GOG Galaxy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

GOG Galaxy

Post by Rumpy »

This is GOG's standalone client. I decided to check it out by joining the open beta. Apparently it rolls out of beta fairly soon. So far, I'm rather underwhelmed by it.

There's little in the way of configuration yet, and the interface, while snappy and responsive, could use some refinement. If I click on a game on my list for instance, I can't back out of it. I have to click Library again rather than being able to click an arrow to get to the previous screen.

As for the library, it might have something to do with the client being installed on a different drive, but all the games appear as yet to be installed. I'll try installing to the drive the games are on later to see if that fixes anything. But one feature I really hope they add is the ability to scan for the games you already have installed, or at least allow you the ability to manually point to the installation folder. That would greatly increase usability, convenience and relevance of the client in my book.

Some of the features that I wanted such as auto-updating aren't yet available, but they'll likely be available soon.

Overall, it feels much like their website tacked onto a client, which doesn't really offer any benefits at this point. I'm sure it will improve though.

Anyone else have any impressions?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Defiant

Re: GOG Galaxy

Post by Defiant »

i haven't used it yet, but what would be nice would be the ability to see documentation/guides/etc in game (the way steam allows you to access their browser in game).
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You can, actually. But as I said earlier, the interface could use a bit of work. It's not very intuitive in places. Click on the game title, then beside Install/Play, click on More, and they're under download extras. That's a lot of clicks to get to something that should be more obvious. The client should be more straightforward. Kind of clunky this way.

Edit: So, I found out that it does actually have scanning and importing, but it's another example of something not being very obvious. I actually had to find that info by browsing their forums. Beside the search box, there's the + sign. If you click that, you have the option of adding games that are already installed by having it scan for folders originating from GOG installers. Not a very speedy process if it has a lot to search, but it's a start. Also seems to be rather inconsistent. It can find some games, but a large part of them aren't found.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Sometime when it work, I can download one game successfully but then the next one it'll be stuck in middle of download. So far it failed to download games successfully more often than when it successfully downloaded a game. I guess it is probably a problem with the akamai server for my region, but it should keep retrying instead of just stop right there in middle of download.

At this time, the gog galaxy is no competition to steam or origin client.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I just got a beta key today. Is it worth playing with or would you recommend waiting?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I downloaded it, but it's still got a ways to go before it becomes even remotely useful, in my opinion. Right now it's just another way to view your library, really.
Covfefe!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

hepcat wrote:it's still got a ways to go before it becomes even remotely useful, in my opinion. Right now it's just another way to view your library, really
I thought it provided automatic patching for your GOG games like Steam does for Steam games? If that's working that alone makes it worth using, imo.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rumpy wrote:Some of the features that I wanted such as auto-updating aren't yet available, but they'll likely be available soon.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I installed it yesterday. Like others have said, it isn't terribly useful yet. Then again, it is an early beta. I don't expect it to be fully useful. Or stable.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

hepcat wrote:I downloaded it, but it's still got a ways to go before it becomes even remotely useful, in my opinion. Right now it's just another way to view your library, really.
If it at least serves as a place to launch your games, it can at least prevent clutter in the start menu.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I already add all shortcuts to steam, so it's not helping me there. Also, it apparently makes you redownload and install your games through the client before you can launch them.

I'm sure I'll use it once they add some useful components, which it sounds like they're planning on doing shortly.
Covfefe!
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

hepcat wrote:....it apparently makes you redownload and install your games through the client before you can launch them....
According to Question 11 of the Common Questions section at the bottom of the GOG Galaxy webpage:

11. I have a lot of games installed on my PC already. Will GOG Galaxy detect my games, or will I have to reinstall the entire library?

You can add your installed games to the Client. Games installed with our newer installers (available on the website for a few months now) will be detected automatically, older installations will require you to add the game manually.

