Half-life 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

DD*

Half-life 3

Post by DD* »

Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Daehawk

Re: Half-life 3

Post by Daehawk »

It better not come out before ep 3 or I boycott. :) I am serious though it better be ep 3 first.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

There might be a Half Life 3, but there won't be a Half Life 2: Episode 3. It was abandoned long ago.
Insert witty comment here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats a reall shame because I enjoyed ep 1 and 2 more than the whole HL2 game. Modded up ive played them 2 or 3 times waiting on ep 3. Well guess Valve lied again. Bout had enough of them :)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

What has Valve given us instead of Episode 3, and is it better than Episode 3?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Well, it might be better than Episode 3; they could have hired Charles Nelson Reilly to voice Gordon ;).
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Wut.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

12 years. VR only.

Boo.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yawn
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I want Episode Three, damn it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
naednek

Post by naednek »

Valve sure knows what their consumers want... Meh
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Be interesting to see if someone smashes their VR helmet when they get a crab on their head.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've actually kind of called it the last time the HL 3 conversation came around. I basically said that any future HL game would likely end up becoming a Vive exclusive. The difference between then and now is that back then there was a lot more enthusiasm for VR. Now it feels like it's 'too little too late'.

Jaymann wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:58 am Be interesting to see if someone smashes their VR helmet when they get a crab on their head.
Well, you know what they should totally do. Make a limited edition headcrab version of the Vive.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

We're proud to announce Left 4 Dead 3. Available on both Android and Apple phones.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Also: A set of Source 2 tools for building new environments will ship with the game, enabling any player to build and contribute new environments for the community to enjoy. Hammer, Valve’s level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game’s virtual reality gameplay tools and components.

Game is included with any Index headset or controller purchase.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That kind of looks stupid. There's also the fact that if someone were to play this, they'd then want to play through the original HL2, but that wouldn't be available in VR. Why would they create a prequel in VR when you can't go on to continue the experience.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure they have their reasons, but making this a VR headset exclusive title is unfortunate.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:38 pm I'm sure they have their reasons, but making this a VR headset exclusive title is unfortunate.
This. I want to play it, but I'm never getting a VR headset.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm absolutely getting a VR headset, once the fourth or fifth generation is out and I can pick up a second or third gen at bargain prices (and bargain hardware will run the games for it.) I'd absolutely love to game in VR. But that won't be for a while, so I'm effectively out of the market for this game.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:30 pm I'm absolutely getting a VR headset, once the fourth or fifth generation is out and I can pick up a second or third gen at bargain prices (and bargain hardware will run the games for it.) I'd absolutely love to game in VR. But that won't be for a while, so I'm effectively out of the market for this game.
True, I shouldn't say never. Maybe by 2025 or 2030 I'll get one.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:46 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:30 pm I'm absolutely getting a VR headset, once the fourth or fifth generation is out and I can pick up a second or third gen at bargain prices (and bargain hardware will run the games for it.) I'd absolutely love to game in VR. But that won't be for a while, so I'm effectively out of the market for this game.
Well, you say that. But the minute Tesla puts out a VR headset to use with their cars....

:wink:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

And Half-Life 5 will be a neural implant exclusive.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TheMix wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:54 pm
Well, you say that. But the minute Tesla puts out a VR headset to use with their cars....

Guilty as charged.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Sorry to disrupt the grumptrain but I have a vive and this looks fantastic :mrgreen:

Might even be enough to get me to pick up some index controllers.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

As a Vive owner, I apparently already own this. Yay I guess. I'm a bit of an odd man out in that I loved Half-Life 1 but was really disappointed in Half-Life 2. So much so that it was literally years after the episodes released that I bothered to give them a shot. This of course made them even less appealing to me since all of the cool groundbreaking stuff they had done had been aped and improved upon by numerous other games at that point.

Alyx looks kind of neat though. I like that they are trying to make the environments seem more realistic than most VR games. It's a small thing but pushing items out of the way to peak at enemies or locate items in the environment is quite unique. If the enemies are able to react to that realistically it will be a game changer for immersion.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Gryndyl wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:10 am Sorry to disrupt the grumptrain but I have a vive and this looks fantastic :mrgreen:

