[PC] World of Warships

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Mr Bismarck

Re: [PC] World of Warships

Post by Mr Bismarck »

Isgrimnur wrote:I recently got the Langley. I've had decent success in using the fighters to bounce other fighter and torpedo groups, but I have a whopping two torpedo hits. Even a cruiser can dodge them if they're paying attention.

Looking at my totals, I've played 5 missions in the Langley. I have 50 kills, with one mission being 19. I'm earning about as much experience with it as the Kawachi, which suuuuucks. A BB with <9km gun range? At least my 10k torpedo range on the Minekaze makes up for it.
You need to land torpedo hits to get anything out of the Langley, which means you need to learn to manual drop your torps. The Spread and distance on the auto-attack is too much and too easily avoided by anyone paying attention. I've only got 14 average planes shot down to your 10, but I sink one ship on average and so my average experience is 1,000 to your 480.

In other news, the upcoming patch will take away the Minekzae's 10km torps, leaving just the super-fast 7km option.
Imagine if I hadn't been drunk.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mr Bismarck wrote:You need to land torpedo hits to get anything out of the Langley, which means you need to learn to manual drop your torps.
I wasn't aware that was a thing. Guess I need to go watch a video or two.
Mr Bismarck wrote:In other news, the upcoming patch will take away the Minekzae's 10km torps, leaving just the super-fast 7km option.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Mr Bismarck wrote:You need to land torpedo hits to get anything out of the Langley, which means you need to learn to manual drop your torps.
I wasn't aware that was a thing. Guess I need to go watch a video or two.
It's a life changer.

If you click on an enemy ship then your planes will fly in a drop torps in a fan shape from a fair distance. If you hold down the ALT key, then the fan becomes a block and you can position it wherever you want. It's less forgiving, because if you misjudge then you can end up missing with everything, but it also means you're dropping torps much tighter and can drop from much closer, maker it very hard for an enemy to avoiding wearing one or two of the fish.

Here's an image of manual drop block overlayed on the auto drop fan... it's a huge difference.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nice. Thanks for the info.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The Mighty Jingles presents: The Tirpitz
What's the matter, Tommy... are ze Germans coming? Actually yes, they are and they're in dirty great Battleships! I think we're going to need bigger guns...
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For fucks sake my carrier is killing me. Ill be using my planes....I always use my planes. The only time I highlight and want to move my carrier is when an enemy gets close. But I swear EVERY battles it will get a autopilot move order out of the blue. Im not clicking it..Im ALWAYS using my airplanes. Ill look and it will have a move line from it to random spots on the map...nowhere near where Im clicking my planes to go. I have to go stop it all the time. Sometimes it heads off into the enemies. Such a bad annoying bug.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

The new patch is out! Aside from ruining Isgrimnur's Minekaze thug life, the game works to balance carriers now, (unless you've ticked over the max wait time for a game), introduces ranked mode and implements all sorts of new balancing around fires, penetrations and arming time for air dropped torpedoes, (now 3 seconds for IJN TB).

Patch notes are here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I played my last matches in the Minekaze last night, finally pushing over the XP neded to get the Mutsuki, which will suck until I scrape together the 15k+ needed to get the torpedoes that exceed my detectability range.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

The "Much Sucky" does indeed live up to her name. The DD that come after are good, thankfully, but by then you're going to be going up against BB and CA drivers who aren't fools and the sky is practically bathed in spotting aircraft.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, being spotted by aircraft is the bane of my DD existence. I then proceed to get lit up by the five BBs and CAs in whose firing range I happen to be.

At least with the Mutsuki, I can get 10k torpedoes again.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I was right..I am good with carriers and planes. I love them. I also average 120,000 or so creds per battle. Much better than any other ship I tried. So its CV and CA for me..screw BB and DD.

Is there any way to rotate the in the sky view with the carriers? I like to align my view instead of having it skewed in these overhead views. But I cant find a way.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I may not always get torp hits, but when I do, it's after I'm dead and I make them count.

Enlarge Image
DD*

Post by DD* »

Been playing this quite a bit - I'm Bill Lumbergh on WG games. Bought the Tirp, it is a beast. Nice to have a BB that doesnt spread shells from all over the damn map!

I think they missed the mark on the commander mechanic - should have duplicated, to some extent, the crew skills mechanic from WoT. Imagine you had a gunnery officer, navigator, XO, damage control, etc. and you could skill them up. Right now, if you don't have consumables, there is practically nothign you can do about fires, or really any good way to improve the base functions of your ship. If you had crew skills and perks that came along through experience, it would help that immensely.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You can't ask for a better day in a Clemson.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Nice. What are your medals?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Double Strike, Devastating Strike, First Blood
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And I was the only one left when they won on points. Capped A all by myself.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

I've been playing this a bunch recently. Enjoying myself quite a bit that I bought some doubloons to keep some ships around (St. Louis). I've unlocked most of Tier IV except for carriers on the American side (BB Wyoming, CA Phoenix, DD Clemson) and Tier IV DD on IJN (Isokaze).

I think the grind on the Phoenix may kill me though, any tips? I leveled the DDs on both sides during the waiting between battles of the Phoenix because I will almost always die first. I would think as a CA she would need to be upfront clearing the sea of enemy DD and CA but even though she has long range guns and has fast speed she also has tin foil armor and a large citadel. Which would mean a snipe and run ship but I don't think I have the patience to sit and wait for the enemy to come to me. Her weak armor also means that her torps and sonar upgrade are useless. I thought my specialty was going to be a cruiser captain until I came upon the Phoenix.

