Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

MonkeyFinger

Re: Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Chaz wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 pm Is it possible for time capsules to contain creatures? Because the other day I opened one and a nasty thing popped out. I don't know how it fit.
Saw a link on Steam to this RPS article about the time capsules and thought of you. :wink:
-mf
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yeah, I found the fish one mentioned in the article too. I also ate all of them before reading the note.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
mori

Post by mori »

I am having a blast exploring and getting deeper in the story since I last played it in alpha. Started a build of a major base and all was going well until I decided to try and park my Cyclops close. Seems I can not handle a 40 m sub all that well. Ended up flooding out half my base. But Subnautica does not punish stupidity that much and I just had to repair the structures flooded and not replace everything inside them.
Spoiler:
Exploring an area close by and some foreboding music starts playing and the PDA states that this area contains 7 of 9 terrifying elements to humans. That did not help. I got the hell out of there.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

mori wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 pm I am having a blast exploring and getting deeper in the story since I last played it in alpha. Started a build of a major base and all was going well until I decided to try and park my Cyclops close. Seems I can not handle a 40 m sub all that well. Ended up flooding out half my base. But Subnautica does not punish stupidity that much and I just had to repair the structures flooded and not replace everything inside them.
Spoiler:
Exploring an area close by and some foreboding music starts playing and the PDA states that this area contains 7 of 9 terrifying elements to humans. That did not help. I got the hell out of there.
Yeah, it's taking me awhile to explore those parts. I go a bit further each time with some nice healthy breaks of doing mundane stuff around the base.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A small tip about all those deep zones: You can go pretty much anywhere down there with your cyclops. In fact, you're kind of expected to. I absolutely loved navigating it with the external cameras through some of those spots.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Montag

Post by Montag »

Really close call. A large ghostly thing got me and my seamoth was down to 1% at one point.

Close to having to go below the depth a seamoth can do.
words
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm starting to think I might not make it. My shopping list is really long for the stuff I want to build, and since I can't remember where I found elements, I do a lot of wandering aimlessly. I suppose I'd need to start building scanner rooms all over and the "put scanner info in my HUD" chip, but I'd still need to keep them all powered and also go back to the scanner room to switch what I'm scanning for, right?

I suppose the other option would be to take a bunch of beacons with me and set one up whenever I find a stash of an element, but that also seems clunky. Just feels like I'm at a point of the game where it feels more like work than anything else.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A simple bioreactor can keep a standalone scanner powered. If you plant a lantern tree next to the reactor, you'll never need to go searching for fuel, either.

The trick is to figure out which areas are rich in certain resources, set up a scanner room there, then spend a little while scavenging the heck out of that resource until you have enough to last you a long, long time. A PRAWN suit is a big help in this regard, as you can mine the large deposits.

And if looking for resources is sucking the fun out, check the wiki. It isn't worth it if you're not having fun.

And if you'd like, post your shopping list and I can give you blatant tips on where to look.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

One general tip about resources:
Don't sweat too much building up huge stockpiles of everything. It's handy to have resources on hand, but the deeper you go, in general, the more abundant the resources.

To put it much more spoilery:
Spoiler:
Once you get to the Lost River, it has huge amounts of mineral deposits both above and below the riverline. Makes a perfect place for a deep base once you get used to the creatures hanging around.
Last edited by Sepiche on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:30 am A PRAWN suit is a big help in this regard, as you can mine the large deposits.
Well, I could if I could find the second drill arm fragment. :D

I think I need to go into my next few sessions expecting that I won't be doing anything except gathering. Then I need to go through my list of blueprints, figure out the stuff I need, figure out what I need to make those, and then figure out what basic materials I need to make all that. Then I need to actually plan out what I need for an extended gathering trip, actually put all that in my cyclops, and then just go around the world picking up stuff, marking resource locations with beacons, and listen to podcasts or something.