The wording on the last phrase is vague and I didn't know what was meant by "add the game manually." I hope by the time it's out of beta GOG Galaxy will not require all older installations to be reinstalled. With as many GOG games as I have installed, that would be a major P.I.T.A.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote:I downloaded it, but it's still got a ways to go before it becomes even remotely useful, in my opinion. Right now it's just another way to view your library, really.

Yeah, that would be a fair assessment. I don't want to be too harsh on it knowing it's a beta, but it needs work. It feels frustratingly limited and there are too many things that should be obvious but instead are hidden deep within the interface.

Yesterday, I was knocked offline for several hours. I decided to test something and loaded up the client. I was shocked when I realized I couldn't see my full library. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I'd like for the client to have a client-side library, one where I can see everything, that could be refreshed the next time the client is logged in. This is yet another limitation of it being more or less a copy of its website and have to admit I'm quite disappointed. The way Steam does it is nice, where games that aren't installed are greyed out or faded out depending on which interface you use.
Greybriar wrote: The wording on the last phrase is vague and I didn't know what was meant by "add the game manually." I hope by the time it's out of beta GOG Galaxy will not require all older installations to be reinstalled. With as many GOG games as I have installed, that would be a major P.I.T.A.
Like I mentioned, what it can and can't import is extremely iffy. I have a fairly large GOG library, and pointing it towards the correct drive or folder should have technically detected all of them based on what they've said, but it only detected 4, and 3 of those are fairly recent. I tried pointing it directly to specific game folders, but that didn't work, telling me it didn't detect anything. That's including their very own Witcher 2 which was downloaded fairly recently. The manual importing is more difficult than it needs to be.

When a game is successfully imported, it then proceeds to update the game once, even if you've set it to not update.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm guessing they're going to learn that you can't mimic steam without adopting at least some of the things they've used in their advertising as a reason to use GOG instead of steam. :wink:
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, there are some things that Steam does that have become so ingrained into our psyche, that we just expect it to be the case everywhere.

Having a client-side library might seem like a small thing, but I like to see my whole library at a glance, and the fact that you need to be logged in with internet access shows a glaring weakness to the overall client. It relies too much on fetching data.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I do like that fact that it will be Steam compatible. That's a huge plus.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Victoria Raverna wrote:Sometime when it work, I can download one game successfully but then the next one it'll be stuck in middle of download. So far it failed to download games successfully more often than when it successfully downloaded a game. I guess it is probably a problem with the akamai server for my region, but it should keep retrying instead of just stop right there in middle of download.

At this time, the gog galaxy is no competition to steam or origin client.
Found a workaround for the problem. Seem like it only affect some region or some ISP. If I run it under VPN so that it'll connect to different CDN servers, it can download successfully including the last 0.5 MB. Without VPN, most of the time it'll not be able to complete the download, It'll download to just before the last 0.5 MB then stuck there.

I also had problem with Origin sometime so I think it is probably a problem with my ISP and akamai or edgecast CDN.

With Steam, no problem downloading at all. With Steam it usually download from akamai server that is hosted by my ISP but also able to download from other servers if I change the download location to other countries.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

GOG GALAXY 2.0
Your Games
Organize your games across platforms into one functional and beautiful library.

One library
Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection.

Game stats
Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned, combined across platforms.

Game launcher
Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform.

Full customization
Create custom library views by filtering, sorting, tagging and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds and covers.

Games discovery SOON
Follow upcoming releases, and discover games popular among your friends and the gaming community.
https://www.gogalaxy.com/en/
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, has anyone gotten an invite to the Beta? I did today and just downloaded it. My first impressions are that it's pretty slick. Once installed, it proceeds to migrate everything over and even has you already logged in if you were logged in the previous version. So, nothing really needed user-input, really.

First screen you see is the Recent activity screen, which I suppose is like the Steam Home screen/Profile screen.

