I don't know what was wrong with me last December, I'm really enjoying the game now. I guess because I never got around to unlocking the Grand Theft Wagon portion of the game :D ; I'm getting to like stealing cargo wagons from the bad guys. Like all the previous Assassin's Creed games, there's a lot to do besides the main missions, in fact sometimes it's hard to decide. But now that I'm on my second play-through I understand the different categories of missions and when one I should select for what I need.

I also figured out the Uplay portal on how it's handling my statistics for the games. My playtime for ACS seemed locked at 6H 42M because apparently that's how far I got last time in the campaign. When I restarted it continued to show that value until I exceeded it in my current play-through, now the time is 7H 39M. Both my characters are at level 4 and they seem have to been there awhile, but maybe because I wasn't doing too many of the mainline missions. Anyway, I'm having a really good time. Mafia III is going to have to be pretty good for me to pull me away, assuming I'm still working on ACS when Mafia III comes out.

A couple of other things that this AC game is doing right compared to the last ones. The first is the grapple; it is so nice not to have to figure out those obscure hand-holds and little ledges to get up the sides of the really tall objects in the game. I remember that there was one viewpoint in a previous game in Venice that I actually could not unlock because I couldn't figure out how to get to the top :grund: . Now it's a lot easier. And it doesn't take away from the enjoyment; you can still do the climbing if you want too.

The other thing I really like is that your base is on a moving train. That's really cool. You can check the safe and get refills and pick up side missions and all the while you are roaming around London. And if you want to relax, hop up on the roof and watch the city go by :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just wanted to post that I'm up to sixteen hours of gaming with ACS right now and am still really enjoying it. There's lots of very different things to do, between assassinations, sneaking around old buildings, racing through the streets in carriages, robbing trains, and just climbing up Nelson's Column to take a selfie with the admiral :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im trying to start playing this and at the very start I just dont think Im going to be able to do it. If it would use the same key binds as Black Flag Id be set and going. But theres a separate button for run and parkour. Usually they are the same key so Id hold down my key and run and when I got to a wall or whatever Id simply shimmy right on up it. but in here I run into the wall and stand there until I reach over and hold the parkour key. HORRIBLE. I cannot play like this.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Huh. I played all the way through Syndicate and I don't remember it being any big thing.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I loved Syndicate. Probably my 3rd favorite one after Black Flag and the first Ezio AC. I don't recall any issues with the controls in comparison to those others. Although I do remember being inordinately fond of the berserker darts. :wub:
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think my biggest problem with this game is how damn long it takes to kill or beat up a person. My goodness it takes forever.

And why must I be standing SO bloody close to objects to interact with them....like chests?

And why can I not pickpocket at all?

The AI could use a tweaking. Everyone reports..well yells...about me stealing from corpses. Even a kid or someone I JUST saved from the bad guy Im looting.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I am havign a hell of a good time with this game yet at the same time I hate this fucking game.

In the first area of London I start in Ive cleared it except this one enemy spot. It wont go away. Theres a mission to kidnap a bad guy and toss him in our carriage and kidnap him. This is how it goes.

Kidnap guy - his buddies kill me
kidnap guy cops kill me
kidnap guy have to fight 5 others then die
attack cops get killed
kill bad guys and cops then kidnap guy and cant find a carriage..anywhere!
Kidnap guy steal my own carriage ...have no place to take him.

I FUCKING HATE THIS MISSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...40 tries and Im tired.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Video games are going to be the death of you.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I can't fathom playing so many video games while hating each and every one of them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I know right? I just dont really enjoy anything anymore.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I don't really like the kidnap missions either. I usually just kill the kidnap victim most of the time. You still have to get the body to a destination, but it's easier to drop a body - fight people - and pick the body back up then fight people while the victim escapes. You don't get as much reward, but it gets rid of the mission / clears the area.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Ive realized why this game hasn't grabbed me and Im on my 6th try. Stupidity and loading time. I was just attacked by a rival gang and the 2 cops standing there jumped in to help the gang and attack me. And then each time you load...like quick travel to the train or reload after death you are stuck in a white screen for 30 seconds. Doesn't seem to matter the entire level was loaded when you died and it will spawn you 2 feet from where you died..it takes too long.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

One pet peeve with this game is simply getting around to do stuff. It starts you in the top of London map wise. The city is made of big blocks. Well the two below me are lvl 5 and 6 stuff and Im only lvl 2 after doing everything in the beginner area. I have quests in the 3rd one down that are lvl 2. So to get there I have to pass 2 higher lvl areas. Ive died every time to enemy gangs. I can run or I can carriage and I die. I have a train that is my base and it travels the map. But either I dont catch it to fast travel to when its down there where I need to go OR I stay on it and it never goes down there. So I hop off as close as I can and run...and die.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I think I just stuck to rooftops when I had to cross that zone. As soon as you get the viewpoint, it becomes moot.