Elite: Dangerous

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rip

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Rip »

Well the Asp is certainly different to pilot.

Love the view though. I think I will need to keep doing rare runs until I can fit it out properly for exploring. Not to mention I need to figure out how to explore........

I think I will grind rares until I can afford the advanced scanners. With any luck they will do much of the work for me.

The one thing that annoys me with the rare runs is the traffic at some of the stations. Derps holding things up so I sit in the queue forever or pilot it myself through the door then enable the docking computer. It is kinda fun watching them bang into shit for a bit before the station blows them to bits. It seems like the debris holds up docking though, thus requiring me to pilot in through the doors.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Isgrimnur wrote:Horizons is a season of content, essentially an expansion. It adds, I believe, the ability to freewheel around planets. You're supposed to get a "loyalty bonus" discount if you own the original. It's also still in beta.

Just follow this handy flowchart: /s

Enlarge Image
Is it worth spending 60 bucks to get Horizons? I mean I can get the regular game for 15 bucks on sale right now.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

msduncan wrote:Is it worth spending 60 bucks to get Horizons? I mean I can get the regular game for 15 bucks on sale right now.
I'd recommend getting your fill of the base game before jumping on Horizons. I'm a big fan of the base game, but it just feels like they got overly greedy on the Horizons pricing. There's just too much good stuff available to play right now at much lower prices. I am excited to try the Horizons content, but I can hold out for an inevitable price drop.
Rip

Post by Rip »

wonderpug wrote:
msduncan wrote:Is it worth spending 60 bucks to get Horizons? I mean I can get the regular game for 15 bucks on sale right now.
I'd recommend getting your fill of the base game before jumping on Horizons. I'm a big fan of the base game, but it just feels like they got overly greedy on the Horizons pricing. There's just too much good stuff available to play right now at much lower prices. I am excited to try the Horizons content, but I can hold out for an inevitable price drop.
That has been my take so far. I figure I can build up some credits and learn the ropes good while I wait on Horizons to get cheaper.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

And something you said Rip perked me up. You can grind for rare drops in this game? What 'drops' are we talking about?
It's 34 bowl victories.

Rip

Post by Rip »

msduncan wrote:And something you said Rip perked me up. You can grind for rare drops in this game? What 'drops' are we talking about?
Not drops. There are some stations that have "rare" goods. Unlike regular commodities they become more valuable the farther you take them. SO I have a circuit of five of those on each end of a nearly 200ly transit.

In my Cobra with 32T of cargo I was making about 1M per round trip. The Asp has more than double the space but I haven't got the cash to get the best engine and frame drive yet so it could be slower at first. But once I do it should be a cash machine until I can afford to trick it out for exploring which is what I really want to do next.

I still haven't done any mining yet either or any fighting beyond defending myself. That will need to wait until I get another HOTAS.

So much depth to the game I don't expect it to be hard to wait for Horizons to get cheaper and probably still have tons of stuff I haven't figured out yet.

BTW, I noticed when I get close to planets now some HUD info popped up I hadn't seen before and of course there is a planetary module on the ship loadouts I hadn't noticed before. Starting to wonder if I can buzz down close to the planets now even if I don't have horizons?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Oh the systems are

Side 1;

Lave
Diso
Orrere
Leesti

Side 2;

Witchhaul
Fujin
39 Tauri
George Pantazis
Zeessee
Altair
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Elite Rare Trader -- a handy tool for plotting trading runs.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rip

Post by Rip »

Max Peck wrote:Elite Rare Trader -- a handy tool for plotting trading runs.
Tiolce Waste 2 Paste
Sounds refreshing.....

:D
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Still haven't pulled the trigger on this one. The steam "mixed" reviews are holding me back. I usually only go after games that are positive or above....
It's 34 bowl victories.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

msduncan wrote:Still haven't pulled the trigger on this one. The steam "mixed" reviews are holding me back. I usually only go after games that are positive or above....
Seems like most of the negative reviews knocking the game for "lack of content" are dinging it because of something it was never intended to be. This isn't a "content" oriented game. There aren't scenarios, storylines, quests, etc. It's all about giving you a huge sandbox and letting you make your own fun, which it does in spectacular fashion.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I really need to get my second session in either tonight or Saturday.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Skinypupy wrote:
msduncan wrote:Still haven't pulled the trigger on this one. The steam "mixed" reviews are holding me back. I usually only go after games that are positive or above....
Seems like most of the negative reviews knocking the game for "lack of content" are dinging it because of something it was never intended to be. This isn't a "content" oriented game. There aren't scenarios, storylines, quests, etc. It's all about giving you a huge sandbox and letting you make your own fun, which it does in spectacular fashion.
I think most people are upset that rather than keep building on this game you need to shell out for another game
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

IceBear wrote:I think most people are upset that rather than keep building on this game you need to shell out for another game
That's an odd mischaracterization of Horizons.