Next, possibly the most important bit, the game list. These are separated into two tabs, of All Games, and Installed. Those end up showing you a grid of cover art (which is also switchable to a list view), and the size of that art is fully customizable, so if the screen feels too busy for you, you can change it to a larger size. That customization is nice and any tab you create will have its own independent grid settings.

Looking at the Settings menu next, I see that service integration is completely optional. I have none connected, however. The XBox integration is an official integration, while the others, ( Epic, Origin, PSN, Steam, Uplay) are all community integrations. This means that the system is flexible via modules, and I'm assuming that you'll eventually be able to add modules via Galaxy as they become available.

Overall, I think impressions are much more favourable than the first-go round with the first version of Galaxy. I remember not being terribly impressed it with it at the time. My only wish is that they'll allow custom backgrounds/color schemes, as I'm not sold on the magenta/grey scheme they have going on.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:58 pm So, has anyone gotten an invite to the Beta? I did today and just downloaded it. My first impressions are that it's pretty slick. Once installed, it proceeds to migrate everything over and even has you already logged in if you were logged in the previous version. So, nothing really needed user-input, really.

First screen you see is the Recent activity screen, which I suppose is like the Steam Home screen/Profile screen.

Next, possibly the most important bit, the game list. These are separated into two tabs, of All Games, and Installed. Those end up showing you a grid of cover art (which is also switchable to a list view), and the size of that art is fully customizable, so if the screen feels too busy for you, you can change it to a larger size. That customization is nice and any tab you create will have its own independent grid settings.

Looking at the Settings menu next, I see that service integration is completely optional. I have none connected, however. The XBox integration is an official integration, while the others, ( Epic, Origin, PSN, Steam, Uplay) are all community integrations. This means that the system is flexible via modules, and I'm assuming that you'll eventually be able to add modules via Galaxy as they become available.

Overall, I think impressions are much more favourable than the first-go round with the first version of Galaxy. I remember not being terribly impressed it with it at the time. My only wish is that they'll allow custom backgrounds/color schemes, as I'm not sold on the magenta/grey scheme they have going on.
I just heard about it the other day. (PC Gamer?) No invite though. It surely sounds intriguing.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I got my invite to the GOG Galaxy 2.0 client. Downloaded, installed, and connected all of my accounts easily. I haven't messed with the client much yet but I was definitely impressed with how user-friendly the setup was. It seems to have found all of my games, installed or not, in seconds.

- Ash
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GOG Galaxy 2.0 has moved to an open beta, so anyone that wants to try it out and didn't get a beta invite is now able to help themselves.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Does this allow you to see games by platform or launcher? Like just show Steam games or just Uplay games and then also allow me to use like Uplay bucks to buy extras for my Uplay games? If not whats the use?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:36 pm Does this allow you to see games by platform or launcher?
Yes.
Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:36 pm allow me to use like Uplay bucks to buy extras for my Uplay games?
I can't imagine any platform allowing a third party client to handle actual transactions.
Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:36 pm If not whats the use?
I have games on GoG, Uplay, Origin, Epic, Bethesda, Steam, Twitch, and a variety of single launchers (such as World of Tanks or MMOs.) If I want to see my RPGs, I have to launch and check seven (likely more) different clients to see what RPGs I have. I frequently find a game I want on Steam, realize I can't afford it, and wishlist it or just give up. Then, months later, discover that I already had a copy on a client that gave it away a year earlier. With something like this, I can look in one place and see everything I have.

I don't use GoG for that (I use Playnite, a third party app that does the same thing), but the idea is the same.

