Mad Max PC ...open world...the new Shadows of Mordor?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Mad Max PC ...open world...the new Shadows of Mordor?

Post by jztemple2 »

Saw a 35MB update for the game, but no explanation. I found this video ThirstCutter (link is to YouTube video). This is a three week racing competition. I was interested till I saw in the video notes:
DOWNLOAD THE THIRSTCUTTER VEHICLE. Available free in the PlayStation® Store and Xbox One Store.
Then I noticed that I do have a new DLC, the Thirstcutter, so maybe I can race it anyway.

Someone posted something about how the PC doesn't have a standard controller and it can be modded, etc. Don't know what that means.

And I also note, the Mad Max Steam forum is down :wink:

Firing up the game, I see that the ThirstCutter vehicle is on my list of alternative vehicles; I just don't have it yet. Time to start looking!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Found the racing location, south end of Parch Moon district. Select Barrel Bash and ThirstCutter vehicle.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Some screen shots of the new car. First, selecting it for the Barrel Bash:

The start:

The sad end of my first race:

The happier end of my second (OK, third :roll:) race:

The car now in my alternative vehicles list:

With my new ride outside:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sorry, should have posted this earlier, it's the fine print of the contest:
Published on Sep 4, 2015

RACE. PLACE. WIN! with Rockstar Energy Drink and Mad Max.

THE THIRSTCUTTER CHALLENGE is a 3 week competition open to all Mad Max players.

STARTS SEPT. 8TH

1. DOWNLOAD THE THIRSTCUTTER VEHICLE. Available free in the PlayStation® Store and Xbox One Store.
2. RACE FOR THE FASTEST TIME. Look for the STAR ICON on the game map. Choose BARREL BASH and THIRSTCUTTER to start.
3. PLACE FOR PRIZE POSITIONS. Top 10 receive prize packs for placing on both Xbox One and PlayStation®4 platforms.
4. TOP 3 ADVANCE TO GRAND FINALS. Travel like a Rockstar to the live finals at Knotfest Music Festival and compete for the ultimate grand prize.

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open only to legal residents of the 50 U.S. and D.C., who are at least 18 years of age (or the age of majority in the jurisdiction of their residence, whichever is older) and who prior to 9/8/15 have Internet access, a valid e-mail address, and either PlayStation® Network or Xbox One™ equipment and account. Contest begins on or about 12:00:01am PT on 9/8/15 and ends 11:59:59pm PT on 9/29/15. Finalists must travel October 23, 2015 – October 26, 2015. View the official rules located under the Website terms & conditions, including complete eligibility requirements, how to enter and odds of winning. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Sponsor: Rockstar, Inc., 101 Convention Center Drive, Suite 777, Las Vegas, NV 89109-2001
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now all we need is a motorcycle named Toecutter.

Or a dune buggy named Speedy :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Question on item tracking from a stronghold.

When Im in Jeets and I see the outlines of things I can build it allow me to click on them to track on the map then again to untrack. Trouble is when I track an item I cant find its mark on the map. I have no idea what it looks like or where it is. My cursor crosshair seems to have no bearing as it can be different places to off the map when it goes tot the map. Also I thought it was a scavenge marked spot. So say I track a water part it is a scavenge marked spot wit ha water drop on it. But I went to one and found nothing. Im about to try that tactic again so maybe it will work this time. I have no idea. Wish it was a big flashing marker lol.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote:Question on item tracking from a stronghold.
You click the "Track this item" or whatever it says and the locations show up as little gear wheels around a location. You don't want to click it again because it removes the markers from the map. And you can only do this for one project at a time; if you click a new project the previous markers get removed.

Interesting article from PCGamesN, Storms are what make Mad Max worth playing
Mad Max is a game about fast cars and big explosions, the end of the world meets destruction derby, but it’s not the petrol and rubber or the gleeful violence that drives me forward, it’s the storms. These huge, monstrous walls of dirt and wind that swallow up everything around them, that’s what I go out looking for. I’m a storm chaser.
UPDATE: Also this article, Seven Reasons I Actually Love Mad Max
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had a fun little run there before bed tonight.

I cleared out the colossus statue base and all that was left was the convoy. Those give me fits but went for it anyways. As usual it was a mess...had about 7 cars on me and the truck. Right as I jerk the trucks driver out and into the sand dead I get set on fire bad. Chum is yelling jump jump but I have to move a little ways away first. Right as I jump the car exploded. I lived but I saw its hull just explode and cartwheel away. Now Im surrounded by 6 cars trying to run me over. After about 10 seconds I hear Chum yell something about fixing it and I look and its back and together and Chum is working on it...He wasn't in the hull of it a sec ago lol. So after trying to get back to the car and being ran over 4 or 5 time I give up and they all get out and fight me..8 or 9 of them lol. Was a mess...but I won.