My main problem is that I'd know I want this thing, go out to get some of the stuff, realize I also needed some other thing that I thought I had a bunch of, figure out I didn't actually have it in the base, realize I couldn't remember where that cave full of it was, wander for a while looking, realize I'd forgotten to bring food, water, and batteries, go back, etc.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I pack three Beacons in my Minisub inventory each time I leave home (along with ration bars, water, and a couple Fusion Batteries). My map is now littered with beacons that help me figure out where I've gone and what I've found at a glance. These have been invaluable with finding my way home if I get twisted around in some underground cavern.

My new "deepest dive" is approx. 775m with my Seamoth. At that depth...
Spoiler:
My Seamoth seems to be in more danger than I am. I'm going to invest in the Hull Armor upgrade. Even if I park it somewhere that seems safe, I come back to find it at 40% health and a crab-spider or ghost leviathan juvenile is laughing nearby.
Where I'm at technologically...
Spoiler:
  • I found a Stasis Rifle with an Ion Battery in it in a Time Capsule. Awesome find there.
  • I've got the Cyclops, but it feels really naked in deep water, and I need to put together some mods for it and build a few decoys before I feel comfortable taking it out.
  • I'm scouting for Nickle or Sulfur, heading deep for that.
  • I only just found the Coffee Maker last night, as well as the Cyclops shield mod.
  • I've got the Drill Arm and Propulsion Arm, but no Grappling or Torpedo arms yet.
  • I'm sporting a nice reinforced dive suit with a ultra-high capacity tank, re-breather, and ultra-glide fins. Dive time seems like a near-moot concern.
  • I need to spend more time searching the deeper "surface" areas to ensure I've gotten all the key techs. I'm still missing a desalinization plant and the grappling arm for the PRAWN.
  • I've scanned a Ghost Leviathan Juvenile, which was a little hair-raising. Actually, all the leviathan-class monsters are.

I'm sure my character has had diarrhea for the last 2 weeks as all he eats are Melons (+12 food, +14 water) to re-hydrate.

I do have a tank full of breeding Reginalds and Bladderfish, but I use those products while I'm out in the field. I'd rather have a couple desalinization plants running to produce water and salt, and then use the salt to cure the fish for storage.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:30 am
The trick is to figure out which areas are rich in certain resources, set up a scanner room there, then spend a little while scavenging the heck out of that resource until you have enough to last you a long, long time. A PRAWN suit is a big help in this regard, as you can mine the large deposits.
Sepiche wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 am One general tip about resources:
Don't sweat too much building up huge stockpiles of everything. It's handy to have resources on hand, but the deeper you go, in general, the more abundant the resources.
To bring these contradictory tips together, let me clarify: Hoard resources after you have the PRAWN with a drill arm. Two resource nodes can fill a couple of lockers. Don't worry about it when you're swimming around breaking rocks.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I think I am one step ahead of Paingod. Friday evening I found the
Spoiler:
Lost River
and scouted the area with my Seamoth and quickly realized I needed my Prawn for several reasons. On Saturday I loaded up my Cyclops, which has basically been parked next to my base with less than 100 meters on the odometer for at least a week, and set out for the
Spoiler:
Lost River
again. My first and second attempts were both bust, having firmly lodged my Cyclops in a crevice, rather than trying to wiggle out I just reloaded from save. I hate piloting the Cyclops, it handles like an oil tanker, I would not even build it if there was another way to move the Prawn around, one more Prawn upgrade and I may not even need it any longer. Anyway I did a bit more exploring and found a better entry point before making a third attempt. I managed to establish a small base and mine a good amount of resources including the one I was missing to advance my tech. I now need to hit the
Spoiler:
Lave Zone
but I want the
Spoiler:
grappling arm
first and cannot find the 2nd fragment. I spent multiple hours on Sunday searching and so far no luck. I am trying very hard not to look stuff up but if I cannot find it in the next day or so I will most likely have to use the wiki.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just to simplify matters, I think it is fair to say that things like:

