Fallout 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Fallout 4

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think there's a backup utility on nexusmods that takes "snapshots" of your main Fallout4 EXE so this is no longer a problem. However, F4SE team has already updated. This however, also broke LooksMenu and ModConfigMenu, which was expecting the older version of EXE.

And I just realized I've gone down the proverbial rabbit hole with all the mods. Some of the mods require more mods, which yet requires more mods, patches, and more interoperability patches. Now I kinda don't care about a lot of the stuff I've downloaded, as they no longer seem to work with each other or were no longer updated.

For example, "Better Mod Descriptions" has bajillion "patches" to account for the new mods and individual weapons added. When Weaponsmith needs you to install a dozen more weapon expansions because he couldn't get the author's permission to include it in his consolidated install, he obviously couldn't provide a modified mod descriptions either, so we end up with a dozen MORE patches for that, then you realize the Better Mod Description file were expecting the OLD Weaponsmith master files, and there had been no new updates, and you go ARGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! Wasted 30 minutes trying to chase down the different files, only to realize they don't exist.

Should have removed the mod, but was afraid to break the save game. I've just reached L50, and doing a couple more railroad missions before going to the glowing sea to meet the institute.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There have been a few times in ES and FO games that I've put myself into 'mod lockdown' mode. I've got a smoothly running, heavily modded install, and a bunch of updates come out. Rather than messing with what you're describing, I simply choose to finish the game with everything as it is rather than update any of it.

And I'm starting to feel a bit of an itch for a Skyrim expedition, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Yeah, it has been a real problem lately with the whole update frenzy just when you get into a good role playing session and have everything working smoothly, something breaks or is broken by a patch and you have to stop and go into maintenance mode and hope you duct tape it together again and keep playing. I honestly would prefer to return to the good old days when patches for both games and operating systems were months apart.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

<DBT sits quietly with his unmodded version that works fine.>
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:15 pm <DBT sits quietly with his unmodded version that works fine.>
Me too. And on an Xbox One, of all places.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just hit L52. I've already killed the Courser, and I'm about to head back to the Glowing Sea to talk to the scientist so I can get into the institute. Got the hazmat suit (in fact, multiple sets) and I just collected ANOTHER set of power armor so I have like 7-8 sets now, some looted off corpses, others just found. May be able to conclude my Railroad career soon.

After a bit of playthrough, here's what I consider to be "essential"

* Achievements -- enable achievements despite using mods
* Better Mod Descriptions -- "Exceptional damage, improved firing rate" into "+75% damage, +25% firing rate"
* AutoSave Manager
* Companion Tracker -- where did your companion went?
* DEF_UI, HUDFramekWork, HUD Plusplus, and ZS 1920x1080 DEF_UI preset
* Faster Terminal Display (20x)
* Keep Commonwealth Radiant quests within the Commonwealth -- bug bix
* Loot Detector -- puts a quest marker on magazines, bobbleheads, collectibles, etc, also has auto-loot capabilities
* Mod Config Menu
* More Smarter Companions -- improves all your companions
* SimSettlements (and its various plug-ins, like Mayors, year 1 and year 2 packs, and other city plans). Basically automates the settlement.
* Unofficial FO4 patch
* Valdacil's Item Sorting

Now, choose one or two of the following:

* Global Stash -- links all the workshops together into common stash you can scrap/recycle from, and instantly transfer them from and to any settlement
* Portable Junk Recycler -- instead of hauling junk back to the settlement for a workshop, you get a portable recycler with you as part of your Pip-boy,
* Salvage Beacon --Build a "comm station" at a settlement, and you can dispatch crew to nab stuff from any container you designate with a "salvage beacon" <-- most lore friendly to be transported to a settlement of your choosing. Time of arrival depends on distance between source, you, and destination.

