XCOM+Mechwarrior*Space Hulk/Company of Heroes=?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

XCOM+Mechwarrior*Space Hulk/Company of Heroes=?

Post by tgb »

Templar Battleforce

Not the prettiest turn-based tactical combat you'll ever see but Templar Battleforce pushes it's influences so far to the front it's almost a wonder the developer hasn't been called out, let alone sued. In order:

1) Turn-based, squad based combat with persistent squaddies that level up to new abilities and talents - check
2) Extensive tech tree that unlocks new equipment, weapons, armor, and units - check
3) Missions consisting of moving along claustrophobic derelict spacecraft while fighting off hordes of aliens - check
4) Armor made of mech-suits that heat up with every action and can injure the wearer if overheating - check
5) "Supply stations" that have to be captured and held in order to increase supply points for regenerating units and giving you more to control - check

So far I've only played the first couple of tutorial missions. It's pretty deep with lots of stats and equipment to keep track of, where units have action points and movement points, and armor upgrades independently of whoever is wearing it. It's too soon to tell if it has legs. I'm still in a point in the campaign that's on rails, so I have no idea if it will open up, and there doesn't appear to be any skirmish or random maps.

Still, it's only $9 which makes it easy to check out if you're into this kind of thing.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
GreenGoo

Re: XCOM+Mechwarrior*Space Hulk/Company of Heroes=?

Post by GreenGoo »

While I understand that other games have those attributes, I fail to find fault in those attributes existing in newer games.

It could be their implementation is exactly or nearly so of other games, but the point form list only served to get me very, very interested in the game, not offended that other games I enjoyed sported some of the same.

More coherently, the summary was intriguing and in no way felt like unfair or unreasonable usage.

I'll check it out tonight.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Animations look a little "Super Nintendo" (and I'm not talking about Chrono Trigger), but it looks like it hits all the right spots otherwise. I'll add it to my list.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

My comment about a lawsuit was sarcastic, and certainly a lot of games borrow from others, but rarely does a game borrows so many elements from so many different sources.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

tgb wrote:My comment about a lawsuit was sarcastic, and certainly a lot of games borrow from others, but rarely does a game borrows so many elements from so many different sources.
Perhaps, but the flip side of that is how many times have you played a game that reinvented the wheel for no good reason, only to realize that their newly invented wheel isn't nearly as good as the last decade's evolution of the wheel?

I've lost count of how many times I've said to myself "this mechanic exists in multiple generations of games. It has as well known look and feel and the UI behaves like this normally. Why on earth did they change it?" Instead of changing it iteratively in an attempt to build on and make it better than previous versions, they give a new coder free rein, and makes something that would have been acceptable a decade ago, but now just feels awkward and unpolished.

In any case, it can be a fine line between making the same game again and again, and making something that is fresh and new while still being appealing.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I watched a video and I'm not sure what to make of it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still trying to parse the thread title. Is it 20?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Blackhawk wrote:I'm still trying to parse the thread title. Is it 20?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Archinerd wrote:
Really? I used LEMBAS.

Elf math is hard.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

That's your mistake, you should be using GOOMBA.

So, is this game any good or is it just a knock-off of everything else?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Archinerd wrote:That's your mistake, you should be using GOOMBA.

So, is this game any good or is it just a knock-off of everything else?
I really haven't had time to put into it the last couple of days. It's tough. My party got wiped in the 3rd tutorial mission. I have to go out of town for work tomorrow and won't be back until Monday, but I'm going to try to put some time in before I leave.
tgb

Post by tgb »

OK. I went back to the mission I blew the first time and this time I'm a lot more cautious - perhaps too cautious. I'm coming up against a time limit and there's no way I'm going to finish on time. I don't know if that mean total failure or just loss of a bonus.

Anyway, I'm liking the game quite a bit. If the bullet points in my first post make your winkle twinkle, it's definitely worth the $10. The weakest element is the graphics - the game looks like Gauntlet.

But real men don't care about graphics anyway, right?

RIGHT?????
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote:
Archinerd wrote:
Really? I used LEMBAS.

Elf math is hard.
It's Common Core.
Black Lives Matter.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

They've continued to polish the crap out of this since release.
Anybody played recently?
Worth $6.99 on Steam this week?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Reviews are overwhelmingly positive so I'm pretty tempted. Maybe I'll skip my burrito this week and get this instead.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, this slipped off my radar and I didn't realize it was part oft he sales this week. Definitely looks interesting, but the overwhelmingly positive reviews (and low system specs) make it sound like a really good idea.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I got this during the Xmas sale on a trade, and I've only played the first mission (or maybe 2?). It seems decent, but definitely had a warhammer 40k vibe in less of a good way and more of a rip off way. Which doesn't bug me too much, but it's hard to not notice.

My limited experience makes me think it's a decent turn based tactical game, more old school than anything.