Stellaris: New Paradox Sci Fi Grand Strategy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Stellaris: New Paradox Sci Fi Grand Strategy

Post by LordMortis »

I've never really tread eggshells around Fallen Empires and haven't had a problem. Historically, they've made their demands clear and I've abided them until this game when I refused to give up AI. It took a while, maybe 10 years, but then the Fallen Empire came and bitch slapped me. All I had to do was concede to his demands and he turned turned from Red Angry to Green Patronizing.

[einstein from Rick and Morty]I will mess with AI! I will mess with AI![/einstein from Rick and Morty]

I still want to find the system full of inhabbited Gaia worlds again. I assume there was Fallen Empire assoicated with them but I have no idea. The more of those sorts of storied worlds in the game the more alive the Galaxy feels.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Have you guys ever warped into a Fallen Empire's system during a war?
Spoiler:
Some of them have ring worlds. It is pretty epic.
In other news, the first race pack DLC is incoming in August. I think it only adds aesthetics (perhaps a few mechanical elements, but not much info yet). The biggest draw is plant races (plantoids).
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I finally managed to beat a Fallen Empire in my current game... took me 150 years to get a fleet and the tech to do it, but immensely satisfying once it happened.

I'm trying to get control of the ring worlds they had, but because of the alliance I'm in it's been tricky politically.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

baelthazar wrote:Have you guys ever warped into a Fallen Empire's system during a war?
Spoiler:
In other news, the first race pack DLC is incoming in August. I think it only adds aesthetics (perhaps a few mechanical elements, but not much info yet). The biggest draw is plant races (plantoids).
Not yet but I'm getting close to attacking the guy who literally humiliated me for having AI. I'm looking forward to finding out about your spolier. I saw the thing of which you mention once. It was not, to my knowledge, tied to an ancient but it was a Zoo full of worlds and came with a pretty drastic warning to stay out.

This game was shortly before for one of the major updates, so I never found out. I've been itching to see more stuff like this ever since. There's so much room for so many little scifi stories. If I were a modder, I'd be all about creating or working with other people's work to make this into such an epic storied game. I'm hoping Paradox eventually does this.

So much potential for something I'm already playing way too much in its current state.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote:I finally managed to beat a Fallen Empire in my current game... took me 150 years to get a fleet and the tech to do it, but immensely satisfying once it happened.

I'm trying to get control of the ring worlds they had, but because of the alliance I'm in it's been tricky politically.
I want to do another alliance game but not before I actually finish my current normal conquest game.

I also want to do another vassal game but apparently not before the fix the protectorate bug.

I also want to do a slaver/purist purging overlord game.

I also want to see how the game plays out as a pacifist

and...
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote: I also want to do another vassal game but apparently not before the fix the protectorate bug.
I had to grab a couple of mods to fix the current issues, but I've found playing with a lot of vassals pretty satisfying. I like that until very recently my own territory on the map was tiny... no more than maybe 2-3% of the map, but if you looked at the political map and include my vassals, I controlled about 33% of it. This helped me get way ahead in terms of tech since I only had a handful of planets.

The downside is the fleet I could support from my tiny territory was about 60K combat strength, but collectively my vassals could maybe field 30K, even though collectively they had territory many times the size of mine. If I had direct control of those territories I could have supported a much, much larger fleet, even taking into account having to setup a ton of sectors.

I'm actually wondering if I would have done better making most of my vassals tributaries instead, and used their tribute to support a larger fleet, although doing that I wouldn't get the naval capacity boost from their pops and spaceports, so I might have a ton of resources, but not enough capacity to utilize them.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote:I'm actually wondering if I would have done better making most of my vassals tributaries instead, and used their tribute to support a larger fleet, although doing that I wouldn't get the naval capacity boost from their pops and spaceports, so I might have a ton of resources, but not enough capacity to utilize them.
Naval Capacity in a small empire is a crutch I don't think you can get past unless there is something past the 5th "increase naval capacity by 10%" that I've not paid attention to because I was looking to to get the 35th leader or 15th core system or something. I think I currently sit at a pop of about 300 on about 15 or 18 planets all with level 6 spaceports and I still haven't hit a naval capacity of 500 yet.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

My new race that I am trying out is a Military Republic of cute Fox mammals that are very strong (with the government bonus that is +50% to army strength) and charismatic (offset with not adaptable). They are also fanatic militarists and xenophiles. My plan is to have them benevolently incorporate any wayward xenos under their protection.

I still need to get back to my Imperium of Man race. It is just kinda hard being xenophobic and repugnant, even if you have a more powerful military.

