Infinifactory, from the folks who brought you SpaceChem

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Infinifactory, from the folks who brought you SpaceChem

Post by jztemple2 »

And a GIF of the Terrestrial Drone puzzle:

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

Neat! Two GIFs of my max input speed Terrestrial Drone solution

Twitter: joerumz
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Is it just me or is this game exponentially harder than SpaceChem? I'm still stuck on the friggin tutorial levels!
There is no hug button. Sad!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

killbot737 wrote:Is it just me or is this game exponentially harder than SpaceChem? I'm still stuck on the friggin tutorial levels!
Well, I never got all the way through SpaceChem, but I did finish Infinifactory. However, I think it's the 3D presentation that makes it easier for me.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote:
killbot737 wrote:Is it just me or is this game exponentially harder than SpaceChem? I'm still stuck on the friggin tutorial levels!
Well, I never got all the way through SpaceChem, but I did finish Infinifactory. However, I think it's the 3D presentation that makes it easier for me.
There is some switch in your head that still needs to be flipped. There's nothing particularly challenging in the tutorials. I'd guess the hardest thing is timing. I have to imagine you are missing something.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

OK it was an ID10T error. It had been so long since I played I forgot how to add blocks to the quickslot bar.

I was on one of the levels staring at only a conveyor to build with and thinking "This is impossible! No wonder all those other workers are dead!"
There is no hug button. Sad!
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

Hot off the presses: there was a big update JUST pushed live. Patch notes aren't even up yet, but it looks like there's not just more levels, but a whole second campaign!

See you guys in a few days...
Twitter: joerumz
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Link to update information page.
New Campaign: The Heist
The aliens took your freedom. Now it's time to take their stuff!

The Heist is a brand new mini-campaign for Infinifactory, which includes seven new puzzles with new mechanics, environments, and story.

We've also added a few requested features and made a bunch of changes to the game based on your feedback. To learn more about INFINIUPDATE #1, keep reading!

New to Infinifactory? Find out more about the game here!

NEW MECHANIC: Teleportation
Teleporters are a new puzzle mechanic that enable you to instantly move blocks over a great distance. The only catch? You have to do it one block at a time!

Any block that enters the teleporter is separated from any welded blocks and immediately moved to the other end of the teleporter. Unlike using the eviscerator, this lets you completely disassemble a product and put it back together without losing any blocks.

NEW BLOCK TYPE: Upside-down Conveyor
If you hate building pushers to take blocks off the top of lifters, you'll love the upside-down conveyor! It's just like a normal conveyor, but... upside-down.

Just don't let it run away from you...

YOU ASKED FOR IT: Area Select Tool
When we asked you what you wanted to see in future updates, practically everyone said they wanted the ability to move large groups of blocks at once.

The new area select tool is available at the start of the game and allows you to quickly select a group of blocks and move or delete them with a single click.

How did we not add this sooner?!

The area select tool is available in the block menu and can be added to the hotbar.

YOU ASKED FOR IT: On-Screen Captions
Infinifactory - now with more reading!

If we learned one thing from SpaceChem, it's that everyone loves reading lots and lots of in-game text.

Hah! Just kidding. We did, however, add voice-over captions to Infinifactory, in response to many requests from players. They're not on by default, but you can turn them on or off in the options menu at any time.
FULL PATCH NOTES

Not everything we added in this update was cool enough to warrant a screenshot. Here's a list of everything in this update!
NEW CONTENT

A new mini-campaign, The Heist, has been added to the game. It adds seven puzzles to the game and introduces a new mechanic, teleportation, and a new block type, the upside-down conveyor.

NEW FEATURES

A simple area selection tool has been added, which allows you to quickly select a group of blocks and move or delete it with a single click. It is available in the block menu and can be added to the hotbar.
Voice-over captions are now available, and can be turned on in the options menu.
You can now crouch by holding the jetpack descend key when on the ground. Now you can see the underside of blocks you could previously only imagine!
You can now rate user-created puzzles in the score window that shows immediately after solving them.
You can now scroll through custom and user-created puzzles.
Your save file is now automatically backed up, in case a power outage, computer crash, or 12 year-old hacker corrupts your save file.
An option to disable anti-aliasing has been added to the options menu. It is still on by default.
A volume slider to turn down the ambient background sounds has been added to the options menu. There were so many requests for this!

BALANCE FIXES

A handful of puzzles from the second, third, and fifth planets have been tweaked to be easier to solve. As a result, you may have to re-solve some of them.
Platform blocks can no longer be eviscerated. Our deepest condolences go out to the scuzz block enthusiast community.

BUG FIXES

Changes to input rate are now included as undo/redo events.
A bug that caused animated GIFs to record as solid gray images on OS X has been fixed.
Many bugs involving the block simulation and audio have been fixed.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The folks who made Infinifactory have again released new content for the game, as well as some fixes:
The Infiniupdate #2 patch has been released. More information is available here [zachtronics.com].
NEW CONTENT

A new mini-campaign, Production Zone 1, is now available. It adds seven puzzles using the new "extruded inputs" mechanic, and introduces a new block type, the laser.
A new sandbox, Test Zone X, is now available. With inputs that spawn every type of factory block, you can now build factories that build factories that build factories that build factories...