Lost River
Inactive Lava Zone
Cyclops
Crabsquid
Kyanite

These are things that exist, but without any context other than the name, aren't really spoilers.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Tao wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:19 pm I think I am one step ahead of Paingod. Friday evening I found the
Spoiler:
Lost River
and scouted the area with my Seamoth and quickly realized I needed my Prawn for several reasons. On Saturday I loaded up my Cyclops, which has basically been parked next to my base with less than 100 meters on the odometer for at least a week, and set out for the
Spoiler:
Lost River
again. My first and second attempts were both bust, having firmly lodged my Cyclops in a crevice, rather than trying to wiggle out I just reloaded from save. I hate piloting the Cyclops, it handles like an oil tanker, I would not even build it if there was another way to move the Prawn around, one more Prawn upgrade and I may not even need it any longer. Anyway I did a bit more exploring and found a better entry point before making a third attempt. I managed to establish a small base and mine a good amount of resources including the one I was missing to advance my tech. I now need to hit the
Spoiler:
Lave Zone
but I want the
Spoiler:
grappling arm
first and cannot find the 2nd fragment. I spent multiple hours on Sunday searching and so far no luck. I am trying very hard not to look stuff up but if I cannot find it in the next day or so I will most likely have to use the wiki.
I'm about the same spot as the first section of your post. I too hate piloting the Cyclops so instead of trying to navigate it to the
Spoiler:
Lost River
I did a multistage operation where I created a second
Spoiler:
prawn suit
then dropped it
Spoiler:
straight down 700M into the Lost River, where I had previously established a base with 2 moonpools. One to dock my Seamoth and the other for my prawn suit. I'm near my depth limit for both though so I think I will need to find some way to get the Cyclops down here sooner than later.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Archinerd, the biome you are currently in has all the mats necessary to craft the
Spoiler:
MK I Depth Upgrade for your Prawn (1300m)
. Same for your Cyclops.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've found one of the two 'advanced' ingredients I need to put together some of the higher-end mods.

Last night I finally figured out how to use the Scanner room. Each time I tried to build it, it was refusing to connect to anything below it or on the side. I actually had to Google it and found that the Scanner room simply has a limited number of connection points. Once I found a clear spot on the right side of my base, the Scanner Room built perfectly. I wish I had managed to make this much, much earlier.

I now have an abundance of Stalker Teeth and other resources that I previously wandered and hunted to find. This changes my goals in the deep parts of the world too - I need to build a couple of these rooms and explore in an intentional manner with them.
Spoiler:
I do finally have (I think) all the arms for my PRAWN and took it for a spin down to around 500m in a Blood Kelp zone. It was a struggle to get back up to my base at 100m depth, having to climb a lot of sheer surfaces with the Grapple and Jump Jets. This is where the Cyclops becomes an essential, I suppose.
I did discover, too, that a lot of the big nasties...
Spoiler:
...really don't like the defense mod for the minisub. It makes Reapers let go of you instantly,
and sends Crab Spiders running. It only seems to annoy smaller predators, and just really pisses off the fanged eels in the Jellyshroom caverns - two of them were relentless in attacking me until I stopped trying to repel them and ran away at 10% sub health.
I found two more
Spoiler:
time capsules... one with a full compliment of Minisub mods (recharge, energy efficiency, depth MkIII, and Sonar) and another with a set of Ion batteries - large and small. I can't even make these things yet, and I've got 2 big and 2 small now.
The immersion in this game is still top-notch. I really like interacting with the environment, and even simple things like checking my inventory or reading data entries is well done. Sometimes I enjoy just sitting in my vehicle, down deep, and taking a break from exploring to peruse the hundreds of log, data, and object entries in my collection.
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:25 am I found two more time capsules... one with a full compliment of Minisub mods (recharge, energy efficiency, depth MkIII, and Sonar) and another with a set of Ion batteries - large and small. I can't even make these things yet, and I've got 2 big and 2 small now.
Did the one with the batteries have either a picture of a guy with a hat, or some commentary about 'farewell' and 'Reapers can stuff it?'

With the PRAWN suit, the jet upgrade is fantastic. Even without it, using the grapple arm is a skill that you build up over time. Ever play Just Cause? One technique with the grapple is to basically play Just Cause with it and the jump jets. Once you get it down, you can move across the ocean floor as fast or faster than any other vehicle in the game. Just grapple a point ahead of you, wait until it pulls you a little bit, then let go. Keep tapping the jump jets enough to keep yourself from touching the ground for as long as possible.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03 pmDid the one with the batteries have either a picture of a guy with a hat, or some commentary about 'farewell' and 'Reapers can stuff it?
I'll have to check.
Spoiler:
I discovered last night that the log includes the time capsule messages and images.