A couple "quality-of-life" enhancements:

* Auto Loot -- yes, automatically grab EVERYTHING in sight, including anything that can be scrapped, you can also configure it to NOT grab stuff that would be considered stealing, etc. -- note may conflict with Loot Detector
* Everyone's Best Friend -- lets you have a companion AND Dogmeat.
* Glowing items -- make items glow so you can spot them better. Sorta-cheat esp. on mines and traps.
* Lowered weapons -- instead of having gun forward all the time, your weapons are held across your body, slightly lowered.
* Quest Tags -- adds a small tag in front of quests so you know who gave them, like [RR] for Railroad quests, and so on
* Rich Merchants -- let merchants have 10000 caps (or so) instead of the much lower amount they typically come with.
* See-thru Scopes -- lets your "iron-sights" view from rifle look through any scope you mounted.
* Wearable Backpacks and Pouches -- you can make them cosmetic, or modify them like armor at workshop and add carrying capacity, ballistic weave, fire retardant layer, and so on.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

About to hit L53. Just bought Home Plate, not decided who to go for help to build my own molecular relay hijacker. I was thinking Minuteman, as I don't want to be beholden to either Brotherhood or Railroad (they basically want to destroy each other).

I am in the institute, and met Father. Was about to partner up with a Courser, which would mean sending Deacon home. But already killed a different courser for PAM.

Dialog is stuck at Railroad. I can't turn in the quest because Desdomona is stuck on making me choose between Minuteman and Railroad.

Just retrieved the "gang leader" for Institute. It appears that next will be Bunker Hill, where I have to choose between Institute and Brotherhood. Or maybe I just build artillery and take down the Pwryden myself, then take down the institute? Or do I prefer the institute over the everyone else? Hmmm... Choices, choices.

Read the terminal on the "gang leader" I retrieved. It appears he was "driven" to become a gang just to feed his people. He apparently wasn't aware he's a synth. So the idea of "suddenly snapped and turned killer" may not be something Institute had to fear.

*sigh* Choices, choices...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Desdemona literally won't say ANYTHING other than "please align with us". If you tell her "I'll think about it" or "I'm going with Minuteman" she'll pretend you said nothing. The ONLY way to continue the dialog chain is to say "Yes, I agree to join you". Not even "I'm warning you Institute is going to attack Bunker Hill" will break her out of that loop.

And that battle was a mess. The Railroad heavies, with heavy weapons like gatlings and such just killed the extra synths. My Courser was marked essential so he just keep standing up after getting nailed but Railroad heavies keep knocking him down. And Brotherhood was just getting annihilated in the 3-way battle despite power armor. I didn't fire a shot, but since Deacon's with me, Deacon did fire back at a few people. Ended up with THREE sets of Type 60 stripped off BOS knights, not to mention big rifles.

Then I killed the courser in a surprise headshot (I have a 14.5mm heavy rifle). Since there are no other synths that made it into the chamber, the 4 synths are free to go. Guess now I have to sweet talk Father into keeping me in the Institute.

Then I can convince Madison Li to go back to BOS, find Virgil's serum, find the Patriot (Railroad's mole in the Institute), then help Minuteman take down the Pwyrden, then take down the institute from within. Or should I just help the Institute which will spare the Minutemen?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am clearing the map of misc quests before I go back to the institute. Went to vault 1080 (NVIDIA sponsored mod to show off their 1080 cards) but it crashes too often for me.

Was exploring to the south near the edge of the glowing sea.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Kasey Chang wrote:Desdemona literally won't say ANYTHING other than "please align with us". If you tell her "I'll think about it" or "I'm going with Minuteman" she'll pretend you said nothing. The ONLY way to continue the dialog chain is to say "Yes, I agree to join you". Not even "I'm warning you Institute is going to attack Bunker Hill" will break her out of that loop.

And that battle was a mess. The Railroad heavies, with heavy weapons like gatlings and such just killed the extra synths. My Courser was marked essential so he just keep standing up after getting nailed but Railroad heavies keep knocking him down. And Brotherhood was just getting annihilated in the 3-way battle despite power armor. I didn't fire a shot, but since Deacon's with me, Deacon did fire back at a few people. Ended up with THREE sets of Type 60 stripped off BOS knights, not to mention big rifles.

Then I killed the courser in a surprise headshot (I have a 14.5mm heavy rifle). Since there are no other synths that made it into the chamber, the 4 synths are free to go. Guess now I have to sweet talk Father into keeping me in the Institute.