THEN a storm blows in. I cant see..I get hit with debris going to my car a few times but then Im off chasing crates. I cant see but I spot a crate against a wall kinda up high. Its right at a little sand lip so I back up and do a nitro run hoping to jump up enough to hit and break the crate and save my ammo..VROooom ..I miss and fly through a cave opening in the wall I didn't see. Im in a small little cave with loot weeee. Storm ends, I live, and the crate that was up above the cave on the cliff wall falls into the cave with me.

Fun excursion :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found a secret of sorts. I was driving along a big wall..maybe an old docks....and found some type of drainage vent. I climbed inside and found a history item...a Mad Max desert tour thing from a company that ran them on buggies hehe..Max goes something like "Whats this?"

WAIT wait wait..I just saw a video in one of those links and theres a first person mode!?? I must look for that key.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote:I finished the storyline last night and have also completed all the wasteland missions and stronghold upgrades. You can continue playing past the end if you want to finish off the collectibles, run deathraces, etc.
Spoiler:
I was very disappointed in the conclusion to the story. Too Kobayashi Maru for my tastes.

The final showdown with Scabrous Scrotus is, for all intents and purposes, a low-difficulty QTE sequence. After all the fun and mayhem we go through to get there? WTF Avalanche!!!

Overall all, I've enjoyed the game and will continue playing for a while, chipping away at some of the collectibles and chasing some of the achievements. The ending is pretty damn anticlimactic though.
Finished this morning and found that I instantly no longer had a desire to play any of the rest of it, even for achievements... (I was 55 scrap from the last max upgrade and can't be bothered). I think all the repetition did grind on me (I cleared all the threat reduction objectives) but the missions kept me going.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote:
Max Peck wrote:I finished the storyline last night and have also completed all the wasteland missions and stronghold upgrades. You can continue playing past the end if you want to finish off the collectibles, run deathraces, etc.
Spoiler:
I was very disappointed in the conclusion to the story. Too Kobayashi Maru for my tastes.

The final showdown with Scabrous Scrotus is, for all intents and purposes, a low-difficulty QTE sequence. After all the fun and mayhem we go through to get there? WTF Avalanche!!!

Overall all, I've enjoyed the game and will continue playing for a while, chipping away at some of the collectibles and chasing some of the achievements. The ending is pretty damn anticlimactic though.
Finished this morning and found that I instantly no longer had a desire to play any of the rest of it, even for achievements... (I was 55 scrap from the last max upgrade and can't be bothered). I think all the repetition did grind on me (I cleared all the threat reduction objectives) but the missions kept me going.
I've been finishing the Steam achievements and in-game challenges (OCD is a harsh mistress). I'm blocked by a bug on both fronts, though. Three of the strongholds didn't give me credit for completing all of the stronghold improvements (the respective challenges show 5/6 completed for each) even though all of the improvements are built. Even if I am able to deal with the last few obscure challenges, I can't get the final 2 Steam cheevos with the bugged stronghold status.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I looked at my outstanding achievements and most look achievable (ha!), but...
Looked Everywhere
Loot all Scavenging Locations

Explosions Are Not Enough
Complete all optional objectives in all camps
nope.. nope nope nope
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote:I looked at my outstanding achievements and most look achievable (ha!), but...
Looked Everywhere

nope.. nope nope nope
All I've got left are The Constructionist (which I should have) and Up to the Task (which would probably never happen even without the bug).

Did I mention the OCD thing? :)

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

$32 at IndieGala store. 26 or so at Nuveem the SouthAmerican online store.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

coopasonic wrote:I looked at my outstanding achievements and most look achievable (ha!), but...
Quote:
Looked Everywhere

nope.. nope nope nope
Ha! Those are pretty much guarantees for me. When I finished an open world game, they have to change its genre to CLOSED world.

Since we're on the subject, I've noticed I've become an open world interface snob. :D I like my collectibles clearly marked, and I like to know exactly how many there are, how many I have left, etc. I want spreadsheet-levels of organization so that I can be 100% positive I've done everything. For instance, I LOVE that Mad Max colors the region differently once it's been "cleared." That kind of little detail thrills me to no end. I actually get a little excited when I see a game that "gets" that OCD-gamer mentality.

I'd argue that one of the primary reasons I'm loving Mad Max so much is the interface. Filling in those little boxes and watching percentages go up is immensely satisfying.