I've been playing with the Grapple movement and trying to adjust to it. I'm less concerned with lateral movement as I am with scaling sheer walls that I might fall down. I never played Just Cause, but am familiar with the theme.
I'm in absolutely no hurry to finish the game. :D
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I tried a few times to get used to the grapple arm, but it never really clicked with me. It's range was so short it felt pretty useless as a means to move myself around, and once you get the upgraded jump jets it seemed even more lackluster, not to mention it takes up a valuable arm slot on the prawn.

I'm sure it would have clicked with a little more practice, but I never really saw the value in it.
Last edited by Sepiche on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:47 pm I tried a few times to get used to the grapple arm, but it never really clicked with me. It's range was so short it felt pretty useless as a means to move myself around, and once you get the upgraded jump jets it seemed even more lackluster, not to mention it takes up a valuable arm slot on the prawn.
I'm frustrated by the range as well. I'm forever falling 10m short of my target. I suppose that if I had another 10m of length, I'd complain that I was still 10m short of my target... :P

I don't yet have those
Spoiler:
upgraded jump jets... sooo... Sometimes I find myself dangling from a wall while I wait for them to recharge.

As for taking up an arm slot, I'm content to adopt the "stick an arm in my pocket" theme and keep myself outfitted with the Grapple and Hand when I'm travelling and hop out to stick on the Drill as needed. I'm not sure what use I'd have for the Propulsion arm as I never use the propulsion cannon unless I need to clear a path, and torpedoes are still "expensive" for me to use and I'd rather run.
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Things I never used on my playthrough:
Spoiler:
Torpedoes. They just seemed like too much of a hassle.

Cyclops Shield Generator. This would have been useful that one time my Cyclops was destroyed by a Ghost Leviathan. On the plus side, I got to see what happens when a Cyclops is destroyed.

Grav Trap. Still not sure what this does, since I never tried it.

Stasis Rifle. This is probably useful, but I didn't want another tool taking up valuable inventory space.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm Things I never used on my playthrough:
Spoiler:

Cyclops Shield Generator. This would have been useful that one time my Cyclops was destroyed by a Ghost Leviathan. On the plus side, I got to see what happens when a Cyclops is destroyed.

Stasis Rifle. This is probably useful, but I didn't want another tool taking up valuable inventory space.
I'd agree on all of those, though...
Spoiler:
I've been waiting on having a shield generator before I move my Cyclops out of shallow water.

I've used the Grav Trap in previous games and was amused. It's basically a sticky sphere that lets you pluck off any fish that get caught by it. Useful early on if you hate chasing fish for food, pointless later on when you're generating food and water easily.

I used the Stasis Rifle in an earlier game as well and found it helpful in "freezing"
predators for a while so I could either escape or hack at them with my knife.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just bought this game last night on a whim. After putting a stupid amount of time into ARK, this is a really fresh experience. I'm only about 2 hours in but I already have a base with lots of storage and a vehicle deployment thing... but no vehicle building capability yet. I'll go back and review stuff, what page does release start on?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 pmwhat page does release start on?
Halfway through page 5.

Folks were really careful not to spoil too much back then. Now we're all talking about everything but without details on where to find it.
Black Lives Matter

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 pm I'm not sure what use I'd have for the Propulsion arm as I never use the propulsion cannon unless I need to clear a path, and torpedoes are still "expensive" for me to use and I'd rather run.
FWIW I found the torpedo arm pretty weak relative to the cost. Sure the vortex torpedoes can do a pretty good job of locking something down temporarily, but the limited number of torpedoes, the difficulty aiming at a moving target, and the cost of restocking were enough to really keep me from using it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 pm
Sepiche wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:47 pm I tried a few times to get used to the grapple arm, but it never really clicked with me. It's range was so short it felt pretty useless as a means to move myself around, and once you get the upgraded jump jets it seemed even more lackluster, not to mention it takes up a valuable arm slot on the prawn.
I'm frustrated by the range as well. I'm forever falling 10m short of my target. I suppose that if I had another 10m of length, I'd complain that I was still 10m short of my target... :P

I don't yet have those upgraded jump jets... sooo... Sometimes I find myself dangling from a wall while I wait for them to recharge.