Then I can convince Madison Li to go back to BOS, find Virgil's serum, find the Patriot (Railroad's mole in the Institute), then help Minuteman take down the Pwyrden, then take down the institute from within. Or should I just help the Institute which will spare the Minutemen?
Just don't finish the game. My last play through I stopped about where you are now. In good standing with all three factions. I had build strong defenses at every settlement. Through mods had my own vertibird. Traveling patrols. A kickass economy through supply lines and perks.
I figured, my minute men are THE military force in the Commonwealth. I have the Prydwen is locked in, I have keys to the institute, I'm tight with the clandestine spy network (railroad), have fortified outposts in Harborside and nuka world, let me just do all side quests and nation building. Ultimately I was much more satisfied than whe. I finished my play through making false choices not based on my team's actual capabilities.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Combustible Lemur

I just started a new play through in survival with settlement oriented modding, including camping gear for saves. I forgot just how slowly the game progresses in survival but its Hella fun how focused it makes game play. Also, for an older game at this point on a big 4k TV with. XboneX its beautiful.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, maybe I should go off and explore Far Harbor and Nuka World now, and leave the Commonwealth alone for a bit. Need to go find Valentine...

EDIT: Was just exploring the wastes and picking up some misc quest collectibles. Found a couple new locations, nothing too serious. Decided to do it in style... power armor. I have dozens of fusion cores, so I'm not afraid of running out of power. I have so many suits around, i gave Deacon a set too. AND I found AtomCats Garage so I bought yet ANOTHER frame, but will have to go back and forth a bit... Just left it there for now.

Oh, and I can't order Deacon OUT of his suit. Apparently the talk order just never comes up. Had to take pieces off of him to get it repaired and put them back on.

And found another set of X-01 "Enclave Suit", hiding in "abandoned shack" in the glowing sea. I was going to take that suit, but I can't seem to get Deacon to get into my suit. *sigh* So I ordered him into that one.

As Lvl56, I'm probably overpowered for anything I come across. :)
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One of these days I'll go back again. I'd likely set up a 'raider' playthrough focused around Nuka World as my home base this time. Last time was Starlight Drive-In and the Mechanist as the center of my approach. The first time was much more... vanilla. A generalist set up in the starting town.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I may go back in the New Year, though I may skip the Commonwealth quests and head to Nuka World or Far Harbor. Any recommendations on companion? I know Far Harbor should probably be best done with Valentine. But Nuka World? A lot of companions would have problems with you aligning with raiders.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

There's a companion in Nuka-World itself that won't have a problem with it.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If you can't find an old one there are plenty of new ones in Nuka Cola World.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:24 pm Just hit L52. I've already killed the Courser, and I'm about to head back to the Glowing Sea to talk to the scientist so I can get into the institute. Got the hazmat suit (in fact, multiple sets) and I just collected ANOTHER set of power armor so I have like 7-8 sets now, some looted off corpses, others just found. May be able to conclude my Railroad career soon.

After a bit of playthrough, here's what I consider to be "essential"

* Better Mod Descriptions -- "Exceptional damage, improved firing rate" into "+75% damage, +25% firing rate"
* AutoSave Manager
* DEF_UI, HUDFramekWork, HUD Plusplus, and ZS 1920x1080 DEF_UI preset
* Loot Detector -- puts a quest marker on magazines, bobbleheads, collectibles, etc, also has auto-loot capabilities
* Mod Config Menu
* SimSettlements (and its various plug-ins, like Mayors, year 1 and year 2 packs, and other city plans). Basically automates the settlement.
* Unofficial FO4 patch

* Global Stash -- links all the workshops together into common stash you can scrap/recycle from, and instantly transfer them from and to any settlement
* Portable Junk Recycler -- instead of hauling junk back to the settlement for a workshop, you get a portable recycler with you as part of your Pip-boy,
* Salvage Beacon --Build a "comm station" at a settlement, and you can dispatch crew to nab stuff from any container you designate with a "salvage beacon" <-- most lore friendly to be transported to a settlement of your choosing. Time of arrival depends on distance between source, you, and destination.