First, it's not a new game at all, but an expansion to Elite: Dangerous. Horizons just makes parts of the galaxy (some planet surfaces) available for players and adds some new features like crafting and multi-crew ships. People who don't buy Horizons will still be able to play, will still get many of the updates Horizons players will get, and will still play in the same galaxy as Horizons players. The only difference is they won't have access to those select features.
Rip

Post by Rip »

IceBear wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
I think most people are upset that rather than keep building on this game you need to shell out for another game
I see it more like an add-on that is packaged in a "gold edition" for those who don't already have the base game.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Rip wrote:
IceBear wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
I see it more like an add-on that is packaged in a "gold edition" for those who don't already have the base game.
As someone who has the original paying @$60 to get this content is annoying. If I would get a decent discount it might not be so bad
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I find it weird to hear anyone giving orders to Shatner in a spaceship. :D

That said, I like what I've heard of this. It's obviously him, but doesn't have all the stereotypical Shatnerian over-acting.

I also really like the Brian Blessed voice pack.
Conform or be cast out!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really love the voices for this game. I was a backer and have the boxed version but Ive not touched it. Never played it. Im sorta worried Ill dislike it or be so bad at it. I really should try it sometime. All I have is a joystick though.

A Nichelle Nichols one would rock.

Heres a behind the scenes video of Shatner's pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK0sE1-YSkw
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Daehawk wrote:I really love the voices for this game. I was a backer and have the boxed version but Ive not touched it. Never played it. Im sorta worried Ill dislike it or be so bad at it. I really should try it sometime. All I have is a joystick though.

A Nichelle Nichols one would rock.

Heres a behind the scenes video of Shatner's pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK0sE1-YSkw
I have been playing this game almost constantly since it was released, although I was not a backer.

I played the original Elite (C=64 version) back in 1985, so this game really scratches an itch for me. If you're worried about being "bad" at it, you can play in Solo mode so that only the NPCs have to witness it. :wink:

After they announced the Shatner pack, I suggested a George Takei version.

I don't actually own Voice Attack (which is required to use the packs) because I generally get to game at night once the kids go to bed and talking to my computer might not be the best idea. :D
Conform or be cast out!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

2.01.02 patch notes -- Among other things, it looks like they are tuning the difficulty wrt to those hotshot AI pilots. ;)
Stability Fixes
- Prevent crash on encountering a replicated cash-for-cargo trader
- Fix server crash on non-turn platforms
- Fix for VR crash entering a location
- Guard against player recreation when transferring location for exploration databases

General Tweaks & Fixes
- Fixed commander name on Xbox when receiving an inbox message for a newly granted system permit
- Fix rank up notification inbox messages being incorrectly hidden
- Fix ammo being incorrectly removed from modules that have had their ammo capacity increased by an Engineer
- When resurrecting at a station controlled by a hostile faction, automatically adjust the reputation up to disliked to avoid unnecessary peril
- Added latest batch of translations
- Various text fixes

NPCs
- Fix NPCs ending up with overpowered hybrid weapons
- Stop NPCs deciding to attack if they only attack opposing powers and the player and AI powers are aligned to the same superpower
- Slight rebalance of the ambient AI rank chances, should see slightly less of the top end and more of the low/mid range
- Smooth out the mission-spawned USS AI levels so that high ranks are rarer and only elite missions hit the top end ai (though deadly can get close)

Engineers
- Un-filter blueprints when entering the blueprints selection panel

Missions
- Correct Microresource contract panel is now being used in any panel at a mission's hand in stage(s). This should now indicate why a mission cannot be handed in if the player's microresource inventory is full
- Using a Discovery Scanner in Planetary Rescue or Salvage missions should now give an inbox message
- Microresouce Contract Elements now included on relevant panels
- Fix target spawn times and allow new destination delivery missions to work
- Fix landable planet issue with dynamic scan rescue

Powerplay
- Fix incorrect thresholds displayed for Fortify and Undermine actions
- Fix being unable to deliver Powerplay commodities in a handful of starsystems, including Sol
- Fix Zachary Hudson's actions when being opposed by other Federal powers
- Fix supporters of Independent powers being unable to earn merits from conflict zones
- Fix a bug in the Powerplay turn processor so it once again gives the correct result for preparations

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Looking forward to dive back into this with the Rift when I receive my GTX 1080 within the next two weeks. :)
Insert witty comment here.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Elite Dangerous Arena is Completely Free This Weekend
Greetings Commanders,

Elite Dangerous Arena will be completely free on Steam and the Frontier Store this weekend. If you purchase a copy of Arena between now and 6PM BST on Monday July 11 you won’t be charged a thing, and you’ll retain access to the game even after the deal ends.

This 100%-off deal will bring a whole new host of Commanders to the CQC Arena, so make sure you jump in now to show them the ropes and take advantage of the unique benefits that reaching prestige rank in Arena can bring to your main game account.

When you reach CQC Rank 50 you’ll be given the option to 'Prestige'. You will set your rank back to one and lose all your unlocks, but in return you’ll be able to earn more credits for use in the main game, and get a permit to the Attilius Orbital starport in CD-4311917 where you’ll get exclusive discounts on many modules and ships. You can prestige up to level 9 and at that point you’ll be receiving the maximum amount of credits you can take in to the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

With Arena being completely free until 6PM BST on Monday July 11, now’s the perfect time to recruit new wingmates to join you in the CQC Arena.