As for taking up an arm slot, I'm content to adopt the "stick an arm in my pocket" theme and keep myself outfitted with the Grapple and Hand when I'm travelling and hop out to stick on the Drill as needed. I'm not sure what use I'd have for the Propulsion arm as I never use the propulsion cannon unless I need to clear a path, and torpedoes are still "expensive" for me to use and I'd rather run.
I thought the idea was to Jump Jet to apex, graple the side of the cliff while the jump jet recharges -- release graple as you fire off the jump jet up the cliff face some more ?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:29 pm
Halfway through page 5.
Thanks, the answer to my only real question appears to be "keep exploring" which appears to be the answer to every question about the game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm Things I never used on my playthrough:
Spoiler:

I agree with most of those, except that I used creature decoys pretty regularly. I also made good use of the cyclops shield for two things. One was big stuff chewing on the hull. The other was...
Spoiler:
...energy leeches in the lava zones. On quick burst of the shields (turn on, turn right back off) knocks every one of the suckers off the hull.
Re the grav trap:
Spoiler:
It pulls every small thing nearby toward it and holds it there. Need a bunch of small fish? Go where they're at, grav trap. Need to make some enameled glass? Find a place with a few stalkers, drop some debris. Come back in a few minutes,
grav trap. Now you have a huge pile of stalker teeth all pulled into one spot.

I've also heard of the stalker trick being used to farm the teeth in alien containment by putting in a bunch of stalker eggs, some debris, and coming by periodically to vacuum them all up with a grav trap. Never tried it, though.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 pm
Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:29 pm
Halfway through page 5.
Thanks, the answer to my only real question appears to be "keep exploring" which appears to be the answer to every question about the game.
That and "build everything you can at least once" as well as "check the radio messages"
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:42 pm
Spoiler:
I've also heard of the stalker trick being used to farm the teeth in alien containment by putting in a bunch of stalker eggs, some debris, and coming by periodically to vacuum them all up with a grav trap. Never tried it, though.
This does not work, sadly. I thought I'd be smart and do this, but you can only put live organics in there.
Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:08 pm
Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 pm

I don't yet have those upgraded jump jets... sooo... Sometimes I find myself dangling from a wall while I wait for them to recharge.

I thought the idea was to Jump Jet to apex, graple the side of the cliff while the jump jet recharges -- release graple as you fire off the jump jet up the cliff face some more ?
That's how I use mine. I will also shoot at the ground as I am falling back down to the ground. When I latch on I let it drag me for a bit and let go so it hurls me forward.

Scanner room trick. Item you are looking for not showing up on the list? Drop one of the items just outside your base (you can immediately pick it up all that matters is that you "saw" it). It will now show up on the list of items you can scan for
naednek

Post by naednek »

wtf there's grapple arm? Or are we talking about a different game in a Subnautica game. I've been staying away from anything in the spoiler tags, but reading the thread. Wasn't expecting this turn of direction in this game. Wish I got to experience it playing it rather than finding about it in a forum.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:51 pmThese are things that exist, but without any context other than the name, aren't really spoilers.
We may have gotten too soft on naming items that could be spoilers. I did not intend to spoil anyone's fun by talking about items found in the open. :(

Having played the game for like 2 years in Early Access, I forget that it's actually a new release with new things for other people.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

naednek wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:42 pm wtf there's grapple arm? Or are we talking about a different game in a Subnautica game. I've been staying away from anything in the spoiler tags, but reading the thread. Wasn't expecting this turn of direction in this game. Wish I got to experience it playing it rather than finding about it in a forum.
It's a game largely about exploring and figuring things out. The forums are a dangerous place for a game like this. I've looked at very little and have had some great surprises in the game in just a couple hours of play. Get away from this thread full of veteran players. It's like a mine field for new players who want to remain unspoiled.