The other thing it does very well is give you some purpose behind seeking out those little collectibles. You've got Max upgrades, you've got stronghold upgrades, you've got car upgrades, you've got Max level-based upgrades, you've got Archangel collections, you've got all the "glossary" based stuff to collect (Locations, Enemies, etc.), you've got territories to reduce threat in - almost everything you do in the game outside of the story mission still serves a purpose in that it is going to make your life easier if you do it. As a counter-example to that, one of the few open world games I did not bother with all the collectibles was Watch Dogs, because ultimately a lot of it was just busy work.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like to fully clean a single area at a time. I have been collecting the parts to build the stronghold stuff but I HATE going into an area to get a part then leaving. It rubs me wrong. I like to do it all then move on. I also burn myself out this way.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh geez I thought I was screwed. My TAB key stopped working. I shut the game down and restarted, alt tabbed, checked settings...nada. Looked online and its a very common thing. Just any cutscene will fix it. So took out my gas can from the trunk and put it back and its fine now. PHEW.

EDIT: I marked all 3 locations for Jeet that was for gunpowder. He said to come talk to him but there was no chat and no marker on him. Not sure what to do now. I have some green marks in the garage to build an archangel or something but I dont want to change bodies so not doing any of that .What do I do next to get a new mission? Just clear areas?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote:I have some green marks in the garage to build an archangel or something but I dont want to change bodies so not doing any of that .What do I do next to get a new mission? Just clear areas?
That's basically part of the tutorial. You need to do it if you want to progress in the game. You can change bodies at any time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:I marked all 3 locations for Jeet that was for gunpowder. He said to come talk to him but there was no chat and no marker on him. Not sure what to do now. I have some green marks in the garage to build an archangel or something but I dont want to change bodies so not doing any of that .What do I do next to get a new mission? Just clear areas?
The Ashes to Ashes wasteland mission may be bugged. I didn't get an immediate resolution after I marked the niter/sulfur locations either, although eventually a dialogue marker showed up on Jeet. Also, the mission isn't displayed in my wasteland mission log for some reason. At any rate, the reward is that Gutgash's armory becomes unlocked. Check to see if the mission completes when you build it, if you haven't already done so.

You can't completely ignore the Archangels. At certain points you'll have to build a particular Archangel in order to advance the main storyline.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone do like me and almost totally forget to use their shotgun in melee fights? I have 5 ammo right now and about the only time I think to use it is on the warcrier. Even in a tougher battle like a minute ago with 2 brutes with shields I stood there fist fighting them. I died and came back and did it again. Wasn't until I won that I thought "why didn't I use my gun!? argh"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do the trunk and hood ornaments do anything? I thought I saw a PS4 video where they added different powers or stats. But in my PC version theres no info at all...just seem decoration.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote:Do the trunk and hood ornaments do anything? I thought I saw a PS4 video where they added different powers or stats. But in my PC version theres no info at all...just seem decoration.
Look at them in the garage. They give small bonuses.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Strange night. Best so far is I was driving around and just near me a convoy truck exploded. I found where it blew up and took out all the little cars. But the dang ornament is inside a rock wall. I mean its right there...Im on the icon...but Max cant get it to let him loot it inside the rock wall. :(

Scratch that....Cleared a base and after coming in here and typing that and going back it was laying in the middle of the nearby road...weird.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok I can now attack the Jaw I think but Ive decided to clean out Jeet's and GutGash's territories first.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there a sure fire way to locate minefields other than just randomly driving around in the buggy with the dog?? I only lack some minefields having zones clear.

Also Why did they make the dog just a buggy / mine chaser? In the movies he rode with Max and helped in fights. Thats what he should do here.

EDIT: Found a map site online. I still have to drive to each place to see if Ive already cleared it but it helps a lot.

I should be able to hire npcs in the game to go out and find things Im looking for and report back. I would love to be Scrotus or one of the bosses and work my way up the chain to be top dog. Have my own fortress to enhance. NPCs to send out on missions. Weapons to scrounge and upgrade. Cars to build. Have my own fighting force. Take over the wastes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sure many people would agree with me that the game could use more car bodies. What 3 new car bodies would you want?

Dodge Dart
Ford Galaxy 500
Chevy Camaro
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive made it to Pink Eye's stronghold. What is she, a diabetic, amputated, albino? And why is everyone so harsh? I save her life and she's like "Give me one reason I shouldn't put a bullet in you"....and Max says "Because I need your help"...really Max? Really?,,..not that you saved her life or anything.

Welp time to rebuild a 3rd stronghold. Max has been buffed out for a while now so wont ever see Grippa again.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Ok so I've let this bake in the OO kitchen for a couple weeks. The game looked very interesting but the reviews were average.

What is OO's verdict on this thing? Worth the purchase? PC or Console? etc.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's a very good game with some elements that get a bit repetitive that you just have to push through (clearing mine fields). The story isn't terribly deep, but it's very Mad Max, and the combat isn't particularly challenging, but the game is a lot of fun. Just remember, this is Mad Max, not Ben Hur.