GLHF

---

Disclaimer: Arena is the PVP mode already in Elite Dangerous so all players who own Elite Dangerous or Elite Dangerous: Horizons will already have access to it. Simply select Arena from the in-game main menu to play.
So I guess part of the pitch here is to provide fresh meat for existing players. :)

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Coming soon to a more serious space sim than some have been enjoying (or not) recently.
The big news: single-seat, ship-launched fighters based on the CQC fighter designs. The idea is that players will be able to launch one of these fighters and pilot it remotely, issuing commands back to the mothership. You could tell the mothership to stay put, for instance, to keep it out of harm's way, or tell it to follow the fighter and go in all guns blazing. You can hot swap between the two ships too, opening up some particularly devious attack patterns.

There are three fighters available. The F63 Condor federal fighter and GU97 imperial fighter are identical their CQC counterparts, the former sporting the fastest acceleration in exchange for manoeuvrability and hull strength, the latter being more fragile but more manoeuvrable. More exciting is the Taipan fighter, which is new to the game. The most tank-like of the three ships, the Taipan trades speed and manoeuvrability for hull strength and shields, making it a particularly good option for heavy combat. Plus, it has a neat swing-wing design that makes it look far more intimidating than the other fighters.
You might notice another new addition at starports in the 2.2 update: passenger lounges. At long last, Elite is letting you live the dream of running an interstellar ferry service (that's everyone's dream, right?). Once you've loaded up your ship with the requisite cabin modules—ranging in quality from Ryanair-like thrift, to five star luxury—you can pick up passengers and start making some money.

There are two different types of passenger in Elite: bulk and VIP. Bulk passengers are the most straightforward, and largely just need to be ferried from A to B with the minimum of fuss. In you're in a war-torn region you might pick up a group of refugees eager to escape, or mercenaries eager to make a quick buck. Other times you might just pick up tourists looking to explore a nearby planet.

VIPs are more demanding. They may be on the receiving end of a bounty, making your ship a target if you choose to carry them. Or they may be thrill seekers eager to explore a nearby conflict zone in exchange for more cash. Notably, VIPs will require the highest quality cabins, and those can only be fitted to specific passenger ships: the Orca and the all-new Beluga luxury liner. This marks a change from most Elite ships where you can outfit them any way you like.
Other additions to Elite Dangerous version 2.2 include updated visuals, with some of the CQC architecture being brought over to the main game to create new structures. They're themed around certain traits of the system, so you may find civilian ones, or scientific ones, with ambient traffic floating around. Inner docks and ports have had an overhaul too, ranging from vast industrial complexes through to stark white tourists resorts with holographic lakes and vegetation. Interface screens have been more neatly laid out too.

You can now use ship transfers, so if you leave a ship in another system you no longer have to fly all the way back to get it, and instead can pay a fee based on size and distance in order to have it delivered directly to you. Plus, module storage is finally being introduced, and those too can be transferred around space. You can even do things like strip modules from a ship in bulk.

At starports is a new "shady" contact that will allow you to pay off fines and claim bounties for any jurisdiction in the game. This means you don't have to go all the way back to the system where the fine or the bounty was issued in order to settle it. Hyperspace jumps now include an indicator highlighting the security and conflict status of a system, meaning you can now avoid such areas, and hopefully avoid a few of those fines and bounties in the first place.

Other tweaks include: an improved surface map; filters for the route planner that allow you to only view stars of a certain type, or of a certain security rating; and new planet geometry generated using first principles. Plus, there are more "mysterious sites." Frontier says it's not going to detail where these sites are, but are promising that they can be found using in-game mechanics and will reveal more of the lore surrounding the game.

Frontier also dropped a teaser video, showing what looked like some alien technology buried in a pile of rock. I'm no expert on the deep lore of Elite (where's Lee when you need him?), but Frontier says that it's a "small step in a long trajectory of events that players have speculating about for a long time."
Alien tech... Thargoids?
I'm not saying it's Thargoids, but —
Also, Frontier has uploaded a tonne of new videos, presumably due to GamesCom.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The latest Elite patch dropped today (Elite Dangerous 1.7/Elite Dangerous Horizons 2.2), with the full Horizons download weighing in at 13GB.