I will give it a look when it comes out, but unless it can match the kind of filtering and tagging Playnite offers, I doubt I'll make it my primary library.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I frequently find a game I want on Steam, realize I can't afford it, and wishlist it or just give up. Then, months later, discover that I already had a copy on a client that gave it away a year earlier. With something like this, I can look in one place and see everything I have.
Thats a good point. Ive done that more than once. In fact I did it the other night. I wish Steam had some way for me to mark a game on my wishlist as owned on another platform. I own a couple games on my Steam wishlist elsewhere but I dont wont to remove it from my list as I like it tells the date I added it and its a memory to me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:06 pm
I will give it a look when it comes out, but unless it can match the kind of filtering and tagging Playnite offers, I doubt I'll make it my primary library.
I feel the filtering and categorizing outclass Steam. It's got a bit more going on, plus you can resize the covers which is something Steam doesn't let you do. I don't know how much of that is similar to Playnite.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Multiple customizable, individually filterable fields.

I can take a game. Say, the latest Deus Ex. I can categorize it as the 'RPG' genre, the 'Sci-fi' setting, and then tag it as 'cyberpunk' and 'immersive sim'. I can then tag Shadowrun: Dragonfall as 'RPG', 'Sci-fi', and 'cyberpunk', and 'top down.'

When I'm in the mood for a game, I can then turn on the filters for 'RPG' and 'Sci-fi' and have both of them show up, or just turn on 'RPG' and 'Top Down' and have only Shadowrun show up (along with the Baldur's Gates, Diablos, etc.)

It lets me take a library of many hundreds of titles collected over 15 years on seven+ platforms and narrow it down to the few that fit what I'm looking for with like three clicks. 'FPS' 'Real-World' and 'Military'. Or 'Strategy' and 'Turn Based'.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

One annoyance I've noticed regarding uninstalling games is that the client won't update and give you a notification that it's completed the uninstallation and the status will still stay as installed until you exit completely and relaunch the client. And this behavior has persisted even after multiple updates, so I hope they'll fix it soon.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

with my new computer, i've switched to using this as my 'gaming' front end. linked Battle.net, Epic, Humble Bundle, Minecraft, Origin, PSN, Rockstar, Steam, Uplay and Xbox Live.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For those that use this for your game library, you might want to check that it's actually keeping up to date. Apparently all of the integrations except for XBox and Epic are community integrations, and GoG points to a repository on GitHub for them. The problem is that the person/people who ran that repository are gone, nobody has access to the account, the plugins cannot be updated, and haven't been updated in a couple of years. And since GoG won't update the method for installing integrations, they've been breaking, one by one. For me, personally, Steam and Uplay no longer work. You can still see the games already imported, but if you go into Settings/Integrations, Uplay won't stay connected for more than a second or two, and Steam is permanently offline (Steam recently changed their integration procedure, and since there's no way to update the GoG plugin...)

Some of the plugins are being updated elsewhere by third parties, but they're unstable and require manual installation and update. If you want to hassle with it, this is apparently where the updated plugins are being organized.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I had been using this awhile back while it was still being maintained and promoted. But just a few weeks back, when I grabbed it for this new CPU, I noticed the many issues with the integrations. Tired of the hassles, I finally pulled the trigger on Playnite and have been generally satisfied with it. (I had too many duplicates, and Epic/Amazon freebies to keep track. Had to fine something to organize). It's a shame about GOG Galaxy though. I enjoyed it but I guess it wasn't worth it for GOG?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GoG Galaxy as a store/GoG frontend is still fine. It's the library integration that is completely broken.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:11 pm GoG Galaxy as a store/GoG frontend is still fine. It's the library integration that is completely broken.
Shows what I know. I never used it as a storefront. Always used the website to buy/download games from them. Huh.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't use it for the integration. There are times I feel Steam is too heavy on the resources, and in general Galaxy feels more lightweight, and I've been finding myself using it more within the last year or so.

They still haven't fixed the uninstall glitch though.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Baroquen wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:22 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:11 pm GoG Galaxy as a store/GoG frontend is still fine. It's the library integration that is completely broken.
Shows what I know. I never used it as a storefront. Always used the website to buy/download games from them. Huh.
Likewise. I only really launched it when I wanted to check my services to see where something was/check if I ever bought it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Same