Mad Max PC ...open world...the new Shadows of Mordor?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Mad Max PC ...open world...the new Shadows of Mordor?

Post by Smoove_B »

You need to change your car load out. Drop the armor down and the front grill and make sure you have the right tires. The race is all about acceleration and top speed, not surviving a head on collision. If you can get away from the pack that's a better strategy than trying to mitigate their attacks. Apparently there is healing "steam" in some of the tunnels that will bring your car back to full health if you can make the correct turns on the track. The other thing is you need to make sure your Thunderpoons are fully upgraded. I think it took me 4 or 5 shots and the race was over before the first lap finished. You can get a shot off right as the race starts but after that it's just a matter of keeping up and ignoring all the warboys that try to put themselves between you and the leader.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cruising along. Have the second last V8 and now I'm just clearing zones. Pink Eye has only 1 zone with any threat still in it, and I think there is only 1 something in Friah's territory that still generates threat, so I'll kill that next, whatever it is.

I'm on the "revenge" storyline quest, which seems like it would be the final quest, so I'm cleaning up stuff beforehand.

Convoys are a lot of fun with maxed out Opus. Thunderpoons make it too easy I think, so I just use them to thin the herd a bit then do things more traditionally (pull armour off with harpoon, crash into things).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just finished. Might be one of my favorite games ever. It's not perfect by any means, but I really hope they make more.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:Just finished. Might be one of my favorite games ever. It's not perfect by any means, but I really hope they make more.
All terrain at zero threat and I've got the final V8. I think I'll finish off the projects in Friah and then back to the storyline.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I got the Big Chief V8 I was instantly able to upgrade it all the way to the next to last one. Felt like they had more story to do but ran out of time and said F it and threw it all in at the end. Least Im guessing Im at the end. The first engine upgrades took time but the V8 was instant.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was about to go after Scrotus for the end game when I noticed I have 2 things to0 do. I have a quest to get the loudspeakers from Crow Dazzle and its marked on my map but when I get to that race area its just a normal race area...even when Im standing on the quest mark. I cant talk to Crow or find any underground thing there. Says I steal his ride or speakers..neither do I see. The other thing to do is bring the threat lvl in Pink Eyes territory down to zero. Its barely showing any threat at all after I cleaned all mines out. But I cant find a thing to finish it off. The threat is lvl 1 and I can hardly see the threat meter that would take me to zero. I cant find a co0nvoy or a tower or anything to do and finish it off. I need to finish that to get the final V8 engine.

EDIT: Ok the truck seems to be a nighte spawn...but I dont know of a way to pass time to dark so Im just hoping it changes soon. The other well it says theres a mine field in one area but its not marked on my map and I cant find it. My only recourse seems to be to hop in the buggy and drive around the whole map until the dog barks...in a unarmed and unarmored buggy. If Im spotted I can only hope they'll get out and fight with me.

EDIT2: Mines done. Got the last V8 engine....the last of the V8 interceptors....ehh anyways now I just need it to get dark :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Huh. Crow's truck is in a cordoned off area on the left when you drive up. It's before the buildings. It's a pickup truck with a pile of speakers on it. It's hard to miss, so maybe it's glitched?

On the map screen, moving the cursor around into a territory will tell you what that territory contains and what's left to do to remove threat. This might only be an option if you've taken a balloon ride in that territory, but I don't think so.

I always leave the mines to last.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I looked the locations up online .Saved me a little time. Got my engine.

That truck of Crows isn't there unless its night and I cannot get it to be night. Ive fast traveled a ton and reloaded the game..nothing...seems Ill need to start it and just sit there as time passes. If it does.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Your comments made me think of something.

There is another quest that I got around the same time, for Friah, that involves the glowing/burning mound. The quest dot is very close to the Crow's dot on the map. The burning mound quest can only be done at night. You climb up on a little outcropping and use your binoculars to look around a spot an area that is "glowing" with fire. It just looked like a normal camp fire to me, but whatever. You can't spot it unless it's night. It leads you to confront the Friah's Lt. who ran off with some of his congregation.