Here is the tl;dr for the patch notes.
NEW CONTENT 2.2

Fighters

- Added F-63 Condor as a playable ship
- Added Imperial Fighter as a playable ship
- Added Taipan as a playable ship
- Added Beluga Liner as a playable ship
- Added fighter specific weapon modules
- Added fighter loadouts
- Added Fighter Bays for supported ships: Corvette, Cutter, Anaconda, Type 9, Beluga, Federal Gunship and Keelback
- Added Crew Lounge
- NPC fighter pilots can be hired
- Hired pilots receive a revenue percentage
- Fighters can be given orders
- Mothership can be given simple orders when player is in a fighter
- NPC ships can use ship launched fighters
- Role panel updated to support fighter operations
- Display NPC Fighter Pilot name when targeting the ship they are controlling
- Added a warning/reminder to set active NPC crew
- Fighter and vehicle bays are now numbers this is to help match the bay to the vessel when using livery
- Increased boost speed of all fighters
- Rebalanced default speed for some fighters to make them inline with their original design (the Empire Fighter was too fast compared to the others)
- Increased DPS of fighter weapons by 12.5%
- Increased fighter production capability of the size 7 hanger module
- Fixed fuel gauge disappearing when switching back to mothership
- Missing avatar faces on the orders panel fixed
- NPC crew do not have appropriate backgrounds when in your ship or in the fighter fixed
- Added warnings why can't a player deploy a fighter
- Move "Orders" to the top of the menu when interacting with AI fighters/main ship
- Fighter descriptions hooked up
- Able to issue orders using both fighters in the role panel even though only one is deployed fixed
- After hiring, crew sometimes displays negative numbers fixed
- Balance displayed in the Crew Lounge is incorrect fixed
- AI Crew don't appear to be gaining any xp from combat in fighters fixed
- Fixed logic error for allowing non horizons crew in to the crew lounge to fire crew they might have hired when they had horizons
- Added default numpad keys for the new order bindings to each control scheme
- Added in better descriptions for the fighter specific stats
- Re-launching fighters resets ammo and pip setup fixed
- Fixed radar not showing hostiles/allies correctly when switching vessel in a conflict zone
- Helm 'Details' tab should go to ship description
- Audio: Velocity of the ship launched fighter is now set to the same as long as the fighter stow interface is not active
- Audio: Fixed "self" explosions to be triggered to ship launched fighters
- Fixed headlights on the fighters
- Dust layer on Independent Fighter is green, fixed it to dark grey
- Fighters can no longer use boost while they are still attached to the launch ramp
- Fixed Imperial Fighter hitspheres so weapons can be damaged
- Fed Fighter 100% damage paint issue fixed
- Fighters can no longer kill ships inside starports without being shot by the station when mothership is far away
- Fighters will no longer retract their hardpoints when the AI is asked to dock them, stopping the error where a player asked the AI to dock then swaps to the fighter and has no hard points
- Balance displayed in the Crew Lounge is incorrect and does not update on purchasing a pilot fixed
- NPC experience always shows as 50% when they're in the main ship fixed
- Removed the life support, self destruct and reboot options from the fighter
- Fighters destroyed by the mothership jumping away shouldn't count as player kills
- Fixed rendering bug causing text to overlap buttons on the role panel orders
- Fixed issue with right panel in crew lounge not showing data after loading
- The little fighter HUD no longer overlaps the target panel. It now has its own home near your ship's schematic
- Healing lasers now work on fighters
- Moved the 'Request Docking' from fighter bay to helm
- Stop fighters being able to operate beyond 30KM range if you switch to the Mothership at the last second before the SLF explodes
- Stop AI crew members leaving turret mode of mothership on "Fire at will"
- Vessel Status UI (cockpit): display the correct fighter variant name
- Fixed overlapping text on Role panel orders menu
- Fixed hit markers on the ship schematics in the cockpit being the wrong size and appearing in the wrong position for fighters
- Reduced the severity of a few info messages when changing fighter orders. Now uses a small 'log' message type, rather than the big flashy one
- Only show "No active crew" warning when a hangar module is present
- Unable to terminate crew without horizons
- Crew total payment not updating immediately fixed
- Created binding for opening the orders page (RB+B)
- Reactivate the engineer button when switching back from a fighter
- Allow the Orders GUI to move selection to the top of the list to navigate quickly to the bottom order
- Added the available stats to the fighter details page in the role switch panel
- Role Switch panel flashes, and doesn't let player click on slots and order commands fixed
- Fighters under AI Crew control now use the AI friendly fire rules
- Can no longer select ship description text in fighters tab of role panel
- You are able to purchase a SRV or Fighter that you already currently own into the same slot fixed
- Added in Gimballed versions of the Fighter Weapons so that the lasers don't look so wrong
- Following NPC crew oddities (When NPC crew is flying a player's ship) fixed:
- If MC turrets are fitted and set to Target Only, the combat AI cannot fire them
- Can only use one missile launcher, even if two are fitted
- Missiles are fired at long range and are wasted
- AI doesn't use boost to chase and kill targets, instead lets them get away
- When out of ammo, AI ship should drop back into formation
- Player ships with just missiles won't fight
- After requesting docking, all other order hotkeys are ignored
- AI crew in mothership will not attack targets if they have non combat modules deployed before switching to fighter fixed
- Added clearer message to indicate that the players fighter will be destroyed when they FSD away
- Moved empire fighters hit spheres for the weapons even further forward to help in hitting them
- Use numbers rather than bars for displaying fighter stats
- Wanted NPC has clean fighter fixed
- Fixed bounty credit notification not appearing or being awarded in a fighter when destroying a target with a non-local bounty
- Added loading animation to screen for switching between fighters and main ship
- Fixed missing font glyphs on Role panel when running in Russian
- Fixed commander name having the "Crew" tag on the death screen when killed by a player in a fighter
- Can use hotkeys to send invalid NPC commands to unmanned mothership fixed
- Audio: target destroyed lines of NPC crews and ship voice do not conflict anymore
- Audio: reduced probability of "no more targts" npc crew message down to 40%
- Audio: Fix for Crew member saying wrong line when asked to attack target
- Fix not being able to deploy an SRV or Fighter after resurrecting
- Fix NPC Crew not increasing their total kill count when assisting with destroying NPC and Player ships too low level to award combat rank progression
- Fighter ramming not counting as illegal fixed
- Fixed the incorrect paintjobs used for red and blue in CQC
- Make sure active crew are displayed correctly
- Added an inbox notification when NPC Crew rank up
- Fixed NPC Crew profit share not increasing when ranking up
- Turret settings are recovered when switching back to main ship
- Allow fighters to accept new orders if they've been told to dock
- NPC Crew can't pilot ships near planet surfaces fixed