There's no question. It looks fantastic! And I would really like to play it. But I can't, and neither can the vast majority of people who've waited more than a decade for more Half-Life. A decade of people asking, prodding, begging for more Half-Life. And finally it comes - to a very limited market.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Somebody needs to create an adapter so you can play VR titles on your PC.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:09 pm Somebody needs to create an adapter so you can play VR titles on your PC.
I'd be very surprised if it isn't made compatible for non-VR down the road, Valve needs to try and sell some more hardware first.
Gryndyl wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:10 am Might even be enough to get me to pick up some index controllers.
I was thinking the same thing, but after looking into it the index controllers don't have many programs that take advantage of it's design/capabilities and they haven't said if Alyx will either. The price doesn't seem worth it at this time since the standard controllers don't bother me much. Think I'm waiting until the finger tracking gets sorted out and implemented in stuff.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:50 pm
Gryndyl wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:10 am Sorry to disrupt the grumptrain but I have a vive and this looks fantastic :mrgreen:

There's no question. It looks fantastic! And I would really like to play it. But I can't, and neither can the vast majority of people who've waited more than a decade for more Half-Life. A decade of people asking, prodding, begging for more Half-Life. And finally it comes - to a very limited market.
Yep, that's just it. It may be the greatest Half-Life game ever produced, but fewer people will get to experience it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:58 pm
TheMix wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Guilty as charged.
So a VR headset to simulate driving while your self-driving Tesla drives you somewhere...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So you can play Half-Life...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A car without windows could be a lot safer than one with... just set up cameras on the outside and translate it to VR!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You know, strangely with all the hardware data Valve collects and the stats that go with it, you'd think maybe they would know this wouldn't be a good idea, to make another Half-Life game be a VR exclusive. Apparently, the total percentage of Steam users with a VR setup is just over 1%! Given how huge a userbase Steam has, that's kind of scary. And then apparently out of the users using the 50 most-used cards, only 37% have VR-ready cards. According to a guy on Reddit who compiled the freely available data and compared it to Valve's VR Performance Test. That seems somewhat of a big risk to take.

https://kotaku.com/data-suggests-most-s ... 1840037617

Some have speculated that this is a tech-demo for Source 2.0, the same way HL2 was for Source, and that it will pave the way for more mods and companies using the new engine.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:43 am You know, strangely with all the hardware data Valve collects and the stats that go with it, you'd think maybe they would know this wouldn't be a good idea, to make another Half-Life game be a VR exclusive. Apparently, the total percentage of Steam users with a VR setup is just over 1%! Given how huge a userbase Steam has, that's kind of scary. And then apparently out of the users using the 50 most-used cards, only 37% have VR-ready cards. According to a guy on Reddit who compiled the freely available data and compared it to Valve's VR Performance Test. That seems somewhat of a big risk to take.

Some have speculated that this is a tech-demo for Source 2.0, the same way HL2 was for Source, and that it will pave the way for more mods and companies using the new engine.
I'm sure a big part of it is the fact that they have their own VR gear now. They probably suspect(and rightfully so), that this could push some more people into investing in VR and hopefully in their VR stuff.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Punisher wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:48 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:43 am You know, strangely with all the hardware data Valve collects and the stats that go with it, you'd think maybe they would know this wouldn't be a good idea, to make another Half-Life game be a VR exclusive. Apparently, the total percentage of Steam users with a VR setup is just over 1%! Given how huge a userbase Steam has, that's kind of scary. And then apparently out of the users using the 50 most-used cards, only 37% have VR-ready cards. According to a guy on Reddit who compiled the freely available data and compared it to Valve's VR Performance Test. That seems somewhat of a big risk to take.

I'm sure a big part of it is the fact that they have their own VR gear now. They probably suspect(and rightfully so), that this could push some more people into investing in VR and hopefully in their VR stuff.
As someone said -

Gamers: Why should we buy a VR Headset? There aren't any good games for it!
Valve: OK, here's Half Life 3 in VR.
Gamers: Nobody has VR! How could you release Half Life 3 only in VR?

I'm glad they are pushing the envelope.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yeah, you’re looking at this a little backwards. Just as Half-Life 2 launched Steam, Half-Life: Alyx is being used to launch Steam VR. Do you remember what a joke Steam was on launch and how many people hated it being a requirement? I sure do because when I received Half-Life 2 I was back on a 56k modem and couldn’t play the damn thing for like 2 days because of mandatory updates.

Valve really doesn’t care if HLA is a success on its own because Valve doesn’t need your money. Valve will remain one the wealthiest game companies in the world regardless of if they never release another game of their own because Steam prints money for them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The big difference being that all anybody in the hobby needed to play HL2 was a free download.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Lordnine wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:15 pm Do you remember what a joke Steam was on launch and how many people hated it being a requirement?
Yep, I sure do remember it. That aweful green colour scheme is hard to forget, and early versions of Steam were not so good. And then people complained about the previous redesign, ha!

Yeah, I know what they're hoping to achieve and I know they don't need my money. The point is, that more than anyone, they're the ones who should know wether it will be successful or not, with all that data sitting around. So, it's why it's so striking that the stats are so low.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti