Mad Max PC ...open world...the new Shadows of Mordor?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Mad Max PC ...open world...the new Shadows of Mordor?

Post by Kasey Chang »

Spent another couple hours, got two more achievements by zero'ing out Pink Eye's territory (mineswept all four territories), as well as basically bash my way through the wasteland driving only Chum's buggy. Can't destroy armored enemies w/o thunderpoon, but I can still take wheels off with my shotgun to stop any pursuit. Got the ultimate big chief V8, and it was... grinding. As I'm not a OCD completionist, This is really the end for this game. It's been fun (74 hours playing)

I may give racing one or two more tries, but that's about it.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

In case this is useful for someone, Steam has the goty edition for 6 dollars right now. I have no idea how much it was going for during the summer sale, but 6 bucks is a crazy price for a great game.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wrong thread, and wrong price. :D

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition -80% $19.99 $4.00
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Wrong thread, and wrong price. :D

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition -80% $19.99 $4.00
6 canuckbucks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stupid national boundaries making things difficult.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am going after historical stuff and maybe the outposts. But the outposts are just too big to find the missing stuff. ARGH.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There was one site I never could find the item. I would be right on the map mark and nothing. it was 3 levels and I looked everywhere..except where it apparently was lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

There is one artifact in Pinkeye's fortress that does Not "outline". It's a photo album or something on the ground, on the 2nd(? I think...) floor. In one of the bunk room looking rooms. You basically have to be standing on top of it for it to register for pickup. Look up a video if you can't find it.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've got almost 90% of all historical stuff. Now it's just matter of plowing through all the scavenging points with the stuff.

EDIT: Got all except 1 historical, can't find the last one. WTF? I checked every salvage location on the map and there are no more historicals left, yet the collectibles show one left in the text/signs section.

There are three cars left to collect. Just nabbed the heavy cruiser (pickup truck) so that leaves a flamer and 2 buzzard vehicles. I know there's a race for the flamer, but it's very difficult. Buzzard I can probably just go out to the Dunes at night, if I want it that bad.

Got the achievement of killing something with every archangel. Given that you can rebuild cars on the fly this is actually quite easy.

Collectible says I am missing a character?!

Achievement completion is 80% so far, once I got everything built in all four strongholds.

Yeah, I think this is REALLY it this time. ;)
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Nordisk Film acquires Avalanche Studios

Developer of:
Mad Max
Just Cause
The Hunter: Classic (Online)
The Hunter: Call of the Wild

Just Cause developer retains creative freedom, gains stability in €89 million acquisition

Nordisk Film is upping its investment in Nordic game developers. Today, the company announced it will acquire all shares and full ownership of Just Cause and Mad Max developer Avalanche Studios--Nordisk's largest acquisition thus far.

Nordisk will obtain all shares and full ownership of Avalanche, its three studios (including its new studio opened just last week in Malmö, Sweden) and over 320 developers in the €89 million ($103 million) acquisition. Avalanche is currently valued at €117 million ($136 million). Nordisk had been a minority shareholder in Avalanche since last year, when it paid more than $10 million for a stake in the company.

"This was simply the right offer, at the right time, from the right company," said Avalanche CEO, Pim Holfve, speaking via email to GamesIndustry.biz. "We have worked closely with Nordisk Film as a minority owner for the past year, which has been a great experience. As good as we are at developing explosive open-world games, they have a 111-year history of working with companies within the creative industries, and bring with them a wealth of knowledge and experience.

"Nordisk Film are also fully committed to our road map, and feel that Avalanche Studios are headed in the right direction, so they don't want to mess with that. Being able to maintain our creative independence, while at the same time being acquired by stable, long-term owners is the best possible scenario, and I couldn't be happier to have them onboard."
Along with maintaining that creative freedom, Avalanche will avoid any kind of staff or management shake-up; Nordisk's Managing Director Mikkel Weider joining the Avalanche board is the only personnel change. Agreements with outside publishers that are already existing will continue as well (such as Avalanche's partnership with Bethesda to develop Rage 2), with the door left open for both new publisher partnerships large and small.

Self-published games aren't going anywhere, either, especially with the addition of the Malmö studio to focus on "small and flexible projects." Holfve said that the company will accelerate its self-publishing, with games such as Avalanche's theHunter fitting in well with Nordic's ideas for games as services.

"We have been running theHunter Classic as a service for almost a decade, and that's also how we think about our upcoming self-published games as well," Holfve said. "theHunter: Call of the Wild has been supported with new DLC (paid and free), game updates, community events and more since launch. That's a great blueprint for how we think about our self-published games as active, dynamic services for our fans."