NEW FEATURES

Added an initial set of Steam achievements.
Added more block types to the custom puzzle editor, including teleporters.
Enabled "linear building" for most factory blocks, as opposed to just conveyors, platforms, and conduits.
Added the ability to rotate while "linear building" by pressing the block rotation keys.

BUG FIXES

Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the loading screen to fail to render.
Fixed a strange lighting bug affecting the eviscerator's model.
Revised a cinematic sequence in the main campaign with new animations.
Fixed a bug that sometimes caused visual glitches with pushers in recorded GIFs.
Fixing a memory leak that sometimes occurred when switching between levels.
Fixing a bug where resetting a sandbox experiment did not reset the input ratios.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Infinifactory has left Early Access and is now available for 10% off till July 7th.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’ve been playing through this recently and I am highly amused just how different my thought process is than most people. I’ve now had two people (efficiency builders) look at my machines and not be able to figure out how they work. I adhere to the idea of assemble the whole thing in one go instead of the assembly line approach. :lol:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm terrible at visualizing so I do a lot of trial and error. Also I'll get caught up in a concept and keep hammering away at it, no matter how... awkward the result:

Note: this GIF is from an early level, but I put it in spoiler tags just in case
Spoiler:
It may look elegant, but it's very sensitive to timing and took a lot of block length tuning. Still, it works, which is the ultimate test!
Last edited by jztemple2 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I was playing that old level above from Infinifactory because one of the updates had changed the way the rotator block worked so the old solution I had was invalidated. I'm now working on the Resistance Campaign content, which came in Update #1, featuring The Heist campaign. It introduced transporters among other things, making for some interesting mid-puzzle solutions. Here's my solution to Transporter Experiment 2, shown in two GIFs, and in spoiler tags for those folks who are still planning on getting the game (and you ought to get it! :D )
Spoiler:
Very proud of this, I managed to figure out an elegant way to use all the blocks in the 3x3 given material as it is fed into the transporter:

The blocks come out of the transporter one by one, so I have to assemble them in rows of three, then weld the three rows together:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And now for Teleporter Experiment 4. You have to teleport a 3x3 object composed of two different types of colored blocks and then reassemble it after it goes through the teleporter. My solution:
Spoiler:
First to feed the source object to the teleporter so that all the blocks get sent. That makes the math at the other end easier.

When the blocks arrive at the other end I line up nine of them, push them all at once through three sets of welders, then turn each of the three sets and push them together so they can be welded.

As you can see I use a lot more blocks than most folks, but part of that is most likely because I do that "all nine at once" method. Smarter folks than me probably get away with only two sets of welders or maybe even one! By the way, that last bar graph category wasn't in the original Early Access, it was requested by the players as a way to measure "efficiency". It doesn't count the platform blocks, those are the plain grey cubes.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, last one for tonight. This is the Terrestrial Surveyor puzzle. You have to transport a surveyor, which has a sensor tower and two sets of treads, and reassemble it on the other side. My solution as usual isn't elegant or clean, but it works!
Spoiler:
First, we send the surveyor through the transporter

Then all nine blocks composing the surveyor end up on nine platform blocks. As the ninth one arrives, they are all pushed either to the right or left.

The center body is stacked and welded in three operations; using a couple of lifters.

The two track sections are welded, lifted with lifters then conveyed to either side of the surveyor body, where they drop in place.

In the final part, the three sections are welded together and sent along to the reception area.

My final score. Nowhere near the best, but it works!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Well, it's not as fancy as yours, or as late in the game, but I was just happy to finally have a solution to this one.
Spoiler:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just one tonight, but it's a doozy. The second to last mission in the Heist, Anti-Javelin Satellite. One of my most complicated solutions, and really not elegant, but very interesting.

Note: Broken into three spoiler tag areas because together they will kill Imgur :wink:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited by jztemple2 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Meat product is awesome. Apparently I have one of the most efficient machines on that one!

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here it is folks, the finale of Mission: The Heist... The Big Blowout. As you will see, my solution was not pretty, but it works!

I'll be putting the rest of this in Spoiler Tags, so it won't spoil it for folks who want to give it a go. As I've said previously, Infinifactory isn't (to me) a puzzle game, it's a problem solving game. There are numerous ways to reach the goal. Sort of a factory Deus Ex. And I'll be breaking it up over several posts, since the GIFs are rather large and I don't want to bog down anyone's browser with one huge post.
Spoiler:
This is what we are trying to build:

It's a big hard to see in the image, but basically it consists of three layers, the top and bottom of which are the same. There are three different types of blocks which I call Body, Corner and Middle. You'll see it better in the GIFs.