Not sure how much I care for the 1.20 diplomacy changes. I sort of liked the embassy idea, since it was like the diplomats you sent in EU (and it limited your diplomatic efforts but also speeded them up). Now this trust mechanic feels like you have little chance to actually control diplomatic relations. Perhaps I am missing something, though, since I have not gotten to play much after the patch.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

baelthazar wrote:Have you guys ever warped into a Fallen Empire's system during a war?
Spoiler:
You are correct about the new race type. The only preview info I have seen is for the race that specializes in biochemistry, especially hallucinogenics and time-distortion. I believe they are called Potted Plants.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

crickets
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, you do realize there are already fungoid races, right. :ugeek:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Freyland wrote:crickets
I'm interested if it brings new stuff to the game and it sounds like it does. So it will likely depend on pricing. I'm not a fan of what feels like subscribing to content when I paid full price for a game at the outset. This gets a wait and see exception because I've already logged nearly 400 hours into the game and have enjoyed most of them.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Unagi wrote:Well, you do realize there are already fungoid races, right. :ugeek:
The fungoids are merely pale imitations of the higher plant life form.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Biochemistry, hallucinogenics, time-distortion....Potted Plants.

Clearly funnier in my head. :oops:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Freyland wrote:Biochemistry, hallucinogenics, time-distortion....Potted Plants.

It was funny :D. It's just too early in the morning for me to appreciate it right away. Took a few minutes... "ah, Potted Plants" :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zarathud wrote:
Unagi wrote:Well, you do realize there are already fungoid races, right. :ugeek:
The fungoids are merely pale imitations of the higher plant life form.
Fungi aren't plants.
These organisms are classified as a kingdom, Fungi, which is separate from the other eukaryotic life kingdoms of plants and animals.
Similar to animals, fungi are heterotrophs, that is, they acquire their food by absorbing dissolved molecules, typically by secreting digestive enzymes into their environment.
Fungi are genetically more closely related to animals than to plants.
:geek:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hence the reason for plant superiority. Purge the Fungi!
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sorry, I'm too dense to see that connection without it essentially being pointed out. :oops:
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Speaking of species that are neither plant nor fungus, yet share similarities to both...

"Another race we are planning to include is a sessile species with the unique attribute of almost always reappearing after they should have been destroyed. You can count on the tenacious "Algae-bak" to spice up your mid and late game conflicts."
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I was responding in kind. Basically saying that the shrooms cover hallucinogenic / time-distortion better than pot would.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Unagi wrote:

I was responding in kind. Basically saying that the shrooms cover hallucinogenic / time-distortion better than pot would.
Subtlety meet Counter-Subtlety. :doh:
baelthazar

Stellaris: New Paradox Sci Fi Grand Strategy

Post by baelthazar »

The Potted Plants, originating on the planet Spliff, this race thrived on the stoney highlands of the tundra world. Weeding out the weak members of the race, a collection of buds banded together to build their first starship on 4/20/2200. Head Leader Mary Jane Ganga said, "Our progress has bowled me over! Today we light up our engines and explore Rasta-far from home. To put it bluntly, ounce for ounce the Potted Plants are by far the dankest race in the galaxy!" Bong-os were played as the ship left a smokey trail into the sky.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

220 years in. Had a fleet strength of 100k. from over 500 ships. Faced the unbidden. Didn't have a chance. No one helped.

I guess that's way better than 120 years in but I'm still concerned the crisis is a bit much.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LordMortis wrote:220 years in. Had a fleet strength of 100k. from over 500 ships. Faced the unbidden. Didn't have a chance. No one helped.

I guess that's way better than 120 years in but I'm still concerned the crisis is a bit much.
Crisis mods man, crisis mods. Only reason I'm still playing the game.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lassr wrote:
LordMortis wrote:220 years in. Had a fleet strength of 100k. from over 500 ships. Faced the unbidden. Didn't have a chance. No one helped.

There is something about the pure ironman game that appeals to me. But yeah, I get where you are coming from. It's a lot of time and planning to get hit with untenable frustration.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LordMortis wrote:
Lassr wrote:

There is something about the pure ironman game that appeals to me. But yeah, I get where you are coming from. It's a lot of time and planning to get hit with untenable frustration.
Well, my latest game just ended...

Luckily I was only a few hours in but the races to my left and right were all of equivalent strength to me. Race to the right declared war on me and I was going toe-to-toe with him on that front, I didn't realize the race to my left was in an alliance with him. SO as my Eastern Front was stabilized my Western Front was crushed. I lost half my empire to these jack-holes and no where to expand and not enough planets left to rebuild a large enough fleet to battle them.

Restart.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lassr wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Lassr wrote:

Well, my latest game just ended...