Surface Features

- New geological features added (fumeroles and geysers)
- Biological entities added
- POIs can now be persistant (applies to new geological and organic features)
- Mysterious things added

Engineers

- Limpet blueprints added
- Scanners (KWS, Cargo, Wake) blueprints added
- Defences (ECM, Chaff, Heat Sinks, and Point Defence Turrets) blueprints added
- Utilities (Life Support, Fuel Scooping, Refinery, AFM) blueprints added
- Added new Engineers!
- Make sure we always get the right string key for existing modification name
- Added ellipses functionality to blueprint text strings. If they are greater than 25 characters an ellipses will be added
- Fixed layout problems in engineers workshop that would cause a scrollbar to appear and have unintended effects
- Fixed bug where engineer special effect animation would always overlay the description of the successful special effect, before the animation had completed

General

- Implementation of patch-based planet rendering on the system and planet maps

NEW CONTENT 1.7

Passengers

- Added passenger modules of different sizes and quality to outfitting
- Tourist beacon (surface and space) added
- Tourist beacons send an inbox message with the blurb for that beacon when scanned
- Passenger Lounge
- Added Passenger Lounge to Station Services
- Travel agents are available in the passenger lounge
- Passengers can be bulk or VIP varieties
- Added in support for mission filtering and selecting cabins in the missions panel for passenger missions
- Added mission themes for the new passenger mission types - plus appropriate icons
- Filtered missions with these themes to their own section on the transaction panel
- Custom welcome lines and titles added
- Added different passenger types
- Aid Worker passenger type added
- Business passenger type added
- Criminal passenger type added
- Explorer passenger type added
- Medical passenger type added
- Minor Celebrity passenger type added
- Political Prisoner passenger type added
- Politician passenger type added
- POW passenger type added
- Prisoner passenger type added
- Protester passenger type added
- Refugee passenger type added
- Scientist passenger type added
- Security passenger type added
- Soldier passenger type added
- Terrorist passenger type added
- Tourist passenger type added
- Head of State passenger type added
- Added UI support for showing passenger entries when cargo scanning
- Passengers (or their representitives) have portraits and names
- Added cabin inventory tab to cockpit panel
- Passenger Liner NPC archetype added
- Passenger cabins require escape pods
- Added passenger liners as possible Massacre Targets
- Ships can be scanned for wanted passengers
- Added stats for passenger contracts
- Passengers use escape pods to abandon ship if they wish to leave
- Added a long time stamp generator for use in expedition missions
- Capacity for Passenger Cabin Size 5 Class 4 has changed from 6 to 8
- Crewed SLF displays player rank, not crew's rank fixed
- Display the NPC crew experience correctly
- Improved the UI flow when selecting which cabin to place your passengers in
- Plugged in Head of State passengers to the passenger sightseeing missions
- Passengers do not eject themselves after failing a bulk mission until you discard the mission from your Transactions tab fixed
- When you abandon a mission and the passengers eject themselves, the message you receive should now appear in your inbox
- NPC chatter/ AI behaviour seems incorrect during PassengerVIP CEO kill chance wrinkle fixed
- Passenger satisfaction now decreases when taking hull damage if they don't react well to danger
- Updated the values, meaning passengers will get more disgruntled at lower ranks, but remain the same amount as before at higher ranks
- Chief medical officer still expects goods wrinkle after declining it fixed
- Updated the sightseeing kill wrinkle, to have its own hand in state - allowing you to continue to kill the spawned enemies if you want to
- Allow sightseeing to be completed even if a cargo wrinkle is active
- Long distance expedition rewards shouldn't increase with each jump
- Abandoning a long distance expedition should now impact faction reputation
- Make pods the most important thing when working out if we can take passengers
- Make passenger cabins replicate properly
- Ensure that a new destination wrinkle doesn't send you to the port you've just come from
- Updated the passenger quantity for the luxury cabin - can now support 8 passengers
- Removed the destination marker for the visit tourist location wrinkle
- Fixed not getting an inbox message about returning to the nearest dock after abandoning a passenger mission
- Updated the states to prevent it sticking on disgruntled checks
- Cannot accept PassengerStowaway mission message when there is one cabin remaining fixed
- Passenger cabins in the inventory panel now match the surrounding styling better
- If a tourist beacon is planetary, stop non-horizons people from accepting it
- After dying with passengers on board and returning to the game there is no message saying that your passengers ejected from the ship fixed
- Updated the passenger VIP templates with the state change effects for new destination system
- Added new passenger modules for various sizes and tweaked capacity numbers for all of them as well
- Balance pass on passenger mission rewards
- Balance pass on passenger mission reputation, influence, and state changes
- Add the bonus money for wrinkles into an inbox - so that players know there is a bonus for them if they do the wrinkle
- Removed explorers from the bulk passenger template
- Changed the scan wrinkle for long distance tourist missions to give a bonus for not getting scanned, rather than taking money away if you do get scanned
- Passenger sightseeing mission was blocked from being handed in by inbox request for items fixed
- Don't fail a mission if a fighter is destroyed
- Reduced jump distances for visit tourist locations in passenger VIP missions
- Corrected which VIPs get the wrinkles that they should have
- Remove assert when we try to parse a passenger contract without a passenger cabin container (i.e. in an SRV)
- Stuck in the cabin section of inventory tab in the right panel when you switch to a different ship with a cabin selected fixed
- Changing the POW passengers to appear as security guards to match the text of the mission
- When you abandon a mission and the passengers eject themselves, the message you receive does not actually appear in your inbox fixed
- Allows the player to hand in the cargo without the cargo. Should the player dock at the final station without the cargo, the passengers will get mildy annoyed - preventing the player from exploiting the goods demanded wrinkle
- Ship hull damage while in an SRV or Fighter does not effect passenger happiness state fixed
- Fixed passenger satisfaction decreasing when SRV is damaged
- Body location is now shown on long distance expeditions
- Tourist beacon wrinkle will no longer spawn twice with passenger vip wrinkles
- Tell mission listeners when progression is blocked so they don't try to trigger mission progression during location changes
- Fix the transaction panel to show goods demanded at correct times
- Manifest scanner returning incorrect results from passenger vessels fixed
- No inbox message appears when scanning a Nav Beacon during a Passenger VIP mission fixed
- Long distance expedition missions are not displaying body location of the tourist beacon in the transactions fixed
- Fixed detection of planetary tourist sites
- Audio: Fixed click in loop on Tourist beacon
- Audio: Fixed a very loud tourist beacon
- Passenger missions not displaying or paying out rewards on hand in fixed
- Updated the transaction tab for passenger sightseeing conflict, and for passenger vip conflict. They now include the system address for the conflict zone
- Remove commodities bought for passengers when completing a mission
- More balance tweaks for reputation, influence and state effects
- Player has been scanned - When scanned just once, the inbox message will pop up several times until the passenger is disgruntled fixed
- Stop passenger cabins containing passengers from being swappable
- Generic passenger generation now fits cabins with Tourists instead of Generics
- Fixed errors in passenger cabin classes and types
- Fix for passengers hiding when the ship is dismissed (from a planetary landing via SRV) and comes back...
- When you abandon a mission and the passengers eject themselves, the message you receive does not actually appear in your inbox fixed
- Fix Passenger mission problems when swapping occupied cabins between module slots
- Updated the tips referenced for political prisoner. They now display the criminal trait
- Fix error when previously occupied passenger cabins are not rebought from the resurrect screen
- Fixed passenger crime scans. Add string for passenger wanted crime
- Fix for passenger cabin allocation vis-a-vis missing pods and accidental restocking