There is no day/night restriction to stealing the Crow's truck. I did it during early morning, if I remember correctly. It was bright enough that it was daytime, anyway.

The Crow's truck should be to the left of the building where you found your fumed up "fighter" for the V8 race. So if you look at the entrance to the building, the Crow's starting line for a Death Run is to the right, and the truck is to the left. It's also out of gas so you need to gas it up before stealing it. As you approach the truck, a couple of dudes will try to jump you. They drop off the top of the bus that is decrepit and immobile behind the truck.

The truck plays a scratchy, twanging and warbling flight of the valkyries when you start driving it. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya that spot is empty and just the little blue circle in its place. When you drive up to that station a box pops up saying the mission must be done at night time and Chum even says out loud that the truck is out running the waste and to come back at night.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote:Ya that spot is empty and just the little blue circle in its place. When you drive up to that station a box pops up saying the mission must be done at night time and Chum even says out loud that the truck is out running the waste and to come back at night.
Ok, my mistake, sorry. I guess I did it at dawn or something.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Finished it up tonight. A relatively satisfying conclusion to the game, if a bit gruesome. There were many times during the game when I wondered if I was playing a survival horror game instead of a post apocalyptic game. It was a bit too gruesome for me (for the nature of the game) although the last bit was in line with the spirit of the movies so I had no problem with it.

Plains of Silence is right. I drove around a bit after finishing, and it was...quiet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I can guess how it ends after a certain event Ive already had happen. Wish it hadn't happened that way but I guess its just Max.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There was still a (minor) surprise in it at the end, for me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow got it finished. I logged in and left Pinks Eyes in the first morning light and drove from edge of map to edge of map doing little things here and there. At around the 2 hour real time mark it started to get dusk..FINALLY!! I had to spend another 30 min or so riding around and it got dark enough for the truck to show up for me to steal it. Glad that is over with. The only thing left is Scrotus I think. Im at the place where it says theres no going back now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Has anyone tried the ingame video capture? I've been vaguely curious about video game capture for awhile now, going so far as to grab the Open Broadcastwhatever and played around with that very briefly.

Now that I've got an Nvidia card post 600 series, I should probably take a look at the shadow play doohickey.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone actually used the in game tool. I should probably have looked at it before finishing the game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That final Scrotus battle was a cake walk. Im surprised it put me back in the game after the way it ended...which I figured is the way it would go with Max being Max. Anyone know where on the map that battle took place? I was so into it I forgot to look to see. Would like to go back to that spot.

It says I can now go do all the stuff I missed but Im a detailed player so Ive done it all other than maybe a handful of scrap sites. Im missing 1 location and maybe 2 history relics. Both of which i have no clue where they are since I thought Id been everywhere lol.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

If you hover over the scrap sites it will tell you whether there is a relic there too. I got all the relics but I didn't feel like finishing off all of the regular scrap locations.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

A little thread Necromancy...

I wanted to pop in and say that I appreciate the last couple pages of comments about Gastown and the V8. I was also of the opinion that Gastown must be the end-game, but if it's not I'm going to rush there as soon as I can and grab that engine. I've only just pried open the Jaw, and haven't even touched Pink Eye's fortress (which is under attack). I'm enjoying this game more than Uruk Murder Simulator (Shadows of Mordor), and just cruising around the waste is a lot of fun.

Quick question, though - when a Threat level is dropped to zero, do enemy vehicles cease spawning in that territory? Things will get mighty quiet if that's the case. I have Jeet down to 2 and Gutgash down to 4.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Enemies still appear in zero threat areas, but they just spawn along the roadside. They don't go driving around anymore. There are a lot fewer of them too, but they're still out there in case you need to collect one of their vehicles.

The easier path to collect the rare vehicles (or the ones that are really hard to de-driverize intact) is to do the Crow Dazzle races, though.

ed - side note but I can confirm it is possible to finish 100% of all relics and scrap locations on the map.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Cool, thank you.