* Auto Loot -- yes, automatically grab EVERYTHING in sight, including anything that can be scrapped, you can also configure it to NOT grab stuff that would be considered stealing, etc. -- note may conflict with Loot Detector
* Everyone's Best Friend -- lets you have a companion AND Dogmeat.
* Glowing items -- make items glow so you can spot them better. Sorta-cheat esp. on mines and traps.
* Lowered weapons -- instead of having gun forward all the time, your weapons are held across your body, slightly lowered.
* Quest Tags -- adds a small tag in front of quests so you know who gave them, like [RR] for Railroad quests, and so on
* Rich Merchants -- let merchants have 10000 caps (or so) instead of the much lower amount they typically come with.
* See-thru Scopes -- lets your "iron-sights" view from rifle look through any scope you mounted.
* Wearable Backpacks and Pouches -- you can make them cosmetic, or modify them like armor at workshop and add carrying capacity, ballistic weave, fire retardant layer, and so on.
With this talk about gaming franchises and the next Bethesda game, I'm itching to replay and finish Fallout 4. Is this still a good set of essential mods?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

To be honest, I haven't touched FO4 for a year. :)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Honestly, the mods I found essential were two mods. One that fixed a game-breaking bug relating to the Paladin quest line, and one that removed carry weight, since the game had too much useless stuff that you needed for base-building.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fallout is tough. There are a few that are essential (and I'm out of date on this, too.) The problem is that the essential lists most people post are actually lists of what's essential for their personal, subjective playstyle. Some people will turn it into Fallout Souls. Other people will turn it into Sim City. The trick is to pick out the ones that are baseline and skip the ones that are more about individual taste.

From this list, the ones that I'd say make the cut (that I remember) are underlined:

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:24 pm

* AutoSave Manager
* DEF_UI, HUDFramekWork, HUD Plusplus, and ZS 1920x1080 DEF_UI preset (I
* Mod Config Menu
* Unofficial FO4 patch

One of the two - the first is easier, the second makes more in-universe sense.

* Everyone's Best Friend -- lets you have a companion AND Dogmeat. Subjective, but great
Plus:
Full Dialog Interface
Immersive HUD (or possibly FallUI)

And here's where it gets more subjective. I'm too far out of date on this to tell you which ones to get, so this will require a little research:

An audio improvement/overhaul
A texture overhaul
A perk overhaul
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'd add

Easy Hacking (I don't mind the lockpick bit so I haven't bothered with the equivalent mod)
Improved Map with Visible Roads

My current game has a ton more mods because I love adding more quest and location mods but Blackhawk's list plus the two above is more or less my base game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish I could filter non DLC mods on Nexus. Then again some of the DLC looks fun. So will wait to get a GotY on super sale
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Watch here or here. Or better yet, sign up for an account, click 'Add to Waitlist', put in a reasonable price (they both seem to have lows just under $15, so put in $15 if you're patient, maybe $20 if you're less patient) and they'll email you when anywhere has it for that price or less.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I use that almost every day checking my small list of wants. I didn't know about an email alert thing though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:45 am I use that almost every day checking my small list of wants. I didn't know about an email alert thing though.
Just go into your account settings and into 'notifications' under the Waitlist section.

I've moved all of my wishlists over there. One, because it tells me if I there is a deal anywhere (as opposed to Steam which only tells you if there's a deal on Steam, etc.) And two, because I can create multiple wishlists like on Amazon - one for stuff I just want to check out later, one for stuff I actually wish for, one for VR, etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you. Ill need to make an account it seems. Also sounds handy since it will show a deal anywhere.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You do have the option of choosing which stores it tells you about. I deselected anything I don't recognize as a legitimate source (that's not to say the others are illegitimate, just that I don't know them enough to know otherwise.)
Combustible Lemur

Anybody use sim settlements? I just started a new play through with the intention of it being my last. Using plenty of mods and i want to focus on nation building.

I've got the sim settlement mod, and it seems like it covers everything i could want but it's SO big. Used it last time but havent explored the deep functions really. I like the idea of assigning various NPC'S to be the vassal governors of each settlement and then letting them do their thing. But I also thoroughly enjoy making my settlements dominating fortresses within the boston landscape myself.The shipment/supply line mechanic and mod make vendors feel like a connected economy and allow for economy of scale building without the grind of personally gathering all the resources. The sim settlement tax function also helps with that.

What are your experiences? Any pitfalls to look for?

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I just installed it for the first time. But it's for FO4VR. I'm hoping it will help me from becoming too frustrated. I've only just begun the game, and I already have struggled with the settlement building. Right now I can't figure out how to open the interface any other way than by clicking on the workbench. Which, obviously, isn't very helpful. But my current VR control scheme doesn't mention anything about the crafting/building controls.