Luckily I was only a few hours in but the races to my left and right were all of equivalent strength to me. Race to the right declared war on me and I was going toe-to-toe with him on that front, I didn't realize the race to my left was in an alliance with him. SO as my Eastern Front was stabilized my Western Front was crushed. I lost half my empire to these jack-holes and no where to expand and not enough planets left to rebuild a large enough fleet to battle them.

Restart.
The good news has been I have put in 100s of hours of failure into this game and I've only ever really resented it a few times and never enough to actually rage quit, only rant my dis satisfaction here.

Given the difficulty ramp up for "normal", the easiest setting they have, you'd think either a) you could choose your starting empire leaders traits or b) you could dumb down the crisis.

I've begun start scrumming as a bad start plus crisis means "nope." I either need about space miner trait or at least 5 systems in my starting area to survey before I accept a start.

Which leads me to UI change request being send to the ether: Galaxy start settings should default to your last choice, so you don't need to keep setting them every time you start another game.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LordMortis wrote:
The good news has been I have put in 100s of hours of failure into this game
I passed the 100 hour mark last night. That includes 5 games, 4 ending in failure and the one lone "not failure." Can't say victory as I was no where close to the victory conditions but I was tops in the galaxy.

Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

LordMortis wrote:Which leads me to UI change request being send to the ether: Galaxy start settings should default to your last choice, so you don't need to keep setting them every time you start another game.
This is such a basic tenet of good UI design that I am shocked when games don't support it.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Arrgh. Someone looted the Yucht home world before me.

I am wedged between 2 Fallen Empires but managed to purge 3 individualist species to preserve about 1/3 of the galaxy for my own expansion. The Fallen race I will surround are custodians of fallen and holy worlds. The other Fallen limits my access to prime Continental worlds as they are rabidly isolationist, but that forced two weaker species to fight desperately every 10 years which has benefitted me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote:Arrgh. Someone looted the Yucht home world before me.

In my many many tries I've yet to see all of the Yucht or Irassian or whatever else objectives. I think I made it to 5 of 6 once. They're just too "maybe you find them, maybe you don't."
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unlike you folks, I don't have much time in Stellaris, I'm just starting my third game. I do have a newbie question, based upon my previous experience with GalCiv3. Is there a tech tree for my civilization? I didn't see one in my first two games, but I figured maybe I didn't get far enough to uncover it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Yeah, it's kind of weird. To find your tech tree you have to first research the tech that lets you research. Unfortunately, it's about third up the tech tree.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Freyland wrote:Yeah, it's kind of weird. To find your tech tree you have to first research the tech that lets you research. Unfortunately, it's about third up the tech tree.
Thanks for the info. I don't mind the lack of a tech tree, it makes it kinda fun, but I was just wondering if it ever would show up.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm confused by the question and answer.

Maybe its just the terms used.

Techs have prerequisites but the chains are so separated horizontal that I don't think of it as a tree. Almost no techs run deeper than 4 except for techs that you can research for the same bonus repeatedly. There is no in game way to review the map of techs that are yet to become available to you (as far as I know)

These techs and their prerequisites:

http://www.stellariswiki.com/Technology

Tech chart

https://s32.postimg.org/phg96nfur/Stellaris_Tree.jpg

There seem to be several kinds of techs and the huge and ugly chart does a good job.

There are a few techs that are specific to your starting ethics and a few where the researcher must have a specific specialty to become available. I haven't really engaged in finding these out but would you like me track them down and post them?

Examples:

Capacitor fields my have a physicist with Field Manipulation or Spark of Brilliance to become available.
Virtual Combat is only available to militarist ethics.

Then there are some techs that can only be reverse engineered from battles.
Then there are some techs that are specific to your interstellar travel method.

I have no idea it that helps.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LordMortis wrote:I'm confused by the question and answer.
The answer was an Esher-esque bull$hit attempt at humor that jztemple2 chose to kindly accept with a straight face. Your answer was much more helpful, and I shall take my failed attempts at comedy and withdraw from the thread until I have something meaningful to add, or questions of my own when I finally have a chance to play the darn game. :whistle:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I suck at humor. It's not even the first time in this thread I missed the joke. :oops:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Freyland wrote:
LordMortis wrote:I'm confused by the question and answer.
The answer was an Esher-esque bull$hit attempt at humor that jztemple2 chose to kindly accept with a straight face. Your answer was much more helpful, and I shall take my failed attempts at comedy and withdraw from the thread until I have something meaningful to add, or questions of my own when I finally have a chance to play the darn game. :whistle:
I thought it was funny. OTOH, my sense of humour is... questionable. :)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LordMortis wrote:I suck at humor. It's not even the first time in this thread I missed the joke. :oops:
From me, no less! :D
Max Peck wrote:I thought it was funny. OTOH, my sense of humour is... questionable. :)
Yay! A good note to end on.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I should probably get back to this.