The acquisition is expected to be finalized by the end of June.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Mad Max is $4 on Steam this weekend and I just happen to be playing it, so thought I would say a quick word. The thread for this game is pretty long, so OOers are likely well acquainted with what I'm going to say. But in case anyone missed it, like me, I wanted to put it on the radar.

The game is really solid and definitely scratches a particular itch. Makes me reflect on the 80s game, Autoduel by Origin, which was a favorite at the time. While no particular aspect of Mad Max is particularly great, somehow the combination of elements really works.

If the game was all driving it just wouldn't work. The driving is entertaining and tricking out your car is definitely fun. My wife walked into the computer room one day and commented, "sounds like someone got a new engine." She pays no attention to anything I play, so it was a surprising comment. Taking out a convoy is definitely the highlight of the driving aspect of the game, which rewards a new hood ornament. Really fun. The small car skirmishes started fun but were not as entertaining later into the game. I'll caveat my opinion with the fact that I'm from Detroit and, while not a true gearhead, the whole "car thing" is definitely in my bloodstream.

If it was all fighting it wouldn't work. The fighting is fun and, as many have said, has the feel of the Batman games but with more depth. That being said, even with more depth I was rarely in danger of dying. I haven't quite finished the game, but I am yet to die in hand-to-hand. I'm not one of these gamers that breezes through Dark Souls. I'm pretty mediocre. Still, the fighting is fun and taking out a base is entertaining.

And just when I'm getting sick of the fighting I'm back to the driving. Which is the real strength of Mad Max, it's a good mix. The graphics are still pretty damn good for a 2015 game and, as has been commented on many times, the explosions are tremendous to see. Sounds is just great, though I do occasionally lose a sound channel (the only real bug I experienced).

The game was reviewed as being pretty mediocre by critics, though gamers seem to love it. If you missed it somehow when it was released, like me, I can say it is likely worth $4.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I loved this game. I played it around the time we went to see Fury Road. Had a lot of fun with the entire game. Convoys became tough or repetitive to me so I left a few until I was pretty much done. The melee fighting was pretty easy. When Id be in a car battle with 3 or 4 and was having some trouble Id simply get out of the car and dodge them until they would stop and pile out to get me then wipe the floor with them the easy way hahaha.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Heh, for four bucks, fine, I'll bite. Don't really enjoy "open world assassins creed" type games much any more, but can't pass up a chance to drive around in a beat-up jalopy causing car crashes.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I've been meaning to give this another shot. I looked at it a while back and was like...this looks neat and then lost the thread. If I split time between Alyx/Zelda/and this then I get enough variety to keep me sane. :)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Heh, closest I'll get to Alyx is watching it on youtube.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

This game. This is one of the few games I've beaten. It's one of the fewer games I wished hadn't ended and it made me sad.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:25 pm This game. This is one of the few games I've beaten. It's one of the fewer games I wished hadn't ended and it made me sad.
It's very much up my alley (open world, cars, arkham style combat), but I think I was ready for it to end when it did. For $4 total no brainer.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I loved it but was ready for it to end a 1/2 area ago plus the real ending. And ya I know its Max the lone drow guy but I wanted to have some kind of ending with the girl.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

That it blends into Fury Road with story and style is really cool. Also, I failed to mention Chumbucket. Some people hate him, but he's really just perfect. Favorite Chumbucket moment, no real spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'm getting in the left hand side of the car and he admonished me for "testing his faith". Hilarious.
A couple posters have it dead right, I'm about ready for it to be over (I looked at a guide and it is). Still, I will not regret my time with it. And I paid $20 a week or so ago.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I liked Chum a good while then hated him at the end then felt sorry for the doof. Pretty good wit ha harpoon though :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In case someone is thinking of picking this up, it is on sale at Green Man Gaming for 84% off, or $3.20 USD.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

At three bucks, it's a no-brainer. Just keep in mind that it's basically a Mad Max-themed Shadows of Mordor/Assassin's Creed.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:20 pmI wanted to have some kind of ending with the girl.
IIRC...
Spoiler:
Don't know if there are multiple endings, but my ending had "the girl" - however it was clear she hadn't survived before that, which gave me a distinct impression that Max was having an intense hallucination, wishing for the world to be a better place... which is why I was sad to see it end. I didn't want to think about him just hurting so bad that he lived in a fantasy world where none of his loss was real.

... but that lines up with all the movies, where Max spends a lot of time trying to hold onto the happiness he once had as it slips through his fingers and turns into blood.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.