In fact maybe a thread title edit would be appropriate [Spoilers Ahoy!]. I know most have been careful about using spoiler tags, but it's very subjective and better safe than sorry. I am pretty tolerant of spoilers, but given the delightful surprises I have found so far I am checking out of this thread to preserve that mystery.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

To that end, I've gone back and spoiler-ed some item talk to preserve it for others, and will continue to post more carefully.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There comes a point when discussing a thing with zero spoilers either becomes impossible, or every post exists entirely within spoiler tags. Having a series of lengthy posts where every noun is in tags is impractical and unreadable. It's also unnecessary.
Spoiler:
It
Spoiler:
doesn't
Spoiler:
work.
There is no reason to spoiler names of things that don't give stuff away. Saying that Vader is Luke's father is a spoiler. Saying that there is a character named "Lando" is not. Saying that a certain creature is non-hostile is a spoiler. Saying that a thing called the 'grand reef' exists is not. Without context it gives nothing, and if you're looking for absolute zero exposure to the game, you shouldn't be in a thread discussing it. The trailers and screenshots you see on the Steam page when deciding whether to buy or not give away vastly more things than every single non-tagged post in this entire thread combined.

Whether you're talking games, movies, TV shows, books, or anything else, spoiler tags are for limiting exposure to significant spoilers. Zero-exposure is nearly impossible unless you embargo all media and discussions, and is such an extreme step that such responsibility is on the reader. To get mad at a poster for, say, a picture of a common fish and a blank wall in a game that takes place underwater and in bases, or for naming something with no context is absurd.
mori

Post by mori »

I may have a tip for new players. Stalker teeth becomes a resource you need when you start building intermediate level items. When I started building my starter base in the Safe Shallows, I got all stabby on the Stalkers that were around my base and they all fled. That led them all to congregate in one area at a depth of 10-15 meters with a couple of pieces of wreckage. The sea floor is covered in Stalker teeth in that area. I might get bit once or twice but I swim away with 8-10 teeth. I had a locker filled with Stalker teeth.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've finally hit a point where I seem less worried about resources.
Spoiler:
I took the plunge and rode my PRAWN down the Lost River. I'm at something like 1000m depth and have discovered a number of ore nodes that I can drill out. Lithium, Copper, Titanium, Gold, Solver, Nickle. Abundance, and all in close proximity to each other. The Copper, in particular, has been annoying to find, and I'm glad for the nodes.

As a result, I've constructed my third "big" base down there. The first is at 100m, the second is at 700m. The trove of resources at 1000m is pretty awesome, and completely inaccessible without a drill-arm PRAWN. I'll keep that 700m base as a waystation for my Seamoth to ferry resources back and forth to or from the surface.

Now all I need to do is get my Cyclops down here, past the Ghost Leviathan Juvenile guarding the antechamber. My 700m base is perched on a cliff overlooking that room and has a spectacular view of it swimming around.

Exploration stopped short after finding a huge, beautiful tree surrounded by majestic glowing mantas. The next step down seems to be a sheer drop down another 150m. I'd rather ride down and not struggle back up.

It also looks like there's a battered Precursor facility down here that's begging to be poked at. I still haven't opened the door the Ghost Leviathan is guarding, though, so...
As far as the "story"
Spoiler:
I'm too focused on exploring. I'm still at the point of being directed to visit the Aurora Meeting Point and/or going to the Captain's cabin. I've done neither because I don't want to be forced to do something afterwards.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:50 am

As far as the "story"
Spoiler:
I'm too focused on exploring. I'm still at the point of being directed to visit the Aurora Meeting Point and/or going to the Captain's cabin. I've done neither because I don't want to be forced to do something afterwards.
Spoiler:
You aren't forced. Ever. You just open up new opportunities. FWIW, from what you've said, you have been advancing the story without knowing it. That's an entirely viable way to play, as the story that's given to you isn't so much scripted linear as it is pointers to where to look next.