General

- *Mysterious things added*
- Fixed mysterious things not deactivating
- New player power added - Yuri Grom
- Jet effects added to neutron and white dwarf stars
- Updated tutorials
- Instructor character added with dialogue across all training scenarios.
- Added additional on-screen prompts and assists to all training scenarios.
- Updated and improved existing training scenarios:
- Docking and Travel
- Basic Combat
- Added new training scenarios:
- Basic Flight
- Advanced Combat
- Mining
- SRV Training
- Ship Launched Fighter Training
- Mining tutorial added
- Added local player event log
- Option to move owned ships added - it's available from all Shipyards
- Ability to sell ships remotely (from different ports) added
- Module storage added to Outfitting (not currently active in beta)
- Stored modules can be sold (not currently active in beta)
- Add system to support greater variation with station interiors
- Industrial interior pieces added
- Services interior pieces added
- Agricultural interior pieces added
- High Tech interior pieces added
- Add some additional variants for hangar interiors (following the above scheme)
- New layout for Station Services menu
- Added a factor contact for universal fines, bonds and bounties handling - found in low security systems
- Various station contacts now have faces and names
- Added a security filter to the Galaxy Map
- Added the ability to use a filter to govern systems used in route plotting in the galaxy map
- Visited stars filter added to the galaxy map (this uses local storage so will only record stars visited from 2.2 release)
- Add a method for semi-automatically replotting a route to the previous destination, if the route was lost after logging out of the game or jumping away from the route
- Added fixed point locations using CQC assets
- Added planet surfaces to planetary map
- Added docked and state variants of the capital ships
- Capital ship docks added to various locations
- Added a Faction Status Summary to the local GalNet news feed
- Added an info message popup which displays the security level and, if necessary, the state of the system when jumping to a new system
- Added "Press BUTTON to abort" to the jump-to-system info, where BUTTON is the most relevant of the various FSD input bindings
- Added UI for the engine spooling when taking off from planetary surfaces
- Mission cargo can be sold on the black market