I am a hoarder of things, and these games play on that well.

I think I've collected just about every vehicle that I can from Jeet's area, and almost everything from Gutgash's area. I'm missing the exploding buggy - but it's an exploding buggy and damn hard to disable without exploding it. I'm trying, though. I'm at something like 50% vehicle collection right now and will abandon a mission to chase a new car if I see one, even defeating whole convoys just to escape with one of their vehicles and leave the boss intact to try again later (this should get easier now that I have Thunderpoons).

I've done a number of the races as well, but some cars are always grayed out. Maybe I'm just not supposed to have them yet?

Footnote: I play with a KB and mouse and have zero issues driving or fighting. I learned vehicle control ages ago (like in GTA3) with my keyboard and a controller doesn't improve my performance. No issues running down convoys or winning races.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm trying to avoid too many spoilers, so I don't want to dig up a mountain of info on it - but something strange happened to me last night, and I don't know if I botched the mission or found a bug.

I deck out my car as best as I can and head into the Buzzard territory for some Glowies for some psycho running a race. I discover an abandoned airport, buried in sand, and follow the green quest line right through a gate and park my car right on the green dot. Chum is nervous and doesn't want to be left alone, but I forge off into the dim light with my flashlight and intensely creepy atmospheric music going. Weaving in and out of broken columns and waste, I come to a turnstile leading down further into the bowels of the airport and GAME OVER. Continue/Load?

WTF? I was literally ejected out of the game, without dying or taking damage, because I touched a staircase? I was working my way towards the next green dot on my map - not away from it. Is this a bug, or did I go the wrong way? I didn't see any messages about me going out of bounds, or that I was breaking rules. I didn't see an alternate way to get there from where I parked my car (completely inside the terminal, on the landing where the dot was).

I mean, this is one of the creepiest places I've seen in the game yet and I don't want to spoil it for myself by watching a YouTube video of someone else going through it to see what I did wrong (if anything). Any thoughts?

An older post, but one I wanted to respond to:
Smoove_B wrote:I hear you about the V8 -- I think that's part of my problem too with the new enemy cars. They're definitely edging me out with speed and I don't dare drop my armor down for fear that I'll be a rolling glass cannon.
I kind of like the glass cannon bit. I have a serious need for speed and I run pretty naked in my car. I've opened up Pink Eye's place, got Gutgash down to 3 threat, and Jeet down to 2 - and I still run without defense. Speed, acceleration, handling, and ramming power are all that matter to me so far. I leave off the tire grinders since I avoid prolonged contact with enemies, don't use boarding spikes because I think they look terrible, and I've gotten good at taking down convoys with a couple Thunderpoons and a lot of broadside slams (middle-mouse + A or D). I can't get over enjoying the speed, though - with my Humongous V6 and Tier 2 exhaust, I've got about a 40% Top speed bar and a 45% Acceleration/Handling bar. I just love hauling ass around the wastes, and don't mind the extra challenge in combat (so far).
Last edited by Paingod on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not sure why you died but that airport is a large quest area for nearer end game.

I loved the game to death but hardly collected any cars. By the end I maybe had 3. I just stayed with the interceptor.

Im hoping for a part 2.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I might have discovered my error. I'm walking through the whole thing. I gave up and checked someone else's video of the area and they're driving through there.

It'd sure be nice if I got a note telling me "Stay with the car" and not just Chum being a nervous nelly and letting me ignore him. He's been spooked before and never a bad thing happened. Why would this be different? It's probably in the quest description or something. :?
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I always fall back on the lessons of I'76 - Never Get Outta the Car. :wink:

I think the Airport area was a bit wonky in parts. I don't remember having problems in the car, but there were areas I explored on foot and the enemy AI seemed to get buggered up trying to find paths through the maze-like structures.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Yeah the airport is a late-ish quest location, twice. Just keep driving until you can't drive no more. It's usually pretty obvious when the path ends.