As far as PC vs console I don't that there should be much difference. I played it on PC using an xbox 360 controller. It was pretty clearly designed for a controller, but the obstinate remain obstinate and apparently KB/mouse works if feeling a bit console-ish at times (I used the mouse to do some stuff a couple times early on and grimaced at how it worked).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

msduncan wrote:Ok so I've let this bake in the OO kitchen for a couple weeks. The game looked very interesting but the reviews were average.

What is OO's verdict on this thing? Worth the purchase? PC or Console? etc.
I loved it. Unexpectedly one of my top games of the year. The setting is just perfect for open world gameplay. Other open world games did some things better (why couldn't this have had Mordor's nemesis system?!) and this game is not without it's flaws, but it's super fun.

I'd buy it on whatever platform you can find it cheapest on. It runs extremely well on the PC.
Brian

Post by Brian »

This is the game that finally made me go out and get a 360 controller for my PC. (Though I was planning to get one eventually for GTA V).

Coop is spot on with his review. The only thing I would add is that it's got lots of collecting if you are into that but which you can completely ignore with little to no impact on the gameplay or story.

The pacing is a little off as you will likely find Max completely leveled long before even the halfway mark in the game while upgrading the car from V6 to V8 happens probably later in the game than I would have liked as the barrier to the upgrade isn't really accessible until well after you've leveled up just about everything else.

I did manage to collect all of the Historical Artifacts and cleared out every single loot location as well as built every Archangel car but I felt no compulsion to complete every race or jump every ramp, etc. so I missed a few achievements that I probably could have collected if I wanted to put in the time.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

coopasonic wrote:It's a very good game with some elements that get a bit repetitive that you just have to push through (clearing mine fields). The story isn't terribly deep, but it's very Mad Max, and the combat isn't particularly challenging, but the game is a lot of fun. Just remember, this is Mad Max, not Ben Hur.

As far as PC vs console I don't that there should be much difference. I played it on PC using an xbox 360 controller. It was pretty clearly designed for a controller, but the obstinate remain obstinate and apparently KB/mouse works if feeling a bit console-ish at times (I used the mouse to do some stuff a couple times early on and grimaced at how it worked).

Thanks Coop!
It's 34 bowl victories.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It gets the YK recommendation, which is really all that matters. :P
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah, thumbs up from me as well. I really can't explain why the reviews were so consistently mediocre, but IMHO it's a solid game with some repetitive elements that are mostly optional.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think this is one of those games that suffered from the way games are typically reviewed - IE under a deadline, with the reviewer having to just crush through it in a week to get the article out on time. There are a lot of repetitive elements in the game, and I imagine if I was forced to do them for hours on end it would sour me on the game as well.

However, I play for an hour to an hour and a half a night, and at that pace it's perfect. I get a few things done, get a territory here or there cleaned out, then I'm off to watch TV or do something else. The game lends itself very well to short gaming sessions.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Honestly if you do side missions in Metal Gear Solid it gets repetitive too. Nobody nicked that game on being repetitive.
It's 34 bowl victories.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I figured I'd wait for some impressions and here they're mostly good. It's tempting as the price keeps coming down but with a lot on my plate I'm wondering if I should just wait. Eventually there will be a DE/GOTY/something released with DLC, right. Is there paid DLC coming or just the pre-order stuff and whatever freebies they put out?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The Gamespot review drove me absolutely nuts. That guy just based his score on the fact that the game wasn't what he wanted it to be. He seemed really pissed that it wasn't an accurate simulation of the apocalypse and that stuff was more plentiful than he arbitrarily decided it should be.

He also complains about things in the game that aren't realistic, like respawning gas cans or being able to fit scrap in your pockets. You know, concessions that EVERY OTHER VIDEO GAME has made for the sake of fun over realism. He even managed to ding the game for having a Fast Travel option. That is completely optional.

What's sad is that many of the negatives he stated were understandable, but instead of justifying his score based on those, he focused on the completely illogical random stuff he was upset about.

[Edited] My original post came off WAY angrier than I actually was. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Eventually there will be a DE/GOTY/something released with DLC, right. Is there paid DLC coming or just the pre-order stuff and whatever freebies they put out?
No season pass, no sign of DLC coming that I am aware of. The pre-order stuff was just car bodies as far as I can tell and they are just visual fluff, no in-game value. You'd think if there was something coming we'd have heard about it by now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Game crashed in the middle of a base assault. Something about display driver stopped working and recovered. Thats on ly the 2nd game crash in MM ever so damn stable . Plus this may have not even been the game's fault this time. Im impressed in how well the game is made.