Stability Fixes

- Fixed network crash caused by non-replicated objects having replicated children
- Fix for asserts/crashes and wrong items showing in outfitting when adjusting the sorting for buyback items
- Fix a potential NaN in the vehicle system
- Fix error while switching user while in matchmaking for CQC
- Fix crash during high res screen capture
- Fix a server crash if a CQC game ends at the same time the lobby is shut down
- Fix a crash when searching for an exact system name that doesn't exist
- Fix crash in CQC when taking damage and a contributing player doesn't exist any more, likely due to quitting
- Fix a crash in CQC if we try to send a message to or about a player that is no longer in the game, also a tweak to getting player params to return a default value if that player is no longer in the game
- Xbox One: The title enters a semi unresponsive state when changing the Yaw Axis Preset from within the Controls Options fixed
- Fixed a crash when trying to get a name from a non-existent system
- Fixed crash that often occurs when self-destructing an SRV - but could conceivable occur during initialisation of any new ship
- Fixed a crash during transition states is a valid ship isn’t available
- Fixed crash exiting CQC
- Fixed a crash trying to create an NPC pilot in an invalid vehicle
- Prevent crash on game shutdown
- Prevent a crash trying to generate a mission for a station that no longer exists
- Fix a crash with the fighter bay trying to access an invalid state machine
- Fixed crash in the ship launched fighter tutorial
- Fixed crash in the SRV tutorial
- Fixed soft-lock on station services home screen if you spam click the quick refuel/reload/repair button
- Fixed the game locking up when editing/deleting a bookmark
- Fixed crash when finishing VR experience tutorial
- Trying to switch into a retrieved fighter crashes the game fixed
- Fixed an occasional crash in open vr on startup. Prevent presenting when SDK Rendering isn't setup
- Fixed CQC CTF assert when picking up a flag after previously dropping a flag
- Fixed an error in terrain cube sphere mapping
- Prevent attempting to eject a cargo unit that is already queued for ejection
- Livery modules are no longer added to the list of newly purchased modules
- Don't try to access control bindings while they're loading
- Fix a crash if a planet made completely out of gas cannot hold onto its own gas and so has no mass
- AI fighters can validly spawn as independent ships, not linked to any parent ship, so cope with this case in Fighter Stow
- Fix a crash when a POI tries to spawn the same time the player is disconnected
- Fixed a crash in the role switch panel
- Fix vehicle switching crashes in the SRV tutorial
- Mark a persistent POI as invalid if it fails to find a position for its first attempt, this fixes a crash that it causes on some planets
- Fixed an error with an audio emitter
- Fixed an error with a mysterious thing in the contacts panel
- Fix for an assert failure when loading game into a fighter and using the role switch panel
- Fixed crash when shooting Skimmers due to them not having a vessel ownership
- Fixed soft lock when backing out of launchable livery
- Fixed soft lock when selecting a cabin from your inventory tab
- Added some sanity checking to cargo transfer so we don't try to move from non-existent inventories
- Fix an assert caused by damage being moved between a ship and its modules causing it to lose the original machine the damage came from
- Fixed soft lock in outfitting when the user has the livery vessel selection dialog is open, but then instead selects an outfitting group from the left
- Removed crash telemetry if entering a location takes more than 2 minutes
- Fixed outfitting crash when previewing a fighter while docked at a planet port
- Allow the "visited stars" map filter to apply to route-plotting
- Fixed crash when starting the game with an HMD for some monitor/resolution combinations
- Fix a low level vertex locking crash
- Fix a crash when self-destructing the SRV
- Fixed JSON error in ship delivery
- If we lose connection with server immediately after connection, before mtu discovery is complete, don't crash, reset mtu discovery for another go around
- Server time synchronisation can soft-lock the game fixed
- Ensure that system map materials get destroyed on shutdown
- Fix crash swapping modules in outfitting
- No longer assert when trying to add an item which is supposed to be empty
- Fix for buyback and stored items being deleted in one array but not another
- Don't crash if the planets materials are not sensible
- Fixed error loading civilian installation
- Fixed a memory leak with the terrain compute shaders
- Updating the contents of module storage in UI was causing the UI to unlock earlier than intended fixed
- Fixed crash in outfitting where players were able to try to access data before it was ready
- Fixed an issue with a highly eccentric planet orbiting a single star and intersecting it
- Fixed an assert in CQC when damaged by an explosion from a destructible
- Module Transfer Crash - Trying to fit a module into a slot that it won't fit into fixed
- Fixed a crash when killing a faction ship
- Fix a server disconnection when boarding an SRV at a planet station after the ship has been destroyed
- Catch cases where physics objects returned in an ai probe are destroyed before being used
- Fixed crash when role switching
- Fixed memory leak in system map
- Fix for crash when bulk storing large ships
- Disconnect after deploying SRV then requesting boarding with an SRV at Planetary Outposts/Stations fixed
- Spawn our ship in space on Xbox One instead of crashing if the launch bay is not valid.
;)

killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Soooooo...... I'm tempted by this during the Steam sale. Are you folks still playing it?

If I imagine it to be like other similar space trading/fighting games (Freelancer, the original Elite, Space Rangers 2, Void Expanse, the X series, EVE, etc.) will I be satisfied? I'm sort of seeing it like EVE minus griefers since I will only play solo, or a different, non-"space industry mogul" X game.

There's a bundle with the Horizons DLC included. How many of you still feel screwed by them coming out with a full price (no discount for existing patrons) expansion so soon after the original game came out?

Oh now I'm remembering the video where it took the guy 5 minutes to dock. Are there ways around pointless timewasting like that as there are in the X games?
There is no hug button. Sad!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

killbot737 wrote:Oh now I'm remembering the video where it took the guy 5 minutes to dock. Are there ways around pointless timewasting like that as there are in the X games?
Not to pat myself on the back, but back when I was playing the game I never found docking to be a big deal. I used a Saitek joystick with twist stick for rudder control and after a small learning curve I found that it wasn't a big deal, and in fact it was part of the fun of the game, hand-flying your ship to the landing pad. I gave up on the game because I found the gameplay to be repetitive, but docking was always a bit exciting and a good way to challenge yourself on your piloting skills.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Early on, the docking computer wasn't very good at compensating for traffic activity. I once lost a ship because the docking computer flew me straight into an Orca that was departing the station. I believe that issue has been long since sorted out, though.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Michael Brookes, Executive Producer
Sad news indeed - a 'Fisher's Rest' outpost will be added to the game in the 2.3 release.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Likely to become a hive for scum and villainy.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

In my first run-through of this game I played with my flight stick and throttle.