Also, I believe I won't actually find out anything about Sim Settlements until I find the holotape. I haven't gotten desperate enough yet to look up where to find one.

Anyway... To answer your question, I don't have any experience with it yet. Though, I can tell you that you are still welcome to do your own tweaks. Including settlement defenses. Even encouraged. But you won't have to do things like making sure there is enough food planted, and beds available.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Combustible Lemur

The first holotape is on the third floor of the museum near the refugee minutemen

Combustible Lemur

Yeah, watching the videos reminded me the base mechanics are just the plots which have some utility. I need to explore the management aspects. Fallout and halflife VR are the to biggest siren songs for me to try that out. But not yet..... Not yet.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Half-Life: Alyx was terrific. I'm far less impressed with FO4VR. I only have a handful of mods, and it's still a struggle. As in harder than it was with Skyrim. I expected it to be similar, but the VR for FO4 seems way less developed. A lot fewer mods, a lot less documentation. It feels like more work.

I'm hoping it will feel better once I get some controls that work. But I can't figure out how to do that. And the available profiles are all over the place. Though when you get there, I may be able to offer some advice by then. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:07 pm The first holotape is on the third floor of the museum near the refugee minutemen

Thanks. I figured it was pretty close.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:52 pm

What are your experiences? Any pitfalls to look for?
I have never tried it, but I do recall hearing that you should avoid having Sanctuary, Red Rocket, and the nearby farm (Abernathy?) all going at the same time. Fallout/Elder Scrolls loads everything a certain distance around you. It's like standing on graph paper - you load your square and everything within X-squares of yours. Those settlements are so close that if you are in certain parts of the area, all three are loaded and active simultaneously which will make your computer run around the room screaming as it bursts in to flames. It will also crash the game.

I think the advice was that you should pick two of the three to develop with the AI plans, and that you should let one of those finish completely before starting the other (so the scripts aren't running for both at the same time.) The same was true of the Castle and settlements close by.

It isn't a huge problem if you know not to do them at once, but I'd suggest reading up on it to be safe.
Combustible Lemur

Huh, fascinating and good to know. I may just keep red rocket as my personal getaway. I usually make the drive-in my main base. But I'm planning on giving garvey sanctuary. And expanding from there

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've actually never tried to make the Red Rocket into a settlement. I don't think I ever did the drive-in either. Or the house by the lake. Usually I only build up the places that actually have people already. With a few exceptions. I do the way southern one by the lake so that I have a place in that region to dump supplies and relax. And the last game I built up the one by the stadium as my base because it was more central than Sanctuary.

Maybe, assuming I can get things working, I'll try some different places.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The drive-in is actually one of the best spots for a home base if you enjoy building. It is huge and it is flat. That's something most other places don't have. And it comes with one massive 'wall' already in place. It's where I built on my second play-through.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I always build at the drive in. And I'm always annoyed that you can't snap anything to the screen and actually make it part of a building.

Edit - there is probably a mod for that. Or perhaps you can attached things to the top of the screen and build down from there?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Today I discovered wabbajack and the existence of pre-made mod loads. There is one for Fallout 4 VR.

Then I discovered that it requires all the mods for Fallout 4. :(

Guess I'll start paying more attention to the sales on the GotY version.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I finished this in early 2016. Ive planned to return one day but it stayed so fresh in my memory I couldn't do it. I did try a few months back but I wanted to really mod it up this next go and many mods required me to own the DLCs and I didn't have even one of those.

A few weeks back I found the FO4 GotY edition with all DLC included for $10 and couldn't pass it up. So now I can mod it up good. About the time I found the game cheap my video card took a dump and I couldn't even load it on my backup GTX 260 lol. Mod or not. But now that Im back off that backup I can try again.

I thought I had no mods back then but loading a save to look around calls on like 15 mods I was using back then I dont have now. It loads though and lets me peek a bit. I have a TON of modding to do. It will take me a week. No hurry as I dont plan to play for a bit. Still playing SWTOR until my payed time runs out. Had to cancel due to money concerns wee. Heck I may not get to it even though Ive reinstalled it. I do that sometimes. Get excited. Even install a game. Then dont get to it and delete again. Shall see.