In my last playthrough I knocked the shit out of that stupid V8 race. Lean and mean, just baby bars and everything else maxed out like the god says above. Don't let anything distract you from the main target.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm only at the airport to chase the V8 (I think). The split second I got through the Jaw and unlocked Pink Eye's fortress, I turned Northeast and hammered for the green (V8) quest in Gastown since I read people here calling it "too late to really enjoy it" by the time they got to it. I've got a lot left to do in the game, and it'd be nice to have the option for it.
killbot737 wrote:Lean and mean, just baby bars and everything else maxed out like the god says above. Don't let anything distract you from the main target.
That quote goes perfectly with your avatar.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Paingod wrote:I'm only at the airport to chase the V8. The split second I got through the Jaw and unlocked Pink Eye's fortress, I turned Northeast and hammered for the green V8 quest in Gastown since I read people here calling it "too late to really enjoy it" by the time they got to it.
In all honesty, I was getting by just fine with the biggest V6 and running light on armor and ramming to keep up my acceleration. Now that I've got the V8, I kind of wish I had never gone to get it. I didn't like the way that ended, at all. :cry:
Paingod wrote:I've got a lot left to do in the game, and it'd be nice to have the option for it.
Still have a lot to do - and since I'm chasing 100% completion and I have the V8, I get to hear "The Voices" as I drive around and it's a grim reminder. I wish I had saved the V8 quest for absolute last so I could exact the right punishment immediately, instead of driving around the wastes forever. "Make them remember my name!" "You got it, darlin'..." <boost-slamming into the side of a patrol car so hard it explodes in one hit> (That actually happened - I heard that exact line, then perfectly aimed a boosted T-Bone at a Speedsta on patrol while going full speed - he exploded instantly and flew a crazy distance; I wish I had that recorded)
killbot737 wrote:Lean and mean, just baby bars and everything else maxed out like the god says above. Don't let anything distract you from the main target.
I had to try that race 3 times. The first two times I daresay I was too fast. I died because I was always speeding and couldn't avoid everything. Once I slowed down a bit by tacking on the Tier 4 grill, the mission was over about 1/5 of the way through the first lap.
Black Lives Matter

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am just starting... 15 hours in, and I just tackled my first 2/5 difficulty mission... Taking down an enemy compound.

I am not very good at chasing down the last bit of loot, as I often miss one or two.

I did took down a convoy but I think that was beginner's luck. I actually nailed all the escorts and captured the small tanker itself, and drove it back to Jeets. Too bad it's not a collectible vehicle. :D

I'm back at Jeets and was trying to find him enough stuff to build the ammo forge, and now I'm off hunting for ingredients. I guess I should also do the minefield thing so I can replenish some shotgun shells. I tend to accidentally hit B and thus waste my shells. RIght now my highest priority is get a ton of scrap so I can upgrade my harpoon to L3 or L4. (It's at L2)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
KDH

Post by KDH »

a couple tips .. I hope I don't overextend myself

1) .. there are unmarked camps designated by smoke trails, and it's up to you to investigate these ... There is a safehouse tech called .. Scrap Survey (I think) .. which will put all lootable locations on your map. The important part of this is that it will tell you whether these locations have the 'tech' loot you're looking for (water, food, ammo, car body, etc) or whether they are just scrap. After a while it is difficult to get excited about rusty hunks of no-name metal. ... unfortunately, the "scrap survey" parts you need may very well be in those unmarked smoke-trail camps .. thus slowing down your ability to gain this tech (and the smoke doesn't stop after you cleared the camp)

2) .. Killing off the convoys is part of the "lowering threat" mechanic ... but, imho, when the convoys are gone, the game loses a little bit of excitement .. you can tangle with these but leave the boss-truck alive and they will regenerate their party (I think) .. may need a log-out\log-in. There are two 'special' convoys that the game tasks you with to gain specific tech

3) .. Dinky-di faces the direction of land mines that he has detected .. straight ahead, forty five degrees and ninety degrees left+right ... I wasn't paying attention to him at first and would just drive around until they showed up on the mini map

4) .. If you've got to pull the tire off a car that you need to drive back to camp (like the scrapasaurus? .. scrapappocalypse?) .. the back tire is not a good choice
Ain't nobody got time for that
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I always reversed around the mine areas. It's easier to see the direction that the dog is pointing and I found the buggy to be less twitchy.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'd love to play this game with a new map and maybe have the convoys be able to regenerate. I really did enjoy chasing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Took down a pump station, got Jeet's all the way down to threat 2. Built gas tank, got the buggy over, and got the ammo forge, so I get free ammo, and free fuel, yeah.

Now the problem is scrap, as I never seem to have enough around. I want Harpoon L4, but that's 900 scrap and I have only 749, and that's AFTER I captured a Crapulance in the pumping station I just captured, in that pump station north of Jeet's. OTOH, my allies are delivering 120 scrap a day.

I took down one convoy. It took more than one shotgun blast, but he's toast. I mainly use harpoons on the escorts, then blast the guy with shotgun. Gave him one shot, then rammed him from the back until he went kaboom. I should do that a bit more often, huh?

I'll have to try to take out the minefield when evening comes, or can that wait? I don't need the ammo. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got a lot of scrap simply by having the camps collect it for me automatically after I destroy stuff as Im out and about.

And you'll love the explosive harpoon.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Minefields were last on my list, if I did them at all ... you only get shotgun shells that your gun can take at the moment .. so 1 mine and you're off to do other things .. If I could carry Dinky-Di with me at all times, then I would probably do more minefields .. but Chum's buggy does not get the add-ons that your magnum-opus gets and so you're a bit more vulnerable.

As you upgrade your harpoon the game puts in more armored cars (those with the numbers above them) that your harpoon is unable to affect .. and even using the thunderpoon (I hope that's the name, or I'll feel silly) can seem like a waste of ammo ... so just park your car, preferably near a rocky bluff, get out and wait for them to change to fisticuffs

the scrapulance is your best boost of funds .. just keep an eye out for them on the roads .. I got sidetracked on many outings because I had to drive one of them back to camp

giving water to the wastrels you find in the desert will put a scrap location on your map .. but you really won't know which it is, and you'll have to pay attention to even know they did that, when they mumble "I hope it serves you well" .. or some-such ..
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finally killed my first Top Dog... missed a couple dodges and almost died, but pulled through in the end. I was down to like 15% health. I realized I had to lure him toward the barrels and burn him, as many times as possible. Then go in and finish him with my jimmy bar.

I am almost ready to finish my cleanup crew which will get me extra stuff.

I lost a crapulance when I exited and ran into an enemy patrol. Crap indeed. Can't get away from the guy, of course.

Try to take down another convoy, but got really discouraged when they got reinforcements, and most of the cars are armored so the harpoons don't do jack. When I have the weak harpoons I can usually harpoon the driver. No longer. WTF indeed. Killing armored cars are PITA. Had to bail and defeat two cars on foot, one with a shotgun into fuel tank, another lured it to a stop and defeated a bunch of Kamikrazees. I will need those defense spikes, ARGH.
KDH

Post by KDH »

my experience with the car defense spikes, to keep off boarders, was meh, at best

you won't hear any .. oy, mate, me wants to jump on yer car, but I can't, crikey
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Even with spikes they jumped on mine.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, it's okay. I guess I don't need the spikes, as I either crash into something and scrape them off, or I shoot them off if I have enough shells left.

I built the salvage crew and scrap crew, so hopefully the problem with scraps would be "mostly" resolved.

Nabbed another scrapulance, almost got caught by a rival car.

Took down another convoy and nab the hood thingie. Chased the guy down, but there were too many enemies. Wore them down, but got severely damaged. Waited for repairs, took out the two other cars in the meanwhile, then went the other way around on the convoy route, and caught the guy alone. Two more cars showed up, but defeated them both. Alas, they're in the wrong territory so I don't get their scrap automatically.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think at most I drove 2 of the scrap trucks back. Just not something I wanted to fool with. Always had tons of scrap.