Also is there a way to manually target a ship when firing torpedoes? Like it automatically selects a target and gives me a projected track to launch my spread but I want to see the track of ship B and not ship A. It is not the ctrl + left click to target secondary batteries/AA guns.

This is my first "World of" game, are there still people playing the other two (Tanks/Warplanes)? Are they as fun? I've heard that the player base for Tanks is now too "Vet" so that noobs will have a hard time.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I've been using X to change my target.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

^Thanks! I'll try that out the next time I'm in game. I've also stumbled upon switching from torps -> guns -> torps also sorta works but 'x' sounds a lot faster.

They are now "allowing" people to test the tier V German cruiser and a tier VI Russian destroyer by sinking 4 ships in one battle in a tier IV or above IJN/USA ship. I think my best was two and then it happened...

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

I might need to put the Isokaze in the keeper pile. :wub:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Isokaze is a nice ship. I'm having crap luck lately with her successor.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Earned a Konigsberg to play with for a few days by sinking 4 in my Isokaze. First battle in the Konigsberg I got torn up. The armor is pretty thin I think.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

TazFTW wrote:^Thanks! I'll try that out the next time I'm in game. I've also stumbled upon switching from torps -> guns -> torps also sorta works but 'x' sounds a lot faster.

They are now "allowing" people to test the tier V German cruiser and a tier VI Russian destroyer by sinking 4 ships in one battle in a tier IV or above IJN/USA ship. I think my best was two and then it happened...

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

I might need to put the Isokaze in the keeper pile. :wub:
What do you think of the Konigsberg?
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

Alefroth wrote:What do you think of the Konigsberg?
She's my first Tier 5, so I can't compare across the tier. Her pros are definitely her high rate of fire and the compact spread of her guns, so when you're on target you'll hit with a high % of your shells. Turning is sluggish and she seems to be made entirely of engine and rudder because I keep getting hit there.

I'd expect a good game with her would give you high double digit hit totals with some citadels. I think I'll put her in the fun ship to grind category.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

^Like so :D
Enlarge Image

Full disclosure, two of those kills were carriers.

Enlarge Image
^Sometimes Neptune smiles upon me. I now get to try out the Tier 6 Russian DD.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pulled a hat trick in my Furutaka. Netted a destroyer, followed by a cruiser and a battleship in quick succession, then got a carrier right before I was finished off.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well seems Im sick of tanks and ships both. Carriers were my favorite thing to play in Ships but now they just piss me off . The view system for them and the controls suck. I tried to fix my controls but made them worse. Now I cant go to the carrier by hitting 1. I cant seem to bind it either. And the view has always sucked but now Im mad at it. Why cant it have the same view system as the other ships just allow me to use planes with that view it uses. I cant for the life of me steer my damn ship when I cant go to sea lvl and use it like a normal ship. And with planes Im CONSTANTLY in control of the wrong damn group. Why in hell wont it simply state torpedo group 1 or fighter group 1...instead I get simply group 1 or group 2. So Im telling my bombers to attack planes, my fighters to return to base and when I want to use a squadron and tell it to go somewhere my damn carrier turns and starts steaming that way. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I quit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Entropy attacks battleship USS Texas

Seems she is leaking and the leaks are leaking. She is listing to starboard and leaning on a pair of large pilings. Its all thats keeping her up and they cant afford to repair her.

Enlarge Image
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
mori

Post by mori »

I have been playing this a bunch lately. It is more than who can deal the most DPS. It is more methodical and you have time to change the game plan. When I die, it is easy to figure out how I screwed up. I am gravitating to the cruiser. I like to hang back with the BBs and hunt and kill DDs. Have not really settled on a single nation so I have not gotten far up the tech tree.

I was going to try the German BBs out but I mistakenly sold my Tier III cruiser :doh: .
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been playing a lot lately too too but only using one ship over and over...the Giulio Cesare. Not sure how or when I got it but its a fun ship.

Enlarge Image
mori

Post by mori »

In lieu of doing the German BB line I went down the IJN BB line. The tier III BB base Kawachi has to be the most worthless piece of floating hardware out there in random battles.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Last time I played regularly, it was all bots. Maybe 2-3 human players per round - is it better now?
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
mori

Post by mori »

Random battles are human team vs human team with near identical tier ships. Then there is Co-op which is human team vs bots for less xp.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Wow, HE shells from cruisers are still hilariously overpowered. That was one of the main reasons I quit playing and it certainly is no better now. Might even be worse. Might look into that whole balance thing, WG, but I'm pretty sure WoWS is just abandonware for them at this point.
Last edited by DD* on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Is the balance as bad as it got in World of Tanks? I quit that because it was impossible to be competitive when you were taking your hard-earned Tier IV tank into matches with people running Tier XXXVIII tanks they'd purchased for cash.

Ping! Ping! Ping! *KABOOM!*
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
mori

Post by mori »

As far as balance is concerned at the tiers I play at, III-V, you only play with others within one tier of you, it all comes down to how good your DD drivers are compared to the other team. The team with the better DD players will win every time. The other classes have little impact on the outcome. Maybe it has always been that way at every level.

And there was a new patch a couple weeks ago. I think it was mainly fixing frame rate issues.