And here are the source factory units, each unit produces one of the three types.
And why am I posting about this? Because I spent hours coming up with a solution and my wife really, really doesn't care to hear about it. So this is for all of you. Sit back and enjoy the show :pop:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So, what's the big deal about The Big Blowout?
Spoiler:
Basically the big deal is this. The object you are trying to build consists of 22 blocks. Now in previous puzzles there have been challenges with a lot of blocks, but this one is special because the blocks are having to be transported from the source location, through the teleporter, to the assembly area. And the blocks can only be transported one at a time. And, once they arrive in the assembly area, they have to assembled to construct ten objects sequentially, so the feed of the blocks, 220 in all, have to come in ten groups of 22 and the groups have to be identical. Not as easy as it sounds, certainly not for me. It took tweaking of conveyer lines and timing of pushers to achieve this:

Below is the test rig I built on the assembly floor to assure that the stream of incoming blocks was repeatable, every 22 blocks the same pattern.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

On to the assembly area, where the "magic" begins...
Spoiler:
Now I did try to alter the incoming order of the blocks to make them easier to assemble, but that didn't work so I just said I'll take the order in which they come to me, thanks. Here's the receiving end of the teleporter. They are being raised to near the ceiling and over to the back wall.

Once at the back wall the incoming blocks continue on a conveyer around the corner. I did this to free up the maximum amount of room. Turns out I really didn't need it, but whatever... :wink:

And here is the start of the sorting process. Twenty-two blocks are lined up in front of twenty-two pushers. When the last block joins the line, all of them are pushed simultaneously. Would make an awesome ride at a Six Flags somewhere...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Now that the blocks are sorted, it's time to do the assembly...
Spoiler:
First the bottom layer of eight body blocks and one middle block.

Next the four corner blocks are routed in the air over several paths to assure that they drop down onto the bottom layer not only in the right position, but the right sequence:

As the blocks drop down they are welded in place, and the last corner arrival also energizes the blocker to retract and allow the combined first and second layers to proceed.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Almost complete, just ready for the final layer:
Spoiler:
The top layer is just like the bottom one, so I'll spare inconveniencing a few electrons by not showing how the layer is built up, only how the top layer is added to the other two and then the whole thing is pushed along to the target area:

And here's what the whole thing looks like in action, as well as I can position the camera:
So, that's the whole thing. Here's my final rating:
So obviously there are a lot of better solutions, or at least more efficient ones. And maybe someday when I have nothing else to do I'll re-address my design. Someday... :shock:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

So I ran into an Easter egg tonight. If you take too long on a puzzle a little drone fly’s in to spy on you and see what is taking so long.

I was hovering in the middle of the map when I saw something black at the edge of my screen. I assumed I had miss-clicked and built something out of place, so turned towards it so I could delete it. As soon as I did, the thing flew right up into my face. I legitimately jumped in my chair. A more effective jump scare than anything in Amnesia!

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lordnine wrote:So I ran into an Easter egg tonight. If you take too long on a puzzle a little drone fly’s in to spy on you and see what is taking so long.

I was hovering in the middle of the map when I saw something black at the edge of my screen. I assumed I had miss-clicked and built something out of place, so turned towards it so I could delete it. As soon as I did, the thing flew right up into my face. I legitimately jumped in my chair. A more effective jump scare than anything in Amnesia!

Enlarge Image
That's awesome, I'll have to be on the look-out for it.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Question about Terrestrial Surveyor from The Heist. I see the way you did it but is there a way to attach the 2 tall topper to the middle of the 3x3 base? I built my solution around that, it lines up perfectly, but I can’t for the life of me figure out a way to weld the top to the bottom.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lordnine wrote:Question about Terrestrial Surveyor from The Heist. I see the way you did it but is there a way to attach the 2 tall topper to the middle of the 3x3 base? I built my solution around that, it lines up perfectly, but I can’t for the life of me figure out a way to weld the top to the bottom.
I don't think this is possible. I just build a little test rig in the Test Zone X area but I couldn't get the two welders to be able to weld.

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yeah I eventually gave up and redid the puzzle from scratch. Thanks though!

Currently on Big Blowout. So far it’s a mess.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Well, it takes 1000 cycles but I finally have a solar array that works!
Spoiler:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lordnine wrote:Well, it takes 1000 cycles but I finally have a solar array that works!
Spoiler:
That's pretty awesome. I haven't gotten there yet but I'm old and I'll probably forget your solution by the time I get to it :wink:
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

jztemple2 wrote:
Lordnine wrote:Well, it takes 1000 cycles but I finally have a solar array that works!
Spoiler:
That's pretty awesome. I haven't gotten there yet but I'm old and I'll probably forget your solution by the time I get to it :wink:
Lordnine challenged me to top him, so I gave it my best. It's not as cool looking, but it's a good bit faster!
Spoiler:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Stopped playing for awhile because I just couldn't force myself to face the challenge that is Resistance Campaign/Production Zone 1/Anti-Javelin Battery. After going down the rabbit hole that would have had me trying to make an illegal weld, I finally solved it:

click to enlarge

GIFs of the overall assembly line, shot from two different directions to capture the essence of the 735 cycle solution :D
Spoiler:

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Nice, I took one look at what that one was asking me to build and decided that would be my skipped level. I’ve actually made it to the final set of levels now. They get crazy hard.