Now I'm going in with a new oculus rift and touch controller...

What Control schema are people playing with? There seem to be a few controller setups, like: Controller, Controller2, Advanced Controller, etc?

I used Controller , and I am having a hell of a time dropping out of warp, etc - and wonder if there is maybe a preferred setup I should be pointed to.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Unagi wrote:In my first run-through of this game I played with my flight stick and throttle.

Now I'm going in with a new oculus rift and touch controller...

What Control schema are people playing with? There seem to be a few controller setups, like: Controller, Controller2, Advanced Controller, etc?

I used Controller , and I am having a hell of a time dropping out of warp, etc - and wonder if there is maybe a preferred setup I should be pointed to.
I am using a Rift with the Logitech 3D pro. Still configuring the buttons how I want them but it works pretty good so far.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It appears that the Thargoids have returned...

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just got my email on this and came to post. I do have a different video I can post. I really really need to play this one day haha.

Its like out of a movie
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I particularly like how the canopy started to ice up once he lost power to life support. :)

TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Max Peck wrote:I particularly like how the canopy started to ice up once he lost power to life support. :)
This game has always been very well designed like that. If you turn off life support or your canopy cracks open, all sounds become really muted (you're essentially just hearing whatever vibrations that are affecting your suit since there's no longer any air for sound to travel through) and the canopy frosts over. If your ship overheats, sparks start flying around and smoke begins to drift out of the instruments in the cockpit. It all looks and feels extra good in VR too.

Many people deliberately turn off their life support along with other systems in order to reduce their heat signature while smuggling illegal goods. If you can bring your ship's heat down low enough, other ships will only be able to spot you through actual line of sight, and you'll be invisible on most radar systems. Another option people can use is to put their ship into silent running, which prevents it from ejecting any of the heat it produces. This obviously makes the ship itself heat up quite a bit, so anyone who uses this kind of thing needs to finish what they're doing quick, or they're likely to take quite a bit of damage or even outright explode from excessive heat. A more common strategy is just to accelerate towards a station's entrance from far away, turn off everything in the ship, and drift silently inside the station without anyone even knowing you're there. Watching patrol ships flying nearby while you're stuck in a lifeless, cold shell of a ship that drifts helplessly through the void is part of what makes smuggling fun.
Insert witty comment here.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yup. I got into trouble once and ended up fleeing from a battle with a shattered canopy. In addition to the effects TiLT describes, the HUD was only visible on the portions of the canopy that hadn't been blown into space, which made navigating fun. I managed to get away and docked at a station with less than a minute of emergency life support remaining. Good times. :)

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I keep going back and forth on this game. I'm actually starting to feel the space game itch, and the best I have in my roster is X3 - but it's pretty heavily modded and I'm working on a save that's got something like 250 hours logged in it, with a fleet of ships and factories. I really like feeling like a big fish in the game universe and setting up trade routes, outfitting ships, managing the empire, etc.. but it's dated, and I've really "been there, done that" in just about every sector of the game.

I have absolutely no interest in Open PvP, but like the idea of "Friend PvE" and simple "Solo" play. I've read there's also a large private group that does just PvE (a few thousand people) so if I wanted to be even a little social, I could go there.
  • Is there any "management" in this game, or do you just have ships in a hangar waiting for you to use them?
  • How complicated is the game overall? I prefer a nice (steep or even painful) learning curve, not spoon-fed button mashing and numerous quicktime events.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Paingod wrote:I keep going back and forth on this game. I'm actually starting to feel the space game itch, and the best I have in my roster is X3 - but it's pretty heavily modded and I'm working on a save that's got something like 250 hours logged in it, with a fleet of ships and factories. I really like feeling like a big fish in the game universe and setting up trade routes, outfitting ships, managing the empire, etc.. but it's dated, and I've really "been there, done that" in just about every sector of the game.

I have absolutely no interest in Open PvP, but like the idea of "Friend PvE" and simple "Solo" play. I've read there's also a large private group that does just PvE (a few thousand people) so if I wanted to be even a little social, I could go there.
  • Is there any "management" in this game, or do you just have ships in a hangar waiting for you to use them?
  • How complicated is the game overall? I prefer a nice (steep or even painful) learning curve, not spoon-fed button mashing and numerous quicktime events.
Well you're able to play the game in solo mode (although I never felt overwhelmed by player pirates - there are enough dangerous AI pirates in this game to keep a trader on his toes).

While I'm not sure what you mean by "management", the game is a flight simulator first, economy simulator second. The most enjoyment I found in the game were simple things like docking and undocking, scanning undiscovered stellar objects and landing on planets, with the engine sounds and the feeling of flying and the wonder of space. It really is a beautiful game. I don't think it's much of a tycoon kind of game if that's what you mean. Making money is an important part of the game, but there's no automatization of factories or anything like that (as far as I know). If you're looking for that kind of game, EvE Online has that focus.

In terms of being complicated, I'd say it's not too bad for a simulator. There are no quicktime events and no button mashing but it's not like flying a Boeing 747 either.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club